• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

CoroCoro Reveal Four New Mega Pokémon + A Bunch Of Information!

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
BzkwvZiCcAAkMi9.jpg
The latest edition of Japanese magazine CoroCoro has started to leak this morning and brought with it the official reveal of four brand new Mega Pokémon.

BzksvgKCIAAZ2CJ.jpg

First up we have the reveal of Mega Beedrill. This Mega has been given the ability Adaptability and keeps its Bug and Poison typing. It also gets a boost in its Attack and Speed stats.

Bzks9N9CEAEfsXg.jpg-large.jpeg

Next up we have a Mega Pidgeot! This Pokémon keeps its Normal and Flying typing and gains the ability No Guard. It has also been stated that the Mega will be getting a boost in its Special Attack stat.

BzkvfK1CMAMIUpT.jpg

The magazine has also officially revealed the Mega evolutions for Latios and Latias. It's said that during your adventure the player will befriend one of the two and be able to fly through the skies with them thanks to a new item known as the Eon Flute.

While flying through the skies players will come across new areas known as Mythical Places in the form of clouds and islands which contain Legendary Pokémon from past generations. CoroCoro reveals that between Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon X and Pokémon Y players will now be able to get their hands on all Legendary Pokémon. It's worth noting that this doesn't include event-only Pokémon such as Mew etc.

Next month's edition of CoroCoro will be giving away a special code for Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire allowing players to get their hands on either Latios or Latias depending on which of the two Pokémon cannot be caught in your version of the game.

I think I'm about as speechless now than I was with Mega Rayquaza. I did not see Mega Pidgeot or Mega Beedrill coming & I'm just so excited that two of the oldest (& yet forgettable) pokémon are actually getting mega evolutions, both of which look amazing by the way. Plus, all of the info with the neon ticket and encounter pokémon up in the clouds just sounds amazing! Though, the one thing that I'm not that thrilled about is that Mega Latios & Mega Latias still look exactly the same

I am sooooo going to rock a mega Beedrill when this comes out! That thing looks SWEET! I just hope it's physical defense gets shored up a little.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Fjsi cu sjjfjc MEGA BIRD JESUS MAKES AN APPEARANCE????

In all seriousness the other day I had a discussion with a friend about possible new megas and I mentioned mega Pidgeot as a joke. I'm surprised it's NOT a joke, though. Mega Beedrill is also right out of nowhere, though it's nice to get confirmation of the Mega Man Lati@s.

I'm really interested in the Mythical Places, though. It'll be sooo much easier to complete the National Dex now thanks to those~ but I do wonder what made Game Freak put them in.

The main thing that saddens me is that this is turning into every other gen then 3 gets megas which is a bit sad since so many gen 3 mons would be deserving. Oh well, I still love that Beedrill got a mega so most likely Butterfree will as well.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Being able to obtain every Legendary is a huge boom. I'm hoping we get Mew, Jirachi, Deoxys, etc events in the future to get all Legendaries in Gen VI. At the very least I expect Jirachi and Deoxys at some point. After that I'm expecting what ever Pokemon are not available between XY and ORAS will be obtainable in the next Kalos game to make Gen VI completely self contained.

These new Megas are completely out of left field. I would have never guessed we'd get Beedrill and Pidgeot. Does this mean Kanto confirmed? Blazing Fire Red and Vibrant Leaf Green maybe? *shot* I'm kidding of course. What I'm not kidding about is how cool those two look both in concept and design! ♥ I just find it disappointing that Lati@s get the same Mega and not different designs. It's more like they used the DNA Splicers to fuse Latias and Latios than used a Mega Stone.

Called Mega Beedrill. Somehow. But being able to catch Dialga, Palkia, Zekrom, Reshiram and others? That surprised me.

The fact that you fly around Hoenn with the Eon duo makes me think that they'll have Fly pre-learned...

Mega Beedrill.. :O

C'mon CoroCoro! where's Mega Butterfree?! xD

And Pidgeot, I love the design, it's almost like Braviary in a way.. o.o

I hope to see Mega Raichu be confirmed, a powerful Kanto electric type! :D

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Does this mean Kanto confirmed? Blazing Fire Red and Vibrant Leaf Green maybe? *shot* I'm kidding of course.
You know, that's actually an interesting statement, simply because 2016 is when Pokémon officially celebrates its 20th anniversary. I personally think we might just see a special game released to tie into it that year, after the Kalos third version/sequels next year. Here's why it'd work:

After the release of Black and White 2, we've moved onto an annual release cycle for Pokémon. This means that in three years, we will be starting to reach the end of the release pattern (main game, third version(s), remakes) well before the end of the 3DS's life cycle. With the 3DS not really going anywhere, and the New 3DS about to land, where do we go with Pokémon?

