• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Best Pokemon Nicknames???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Update: one of my teams is named after brands of iced tea. I have Lipton, Tazo, Brisk, Nestle, Fuze, and Snapple. :3

Future teams I'm planning include programming languages (Java and Python anyone?) and maybe like niconico douga singers idk I'll cross that bridge when I get there |D

My favorite thing to do is nickname a Totodile Jawsome....
IT'S CUUteeeeeee~~~~
And I once went with naming all Pokemon like real life animals.
So I had Whale (Wailord), Dog(Mightyena), Pig( Grumpig), Cat (Delcatty), Bird ( Swellow) and Lizard ( Sceptile).
It was a good run.....

I just started nicknaming my pokèmon but the ones I try to come up with I try to go with something that will work with any evolutions it may have (pikachu=The Chu) also I like to use ideas from some of my favorite things like music or tv shows. I got one name from an old tv show called The Monkees it was the name of an alien plant so I thought it was perfect for my treecko(Frodis). I hope this helps you with picking your pokèmons nicknames.

Not so long ago, I did a run of Pokemon Blue, so all of my Pokemon were named after the characters from LoTR.
So, we have Frodo the Venusaur, Sam the Arcanine, Gandalf the Primeape, Legolas the Fearow, Aragorn the Lapras and Arwen the Jolteon.

Oh, and don;t think I forgot about Gollum. What do you think I named my Pikachu? >:D

Occasionally I name my Pokemon after video game characters, but more frequently their names are puns. I don't think I'll ever be able to top the nicknames I gave to my stable of Pokemon back in Crystal:

Raikou D'Etat
Leaving Suicune (this one only works if you pronounce Suicune the way I do - S'soon.)
Entei AtOwnRisk
Hawking A Lugia
Tyranitar Pit
DarkStormy Dragonite

I tend to give my Pokemon strange, random nicknames, at least lately. For example, I have a Carbink named Garlicbread because I was hungry, or a Lotad named Partypants because I thought it was amusing. However, I have an entire game (Black 2) where everyone is named something from Roman history, such as Lucretia the Mareep or Romulus the Riolu. However, I tend to put a bit more thought into my starter's names. In the first game of a region or generation, I take the Japanese name of the starter and make a name from it. That's where Raja the Snivy and Poach the Piplup came from. I may be on a kick from some fandom and name some Pokemon from it. I remember one Eevee I named L. Kynes, or Liet-Kynes, from the Dune Universe.

When I name pokemon I usually find a name relating to the pokemon's element, lore, or the animal it was based off of
For Example:
Nidoking: Ailesh which means "King of All"
Vaporeon: Leith meaning "River"
Staraptor: Ahio meaning "Whirlwind"

I thought some Eeveelutions could do since I love Eevee and Eeveelutions! ♥
Eevee: Cocoa
Vaporeon: Misty
Jolteon: Lucky/Sparkles
Flareon: Flare/Fireheart
Espeon: Stardust/Sun
Umbreon: MoonMist/Moonlight
Leafeon: Leaf/Green
Glaceon: Glace/Glaze/Elsa
Sylveon: Ribbons
120px-EeveeEssences_WallGraphics.png

Rio1ink

Formerly Derpy Lucario
lucario named cobalt, charizard named charcoal(if its shiny), pidgeot named sky, sharpedo named bullet

Lately, I've been naming Pokemon after characters from one of Tolkien's books (There are sooo many names and none of them are really mundane/everyday names.) Other than that, I usually do the whole alliteration thing or a spin off the usual name

Like, I have a Mudkip named Kipler. Or Rally the Ralts. Actually, I just swapped the W for an R in Wally's name but... you get why I did it.

Sometimes, I don't have a theme and I just end up calling one species of Pokemon a particular name because I just like calling them that name

Odolwa the Snivy or Trick the Treecko.

