• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Private/Closed Bootleg Bros 4

comic

Previously turnt3chGodh34d

Solid Snake

Snake: It's been a while. Think you could walk me through the central base on Zanzibar?
Naomi: Snake, I'm not an expert on this sort of thing.
Snake: Wha- Naomi!? How'd you get on this frequency?
Naomi: You called me, Snake.
Snake: Hnngh... I guess so.
Naomi: You know, there are a few animals with special genetics on Zanzibar Land only found on the island! Zanzibar Hamsters, Zanzibar Wood Owls, and-
Snake: Zanzibar Snakes, right?
Naomi: How'd you know?
Snake: Call it a hunch. Say, why don't we talk much anymore?
Naomi: Oh, you know, we're both super busy and all that. With you getting called to these multiversal tournaments or whatever they are more and more, we all back at home have to deal with... smaller stuff.
Snake: Yeah, I guess my small circle of friends can't do much for me here outside of give me advice, huh?
Naomi: I heard that Hal has been a big help.
Snake: Otacon's always a big help.
Naomi: Well, please just---I know the animals there are generated, but try not to let any of them get killed.
Snake: I'll uh... try.
Naomi: Thanks, Snake!

The soldier glanced about, searching his way through Zanzibar Land. Just like all of his other selections before, the place was devoid of life. Human life, at least. He had to assume that the inclusion of such a marginal hazard would be too complex for the simulation. Human thought, morality, and action was too unpredictable for any computer to properly guess at. A resource far too easy to exploit.

Snake stared down at the console, rubbing his chin, before he flicked a few switches, and moved on.

Snake: Did I call the right person?
Raiden: Snake? Is that you!?
Snake: Er- no.

What the hell was going on with the codec, he couldn't get a lock on the right frequency! That's when Snake paused, his lips pulling down into a frown. Racking his brain, he instead dialed in the old frequency he'd used for Otacon in the past.

Snake: Otacon?
Otacon: What is it, Snake?
Snake: Hnngh... looks like only the old frequency is working.
Otacon: Yeah, it's the same on your end. I think the Host altered a few rules for this map.
Snake: Yeah, these are old frequencies, from the Shadow Moses incident.
Otacon: Interesting how you could contact Raiden. He wasn't part of that.
Snake: Anyway, I need a bit of direction, Otacon. I'm trying to find the tesla complex.
Otacon: Oh, you're planning on overloading Metal Sonic's systems?
Snake: I'll try to, anyway. Enough to give me the time to expose something important. Every machine has its weakness.
Otacon: I still think it's a stomp in Metal's favor, but I'm rooting for you!
Snake: ...Thanks, I guess.
Otacon: Just head back into the hall and take a left, then follow the complex underground and out toward the tesla complex. It's not far.
Snake: Thanks, Otacon.

Shen: King of Digimon

Previously Shen: King of the Mist
Specter

CRASH!

The tail impacted the Chief, which is exactly what the man was planning. The tail's sharp tip was severed clean off, however, not before it could deliver a devastating blow.

The blow shattered the sword's handle, and slammed Chief down toward the ground with immense force. This wasn't before the man could crank up their sound system, blaring a ear splitting frequency that resonated off the walls, Specter gritting his teeth as he was forced to cover his ears. He was destabilized. His stability in the air wavered as his focus was in question, falling staggering back to the ground as the tail ailed about.

Chief wasn't fairing so well either, after impacting the ground, fragments of armor shot everywhere, the sound system coming to an abrupt end. A damaged, severed segment of a plate came flying out, spiraling down to the ground. After teetering, it clanked down with a trail of hot steam coming from it. It had the words '117' printed on it.

Last edited:

comic

Master Chief

Despite the damage toward his centralized unit of the power armor, John didn't relinquish, still firing the last of his bulldog round toward Specter before the press of a button ejected the empty rotary barrel. Even still, the Spartan did not relinquish the audio feedback. He wasn't going to give the ape that kind of opportunity. Rather than reload the Bulldog, he replaced it with his MA40 to offer the simian some concentrated gunfire, his finger feathering the trigger for maximum accuracy.

The impact had shattered much of the defense of the Enforcer armor, leaving integrity to be abysmal at the absolute best. The armor-piercing rounds would shred through it, and the disoriented Specter wasn't going to be granted the safety and evasiveness he'd been so heavily reliant upon. John's primary target was the head, of course, but he was hoping to destroy what remained of that helmet. Like his armor, that was already on its last leg---if not moreso.​

Specter

Segments of the tail had been compromised, that wasn't ideal. However, when it was suspended and tethered with psychic energy, integrity's importance was diminished as a concern.

The tail's later half appeared to come apart...on purpose? It revealed a pincer made of the two primary crushing arms of the Enforcer, strewn together like a kuwagata beetle. They easily took the rounds from MA40, swiping with their broad footprint at Chief, who was no doubt injured from the devastating blow be received. Once he was down, it would attempt to clasp him in between the pincers, lifting him up while squeezing his torso.

comic

Master Chief

Despite the psychic prowess holding together the metal (somehow, considering how disorienting the sound waves should have been), it didn't deter John in the slightest.

A claw emerged from the mass of metal, to which Chief promptly reacted by slapping down a small device with his free hand. Like twice prior, an orange wall erupted, and the claw arm bounced off of it, failing to break through on contact as the Spartan continued to fire, bullets electrifying as they phased through his side of the drop wall.

He tugged out a frag grenade with his left hand as the MA40 ran out of ammunition, and he tossed it aside, helmet's speakers still screeching to disrupt the ape.​

Specter

Upon contact with the shield, the pincer rammed vehemently against it, not breaking through, yet not budging off. The shield began to buckle as the force was exerted on it. That's when it opened up, the pincer going on either end of the shield.

"Luck has ran out for you, human. There is nowhere to run!"

That's when the pincer snapped on the shield, shattering it as it threatened to smother Chief's body.

Last edited:

ArmedBlue

Previously Manu456Alola
Lola
She still couldn't see a thing, but she could tell things were getting dire. Lola's AS Drive was now building energy at a much quicker rate, the A.I. figuring she didn't have much time left to act (besides, Specter was probably too busy to even notice what she was doing). She could feel her body growing hotter and hotter with each passing second, the energy she was generating starting to get too powerful for her body to handle.

But she pushed on. There was no way in hell she was giving up now.

"Luck has ran out for you, human," Specter spoke, no doubt readying what he intended to be the final blow for Chief. "There is nowhere to run!"

Not if I have anything to say about it!

"Ugaaahhh!!"

The built up energy and heat was released the moment her AS Drive went critical, bursting from Lola's body, parts of it falling apart, intending to deal a heavy blow to Specter and his helmet. Due to durability issues, she rarely pushed herself to this point---but these were desperate times. She had to do this. For humanity.

For Copen.

Specter

This was it. Guaranteed victory in one crushing blow. No way to block, jump, or evade through this. Guaranteed success.

"Ugaaahhh!!"

What-

PSSSSSTTEEEWWWW!

Green fire shot out from the front of Specter's helmet, The genius was blown back out of the air, as if receiving a gut punch. The tail flailed out behind him, the tether shattering on it as the pieces flew apart everywhere.

The smoldering smell of melting wires and freshly cut metal filled the lungs of the ape as his breathe labored against them. He stuck his hand up to his helmet, pulling the damaged lola from it.

"You...!" He winced in pain. "That master of yours...I think it's time to reunite you."

With that, he crushed the remnants of Lola in his grasp, his head throbbing afterwards as he was force to the ground, coughing. His eyes turned green as he appeared to zone out.

"The jaded flower of the sorrowful age-"

"Nghhh!" He shook his head, his normal eye colors returning. "This wretched planet is mine...mi-

"Needless meanderings of the quintessential-"

-ne!!!"

Specter held his head, psychic overload starting to bare down on him. Lola has destroyed his psychic regulators amongst other functions. He could no longer control his output of energy.

All of a sudden, objects in the room had begun to bend and levitate. A storm had brewed, a typhoon of objects strewn across. Broke sentinel pieces, flood biomass, tail parts, and even fragments of chief's own armor swirling in the storm. Specter was not only at war with Chief now: but with himself.

comic

Master Chief

"Luck has ran out for you, human. There is nowhere to run!"
Luck.
Luck...

"They let me pick. Did I ever tell you that? Choose any Spartan I wanted. You know me. I did my research. Watched as you became the soldier we needed you to be. Like the others, you were strong, and fast, and brave, but you had something they didn't. Something nobody else saw but me. Can you guess what it is?