I think the gap provides an interesting opportunity for Game Freak: I doubt they want to commit to an entirely new region and revamped engine for a New 3DS-exclusive Gen 7 that year - they might not have had long enough. So what juicy steak do they throw to us salivating, snapping masses after the second coming of Kalos, but before they can release Gen 7 properly?

To me, the answer is fairly simple: a 20th Anniversary special edition game. Not yet more remakes of RBY/FRLG - at least, I hope not - but a new adventure set within Kanto. Red 2 and Blue 2, if you will, with many of the same enhancements that Black 2 and White 2 brought to the first Unova games. That way, they get to do something original while still returning to their roots for the anniversary.

Plus, the patterns Game Freak follow add up: their "remakes" are getting more creative every single time (contrast FRLG, which was a straight remake with the Sevii Islands bolted on the end, with what we can already see in ORAS), we know they really enjoy revisiting Kanto (it appeared in all generations bar 5 and 6 so far!), and they like marking anniversaries - although they haven't done it with a full game just yet. Plus, XY's "next game propaganda", which of course we all picked up copious Hoenn references from, also points fairly strongly to something around Kanto - after all, XY's optional legends are Zygarde, Mewtwo, and the Kanto legendary birds, and you could get Mega Kanto starters for free.

Obviously, any speculating regarding the games' content goes from slightly hopeful analysis to pure wishmongering, but I'm sure they'd take the opportunity to give us yet more Mega evolutions, a vastly expanded Kanto Pokédex, and a chance for Blue to SMELL YA LATER at least once more. And gratuitous Pikachu, of course.

So much gratuitous Pikachu.

(For what it's worth, a lot of this is based on @Doctor Oak's thinking. He's better at analysing Game Freak than me!)

Last edited:

Awoken

Formerly Jason59707
You know, that's actually an interesting statement, simply because 2016 is when Pokémon officially celebrates its 20th anniversary. I personally think we might just see a special game released to tie into it that year, after the Kalos third version/sequels next year. Here's why it'd work:

After the release of Black and White 2, we've moved onto an annual release cycle for Pokémon. This means that in three years, we will be starting to reach the end of the release pattern (main game, third version(s), remakes) well before the end of the 3DS's life cycle. With the 3DS not really going anywhere, and the New 3DS about to land, where do we go with Pokémon?

I think the gap provides an interesting opportunity for Game Freak: I doubt they want to commit to an entirely new region and revamped engine for a New 3DS-exclusive Gen 7 that year - they might not have had long enough. So what juicy steak do they throw to us salivating, snapping masses after the second coming of Kalos, but before they can release Gen 7 properly?

To me, the answer is fairly simple: a 20th Anniversary special edition game. Not yet more remakes of RBY/FRLG - at least, I hope not - but a new adventure set within Kanto. Red 2 and Blue 2, if you will, with many of the same enhancements that Black 2 and White 2 brought to the first Unova games. That way, they get to do something original while still returning to their roots for the anniversary.

Plus, the patterns Game Freak follow add up: their "remakes" are getting more creative every single time (contrast FRLG, which was a straight remake with the Sevii Islands bolted on the end, with what we can already see in ORAS), we know they really enjoy revisiting Kanto (it appeared in all generations bar 5 and 6 so far!), and they like marking anniversaries - although they haven't done it with a full game just yet. Plus, XY's "next game propaganda", which of course we all picked up copious Hoenn references from, also points fairly strongly to something around Kanto - after all, XY's optional legends are Zygarde, Mewtwo, and the Kanto legendary birds, and you could get Mega Kanto starters for free.

Obviously, any speculating regarding the games' content goes from slightly hopeful analysis to pure wishmongering, but I'm sure they'd take the opportunity to give us yet more Mega evolutions, a vastly expanded Kanto Pokédex, and a chance for Blue to SMELL YA LATER at least once more. And gratuitous Pikachu, of course.

So much gratuitous Pikachu.

(For what it's worth, a lot of this is based on @Doctor Oak's thinking. He's better at analysing Game Freak than me!)
So basically what you're saying... is that in a few years Pokémon could be cancelled?

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
So basically what you're saying... is that in a few years Pokémon could be cancelled?
That statement has absolutely no relation to any points I was making. :p So much so that I'm curious what part of my post makes you think I'm saying that?

For what it's worth, Pokémon will stop getting made when it no longer makes Nintendo money, and not a single second before.

Burgundy

Formerly SuperSableye24
Oooh~Mega Beedrill and Mega Pidgeot~♥
Also nice to see Mega Lati@s finally officially revealed.

