• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

English Zygarde and Ash-Greninja Information Revealed By Pokémon.Com

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Pokémon.com updated this morning with more information - and better pictures - of the information revealed in Japan on Saturday. Most of the information and names is the same as we already know, but there are a few changes in the translation to English - and a few clarifications for Zygarde's formes.

Firstly, Zygarde's "Core/Cell" forme is actually two formes: Cell Forme and Core Forme.

zygarde_cell_jpg_jpgcopy.jpg
The Cell Forme is unable to use any moves, and do not have any will or thought processes themselves. They are scattered throughout the Kalos region.[prebreak][/prebreak]

zygarde_core_jpg_jpgcopy.jpg
The Core Forme is a small part of Zygarde's brain, and can communicate with other Cores and Cells through telepathy. They've been known to act independently when they detect changes in their local ecosystem.

zygarde_10_percent_jpg_jpgcopy.jpg
Zygarde 10% is Zygarde's form when it gathers 10% of its cells in the same place. Capable of traveling over 60mph, it has razor-sharp fangs and moves at incredible speeds.

zygarde_50_percent_jpg_jpgcopy.jpg
Zygarde 50% is the Zygarde we know from XY/ORAS, and watches over the local ecosystem. It comprises 50% of Zygarde's total cells.

zygarde_complete_jpg_jpgcopy.jpg
Zygarde Complete Forme is Zygarde's most powerful forme, and only appears when all of its cells are gathered together. This forme is reserved for dire situations that the 50% forme would be unable to deal with alone. Its power is said to be greater than the powers of even Xerneas and Yveltal.

ash-greninja_-_amphinobi_de_sacha_-_ashs_quajutsu_jpg_jpgcopy.jpg
Finally, more information has been revealed on Ash's alternately-coloured Greninja. This form is known as Ash-Greninja, and it takes on this appearance when Ash and Greninja raised their bond to the limit. The strength of the bond makes Greninja take on the appearance of Ash's clothes. This phenomenon has said to have only occurred once before, hundreds of years ago in the Kalos region...

That's all for now - remember, you can click on the images to see high-res versions!

Last edited:
Cell forme and Core forme look so cute!! But, why the hell would Game Freak decide to make Zygrade's 10% forme look like a dog? It's stuff like that that urks me. However, I will say that its Complete forme somewhat reminds me of the Regis.

So I'm wondering if Zygarde can manipulate its own cells to further enhance its abilities, even though we have its Complete Forme. Though I swear his Complete Forme looks like something Power Rangers-esque and Gundam-esque that Gurren Lagaan combined with.

His 10% (personally I like Garde Dog more) forme has a bit of "What?" in it for me, because he shifts from individual cells to a dog to a dragon serpent to a mecha. I'm VERY curious on how this whole thing fits together, and if it'll make more sense in the longrun, because as of now I'm VERY confused on why he has such a drastic shift in formes.

All in all, though, if anything this has some amazing potential for storyline material and overall Kalos/Mega Evolution lore. I personally can't wait to see what's going to go down for our newest region!

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Hah, looks like my headcanon about Zygarde cells spread out all over the region and being the way the thing monitors the environment is all but confirmed now.

Still amused by Garde Dog and Zygundam, though. There's a theory going on that the three exoshell forms are inspired by the children of Loki (Fenrir for 10%, Jormugandr for 50% and Hel for 100%), but that could be a stretch tbh.

Also, I'm quite curious to see where they're going to go with this Ash Greninja, because it seriously sounds like what happened with the Eternal Flower Floette. Are we going to see AZ make an anime debut? Is X, Y and Z going to be less -eff!-ing terrible than Episode N was? We shall see.

@StellarWindElsydeon YES please make this better than the B2/W2 anime series.... or whatever it was supposed to be.
I also think it would be pretty awesome is AZ got some screen time, as well as Team Flare. I can't wait for Pokemon XY and Z!!

Mr.RMA

Magearna before it was cool
Ash manages to raise a bond with a Pokemon that is so great that it starts to look more like him, and one, it isn't the Pokemon he's had from the start and clearly has the closest bond to, and two, no one else has done this in centuries... You know, I'll bet that could be very fascinating, certainly, but, on the other hand, just chalk up another amazing sue-ish achievement to everyone's favorite immortal chosen-one-aura-messiah... Screw it, it's a hopeless cause, Ash will be Ash, such is the law of the series, no sense bitching about it, maybe it'll turn out alright... ugh

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
The difference is that Pikachu is instantly recognizable, the mascot of the series and something that is NEVER going to change in appearance or evolve (discounting the streamlining it got as the series' art style evolved of course).

So they settled for the next best thing: another Favoritism Pokemon. Greninja is as bad as Charizard in that sense really. XP

Mr.RMA

Magearna before it was cool
Ah, yes, marketing drives the plot. Can't really condemn it for that, that's probably what the series was created to do from the very start. Hell, not probably, that's definitely what its purpose has been and always will be.