"Luck."

The pincer broke through the shield as the Spartan gripped his frag grenade. Even without armor, he was still a physical force to be reckoned with---but that wasn't his intention. Wearing armor that weighed a thousand pounds made one impossibly agile when outside of it, and despite his injuries, the underlying biofoam dealt with anything too crucial. Enough for him to remain in top form despite it all.

However, he needn't have done anything. The shield burst---then so did Specter, and the pincer recoiled, falling back into the mass of metal before breaking apart to reveal a writhing ape. John frowned behind his visor, before he noticed the simian yank something out and crush it in his palm.

Lola. And thanks to Lola, the true MVP here, Specter was unrestrained and quickly falling apart. Objects all around began to levitate into the air. Assessing the situation, 117 agreed with his conclusion: there wasn't a better time than now. Specter's mental energy drained quickly, and with it unleashed, he'd wear himself out even faster than his attack from before had.

He tossed the grenade, aiming low so that the mental pull from Specter would call it up, curving the frag to meet right with the underside of the simian right as it detonated, and with that, John took his cue to leap upward, then kick off of a floating hunk of metal, barreling his way backward.​

Specter

The grenade amongst others in the room flew straight into the swirling tornado that amassed around specter, it's explosion muffled and silenced by the growing storm. It would then threaten to suck Chief right into it! Panels would peel off the ground and even the Gondola's pieces began to lift and fly up and around Specter.

"The oncoming eloquence of the dynastic-"

"Ngh!! This...you haven't won, human! You'll be-"

"The sub-economic intricacies stem from an illiad-"

"-Taken out before I burn out!! Ngh...Ngahhhh!"

Without grapple to prevent himself from flying into the storm, and airborn now, Master Chief would be helpless but to fall into the swirling debris field, no doubt to have the remaining armor pieces and his body chopped up in the psychic torrent.

comic

Master Chief

Everything flying through the air, metal, biomass, and various other items, all of it provided the Spartan with what he needed. One kick off to another. While he wasn't covering as much distance as he could if things weren't getting sucked in like a black hole, he was still covering ground. Bit by bit. Then the gondola came up, swinging his way. With a particularly powerful kick, John thrust himself right toward it, bringing his legs up just as quickly to land, then kick off again as it curled through the air, blasting himself back to the ground, biomass splattering into the air from impact.

Several Sentinels and Enforcers had finally appeared, though they had turned, failing to fly out of the gravitational pull, several of the Enforcers releasing a hail of red spikes helplessly down. There weren't many options left. Time was running out. However, their fight on the gondola had been seconds away from fitting into another part of the Library. That left the wall close by, and there would be doors leading back into the interior.

While the psychic pull had been affecting everything around him, now did it begin to pull on the Spartan. He could feel it. Specter was running out of stuff to tug toward him, even at the distance 117 had covered. More biomass continued to get ripped up, but most of it had already been pulled up at a wide radius, exposing the underlying Forerunner metal for the ring. The pulling grew in intensity, enough so that John had to drop, pulling out his modified combat knife, and slammed it down, wedging between the cracks of the Forerunner metal, octagonal in shape. These cylinders went miles deep into the ring, meaning Specter wouldn't be able to lift them.

With a grunt, the Chief pulled himself nearer to the doors, glancing up to see both of them get ripped into the pull. Unrelenting, unyielding, the Spartan reached it, activating his still-intact gloves' magnetizing capabilities, pulling himself deeper inside after he tucked the knife away. Despite the rushing wind flowing through the tunnel he'd pulled himself into, his HUD going on the fritz. Still pulling himself in, John reached up a hand to grab his helmet, unsealing the hushed casket, and letting it fly outside into the growing mass of metal and burning flesh (burning courtesy of the Enforcers, now forcibly merged into the psychic well).

His other bits of armor had been peeled away, leaving only his boots and his gloves from the Mjolnir Gen 3. Face shrouded in the darkness of the tunnel, several operating light fixtures having been ripped out, the Spartan had grown continually quicker with his retreat into the interior, speeding up with each pull, headed deeper and deeper inside.

Specter was invulnerable in this state---but that didn't make him unbeatable. The final step was to wait him and bait him.

And then the end. One final effort.​

Specter

The storm intensified. More and more, the now energized tornado cycled with the fuel of enforcer and sentinel weapons and batteries, mixing with the shrapnel that was ever grinded and sharpened inside the cyclone of psychic energies.

"Ngh...!"

It's bellowed more and more, a resounding noise growing from inside it. A green hue was pulsating from the inner sections of the tornado before-

"HYAAAAAAA!!!"

The tornado exploded outwards with a seismic wave of neon green energy. The sound was deafening it debris and energy waves were thrusted everywhere. A deep ressonance was felt deep in the chest of everyone nearby. This made Specter's earlier psychic explosion looks like child's play. The wake encompassed the zone, the walls scorching off from their seams. the tunnel Chief had crawled into had erupted like a geyser, energy shooting out to drench everything inside.

comic

Master Chief

The further he got, the less he felt pulled, until the pull was suddenly gone. Any logic or reasoning confirmed that this wasn't a good thing. With Specter's psychic power unleashed, that mental black hole had to expel, and likely with powerful energy. At a maximum effort, this next attack was bound to put the earlier to shame. 117 had been in enough Forerunner hallways to understand what to do, and how quickly to act. He bounded impossibly fast up a ramp, around a bend, and slid through a door before it had fully opened, right onto a small elevator, which the brush of his hand on its console promptly activated.

"If you knew how you were going to die..."

The roar of energy was surging forth, and even as the elevator began to quickly slide upward, the geyser of power blasted the doors below off, and the energy propelled up the elevator shaft, slamming into the underside of the platform, forcing it to rise much, much faster. John buckled as he eyed the fast-approaching load-off point. Time was short, but Spartans worked better under pressure. 3, 2, 1...

"How would you live your life differently?"

He leaped bringing up his arms to shield his face as his back slammed into the door at the top stop, and the elevator slid upward to slam into the ceiling, ignoring the echo of Cortana's words to Atriox. While the energy had greatly lessened here, it was still powerful enough to slug John, bursting the doors off its hinges and hurling 117 through a short hallway. Despite his growing injuries, he still slammed his boots down, crouching and keeping himself covered, wisely minimizing any rising damage. A door behind him opened, and the remaining energy vented out into the docking zone of where the gondola was originally supposed to go. Half of it was gone, vaporized in the attack, and John was feet away from the edge.

Against his better judgement, he was impressed as he glanced down the fall. His exosuit had been badly damaged, taking most of the attack. Biofoam didn't seem to be an option anymore, whether by over-use or simply disabled was unclear. Soot blackened his face, and many parts of the suit (namely the arms) had been charred. He looked like a walking shadow.

Narrowing his eyes down the drop, he searched for Specter with his falcon-esque vision. If that earlier attack had made Specter so reliant on his chair and recovery before, this one... this one had to put the ape out of commission, at minimum.​

???

An eerie silence befell the zone. Destruction, everything was leveled. The damage had a hue of verdant greens and deep magentas, heaps of scrap and a massive crater made up the remnants of what once a detailed forerunner architecture. in the wreckage, a helmet was seen, shattered into several of pieces. Specter's helmet. The ape was...

"Un...?"

...Alive. But not as the Specter everyone had known. Out of the smoldering epicenter of the crater, an albino monkey, Kuuta, sat, blinking awake. Their hair had flattened from their once spiky appearance into a bushy mop, their red eyes a dark brown. He had also smothered out of his cape, now resting barefoot in the black pants of Specter's, now visibly uncomfortable in them.

He seemed afraid. Afraid of where he was, confused, frightened. In this state? He no longer resembled the world conquering overlord, but rather the timid monkey that humans had loved long ago.

comic

Master Chief

He had a limp. He found that limping had become more and more frequent in his fights the older he got. Sure, he could heal from otherwise life-altering fatal wounds in as little as a couple days, but there was an underlying issue that came with the damage. Wounds heal, but aren't forgotten by the body, even as scars fade. His shin had been fractured, and he counted six broken ribs. His left hand was tingling.

Regardless, he'd still descended the wall, careful of the hotter portions that still remained a molten color, his boots helping along the way, though the right one was acting finicky. Even through the smoke and debris hanging in the air, his eagle-like eyes had pinpointed the form of Specter. Passed out? Resting from over-exertion? The answers weren't clear until he was a meter away, stepping through the smoke of a smoldering fire.