I always nickname every Pokemon I use in teams, and even the wild caught Pokemon.
Nickname is based on what kind of Pokemon I have, and their gender. I will nickname them after my favorite characters from movies or TV shows (based on the species of the Pokemon)
Most Pokemon based on mustelids, meerkats or mongoose I will give them nicknames after the tv show "Meerkat Manor"
Other times I will look up names depending on the language of the game I'm playing - so If I'm playing a game in Spanish (like my cat team) I'll give them Spanish style nicknames, or if I'm playing the game in French, I'll give them French style nicknames (like my current Canine team) - Kind of long list, so in spoiler.
Alpha Sapphire - Cat Team - theme: Spanish nicknames
• Rosa, the female Delcatty
• Natalia, the female Pyroar
• Benita, the female Meowstic
• Jacinto, the male Liepard
• Alfonso, the male Persian
• Navarro, the male Luxray

Alpha Sapphire - Hoenn Team
• Rose, the female Delcatty
• Zorro, the male Swampert
• Mozart, the male shiny Zangoose
• Rocket, the male Zigzagoon (nicknamed after Rocket Raccon)
• Robin Jay, the female Swellow
• Kiara, the female shiny Mightyena

Omega Ruby - Canine Team - theme: French nicknames
• Jacques, the male Arcanin (Arcanine)
• Bernard, the male Démolosse (Houndoom)
• Cècile, the female Grahyèna (Mightyena)
• Sébastian, the male Mastouffe (Stoutland)
• Adèle, the female Couafarel (Furfrou)
2 Pokemon that I promised would switch between gyms
I can only have 6 Pokemon per team at a time, have 7 for this team
• Adrien, the male Élecsprint (Manectric)
• Marrie, the female Lucario

Omega Ruby - Non-Hoenn Team
• Sophie, the female shiny Watchog
• Mozart, the male shiny Furret
• Zaphod, the male Mienshao
• Grace, the male Glaceon
• Zorrito, the male Zoroark
• Fiona, the female Braixen (with everstone)

X - Fighting-Type Team - theme: Spanish style Lucha Libre
• La Santa, the female Mienshao
• El Lobo, the male Lucario
• El Mago, the male Pangoro
• La Bruja, the female Hawlucha
• Aristóteles, the male Primeape
• La Guerrera, the female Infernape

X - Fox Team
• Fiona, the female Braixen
• Marlene, the female Flareon
• Sophie, the female Ninetales
• Mozart, the male Zorua
• Giovanni, the male Umbreon
• Renard, the male shiny Ninetales

Y - Dark Team - theme: German style nicknames
• Götze, the male Hundemon (Houndoom)
• Hedda, the female Magnayen (Mightyena)
• Müller, the male Sobiris (Sableye)
• Erdmut, the male Kramshef (Honchkrow)
• Kätherina, the female Kleoparda (Liepard)
• Schürrle, the male Zoroark

Y - Early Normal Type Team - theme: Italian style nicknames
• Agnella, the female Raticate
• Giovanni, the male Furret
• Bianca, the female Linoone
• Mario, the male Bibarel
• Giovanna, the female Watchog
• Rafaello, the male Diggersby

Y - Fire Type Team
• Bomyne, the male Arcanine
• Sophie, the female Ninetales
• Rosaria, the female Infernape
• Mozart, the male Delphox
• Robbin Jay, the male Talonflame
• Kiara, the female Pyroar

Y - Water Type Team
• Tim Howard, the male Blastoise
• Zaphod, the male Samurott
• Alexander, the male Seismitoad
• Fiona, the female Sharpedo
• Xavi, the male Qwilfish
• Johana, the female Slowking

Y - Mustelid Team - theme: Meerkat Manor nicknames
• Yossarian, the male Typhlosion - based on equidna (for Cynda) and weasel (two evo's)
• Maybelline, the female Weavile - weasel
• Mozart, the male Furret - ferret
• Flowers, the female Floatzel - otters
• Zaphod, the male Samurott - otters
• Sophie, the female Mienshao - weasel

Last edited:

RafuRum

Formerly Raf-A-Rum
I take hours or days to think of a good nickname for my pokemon... But it usually has something to do with what I feel about the pokemon like "Flambé" the Charizard.. sometimes its just based on what I see around me.. Like "Pacherry" the Pachirisu.. cause I was drinking cherry Dr.pepper while bredding for it.. and at special cases I let my friends name them if they think it truly fits the pokemon like "DaeHun" the male Meowstic... :D anyway thats how I name my partners in battle.. :)

As a child (during gen 1 and 2) I usually only nicknamed my team and even then not always.