Interesting thing to note that according to Serebii, there's a new replacement for the PokeNav called the MultiNavi. It has four functions, including MapNavi, TVNavi, PlayNavi (Which has stuff like Amie and the GTS), and DexNavi, which ties into that clip of Brendan sneaking up on a Pikachu in that trailer we got a while ago. Glad to see the PokeNav back as well! :)

Jhan Garc

Formerly AkenabeShiro
Interesting thing to note that according to Serebii, there's a new replacement for the PokeNav called the MultiNavi. It has four functions, including MapNavi, TVNavi, PlayNavi (Which has stuff like Amie and the GTS), and DexNavi, which ties into that clip of Brendan sneaking up on a Pikachu in that trailer we got a while ago. Glad to see the PokeNav back as well! :)

Wait,what?!

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord

At the moment, I'd probably put stock in a Wii U game set in Kanto (or even multiple regions) rather than yet another Gen I remake. With their increasing work in a 3D space on the 3DS, the barriers to GameFreak developing for the consoles have fallen in recent years - and indeed, there's enough to say that the current 3DS games are built with an engine designed to expand onto more powerful hardware with only a bit of work.

Unlike previous games - particularly those by Genius Sonority - it wouldn't need another developer to handle the game's duties, and GameFreak are at a large enough point in their business that they can already divide into multiple teams for multiple games at any rate.

Masuda is seemingly not involved with Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire as Director (though we can assume he will remain credited as Producer and is obviously still involved in the development one way or another), which means that he has rather immediately moved onto his next project after X and Y - much like his roles in the previous two Generations where he led as director for Diamond and Pearl, and Black and White and then moved on - effectively to the next Generation - immediately afterwards.

That means that Masuda is either working on Generation VII right now, or on something else entirely. Harmoknight does mean it could literally be anything, including a non-Pokemon project, but as it is the 20th anniversary of the Pokemon franchise coming up, I would expect it to be directly related to a project with this in mind. I also somewhat expect that, given the life extension Nintendo has given the 3DS, there won't be a hurry to move to the next Generation, either, and, in fact, I question if there'll ever be another true 'new Generation' ever again - but I'll explain my thoughts on that another time...

The Wii U is an obvious choice as it not only allows them to do something new, but it allows them to continue their plans on the 3DS unabated - which obviously includes OR/AS this year and almost certainly an additional Kalos title next year. It also, frankly, has to be what Nintendo are pushing so so so hard for as the Wii U continues to struggle. A console Pokemon title from Game Freak is, with barely a hint of hyperbole, a license to print enough money to buy half of Africa. An anniversary title on the 3DS would do well, but would draw criticism if it focused so much on Kanto it effectively was yet another Gen I remake. Any fully featured title on the Wii U would do better and likely avoid any such criticism. It seems like a no brainer, really.

I do think, whatever happens, that in 2016, we will see a lot of Kanto and its inhabitants regardless. It's such an obvious nostalgia tapping point that even X and Y focused so heavily on it in an attempt to bring people, who may have lapsed in the Generations in between, back on board. It would be worth remembering though that it wouldn't merely be 20 years since the original Pokemon games, but 20 years of more Pokemon. I think we will see a fair amount of celebration about the rest of Pokemon's many many assets. A multi-region game, if it's ever going to happen, would probably happen in 2016.

YueliaBreeze

Formerly Midnight Midna, MoonSnow
The other day i woke up to this and i thought it was fake to be honest but watch i watched KingNappy Explain it i was tearing up cause of this new's it really looks amazing the after game seems it's going to be better then X/Y ever was mega beedrill though i was really shocked that why didn't butterfree ever get one ? did they for get about that pokemon ? but this news is really something..

Like the new mega designs, I wasn't expecting mega beedrill though XD im totally getting it on my team XP. What throwed me off was the statement that you can catch the previous legendaries from other gens. I think pokemon made somewhat clear that there is changes happening... I wonder if after this they will focus on new gens :? If so this could be why the sudden shiny rate increase in XY and now with this, Im almost certain Nintendo is planning something.

YueliaBreeze

Formerly Midnight Midna, MoonSnow
Like the new mega designs, I wasn't expecting mega beedrill though XD im totally getting it on my team XP. What throwed me off was the statement that you can catch the previous legendaries from other gens. I think pokemon made somewhat clear that there is changes happening... I wonder if after this they will focus on new gens :? If so this could be why the sudden shiny rate increase in XY and now with this, Im almost certain Nintendo is planning something.
I kinda agreen on there Bioaura XDDD

You're probably right, but maybe Gamefreak could do the first 3 regions as they were all, as far as I know, were all on an older console than DS and Wii.

Nice. More good news. Mega Beedrill looks epic. Latias and Latios are, meh. Not into them much. Mega Pidgeot looks nice too. And cool, you can get all legendaries, yay!

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
It's most likely a forme of Hoopa actually rather than a 'new Pokemon' or a mega evolution - but there probably is some kind of connection, anyway. We'll probably never know until the actual game is datamined as opposed to just the demo.