A small monkey was what remained of Specter. He paused, staring at it, a little uncertain. A trap from the ape? A ploy to lure him in and finish the job while his defense was lowered (not that it ever really lowered)? Yet, 117's gut instinct told him it was over. Despite his mind screaming at him to pull back, he listened to his instinct instead. A very... human thing to do, ignoring his programming.

He lowered himself onto a knee with a grunt, doing his best to ignore his injuries, his blackened face gazing back at the simian's fearful features. He recalled Specter's presentation during the dinner earlier. It made sense, and did some to ease the robotic side of his protocol-oriented brain, giving into his humanity a little more.

Wordlessly, John extended a hand out to the monkey.​

Kuuta

The albino ape was very cautious at first as the rather imposing human approached. Compared to everyone else he saw at the circus, Chief was a brute amongst men. But as the soldier held a hand out to him, the ape looked up at him. With a bit of hesitation, it reached out to him-

They had blinked elsewhere. A dark void. A very familiar feeling to Chief, but alarming to the primate, who looked about frantically. To the side of them was a statue of Specter, curled in by thorns that grew across the ground. The thorns wrapped tightly around the key, as if he was still keeping a tight grasp around his ambitions in the deep recesses of the ape's mind.

"Uuuu???" The Kuuta whimpered.

The statue's helmet was cracked, not dissimilar to how the real helmet was. In fact, it was in the same places. Before chief's eyes, another thorn branch reached out and grabbed another tighter hold on the key.

comic

Master Chief

The world had shifted. It wasn't the horrible mess it had been the last time, with the statue of his alternate self, trapped in the shattered memories of Silent Hill, but rather, it appeared to be something similarly unsettling. Almost as though this were some presentation of Specter's own mind. Despite the presence of Kuuta, Specter himself refused to give up the key that he still held.
Slowly, John rose to his feet, and walked toward the statue, eyes flitting over the thorns. He reached for his combat knife---before he hesitated, and glanced down at the small ape.

Something told him that it would take more than a knife to grab that key. Specter had to give it up, effectively. He had to let go.
Once again, he lowered himself to the ground, and again, offered a hand to Kuuta. "It has to be you," he spoke softly.​

Metal Sonic
The two shields crashed into each other violently, but the pyramid held strong, much to the robot’s annoyance. Metal beeped rapidly and silently, almost as if he was cursing under his breath. The Black Shield deactivated as it bounced off of the pyramid, sending Metal back a bit. However, he was still in close range with Rebellio, and the adept intended to capitalize on that. The sheep cosplayer leapt towards Metal while disassembling a section of the pyramid, swinging his scythe in the process. Metal responded by flying slightly to the side, then grabbing the the staff section of it and pushing off of it, both giving himself a boost in movement and potentially sliding it out of Rebellio’s grip or at least loosening it. Metal then curled into a ball and attempted to smash into Rebellio.
@ArmedBlue

Kuuta

"Uuu...?"

He pointed to himself as he looked at the statue. The thorns coiled in a bramble, threatening to whip Chief if he were to get close. Kuuta reluctantly stepped toward it, doubting that he could grab the key without getting struck. But when he reached for it, the vines slid past his arms, creating a hole for him. Surprised by this, the monkey was encouraged to continue, eventually grasping the key. In response, the vines quivered before receding entirely, leaving the ape alone with a rather oversized key.

The ape eyed it, clearly distracted by the shiny object before snapping to. They looked up at him, innocence in his eyes, one that clearly contrasted from his previous life but a few moments ago. He raised the key up haphazardly to cheif, offering a coo of approval.

ArmedBlue

Previously Manu456Alola
Rebellio
Rebellio's grip was indeed loosened, Metal's quick maneuver managing to leave the Falcon's torso wide open.

"Watch out, he'll try to smash into you!" Kalmiya's voice came in, the A.I.'s processing power allowing her to react to Metal's moves far quicker than Rebellio could. Thread gathered in front of the Adept's body as Metal curled into a ball, taking the shape of a large spike that jutted out of Rebellio's chest, the robot crashing into it---and managing to break through, certainly catching the Falcon off guard.

Metal smashed into Rebellio's torso, the overshields flaring up briefly before going back to being nearly invisible, and the Adept was sent flying downwards. His crimson halo came down on top of him, converting him into thread to teleport him elsewhere, Rebellio briefly vanishing.

After a moment, the Falcon reappeared above Metal, a large guillotine blade beneath his feet, aiming to crush the metallic doppelgänger!

Last edited:

comic

Master Chief

It was like watching an entirely different being. Well, it technically was an entirely different being. Specter had enhanced intellect, advanced enough to have nigh total control over neuralphysical sciences. A being to surpass all of his kind... and yet so stuck in an ultimately trivial matter. Specter was capable of so much, yet did so little.

Kuuta here, in a sense, was capable of more than Specter.

He held out the key toward John, who reached down and accepted the small key. It felt warm to the touch. He looked back toward the simian, his brow creasing. "Thank you," he nodded. Despite how much of his own humanity he was still learning, the Spartan was still only capable of conveying so much emotion. For the last time, he offered a hand toward the ape, asking for nothing more than the forgiveness of the underlying, suppressed being of Specter, as well as Kuuta's friendship.​

Last edited:

Kuuta

The ape looked down at Chief's hands, eyes widening. Looking back up with a cheerful expression, he went to accept the hand. However, moment before he could make contact with it, the key resonated with the Spartan's bathing the void in white.

Next thing Chief knew was that he was in the center plaza once more. Alone. Kuuta was nowhere to be seen. It appeared the host still considered Kuuta to be his opponent. Instead, what lay on the ground we're components Specter had in his possession that didn't belong to him. A green chip of some kind, miscellaneous samples, and the fragments of lola, scorched and unusable. It appeared this is were his ambitions would rest. For now.

comic

Master Chief

He closed his hand, finding his body suited back into his armor, better than new. It wouldn't be now, but a sudden inspiration and realization had struck 117. Should he ever cross paths with Specter again...

He rose to his feet, noticing the vast emptiness of the lobby. Specter's statue now sported that same crack it had before, and in the statue that held the key. A symbol, John felt. A symbol of what, he could theorize, but unless he met the ape again, he might not know for certain.

His eyes found the screen portraying the only other match taking place. No deaths yet. Still three combatants, and one of them... the Spartan would be facing soon for the championship of the tournament, even if the Chief lacked any interest in fame or glory. He was doing this because it was necessary, and even if he had to fight his new ally, even friend, Rebellio again...

He would do what he had to.​

ArmedBlue

Previously Manu456Alola
Rebellio vs Snake vs Metal Sonic (co-written w/ comic)
Metal was quick to act following Rebellio's reappearance, thruster flaring up as the robot moved to the side, guillotine blade falling to the ground below, Metal charging his chest laser to fire at Rebellio---but the Falcon was no longer on top of the blade. He'd leapt right over him, both the sun and the blade masking his movements, the thread covering his body preventing Metal from easily tracking him. A crimson scythe struck the back of Metal's head, chipping some paint off and knocking Metal slightly forwards, the robot quick to readjust, turning on a dime to fire his already charged laser at the Adept.

"He's tracking your current trajectory, throw him off by moving upward!" Kalmiya warned, Rebellio sticking an arm out behind him, firing a single string that quickly struck the underside of a section of Speed Highway, pulling the Falcon just out of harm's way. The overshields covering Rebellio depleted at that very moment, something he wasn't quite expecting. Oh well.

Metal soon gave chase, Rebellio shooting another string that struck the side of the main compound, pulling him closer to it and just out of Metal's melee range. He wouldn't be able to play keep-away for much longer, though. Metal was scarily fast.

"Rebellio,"
It wasn't Kalmiya's voice that spoke to the young man, instead the raspy and rumbling tone of Solid Snake, his voice crackling from where Kalmiya's voice had been.
"Your artificial intelligence is letting us communicate using my codec. Look for a patch of tall rainforest trees, partially obscuring a building with an orange metallic roof. I've lain a trap for our mutual friend. Help me spring it?

"Yeah, I guess so," Rebellio muttered, not exactly sure what a codec was, but this meant Snake was actually aiding him and not just leaving him and Metal to weaken each other. With that reassurance, Rebellio shot another thread to the ground, but it wasn't attached to him---instead, the tip stuck to Metal's left boot, catching the robot a split second before he was about to collide with the Adept. Rebellio wasn't one to waste any time, his halo flashing over himself, bursting his form into thread as he began to cover some distance, searching for the place Snake had described to him.