After the long break I took from Pokémon until gen 5 came out, I started nicknaming *all* my Pokémon.
Usually I give them a rather normal sounding name that sounds kinda similar to their usual name or I name them after character from a comic, movie or game I like or something along those lines. Whatever they remind me of. Sometimes I rename a Pokémon if I make it a long time team member.

I also always get pissed when I get a Pokémon via trade that doesn't have a nickname or one that I can't read or makes no sense :(

Whenever I play Pokemon X and I choose a charmander, I always nickname it firelizard and when I evolves into charizard, I nickname it firedragon. Old habits die hard, I guess. My dad always did that when he played pokemon, and so did my cousin.

I usually try to make some sort of reference when I nickname my Pokémon. For example, I always name any fire type Natsu and any electric type Laxus(2 obvious Fairy Tail references). But individual Pokémon concerned, I always go with the following:
1) Blastoise- Sheldon(a double reference to the fact that Blastoise is a turtle, as well as a Big Bang Theory reference)
2) Arcanine- Brimstone(I don't know how or why, but all Growlithes I catch are named Brimstone)
3) Nidoking- Koga(after the gym leader)
4) Exploud- Reana(okay, this one needs explanation. I went to school with this kid named Reana, and she had NO indoor voice, so whenever I catch a female Exploud, I name it after her)

this is the names i choose to my pokemans
magikarp: fucktard
zekrom: honey lips
darmanitan: drumhead
haunter: dimitrov
schyter: vinnie
i think they are cool

I just name Pokemon by what I find fitting to their appearance. My nicknamed Pokemon from my last 2 playthroughs included:
Chesnaut (f): Pecan
Mothim (m): Tagalong (this one a had sentimental reason)
Aegislash (m): Excalibur
Malamar (f): Pearl
Tyrantrum (f): Dina
Blastoise (m): Typhoon
Charizard (f): Phoenix
Clefaity (f): Peachy
Venomoth (f): Basil
Hitmonchan (m): Yamcha (This one was named after a favorite character :halo:)
Seadra (f): Shell
Electibuzz (m): Storm

I would nickname Pokémon mostly from designs. Like I named my Shiftry Jiraiya (from the Naruto series) because it reminded me of him.

Usually I'll choose nicknames based off characters or real people. Depends on my mood and the circumstances of when the Pokemon is caught.

Some of my favorite nicknames include:
Beedrill - George (George Foreman)
Simisage - Bas (Bas Rutten)
Pikachu - Tyrion (Tyrion Lannister)
Pyroar - Ronda (Ronda Rousey)
Totadile - Ron (Ron Swanson)

My idea's of nicknames are I don't know sometimes I think hard and sometimes I just go for the first thing that pop's into my head
My team in leafgreen names
Flamer the Charizard. Names related to fire
Flappy the Pidgeot first thing that popped into my head
Boney the Marowak it holds a bone so why not
Antarctica the Articuno named after the coldest place in the world. As it's the freeze Pokémon
Mjolner the Zapdos named after the mighty Thor's hammer as it's an electric Pokémon
And last but not least. Lut Desert the Moltres after the hottest place in the world as he's the flame Pokémon I was going to go for Flare but I thought it was bad
a>

Last edited:
I usually choose em' based on food or names of characters from video games i was playing during then. Or just something random.

My Pokemon X team:
Chespin (M) - Wilson (Game: Don't Starve)
Delcatty (M) - Scramble (Scrambled eggs)
Raichu (F) - Cidar
Pyroar (F) - Zeplin
Blastoise (M) - Crystal
Gallade - Raymond

A lot of mine are references to characters I've role played as, but they can be based off pretty much anything. Some of my favourites include:

Shiny Gardevoir (M) - Sirius, after the Canis Major constellation.
Khangaskhan (F) - Kanga Khan. All shall bow down to Mega Khan!
Gyarados (M) - Qing Long, the Azure Dragon of the East.
Talonflame (M) - Smogon. Shots fired.
Rayquaza (G) - Aeris Deus. Groudon is Terram Deus. Kyorge will have something like Abyssi Deus when I get one.
Gothitelle (F) - Enoby. cuz there isnt a more goffic pokmanz in al existanz
Absol (M) - Black Star. This one was my starter from a Wonderlocke whom I grew very attached to (and of course, he died. Curse you counter!). His name isn't really Black Star, I just can't read most of it except for the star symbol at the end of his name. All Absol must have something related to this now.
And all Dittos must have obscene names. Come at me swear filter!

