• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Do You Ever Use Legendaries for Your In-Game Teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title implies, I was wondering if anyone ever uses legendary pokémon when using their in-game teams. Normally, I stopped using them since Ruby & Sapphire since I kind found it unfair due to them being overpowered and you already have your team planned out by the time you catch them. Plus, I always get sick when I see people spam them for their teams in wifi battles.

However, I was thinking of making an exception for my Ultra Sun playthrough since I have a lv. 10 Tornadus that I transferred from Black 2 via the Dream Radar. I'm not really interested in using any of the Flying pokémon available in Ultra Sun right now, and I always loved Therian Tornadus's design, so I thought I'd try using it on my team to see how it works, though I'm not sure since I'm worried it's still unfair to use a legendary pokémon for my in-game team.

So, I wanted to get other people's opinion partly to help me make a decision, & partly to see how everyone feels about this subject.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
I've used Legendaries on half my teams already and it's always the mascot. I used Lugia in both Silver and Soul Silver, Suicune in Crystal, Kyogre in Sapphire and Alpha Sapphire, Palkia in Pearl, and Lunala in Moon and Ultra Moon.

The only games I did not use the Version mascot in my playthrough was Emerald because of how late in the game you get Rayquaza, Platinum because I was basing my team off of an OC and thus had no room for Giratina, White and White2 because of how late you get those Legendaries again, why I didn't use Yveltal in Y is a mystery to me but I think I just liked the team I was using too much to drop any one. I kind of regret that actually.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Pretty much exclusively in Black/White - and even that's usually only for the sake of that one battle - because even if it isn't strictly necessary, it feels thematically appropriate. Otherwise I basically catch the Legendaries to sort of check-mark them in the 'game goals' thing and leave them be.

Since I tend to capture all of the Pokemon I can get my greedy little hands on, I end up training all of them, and that includes all of the legendaries I've caught, no matter how far I am in the game.

I WILL have that army of Pokemon.

Looks at my team of 19 Pokemon in Pokemon Moon and not even heading to the Hau'oli City's Cemetery or past Route 2 yet and sighs.

It's going to be a long day...

EDIT: I just remembered... The ONLY Legendaries I've caught would be Lugia in SoulSilver before I deleted the file, Palkia in Pearl before I deleted that file, and a Shiny Event Tapu Koko in Moon before I've even gotten to Route 2. xD Soo uhh.... Yea... If I could have them all though, I will.

Last edited:
I never really have legendaries on my main team, rather I catch them to fill their spot in the Dex. However, I sometimes use them in the post-game. Not having legendaries just makes the game more of a challenge, especially since the newer games are easy due to the EXP share and such.

YOUNGER ME : Raged at a lot of battles, brought a full team/highest amount possible of legendaries to the E4 or to a legendary battle. Though using Legendaries was good because it made me feel powerful

NOW ME: Doesn't rage often, uses 1 legendary maximum, usually a small one post-game (e.g. Type: Null). Thinks using a legendary just makes the game less challenging and faster to complete (which makes the game more boring)

I changed.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
It depends what the legendary is. I'll almost always use Kyogre/Groudon to mop up what's left of R/S or OR/AS just out of convenience. Zekrom was more-or-less forced on me in White (not that I minded since he's quite unique and fun to use,) and I did use Xerneas to crush Lysandre (it seemed appropriate) before demoting him to the PC to wrap up the rest of the game. After Palkia ended up being rather boring to use though I tend to just send them to the PC right after catching them.

I have soft-reset a few for tournament purposes, which naturally gets them kicked to the PC immediately after until they can be EV'd properly.

Eh... I'll say no. Honestly, I don't even bother catching most legendaries, much less use them. Mewtwo is the only one I catch on the regular, mainly cuz nostalgia.

As for using them, I don't, mainly because I feel it makes the game easier. I'm also the kind of person that doesn't use mega-evo's and z-moves. : P

YOUNGER ME : Raged at a lot of battles, brought a full team/highest amount possible of legendaries to the E4 or to a legendary battle. Though using Legendaries was good because it made me feel powerful

NOW ME: Doesn't rage often, uses 1 legendary maximum, usually a small one post-game (e.g. Type: Null). Thinks using a legendary just makes the game less challenging and faster to complete (which makes the game more boring)

I changed.
This is pretty much me, though I never use legendaries now. The only exception that I'd make would be Articuno, because it's the first one I ever caught and I get nostalgia feels when using it. Using them started to feel kinda cheap after Ruby/Sapphire and I've never used one on a team since. Doesn't help that the games got easier either. Just feels like overkill when you can beat the game with (mostly) whatever you want.

I also never use Z moves. Don't feel like giving up that item slot.

Nah. I feel like building a bond with a wild pokemon just feels better than having a legendary on your team. I like to see it as if the pokemon I bring along have their own lore and personality than be a 'powerful' pokemon. But that's just me.

Not usually something I go for, for more or less the same reason as the other folk here :p
It limits the kind of bond you can create so to speak with them in an immersive sense.

Typically, you encounter them near the end of the game, so your experience with them in your party ranges from somewhat brief to extraordinarily short. They are unique, which in someways is cool but, in others detracts from the idea that you are a world class trainer, able to catch, rear and bond with a wild pokémon and raise them to be a powerhouse on the battlefield.This is because they are already powerful, they already have their own backstory. I mean you can catch Arceus which is essentially pokémon god, which may appeal to some people but just rips the charm and immersion out of it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.