It took a little while, but he'd found it. The vegetation did a decent job of hiding the building, orange metallic roof atop it just like Snake said. The crimson halo appeared once more, moving upward to reconstruct Rebellio, who eyed the structure. Going inside was likely dangerous, so he opted not to, instead hanging around in front of it. Metal wouldn't be long, anyway.

Sure enough, Metal flew directly overhead, managing to spot the Falcon, firing three electric orbs in his direction, Rebellio diving to the side to avoid them. The robot soon touched down in front of him, red eyes glaring into the Adept's own. More electric orbs were fired his way, Rebellio sidestepping the first, blocking the second with a crimson shield---but when the Adept went to deal with the third, Metal had already zoomed his way up to him, throwing a barrage of punches directly to his face.

The Falcon raised his shield to block them, though it was quickly whittled down, Rebellio taking a few blows before pushing Metal back with his scythe, Metal flying back in for more, when the Adept slid beneath the robot, using his scythe to deflect an incoming swipe of his metallic claws, sending the doppelgänger barreling into the building.

A darkness was quick to swallow Metal Sonic, who let out a slightly irritated beep, slightly confused as to why he hadn't already dispatched of this clown. Hadn't he dealt with far deadlier far quicker before? What was so different about this obstacle? What was-

Metal turned to the sound of powering electricity, lights flicking on in the facility he'd just crashed into, hovering place for only a couple seconds, only to find his face a couple inches from a very large, very volatile tesla coil.
And then the energy burst from it, connecting to the robot in the same amount of time it took his systems to process what was happening. Paint was burned off, metal scorched, as dozens of bolts of electricity arced along Metal, refusing to dissipate, locking him in place as it threatened to overload him.

Body shuddering, Metal tried to move, but found his vent was quickly becoming the first system to fail, sputtering and sparking, smoke beginning to plume from it. He had to bust this trap and he had to bust it fast, or risk the fastest elimination the tournament had yet seen from such a powerful combatant.

As the electricity continued to assault Metal, Rebellio replaced his scythe with a Gatling gun, carrying it over to the building's entrance. The Falcon took aim at the vulnerable robot, firing a storm of string bullets at the metallic doppelgänger, adding to the assault. Some of the bullets were worn down by the electricity, but the majority still managed to reach their target, Metal's outer body being quickly pierced by them, the voltage preventing an easy escape. Rebellio just kept on firing, aiming to take him down here and now.

In an act of desperation, Metal decided that the need to vent didn't outweigh the need to escape, and a flash of crimson blinded Rebellio for a short moment, Metal's chest laser bursting forth to obliterate the tesla coil in a massive eruption of twisted metal and scorching flames, the electricity dissipating, allowing Metal to drop to the ground, landing heavily on a single knee despite his small figure.

Plates of armor lay scattered about, the tesla having weakened their integrity, and Rebellio's bullets having blasted most of it off, exposing Metal's interior of intricate wires and tubes. An exposed weakness.
"Well, looks like hacking him might be the harder option at this point," Kalmiya jokingly informed the Adept.

"Heh, seems that way," Rebellio replied, firing a couple more dozen bullets while Metal was still vulnerable, before he chucked his weapon at the machine---and the Gatling morphed into a spiked mace midair, rolling along the ground and towards Metal, who managed to position himself in a way that only one of his arms took the hit, though the impact was powerful enough to sever it from his body.

His venting was partially done by now, so Metal chose to counterattack by firing several electric orbs at Rebellio, an attack that wasn't too taxing, especially considering he had yet to move. Rebellio rushed right in, choosing to leave Metal with as little breathing room as possible, sidestepping the first orb, ducking under the second, leaping over the third, and sliding under the fourth, now right up on Metal's face.

Rebellio swung his scythe once more, aiming to stab through Metal's center, though the robot had managed to move just out of the way, scythe grazing his side, before the doppelgänger leapt up towards Rebellio, an electric field covering his body in a desperate move.

"He's using his V. Maximum Overdrive!"

Rebellio wasn't fast enough to react, however, Metal ramming into his chest, electricity arcing all over the Falcon's body as he was dragged backwards alongside Metal, all the way to the entrance, thread suddenly bursting from the Adept's chest, forming a spike to counter the robot's move. It was powerful enough to cancel the attack and send Metal flying backwards, rolling along the ground.

Ignoring the pain coursing through his body, Rebellio ran right back towards Metal, who was now venting following the use of one of his most powerful moves. This time, the Falcon's scythe managed to pierce Metal's body, before Rebellio swinging upwards from there to cleave the robot in half. Wires, tubes and chips all burst from within Metal, who collapsed onto the ground.

The red eyes blinked once, before they faded out, marking Metal Sonic's surprising defeat. Rebellio let out a huff, shaking his head. Without the advantages he'd been given, and this alliance, he feared that such a victory might have been almost impossible. Yet, standing over the corpse of one foe, Rebellio reminded himself that his alliance was temporary. Snake was now the enemy.

Almost as if on cue, a missile fired out from the darkness of the facility, where the light from the hole in the wall couldn't reach, the projectile spinning toward Rebellio, who slid to the side as he twirled his scythe, but the missile zipped around in the air, aimed for his back.
"Look out! He has guided missiles, dodging them won't be enough," the AI provided her advice.

"Got it," Rebellio replied simply, head turning to face the missile while he moved deeper into the facility, where Snake was hiding. A throwing knife manifested in his free hand, Rebellio performing a precise throw that struck the missile head-on, causing it to explode. With that done, his head turned back towards the darkness in front of him, eyes starting to adjust to it. Snake's thing was clearly stealth, so if he could just track him down...

"Kalmiya, think you can figure out where Snake's hiding?"

"He's quicker than I was expecting," Kalmiya admitted, "but I have an integrated threat radar system---basically, yes. Unfriendly IFF tag identified and tracking. There's some strange interference though... WAIT!"
Kalmiya's sudden shout was accompanied by a mine that erupted upon Rebellio's rapid approach into the darkness, a burst of fire and force that shot outward dangerously close to Rebellio's position.

"Crap-"
The blast blinded Rebellio, forcing him into his thread form for a brief moment. Photons, explosions, and the like were particularly effective against the Falcon, something only really used against him during his fight against Chief. Maybe taking Snake down would be a little harder than he thought.

After a few seconds, Rebellio took human form once more, shoulders heaving. "He's probably got this whole place rigged. Not good. Try and keep an eye on his position, alright?"

"Got it! Oh, and your overshields module is currently recharging, just hit fifty percent. They'll be reapplied once they hit full energy."
"Alright, thanks," Rebellio replied, resuming his trek into the facility, considerably more cautious this time.

"Swing left," the AI shot out.
Rebellio spun his scythe in the direction she'd indicated, and a tranquilizer dart pinged off the weapon. He was a split second away from charging right in again to try and cut the head off the snake, so to speak, before he quickly reminded himself of his opponent's strategies.

Bait and lure. Stealth. He couldn't just rush in and meet the man head-on, that played into Snake's hands too easily. He had to think, had to strategize, had to find a way to limit Snake's movements. If only he could just pin him down...
"Agh, that interference is getting stronger, I can't locate him," Kalmiya spoke, her voice sounding strained. "Snake has something that's blocking me out, I think it has something to do with that codec he mentioned earlier."

"It's okay," Rebellio told the A.I. “I'm sure we'll find him soon."
He knew heading straight into the facility would be risky. This place was massive, so he had to not just limit his opponent's moves, but also cover as much area as possible. Then, he had an idea. Sticking an arm above him, the Falcon slowly began to turn into thread, vanishing into the darkness.

The strings of fate that bind us together lead to the same end, in a sea of a red!

"Crimson-Death-Thread!"

All throughout the facility, crimson strings began to strike. Lone ones at first, but they were soon followed up by several more, aiming to cover every nook and cranny in the building. Any place Snake could possibly be hiding in. His Special Skill was his best move for covering large areas, alerting him of his foe's position once his thread made contact, so it was his best bet for finding Snake. Or at least for figuring out which sections weren't rigged with explosives.

The threads multiplied rapidly, firing this way and that, but nothing seemed to snag. The spider's web remained Snake-less, before one particular string met its mark, piercing cleanly through Snake's forearm and pinning him to the wall, the soldier having been diving and weaving expertly through the attack, until his luck ran out.