Back when I started playing (Pearl version), I was bad at nicknames but I still wanted to use nicknames for my team... So for example I named my Torterra "Terre" ("Earth"/"Ground" in French), my Lucario "Aura" and my Floatzel "Mignon" ("Cute" in Fench... yeah I know, I just really liked Buizel!).

Then I got better, and now I mostly use references (to mythology/pop culture/japanese culture and manga/video games/jokes I made with my family and friends), or plain random names, or even just a part of the Pokémon's name if I'm really lazy and I won't use it for my team (it happens a lot in Mystery Dungeon...).
Examples I especially like (or just remember...):
-I've had 3 different Scolipede, named after poisons ("Arsenic" and "Cyanure") and a poisonous flower ("Datura")
-I named a Shedinja "Judas" because of my brother and the Lady Gaga song (French joke: "Shedinja" is "Munja" in French, and I don't remember why but we ended up singing "Judas" but with "Munja" instead of "Judas", like "Muuun-ja, munja-a-a, muuun-ja, munja-a-a..." XD)
-I named my Noivern "Vladimir" because of Dracula and because I like that name
-My Aegislash is named "Excalibur"...
-My Chandelure were named "Spooklight" and "Lucifer"
-"Badass" for my Krookodile (also I had another one later, named "Valkyrie")
-I randomly named a Crustle "Coconut" and an Excadrill "Poppycorn"
-My Galvantula was named "Faustus" (because of Black Butler), and I had another named "Kumo" (japanese for "spider")
-I've had two Serperior: "Ouroboros" (the snake that bites its tail, seen in Fullmetal Alchemist for example) and "Loki" (Nordic mythology and Marvel)
-"Mayhem" for my Sharpedo, because of Lapfox Tracks
-"Stonehenge" and "Anteiku" (Tokyo Ghoul) for my Golurk
-"Muramasa" for my Bisharp (because of the game Muramasa the Demon Blade, also because of Bleach)
-I have a Sableye named "Obsidienne" ("Obsidian" in French)
-My Absol is called "Séphiroth" (from Final Fantasy)

There, just to name of few x)

For me, personally I either name them something relevant to the type of Pokemon they are, provided it sounds cool, Example:

Embertail my Charmander because his tail...has an..ember on..it....I WAS 11 GIVE ME A BREAK!
Lockjaw my Feraligatr for obvious reasons (I know Lockjaw forces your jaw to....lock up but the name sounded too cool not to use)
Whips my Dragonite, the name fit better when he was a Dratini/ Dragonair
SandSpirit my Flygon, because it's a flying desert dragon
And Htuomgav for my Pincer,..... I let you guy's figure that one out

Aside from that sometimes I give my Pokemon names after actual names of things that come to mind and I think fit them EX:

Flare my Ninetails
Jasper my Marowak
Sherry my Gardevoir
and Raviel my Jolteon

I didn't start nicknaming my Pokemon till around Fire Red, and even then I only did it for a handful of Pokemon that I know I'm going to use frequently, or if I think of a name I think is clever. Though I started doing it more frequently around HG and SS, guess I started to like giving my Pokemon a bit of an identity, you know.

In my normal runs of pokemon I usually give my teams fantasy - esque names I have jotted down. Such as Razzora the Pyroar, Qeinarn the Dedenne, Milros the Wigglytuff and Destinova the Dragonite to name a few. I might do a run where I name my pokemon after Oblivion and Skyrim characters, however. :)

I thought of 2 interesting nicknames for a team I plan on playing later on.
Fávnir, for a Dragonite
Sjurdur, for Sylveon - although the correct spelling is Sjúrður
both names I got idea from the lyrics of one of my favorite songs, "Regin Smiður" by Týr
as lyrics say:
"Fávnir eitur ormurin" translates to "Fávnir is the dragon's name"
"Sjúrður vá á orminum" translates to "Sjúrður slayed the dragon"

I always disliked nicknaming my Pokemon, right from the start. In serious playthroughs, anyway. There's just something a little more immersive to me when they just keep the original names.

That said, best nickname I ever used was PISSLIZARD for my Squirtle in an emulated Blue version run. PISSLIZARD was the star of the show.

