• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

XY/ORAS Singles Been a while - Here's my latest team.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Alomomola @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Wish
- Protect

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Taunt
- Brave Bird

Flygon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Focus Punch
- Poison Jab
- Substitute

Magneton @ Eviolite
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Metal Sound

Haxorus @ Lum Berry
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Poison Jab
- Dragon Dance

As all of my teams have lately, this team lacks a bit on the direct power, relying heavily on thoroughly crippling every member of the enemy team I can. Straying a bit from my usual, I've packed a couple of niche, direct counters, but they're very functional even in the absence of what they counter.

Alomomola - It's horribly walled by anything with substitute, horribly maimed by anything with high special attack.. and does anywhere from okay to outstanding against everything else. This set is already tried and true despite the potential problems substitute can cause.

Talonflame - WoW + Special bulk has been done before, and Taunt + Roost allows me to complete a basic triad of coverage, giving me something of an edge over just about any kind of pokemon without an explicit typing advantage or powerful rock move.
Priority-backed Brave Bird is just a nice icing on the cake. It doesn't OHKO most pokemon, but it doesn't really need to either - Talonflame's presence spooks anything weak to flying out of the game anyway.

Flygon - Best hazard removal, nice pivot in U-turn. Very good at spooking heatran away and takes a lot of punishment from being switched in quite well. Earthquake is in the same boat as Brave Bird - Hits reasonably hard, but not hard enough to do more than a cleanup job.

Toxicroak - A personal favorite pokemon for a long time, and a pretty good means of dealing with almost any water type not named Starmie, Slowbro or Slowking, and even in Starmie's case I've got sucker punch to back me up pretty well.

Magneton - A very smooth blend of bulk, speed and power - Magneton is faster and slightly bulkier than Magnezone, and I use that speed to surprise and KO Heatrans. The EVs listed will place me at 5 points above a 0 speed and neutral nature Heatran.
Metal Sound helps to ease prediction and also ensures a OHKO on bulky heatran... the occasional speedy heatran will win regardless, unfortunately.

Haxorus - Another personal favorite, and a very powerful dragon lacking the 4x weakness to ice that most others of its caliber have. Since I don't have Heal Bell/Aromatherapy and also don't have another truly powerful attacker, I feel like the Lum Berry is mandatory and can buy me a free set-up turn in critical situations.

and Finally, a few replays of the team in action:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-258741332
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-258743077
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-258744418
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-258744988

Any potential improvements or pokemon substitutions would be appreciate :)

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I'd be tempted to stick Bulk Up on Talonflame, give Haxorus the Taunt instead and pray Togekiss doesn't show up ever, but that's personal preference.

Also I always preferred Drain Punch on that Toxicroak set over Focus Punch.

Nothing otherwise that screams "GET RID" though.