"Hagh!" he grunted, several more threads piercing into him to lock him into place, though he still managed to wiggle his way around several, conjuring his shock knife from its sheath, finger armed to activate the secondary ability when Rebellio would dart forward, hoping to deal some damage, aware of what this move entailed.

And there he was. Rebellio took human form in front of Snake, seemingly hovering midair, a criss-cross pattern of thread materializing before him, before the Falcon darted forward, the thread wrapping around him, taking the form of a ferocious drill---though not before Snake managed to swing his knife, a painful current surging through Rebellio, the Adept pushing on, drill dead-set on piercing through Snake.

An echo of a shout.

"Snake?"

"SNAKE!?"

"SNAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!!"

The wall had been blasted through to the outside, concrete crumbling around Rebellio as he huffed, the currents that had just run through him having been a great deal more than he'd been expecting---but his opponent was lying atop the rubble, a hole in his chest, his teeth bloody and grit. While one of his eyes was hidden behind the eyepatch, the other was registering surprise, before the appearance shifted. Rebellio could recognize what that look meant.

Acceptance.

"Hah..." Snake coughed, his eye rolling to look toward Rebellio. "Hey, kid... you're... pretty good..."

And then the life vanished from his eye.

Winner: Rebellio!
Losers: Snake and Metal Sonic!

Rebellio's expression morphed into a sad smile. He'd probably never be able to live down all the lives he'd been forced to claim. Not just in this tournament, but back home as well.

"Rest in peace, soldier." He spoke, one hand drifting over David's lifeless eye, closing it.

"Rebellio..." Kalmiya muttered, though she didn't say anything else. The Falcon stood up, heading towards the newly opened gateway behind Snake---

When he was transported elsewhere. Some sort of void, it seemed. Looking around into the darkness surrounding him, the young man appeared puzzled. "What the..."

"Rebellio, behind you. That's..."

He turned around to see what Kalmiya was talking about. A statue. It depicted a mechanical monstrosity, much larger than Rebellio, sitting on a throne. Two glowing objects were embedded in it, attached to either shoulder. And on top of the mech's head was...

A small, familiar robot.

Metal was standing atop the statue, appearing hazy, almost like a ghost. The third key was in his hand, the robot glaring down at Rebellio. The three keys right in front of Rebellio... they were the ones Chief had mentioned earlier. It seemed they would come into his possession now.

Three crimson strings shot out from Rebellio's hand, wrapping around each key, when Rebellio pulled. He was met with some resistance, not just from the stone they were embedded in, but also what was left of Metal Sonic. Maybe he wasn't exactly willing to give it up.

After a few moments of struggling, Metal relinquished his hold on the key, and the two others were soon yanked out of the stone. Had Metal realized his powerlessness? Was he planning something? There was no way for him to tell.

And the moment the three keys reached Rebellio...

Everything went white.

The world had shifted once more, thankfully to a place Rebellio recognized. The lobby, Chief standing nearby. Rebellio examined his hands, realizing the keys were gone, the only items in his possession being his Falcon Quill and Kalmiya's A.I. chip. Pinning the former to his jacket now that he was back in his normal form, Rebellio walked over to the Spartan.

"I... got the keys," he began, still a little shocked by everything that had just transpired. "Great job beating Specter, by the way. Even without Kalmiya, you managed to stop him. Oh, that reminds me..."

Holding his hand out to Chief, he presented Kalmiya's chip to him.
"I did make a promise, didn't I?"

Last edited:

comic

Master Chief

John watched the battle unfold, rapid and brutal. The combined efforts of Snake and Rebellio (though primarily Rebellio) resulted in the sudden defeat of Metal Sonic. And just like that, every major threat in this tournament had been eliminated, as far as 117 was concerned. Next came the quick scuffle between Rebellio and Snake. While the soldier gained an early upper hand, Chief had to admit his surprise that Rebellio was so quick to use his crimson death thread. While the Spartan had been able to escape it, the soldier wasn't quite so lucky.

In seconds, he was dead. The screen blinked as Rebellio stepped through the gateway that had opened as a fanfare played, then there was several seconds of delay between the time it took the adept to enter the gateway, then to exit it in the lobby, looking down at his hand.

He had the remaining keys.
It was all on them now. Two combatants remaining. Opponents turned friends, trusted confidantes.

The adept wasted no time in approaching John, commenting on his possession of the keys he'd taken from Metal (it was unclear to John if Snake had had any). Then, the kid handed Kalmiya back. The Chief's head tilted slightly to look down at the extended chip, before he wordlessly accepted it from Rebellio, and inserted it back into his neural cortex, the HUD prompting him to confirm the insertion, which he accepted.

"You did good out there," 117 nodded approvingly of Rebellio. While he didn't say it out loud, there was the unspoken feeling of pride in the air. John hadn't felt pride for anyone in... a while. Not since Samuel's death...

"WELL!"
The Host erupted into frame behind them, his arms spread jovially, though he flickered and crackled on the spot. The mass outside seemed to take up half the skybox now, though plenty remained up to the imagination.

The Host snapped his fingers, and the Metal Sonic statue bisected as the Snake statue grew a sizable hole in its chest cavity. A glance around would confirm that all the statues now reflected their deaths, save for Chief and Rebellio's, which stood on opposite ends of the central lobby.
The gateways and televisions vanished, leaving the still-living Frank Horrigan's head to fall to the ground, the supermutant in silent protest against his fate.

"We've made it to the end, hah hah..." Host's voice sounded incredibly distorted. "This final match will take place right here. Right now. In the lobby. Be mindful of the refreshments table and all that... whoever wins, know that my boss wants to sp-sp-sp-sp-speak with you..."
The Host vanished, leaving the two standing in the lobby.

It seemed this was it. Chief had been fighting to end this tournament since it began, but suddenly, he was wishing the Host had given them a little more time...​

ArmedBlue

Previously Manu456Alola
Rebellio

"...oh."

The Host's words caught Rebellio by surprise, and he wouldn't be surprised if Chief felt much the same. They were to fight right now, even though it had barely been a minute since Rebellio's last match. He had been hoping to have a little chat before the final fight, maybe even get to drink some more lemonade before they got down to business, but that was certainly not going to be the case.

With a sigh, the Adept grasped his Falcon Quill, a crimson circle materializing in front of him. It spewed dark energy back in his direction, before collapsing into him with a flash of light.

"Hey Chief, no matter what happens..."

Entering his Weaponized form, the Falcon materialized a scythe in his right hand, twirling it before letting it rest at his side.

"It's been fun."

comic

Master Chief

(Co-Written with ArmedBlue)​

"It's been fun."
Rebellio had entered into his weaponized form. While the appearance had been off-putting to the Spartan when he'd first seen it, he'd grown to ignore his dispositions against its combat efficiency. In other words, he'd grown to like it. There had been a multitude of strange and colorful characters in this lobby mere hours ago (or had it been years? according to Kalmiya, time didn't exist here, as far as she could tell), and now it was just the two of them.
"Likewise," John mustered out, before he was quick to whip out his MA40, immediately releasing a barrage of 7.62x51mm rounds at his friend.

The bullets came in, Rebellio running to the side as he approached, but Chief was already following his movements, several rounds intercepting his path. The Falcon was forced to block them with his scythe, spinning it in front of him, though their armor-piercing capabilities wore the weapon down considerably, more thread flowing in from Rebellio's body to restore it.
Rebellio had managed to close the gap enough to get into melee range, a second scythe materializing in the Adept's left hand, one that he proceeded to throw at the Spartan, all while he made to leap over his ally, swinging his scythe as he moved above him.

117 lowered the AR as Rebellio tossed the second scythe. He swung his leg out, using the edge of his boot to kick the scythe, interrupting its path prematurely to launch it as close back to Rebellio as he could, making to intercept the boy with his own weapon.
The incoming scythe was blocked by the one Rebellio wielded, the impact powerful enough to break them both apart---but Rebellio still had control over the free-flowing thread. Nary a second after the collision, the thread moved right under Rebellio, taking the form of a guillotine blade, the Falcon leaping off of it and higher into the air as it was sent crashing down on top of 117. The Adept wasn't done, as he threw a series of knives downwards to intercept Chief's next position.