Of course I can't exactly say that makes this damned favoritism business any easier to take. I'm water-type biased to a ridiculous degree, and even I'm getting rather sick of how Charizardized Greninja has become. That should be a thing now: Charizardism, when a Pokemon generally seen as badass by most of the community is thus exploited to high heaven for the sole purpose of fanservice. eg. Charizard, Lucario, Greninja

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
His 10% (personally I like Garde Dog more) forme has a bit of "What?" in it for me, because he shifts from individual cells to a dog to a dragon serpent to a mecha. I'm VERY curious on how this whole thing fits together, and if it'll make more sense in the longrun, because as of now I'm VERY confused on why he has such a drastic shift in formes.

After reading this latest text regarding the doggie form, the impression that I've gotten is that it doesn't necessarily travel alone when in its 10% form. Since they describe the doggie as occurring when 10% of the cells come together I can very easily picture several of the things acting together like a pack to hunt or investigate. The form of a dog is the perfect choice if such is actually the case considering the rep that dogs have for being very efficient pack animals. The fact that doggie form is also noted to be very fast gives me this impression, too.

While cells > doggie > serpent > gundam seems like a random chain (unless you're a Digimon), it kinda makes sense if you consider the role that each form is meant to preform. I like it. But even ignoring the actual designs of each form, I really like how they've expanded the lore of Zygarde in such an interesting way. I'm psyched to play the next Pokemon game now to see exactly how it's incorporated into the plotline. :)

As for the Ash-Greninja... That thing just looks brilliant. As Mary Sue as it is I love the thing design-wise and conceptually, and I'm sure that whatever event occurs in order for it to be realized will be corny/touching as heck and deeply awesome. ^__^

For the curious what the different forms (10, 50 and 100 anyway) are most likely based on norse mythology just like Xerneas (Dáinn, Dvalinn, Duneyrr and Duraþrór the stags that live at the base of the world tree) and Yveltal (Veðrfölnir the Eagle that lives atop the world tree).

10% is Garmr a mythical canine that is said to guard the gate of Hel. I mention Garmr over the popular Fenrir because Zydog is more dog-like then wolf-like and has that long tether like appendage reminiscent of the chain Garmr sports on his guard duty.

50% is of course Níðhöggr the Serpent. Lives underground as his inspiration does, among the roots of the world tree.

100% form could be based on Hel, Loki's daughter and goddess of the underworld in some respects. She was often described as a giantess split down the middle with 2 colors. Either red and blue or the more popular black and white that represented the living and the dead. Agreed that Zymecha isn't exactly an example of female forme but I would think the inspiration is there.

. . . why the hell would Game Freak decide to make Zygrade's 10% forme look like a dog? It's stuff like that that urks me . . .
Probably the same reason why they decided to have a fish evolve into an octopus :p

Anyway, right now I'm starting to think that Ash-Greninja isn't a mega evolution but completely new concept entirely. Since the description said that this "transformation" happens when "Ash and Greninja raised their bond to the limit," it could mean that this could imply some type of forme change or temporary evolution that relates to happiness &/or affection due to one of Gen VI's motif being strong bonds & relationships.

Right now, the only thing I can speculate is a pokémon equivalent to character customization, a new type of mega evolution that's based on high affection (like how the mechanic should've worked in the first place), or the pokémon equivalent to biomerging from Digimon Tamers

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Or it's simply a case of unique color-swapping a-la the Eternal Flower Floette, which is mostly likely exactly what it is.

In any case, a trailer was just released in Japan for the upcoming anime season...

And let me tell you, it looks SERIOUSLY PROMISING. Between Team Flare actually being active and actually sinister looking, Ash and Cardboard Cutout MCX Gijinka Gary Stu Alain finally crossing paths and a lot of Zygarde goodness, this got me psyched about the anime a lot more than anything else has.

(Now watch as nothing in the trailer appears in the actual series <<)

Probably the same reason why they decided to have a fish evolve into an octopus :p

Anyway, right now I'm starting to think that Ash-Greninja isn't a mega evolution but completely new concept entirely. Since the description said that this "transformation" happens when "Ash and Greninja raised their bond to the limit," it could mean that this could imply some type of forme change or temporary evolution that relates to happiness &/or affection due to one of Gen VI's motif being strong bonds & relationships.

Right now, the only thing I can speculate is a pokémon equivalent to character customization, a new type of mega evolution that's based on high affection (like how the mechanic should've worked in the first place), or the pokémon equivalent to biomerging from Digimon Tamers
I am 90% sure the greninash is anime only and hopefully the mechanic won't show up in game.

Biomerging in digimon was equally weird to me >_>

EDIT: That trailer looks pretty cool... reminds me how painfully I wish the elite four had their megas in game. They were way too under powered.

RafuRum

Formerly Raf-A-Rum
"Ash-Greninja Phenomenon occurred once a long time ago..." Thinking about it, AZ's Floette looks very different.. could that be an example of it?..

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Or it's simply a case of unique color-swapping a-la the Eternal Flower Floette, which is mostly likely exactly what it is.

This.

The wording of how such a thing has only occurred "once before" in the ancient past gives it away, too. As Stel said, Greninja's appearance change is very likely AZ's Floette all over again - because Ash is Ash.

