• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Do you think Wii Sports, is the #1 top selling game of all time?

Spurred by chat. *points to Sem, then flees*

According to Sem, the Super Mario games are no longer the #1 Top selling game of all time. Wii Sports is.

I don't agree with this, because Wii's are very popular. Whether you want Wii Sports or not, you have no choice. It COMES with a Wii. >>
So naturally, since Wiis are very popular, the sell. They also "sell" Wii Sports, since it comes with a Wii.

In my little sphere known as my brain, I think the Super Mario bros games are still the #1 top selling game of all time, since people willingly brought the games. Not just because it came with a popular system.

so, opinions?

Me? I don't think so. Not at all.

Sure I don't have a Wii, but I think that the reason why Wii Sports bested Mario in sales is because it is a very widespread game, so people from more countries buy it. And yes, if you buy a Wii, you get Wii Sports. Unfair.

I think the Super Mario bros games are still the #1 top selling game of all time, since people willingly brought the games. Not just because it came with a popular system.

I'm going to have to agree with you there.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Wii Sports is sold separately in Japan, and is the #1 selling Wii game in Japan.

Although, you can't really complain about Mario being outsold by a bundled game when the majority of Nintendo's systems have been bundled with a Mario game themselves at some point and you can hardly say people were buying those games of their own free will any more than Wii Sports.

There's no real point to worry about it though - any serious lists of these things would make mention of Wii Sports but wouldn't count it because of the circumstances.

Maybe you should be taking more issue that one of the top 5 selling games of last year worldwide was Wii Fit. :p

And in order to shed a little more light on the subject along the lines of what Alex is talking about, linky. There are some figures in there that will show how exactly it happened. And they do also refer to the fact that both games were bundled with their respective consoles when they were out, so that doesn't make nearly as big as an impact as one might think.