The fight had wasted no time in kicking off into high octane, and with Rebellio's familiar guillotine blade threatening above, the Spartan dove forward, opposite of Rebellio's trajectory, the two splitting off in opposing directions. John spun with his roll, trading out his AR for the Sidekick, bringing it up to find several knives flying toward him. Finger feathering the trigger, the Chief fired, bullets colliding with each knife in rapid succession, cancelling each other out, before he unloaded the remainder of the clip in Rebellio's direction.
Before the bullets could reach him, Rebellio's crimson halo flashed over himself, turning him into formless thread that momentarily vanished from sight. After a moment, the Falcon reappeared right behind John, a drill the size of his body enveloping him, almost like a miniature version of his Special Skill, the young man aiming to drive it into the Spartan's armor.

"Try behind," Kalmiya's voice rang inside Chief's helmet. She was beginning to sound more and more like the old Cortana he remembered. Cool and calm, with advice that conformed more to John's style of combat. Her advice prompted him to turn in an about face in time to see a threaded drill envelop Rebellio.
He could tell by Kalmiya's tone alone that she was as unhappy about this battle as he was. They'd all seen what happened when refusing the Host's will, however. Fighting was the only option, for now. So as the drill burst forward, John tossed down a small device, which erected a powerful orange wall less than a second later. With the drop wall active, Rebellio slammed into a center panel, managing to break through it, but the surrounding panels prevented Rebellio from reaching his mark, all while the Spartan had replaced his weapon again, exchanging the simple sidearm for the close quarters combat shotgun, Bulldog swinging up to begin rapidly firing its rounds towards Rebellio, any slugs passing through his end of the drop wall becoming electrified to deal extra, stunning damage.

One, two, three waves of bullets struck the Falcon, the first two being mitigated by the drill enveloping him before the third wave of slugs pierced through completely, shattering the drill and sending the Adept flying backwards, several rounds digging into Rebellio's armor, the ram-like horns on his head and the crimson halo thankfully saving him from any damage to his head.
Still, the electric properties of some of the bullets left him momentarily stunned, the young man dropping to a knee a dozen feet from the Spartan. Knowing being a sitting duck wouldn't do him any good, Rebellio was quick to manifest some more thread beneath 117's feet, several crimson spikes shooting out from below to stab into his armor, mainly to buy some time.
As Rebellio went for distance against the close-range weapon, John swapped out for his MA40 once more, taking aim-
"Look out, Chief! Below!"

He slid backward on his heels on instinct, though one of the manifested spikes grazed his Mjolnir Gen 3 power armor, chipping off some paint, moving too slow to flare the shields, but not moving quick enough to deplete them, completely bypassing his energy shields as a result.
Kicking up his knee, 117 snapped the spike from its base, catching it before it could fall, and hurled it one-armed like a javelin toward Rebellio, the spike passing through the drop wall to become electrified---though it began to deteriorate the spike, the photons in the electricity dampening the thread's integrity.
Despite the electricity's clear adverse effect on the threaded spike, the projectile managed to reach Rebellio before it could be completely destroyed. The Adept raised an arm in response, mostly recovered from the electric bullets from earlier, a crimson shield taking form in front of him, blocking the spike. The impact wasn't quite as powerful due to the photons weakening its integrity, but it managed to do some damage to the shield, what was left of the electric current moving throughout it and delivering a mild shock to Rebellio.

The Falcon grit his teeth, arm rearing back before he threw the damaged shield at Master Chief, the defensive construct suddenly morphing into an offensive one, taking the shape of a spiked mace as it flew. Making use of the distance he still had, Rebellio manifested a Gatling gun in his hands with a heave, revving up for a brief moment before firing a barrage of string bullets at 117.
While the drop wall was still up, Chief moved toward it, forcing Rebellio's mace to strike against it. While the drill had broken one of the panels, the mace only weakened the one it struck. The Spartan dropped onto a knee, unloading the rest of his MA40 clip toward Rebellio, once again using the drop wall as both cover against the kid's own thread bullets, and also to electrify his bullets for added effect.

"We shouldn't be doing this," Kalmiya muttered in John's ear.
"I know," was his only response.​

ArmedBlue

Previously Manu456Alola

Rebellio

(Co-Written with comic)​

Bullets flew from either side of the lobby, and despite Rebellio's gun having a higher fire rate, it was Master Chief who was at an advantage. His drop wall provided him with cover for any bullets that managed to reach him, and the electrically charged, armor piercing bullets were shredding through Rebellio's own.
Realizing he wouldn't be able to win the long-distance game like this, the Falcon slammed his weapon into the ground, Gatling breaking apart, the resulting thread becoming a durable barrier, John's bullets whittling it down at a steady pace. A large section of it soon fell apart---but there was no Rebellio behind it.

Seeing the empty space behind the barrier, instinct told John that his opponent was likely at his blind spot, something both his gut and his mind agreed on. The Spartan spun on the spot in time to see his friend moving in with a slash of a threaded blade, dangerously close.
His thoughts sent into the suit were also received by Kalmiya, allowing more advanced Mjolnir functionality, such as what he had just done, deactivating the power armor's energy shielding around his right forearm, which he used as a shield, blocking the sword slash, sparks flying as it ground against the armor, threatening to cut into the gauntlet. John used the opportunity to burst forward, his thrusters activating to slam his much larger, much heavier body into Rebellio's at point-blank, or as close to it as possible.

"Gah!"
The Spartan's sudden thrust caught Rebellio by surprise, Chief slamming into the young man at great speeds, sending him flying to the other end of the lobby, near the statues of all the eliminated fighters. Rebellio rolled roughly along the ground, stopping at the right in front Hareta's statue, the armor on the front side of his body clearly dented, damaged heavily by the blow.

The Falcon kept on fighting, however, sticking an arm out behind him, shooting a string to strike the Pokéball held by the statue of Hareta, ripping it from the hand and throwing it at John with surprising force. While the projectile headed towards his ally, Rebellio quickly approached, a scythe materializing in his left hand to slash alongside the threaded blade on his right once he got close enough to Chief.

The Spartan remained relentless. Following Rebellio's far flung folly, 117 charged forth, sprinting the length of the lobby after his friend, who sent a stone Pokéball toward the Spartan. He slid to a stop, pulling an arm back, before he thrust it forward.

The stone ball shattered bursting apart as John's armored fist heavily struck it, splintering it all apart. He was on the cusp of continuing his sprint, when Rebellio emerged from the small debris cloud of powdered stone, swinging his signature scythe.
The Spartan turned with the attack, the scythe's blade slashing into the armor casing just behind and above John's shoulders, catching for a moment as it became lodged an inch into the compact, durable armor, the energy shields bursting on impact, taking a large portion of the initial hit.

Raising his left arm, the Chief activated his repulsor, intent on bursting Rebellio into the base of Hareta's statue with the powerful kinetic blast, before reaching up to tug the scythe out of his armor.
"He's gotten better," Kalmiya stated approvingly.
He had, and John couldn't resist a sense of pride, even now.

The repulsor did its job, propelling Rebellio away just before he could follow up his initial attack, sending him hurtling towards Hareta's statue---but he managed to get his bearings just quick enough to shoot a string into Psyduck's statue, right next to Hareta.
From there, he pulled himself in slightly, passing in between the two statues before circling around, momentarily flying over the white void the lobby was hovering in, landing atop Psyduck's head, Gatling gun materializing once more. This reminded him of his first battle with Chief. Standing with his Gatling while on the high ground, firing down at the Chief below him...
Pushing the memories aside, Rebellio opened fire, string bullets raining from above.

With the drop wall module still recharging after use (it had depleted shortly after Chief's earlier thrust), John wasn't left with reliable cover immediately accessible. He'd successfully yanked the scythe out in time for Rebellio's barrage, and John sprang into action, leaping up, Rebellio's bullets following, a few pinging off the armor, leaving small dents, before the Spartan fired his grappleshot into Specter's statue, yanking himself rapidly toward it, no doubt throwing off Rebellio's aim.

In an orbit-like pattern, 117 swung around Specter's head, his momentum accelerating almost violently to form a blur as the grappleshot returned, and the Chief flew like a ballistic missile toward Rebellio, his legs tucked in to his chest, prepared to kick out once in range.
To Rebellio's surprise, Chief closed in incredibly quickly, even faster than when he'd first dealt with the Gatling forever ago. Very much aware of the incoming melee blow (and knowing teleporting right now would be just a little too slow to evade), Rebellio turned to face Chief, Gatling morphing into a large, durable shield, the Falcon positioning himself slightly to the side, just in time to deflect John's powerful kick.