Burgundy

Formerly SuperSableye24
Ahh this is so interesting! I wonder how they'll go about giving you access to these new forms. What I think would be cool is giving you the Zygarde Core early on-maybe by Professor Sycamore in place of the Kanto starters. Then, as you progress through the story, you could slowly gather Zygarde Cells to add to your Core, which could eventually lead to Garde Dog, Sssssssygarde, then finally ZyGundam at the climax. Or they could just be lame and give you Zygarde normally at the climax, then give form changing items. But they have a lot to work with, so I doubt they'd do that.
Edit: I also thought that they could give you a chance to get multiple Cores, and you could divide your Cell supply between them. This would that once you've gathered every cell in Kalos, you could have up to 10 Garde Dogs, or 2 Sssssygardes, or 1 ZyGundam. Or 5 Garde Dogs and 1 Ssssygarde. Maybe you'll get one Core initially, but then late/post game you could catch more. Where you would get them is a mystery though (Maybe Pokemon Village?)

Also Ash-Greninja is honestly super lame, imo. It's only happened "Once thousands of years ago" and it just so happens to happen to Ash as well? Obvious tie-in to AZ is lame :T

Last edited:
"Zygarde Complete Forme is Zygarde's most powerful forme, and only appears when all of its cells are gathered together. This forme is reserved for dire situations where the 50% forme would be unable to deal with alone."

For example, when a 10-year old trainer is trying to catch you inside a pokéball. :D

how i celebrate this: make my avatar zygarde 100% form

and i think that zygarde 10% form has low defense cause look at it! i mean that spells "low defense" all over it!

Last edited by a moderator:

RafuRum

Formerly Raf-A-Rum
This.

The wording of how such a thing has only occurred "once before" in the ancient past gives it away, too. As Stel said, Greninja's appearance change is very likely AZ's Floette all over again - because Ash is Ash.
yeah like how Ash is also the chosen one and the prince of the seas or stuff like that..

I would of liked Zygarde's 100% form better if it had a snake/serpent like bottom instead of regular legs, but it looks cool and unique nonetheless. Also, I am wondering why Game Freak decided to make 10% form a dog lol

The formes are... well, interesting. It's a cool concept, though doesn't that mean there could be two Zygardes at once...? Since the one we know is 50% so it could be possible to have the other 50% in another Zygarde? Whatever, I'm overthinking this.

Also, the colors on the wing-like things (arms?) on the 100% Zygard are the same color like Xerneas and Yveltal... maybe they have a part of those cells that Zygarde needs to complete his form? Maybe

Anyway

the ash-greninja thing... it just feels like they're trying to do something new with the show but it just doesn't feel like... well, Pokemon. I mean, Pokemon and human fusing together, doesn't it sound a bit odd, and completely not like something GameFreak would do, but rather like a fan game or something? I dunno, that's how I feel. It seems as if they're trying too hard.

Then, we have the previous Pokemon manga, Pokemon ReBurst I think? Yeah, it was similar to this idea, Pokemon and human fusing... I think, correct me if I'm wrong.

and it will take a lot of time for me to accept the fact that it is a thing.

Cell forme and Core forme look so cute!! But, why the hell would Game Freak decide to make Zygrade's 10% forme look like a dog? It's stuff like that that urks me. However, I will say that its Complete forme somewhat reminds me of the Regis.

There IS a reason for it you know.

I would of liked Zygarde's 100% form better if it had a snake/serpent like bottom instead of regular legs, but it looks cool and unique nonetheless. Also, I am wondering why Game Freak decided to make 10% form a dog lol
The dog is based on the guard dog in the myth the XYZ trio are based off of. Look it up. Nore mythology

Last edited by a moderator:

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
This has been stated at least three times in this thread alone, and it has not been confirmed in any way by official sources. it's a cute idea, but it may be dead wrong.

Ditto could be Buu.

I think it's cool and I like the whole Greninja taking on Ash's appearance. I remember in the anime dub someone said "Pokemon take the characteristics of their trainers" which to led to Ash saying Psyduck acts like Misty. But this is a little different. I'm also excited to see Team Flare appear as an entity.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
@Draco Gengar Yeah, just to confirm, there's absolutely no way this is Mega Greninja. It is most likely anime-specific, but in either case is related to the Eternal Flower Floette, which was...
... a uniquely-coloured Floette belonging to AZ in X and Y. It had gained this colouration due to having an extremely close bond with AZ. Unfortunately, it died in the Kalos war, and left him when it learned that the machine AZ created to revive it drew from the life of other Pokémon. They are reunited at the end of the game due to the player's actions.

It is explicitly stated that Ash's Greninja gains its alternate colouration in the same way. - in other words, it's a permanent change and not temporary. You also don't see it with the distinctive Mega mark above it.

Well, I'm just thinking outside of the box as usual. But if that's true, then is Greninja's bond with Ash greater than Pikachu's bond with Ash? Can this occur with all Pokémon or is it only for specific Pokémon like Mega-Evolution. and (just to be silly) Where can I get one! :p