Raikou D'Etat
Leaving Suicune (this one only works if you pronounce Suicune the way I do - S'soon.)
Entei AtOwnRisk
Hawking A Lugia
Tyranitar Pit
DarkStormy Dragonite

I like how every single one of these sounds like it could be an episode title for the show.

Last edited:
Shinx-Chris (my reasoning is I pretend I have another body that lives in the Pokemon world that is 26 and has a son named Chris)
Shaymin-Skye(creepy pasta/same reason as above but wife instead)
Ariados-spoopy (I HATE spiders!)
And ponyta-twilight(for obvious MLP related reasons)

I recently wrote about a blog post about finishing the story mode in Pokemon Omega Ruby. Here are the nicknames behind my team.

Jo’Anna (Gardevoir) - UFC women’s strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk

Currently my favorite fighter is strawweight titleholder Joanna Jedrzejczyk and I always wanted a Gardevoir since playing “Pokemon Y” and it was the first time I used a fairy-type Pokemon in my party. When I caught the Ralts I knew I had to name her after the Polish powerhouse. While Jo’Anna wasn’t always the first level she stood toe-to-toe with some of the toughest Pokemon and came out on top.

Rampage (Mightyena) - Quinton “Rampage” Jackson

This kind of hits home because my friend Tom had a puppy named “Rampage,” but had to get rid of it. Quinton Jackson is also known to howl when he enters the ring or cage. Jackson is an avid gamer as well. One of the cool things about Rampage the Pokemon is it had a Fire Fang attack that made it so I had a fire type near the beginning of the game and never had to switch him out for a pure fire-type.

Cormier (Swellow) - UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier

I always have a flying type in my Pokemon party and when I caught this guy as a Taillow, when he three levels higher than the rest of my party, I thought about the current crop of UFC champions and settled on Daniel Cormier. Like the UFC champion Cormier had a lot of power in its attacks. It also had incredible speed and was a solid member of the group.

Sasha (Pikachu) - former NXT women’s champion Sasha Banks

I originally named this Pikachu, Crush, after Gina Carano. This was the special cosplay Pikachu and one of its outfits resembled that of a luchador. I changed the name because Sasha Banks is my favorite wrestler and this Pikachu, while dangerous in a fight, was also a top-notch performer.

Charla (Bellossom) - Charlie, the girl who used to live downstairs

When I caught this Pokemon as an Oddish, its Pokedex entry describes it as a “weed Pokemon” and it reminded me of this gal who lived in the apartment below me. She was a geology major and the hallway leading to her apartment smelled of “herbal medicine” which wasn’t a bad thing. She also had a beautiful voice.

Pystoll (Swampert) - Pystol, my dog

I originally named this Pokemon, Wanderlei, when he was a Mudkip but I changed the name after my dog Psytol passed away a month ago. The starter Pokemon are always foundations of any trainer’s lineup and this one was with me until the end - even dealing the last blow to Stone’s Pokemon.

I use a ton of methods, but in my recent Nuzlocke playthrough I've been naming my pokemon after themes/places/people/art in the Renaissance.

Treecko/Grovyle - Venice
Skitty - Sicilia (After Sicily)
Lotad/Lombre - Maggie (Santa Maria Maggiore)
Whismur - Orsanmichele (Church/Museum in Florence)
Electrike - Mona (Mona Lisa)
Beautifly - Ufizi (Gallery in Florence)
Makuhita/Haryima - Ghiberti (Artist who sculpted the doors for the Florence Baptistry)

My brother has a Skarmory named Shuttlecock.

My Omega Ruby names:
Danger Zone (Sceptile) Couldn't think of anything for the longest time, then I heard a certain Kenny Loggins tune on the radio and said why not?:D
Jasper (Ninjask)
Nightfang (Mightyena)
Maggie (Aggron)
Francesca (Pelipper) I wanted to name it Delta or Kohler, but it's female and those don't sound like female names. Would've been good ones too 'cause let's face it- it looks like a toilet bowl. :D

My nicknames are kinda random. A blaziken called blazeknight a shiftry call Guardien, sceptile called oakenshield. Saw a hobbit trailer when I named him. And was thinking of calling my shiny mahukita/hariyama sage. Didn't like what friend suggested jelly roles.
P.s wondering if any of you guys have a hariyama and what did y'all call them. Still not a hundred percent certain on sage.

Status
Not open for further replies.