The Spartan's leg glanced off the shield, but the momentum and power he carried were still effective. The shield shattered completely, causing Rebellio to lose his balance as even Psyduck's statue felt the blow, the top of the head crumbling apart as Rebellio fell to the ground below, managing to land on his feet, albeit a little roughly. Master Chief had been moving so quickly that the Falcon momentarily lost track of him, looking out into the lobby in search of his friend, scythe manifesting in his hand as a precaution.
Rebellio didn't have to look long, as the next moment sounded more stone cracking. The deflect that had sent Rebellio flying had redirected the super soldier, who had slammed into and through the center of Death's statue, which crumbled apart from above the waist (or what counted as a waist).

John rolled to a stop on the other side of Death, stopping a couple feet before the statue of Machamp. "We're all still friends after this, right?" Kalmiya's voice asked through Chief's external speakers.
The Master Chief fired his grappleshot into Death's head, moments before it was about to land on the ground. In a vein similar to Rebellio's earlier move, the Spartan used the grappleshot to swing the stone head, slinging it in Rebellio's direction.

Rebellio got moving right after Chief's grappleshot struck Death's head, heading straight toward 117 while the Spartan launched the stone skull towards him. The Falcon slid underneath it once it got close, swinging his scythe above him at the same time, causing several rocks to fall behind Rebellio, strings shooting out from his back to strike them.
"Of course we are," he replied, before the rocks trailing behind him were all flung above his head in unison, aiming to pelt Master Chief to cover Rebellio's approach.

It was a creative display, and beneath his grit and visor, John could feel the smallest of grins tugging at his lips. He raised his arms above his head as the rocks came pelting down. Whatever percentage of his shields that had started to recharge were knocked out as the collection of rocks slugged down. Before he'd raised his arms, he'd tugged out a small, cylindrical device, which he proceeded to toss down as Rebellio neared.
The device began to spit electricity, arcing in all directions with such intensity that the dynamo grenade hopped wildly about, threatening to ensnare anything caught in its radius as John stepped backwards, closer toward the Machamp statue while he raised his sidekick, opening fire on Rebellio.

The electricity prevented Rebellio from coming any closer to Chief, even forcing him to back off slightly as to stay out of its radius. Going around would give John too much time to react, and his teleports were starting to get predictable, so the Falcon chose to let the bullets to fire four crimson strings that flew above the Dynamo and Chief himself, striking each of the arms of Machamp's statue, several bullets piercing into his armor as he did so.
With a powerful tug, the large statue was brought crashing down on top of 117, Rebellio aiming to crush him under its weight.

Rebellio decided to risk tanking the bullets in order to-
John glanced up as the statue came toppling down. Thinking quickly, he slammed his fist to the ground, a white energy enveloping his body as he overloaded his shields, locking his armor, with absolutely no time to spare as the statue smashed down upon him, bursting apart as he buckled and bent, but didn't break.

Before the dust could settle, the short EMP wave burst outwardly as the overloaded shields burst, and the armor unlocked, 117 rising to his feet, aiming in the direction he'd seen Rebellio last, but eyes and radar proved he had moved---however, there were an army of strings lining to dozens of rocks, ranging from fist-sized pebbles to entire statues, all about him, and a look up confirmed that Rebellio was above him, connected to hundreds of strings that he was already tugging heavily upon, spinning as he moved for added effect and efficiency.

Normally, John would have started firing upward, but that minuscule grin of his seemed to grow ever so slightly more as he tucked his sidekick away.
"Good move, kid," he commented as tons of rock converged on him, the Spartan caught in the total epicenter.

With 117 buried beneath the rocks, Rebellio had the perfect chance to follow up with a devastating blow, especially considering the Spartan was temporarily unable to use his EMP, a move that had managed to counter the Falcon's most powerful move during their first fight.
A criss cross pattern of thread formed beneath Rebellio as he fell, enveloping his body, taking the shape of a crimson drill, larger than the one he'd used before, much like the one he tended to craft at the end of his Crimson-Death-Thread. The drill spun at incredible speeds, only seeming to speed up with each passing moment. This was it. This was his chance.

Memories flashing by.

His first meeting with Chief. Getting to learn of his feats, to chat with Kalmiya, enjoying a brief respite before their battle...

Being reborn right after the battle. A mutual respect was established between him and Chief, the two agreeing to look for people to start a resistance, not knowing it'd be futile...

Learning of the keys and threats present at the tournament. Receiving the overshield module from Chief, being trusted with not just that, but also Kalmiya herself the following round...

"We're all still friends after this, right?" Kalmiya's words from moments ealier echoed in his head.

The drill dug into the debris, but it had slowed down considerably, even diminishing in size. Instead of stabbing through 117, it burrowed into the rocks until reaching the Spartan, at which point the drill stopped almost completely, only piercing a couple inches into the soldier's breastplate, light streaming in from above.

The crimson drill broke apart, revealing Rebellio standing within, scythe in his hand, the blade pressed up against John's neck, applying some pressure to the armor. Yet Rebellio did not follow through. John recognized what the look in his eyes meant.

Hesitation.

"I... I can't..."

Without another word, the Falcon's form burst into thread, Rebellio reappearing at the top of the hole he'd dug into the debris, a single string emerging from his hand, lowering down for Master Chief to grab, clearly intending on pulling him out of there.

comic

Master Chief

(Co-Written with ArmedBlue)​

"He's... sparing us," Kalmiya noted as John stared at the string that had lowered. This situation wasn't entirely unfamiliar to the Spartan---he'd had to face someone he cared about before, that being Cortana. But this was different. Cortana had changed, become something she wasn't, lost in a well of superiority and pessimism. Rebellio hadn't "gone bad", he wasn't destroying things but still calling the Chief his friend. He was still Rebellio. That made the entire situation all the more difficult.

Grasping onto the thread, the Master Chief rose up out of the drilled hole of rock, eventually coming to a stop at the top, stepping onto the pile beside Rebellio.
"You know they won't let us end the fight peacefully," he stated.

"Yeah, it's just..." Rebellio replied, his voice quiet. "I've done nothing but fight for the longest time. Ending innocent lives just to survive, doing the dirty work for someone higher than me." He paused for a moment, catching his breath, looking down at his hands. "All I hoped for was freedom. The chance to have someone to talk to regularly. Getting to walk around freely outside of a cell. And... I think you helped me get a glimpse of that. Of hope."

He looked back up at John, a slight smile returning to his face.

"I don't think I can bring myself to take out the one person here I consider a friend," he continued. "Besides, you're the one who's fighting for something bigger than yourself. You're the one who's saved the galaxy three times already. You're the one protecting humanity." Rebellio added, now realizing just how similar Chief was to all those stories he'd heard of that Luminous Avenger iX.

"You're the one who deserves to win this."

The Spartan stood in front of Rebellio for a moment. A long moment.
Before he could do anything, Kalmiya's hologram flickered to life in front of Chief, eye-level with Rebellio.

"I can't say that I've had too many friends, but... Rebellio..." she seemed to be searching for words. For such a hyper-advanced artificial intelligence, she seemed to be struggling for a response to convey what she wanted.

Rebellio seemed to understand, however, and John took a step forward. His steely gaze of the visor didn't allow much emotion to shine through, but the body language expressed all too clearly his own sense of hesitation. Of reluctance. Of sorrow.

The Chief raised a hand, and placed it softly, though firmly, upon Rebellio's shoulder. It could have been akin to how a father might express pride in his son.
"I'm... proud of you," John nodded. "You're a good person. You don't deserve what happened to you, or this tournament. But you won't get back to that life if I can help it. When this is over, I'll do everything I can. I promise."

In a move that gave the Chief pause, uncertain of how to proceed, Rebellio moved forward to wrap his arms a bit awkwardly around the Spartan's middle in a hug. It took a second, then another, before John's arm moved to embrace Rebellio, equally as awkward, if not moreso.
"I know you will," Rebellio said, "that's who you are."

A flash of crimson light burst out of Rebellio's back, and his eyes shut tight. He'd seen the Master Chief's other hand pull out the handle to the energy sword. He'd known it was coming.
The Chief stiffened as Rebellio slacked, and he lowered the boy to the ground, deactivating the bloodblade to lay the young man upon the ground. Behind the visor, Chief was gritting his teeth. If only this "greatest honor" they were fighting for was worth it, if it could make this right...

"I'm sorry..." John muttered as Rebellio let out a final gasp---before he disappeared in a flash, leaving 117's arms empty, the falcon quill drifting to the ground.

