• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Decline in Quality of Dub Intro Songs

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I doubt I'm the only one who's noticed that the latest dub songs have been getting worse and worse with each new one that's released. The downfall seemed to be the first Advanced intro, which, while having its charm, is definitely not as good as Master Quest's. Maybe it's because none of the latest songs have been given extended editions - though JLC and MQ weren't really given "true" extended editions either - but there's something just not right about them. The others, no matter how corny they were, seemed to have a special feel to them - that spark that made them "Pokemon". These latest ones just don't. It's hard to explain... "I Wanna Be a Hero" partially did, but it was still lacking overall. Advanced Challenge's seemed rushed, and this new intro doesn't sit well with me at all. This could all just be in my head, but, being the intro junkie that I am, I notice this kinda stuff.

What do you guys think?

I've noticed that to. The old pokemon beginnings atleast had some feel and meaning to them now they're just getting lazy, not caring much about it anymore.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Alex, you pretty much hit the nail on the head where I'm concerned. The people in charge of the Pokemon dub just don't care anymore like they use to.

Most obvious point? No new CDs in YEARS. They used to attempt to emulate the Japanese style by giving every theme an extended version/CD release and haven't done that since Johto. I miss those emensely. Yeah, QQ's right... the Japanese themes are all better... but I still love the english themes, too. Or I did until they started treating them like they do now -.-

Guess the CDs just weren't selling enough...

Doctor Oak said:
LIES.

The original theme (Both Dub and Japanese) is Teh R0x. If for no other reason than pure nostalgia.
i think it sucks meanly because the lyrics in english are corny but aslo because i hate michael jackson's singing

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I highly doubt Serebii would've ever said that, even as the joke, especially considering how much he hates rumors in any shape or form. Love the guy or not, he's not that much of an idiot :? *No comment, Doc* :p

Man, if Micheal Jackson actually DID sing a Pokemon song it'd be awesome. The only big singer who ever did one was Wierd Al. The rest were all unknowns (relatively) or boy/girl bands.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The guy that sang the First Movie theme was famous enough at the time. But the only reason they got him was because it was the First Movie and WB were throwing as much money as they could at it.

Micheal Jackson is one of the finest singers in the world.

Just because he's a freak in his personal life doesn't mean his actual talent is negated.

But he did not sing any Pokemon songs and, as Katie said, there's no way in hell Serebii would have said that either.

Agreed, Michael Jackson is a great singer, even if he does sing his songs as lullabies to young boys... o_O

Speaking of which, the eighth movie is the first movie since Heroes that has its main theme remixed in the Japanese version (though it has the ninth season's theme song). I wonder what they'll do in the dub, and what they'll come up with for the ninth movie?