The quill drifted low into the Chief's hand, and his fingers curled slowly around it. "Chief..." Kalmiya breathed out. "We... did what we had to do... now let's do right by him."

No fanfare echoed. The Host did not reappear. Chief was left, standing alone among the rubble, sliding the falcon quill in one of his hidden pockets, which also contained the fragments of Lola, Metal Sonic's back-up data chip, and soil samples taken by the group of monkeys working under Specter's orders.

The fight was finished.
But there was still one last thing to happen.​

Suddenly, the entire world went black. To Chief this must have felt familiar, as the heat of the keys felt strong inside of himself, in fact, they felt stronger than they have ever felt before.

As the world filled up before him, he found himself in a grand cathedral. The cathedral appeared to be worn down, like some kind of event forced it into this state it had become. The polished tile was now covered in sand and dust, the stained glass had lost it's luster, and the air felt stagnant, as if it came from an unopened crypt.

That's when the centerpiece of the room appeared to take shape. A massive spider that took up a large portion, mechanoid and apparently frozen in time. It was in combat with other figures. An anthropomorphic fox and hedgehog, a robot with two assault rifles, and a humanoid fish woman of some kind appeared to be locked in combat with it. Spears hurled, bullets fired, and kicks dashed.

"Oh? So someone is here."

A small table was spotted nearby, two chairs pulled out from it. One was inhabited by a figure. It was a girl that sported green hair, a rather modest figure, and donned a black dress. The girl had a tea set all prepared, sipping from a cup she had poured for herself.

"Hmmm...Monaca wouldn't expect anyone in a million years showing up out of the blue like this." The girl commented. "I take it that means you almost have them all, right?"

comic

Master Chief

"Who is that?" Kalmiya's voice asked the Spartan, unheard by Monaca. Chief didn't reply, though he had a vague understanding. His other self had been somewhat aware of a key being located in a city, fought over by the rivaling villainous factions. There were heroes trying to fight as well. This was the result.

He possessed six of the keys now, he could feel it even without seeing it. This girl a distance from him likely possessed the last.

"Almost," John confirmed, taking slow steps forward, closing the distance between the two gradually. "I take it that means you have the last."​

"That statement is correct mr stranger." Monaca nodded as Chief approached. "I hold the last key, and I know you want it. Monaca doesn't intent on forcing you into a deal or anything like that, that would be uncool. In fact, I plan on giving it to you, no strings attached!"

Monaca beamed a smile. An eerie smile that could shroud something behind. She patted the chair next to her with an open palm, holding her smile.

"Come, the tea is fresh and hot."

comic

She seemed to have info about the keys that nobody else in the tournament had possessed. It wasn't necessarily that he wanted the keys, but something about them seemed to be important to the overall scheme of whatever was happening. He might have won the tournament, but he'd be foolish not to think he still wasn't a pawn in some grand plan beyond his perception.

He had no reason to provoke her, nor to deny her request, despite his misgivings and general confusion about the scenario. So he approached and awkwardly sat down upon the too-small chair, which creaked under him.

"Do you know what these keys are?" he asked.​

"Know what they are? That's pretty funny, I figured an adult would know by now~" She teased him. "They are power. Power to do anything. ...If you were to out your mind to it that is."

She poured Chief a cup of tea, putting the cup on the ceramic plate in front of him. Despite her demeanor and appearance, her knowledge about the keys contrasted this. Her smile never wavered as she continued, sipping from her cup.

"Anything you want? They can give you. ...Or so I thought. They were meant to come together and make your wishes reality, until somebody changed the rules."

She pouted a bit at this, peering out a crack in the window. It appeared a massive ship with the Eggman empire logo embalmed on it was making a pass, frozen in time. A missile was but inches between it and the stained glass in front of her.

"You are collecting them without knowing their purpose? Hehe, that's so silly mister demon~"

comic

He followed her gaze out of the window. Despite the tea, he didn't remove his helmet. She concluded by calling him a "demon", which drew his attention back to her. He doubted she meant it in the way he was familiar with, but it was an interesting coincidence nonetheless.

"I'm not collecting them," John decided to set the record straight for her. They'd never been his purpose. Well, not this version of him, at least. His other self had been insistent on preventing them from falling into enemy hands. He gave it a moment of thought, only about a second or two, before he frowned behind his visor. "I think they're the ones that collected me."​

Monaca gave it a second to process, staring up at the golden visor that offered no insight of emotion underneath. Didn't take long for her smile to return.

"Something exciting must be brewing out there, thought Monaca doesn't need to see it to be satisfied."

She looked to the battle that was frozen unfolding in the center of the room. She gave a moment of reflection, before putting down her cup of tea.

"I used to think that the keys could be what I needed. To use them to create the successor to big sis Junko's will. But after a while...I began to think otherwise."

The green haired girl poked her chin, offering a rare insight into her way of thinking.

"It was as if a big moment was approaching, one that could change my life forever. Buuuuut I knew in my heart of hearts the heroes would win anyway. So that's why I gave up on the whole successor idea, Warriors of Hope, Monaca Towa's empire. It didn't mean anything anymore. Do you know why, mister?"

She turned to him, a wicked look upon her face. Her eyes became deepest and her smile became a twisted grin. She was getting some kind of sick enjoyment deep down about this.

"Because whatever gate these keys unlocked had a change of heart. The moment oblivion came, I saw true despair. Take the key mister. Because no matter what happens, Despair will follow. And with that, Monaca has served her purpose, Monaca is satisfied~"

comic

It wasn't the easiest thing, to follow what this girl was talking about. "Junko" and "Warriors of Hope" rang zero bells, but the girl laid out some of her ambitions---ambitions she'd thrown out. Her pessimism regarding the keys and what they beheld, what lay beyond the "gate", were displayed clear as day.

"True despair" she called it.

Master Chief understood what she meant. Power could only bring such a feeling. Power provoked challenge, and challenge initiated war. Power gained was always lost, and whatever was lost would be gained again. An endless, hopeless cycle.

But the Spartan didn't want power. He didn't want to use the keys, nor did he want this "greatest honor". He was so used to despair and loss... he doubted anything else that could happen would break him. Monaca was satisfied, so he supposed so was he. With her speech concluded, he gave no more words, passed no judgement, offered no farewells, only a silent, steely gaze as he waited for the final key.​

Monaca wordlessly lifted her pinky as she sipped her tea from the cub. After a few seconds, she tapped her pinky against the cup. After she did this, a ripple would come across the tea at chief's side of the table. Inside the dark colored fluid was a glowing light. Growing brighter and brighter, shape began to come to before-

Tink!

It floated out of the tea and into the air. The closer it appeared to get to Chief, the more the surroundings appeared to change. Time...began to move. The airborne. bullets crept closer and the slider could just barley be seen budging. As it was inches from chief's grasp, Monaca offered a small smile and a wave.

"This is goodbye, Mr."

comic

The frozen world began to move, growing steadily faster. As the key rose, the Spartan reached for it, before he momentarily paused, his gaze turning back toward Monaca.
He wasn't sure what had happened to such a young girl to turn her into what was clearly the villain these heroes were trying to defeat, with Eggman trying to eradicate her. She seemed resigned to her fate, however. Perhaps her time frozen in this... the key in her possession had spared her the same fate that everyone else had. His mind flitted back to the first key he'd retrieved.

"Good luck," John offered her with a nod, before his fingers curled around the final key, and he vanished only a moment before the area he'd just been in was engulfed in an inferno of flames.

The lobby returned, and the key was gone, just like the others had been. He had them all... but for what? Again, the Host did not appear. No gateways opened. The rubble and ruined statues remained. Remembering what had happened the last times new keys had been collected, the Chief turned his gaze upward to the sky.​

The last key Chief had in his possession shimmered. A vibrant red light shown through as it erupted from chief's chest, flying upwards to what remained of the faux sky above.

CRAAAAASH!

The sky disappeared, shattered completely into fragments like glass. These fragments joined the others previously segmented off by the others keys, floating in place. However, this time they began to quiver and budge. The shards began to link up, forming geometric shapes. Soon enough, if was obvious what they were building: a staircase.

The staircase linked from the bottom of the plaza all the way past where the false sky had been. What was awaited up there, from the looks of things, was just a black void. Yet it was a void the keys inside of him insisted on delving into. Up there, somewhere, awaited them answer to this. 'The greatest honor'.