• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Even More Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon Details Revealed

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Hot on the heels of last week's Nintendo Direct, we've today been treated to yet another drop of information about the upcoming Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon – and, finally, concrete confirmation of how much of an expansion over Pokémon Sun and Moon these games really are. Onwards, then, to the new trailer and a roundup of all the new information...

First up, the Alola Pokédex has been greatly expanded – it now contains over 400 Pokémon, including some new version exclusives such as Houndoom for Ultra Sun and Manetric for Ultra Moon. Some of the new additions include Mareep, Zorua, Tropius, Volcarona, and Larvitar.

Story_Art.jpg

Next, the Island Challenge returns from Pokémon Sun and Moon, with updated challenges and a brand new trial, featuring the painter Captain Mina and bringing the total up to a nice round eight. Reading between the lines, it seems a lot like the trials have been heavily tweaked and, in some cases, vastly expanded over their Sun and Moon counterparts.

The building sites dotted around Alolan cities in Sun and Moon have been filled, too – they now contain the Alola Photo Club buildings, which allow the player to pose and take photographs of their trainer and Pokémon in various poses and outfits. You can also add backgrounds, stickers, and frames to the photos to jazz them up, then send them to your friends via the 3DS's communication features. Taking photos with your Pokémon helps boost their Affection too, so it's well worth doing!

There's also a new way of navigating between the Alolan islands, which also doubles as a neat minigame: Mantine Surf. When playing the minigame, you can surf large waves and do tricks to try and earn a high score.

necrozma-toys-300x220.png

Lastly, as a very small aside, the box for two new Necrozma figures have revealed that the two new Necrozma formes keep the typings from the Solgaleo or Lunala they absorb – [type]Psychic[/type]/[type]Steel[/type] and [type]Psychic[/type]/[type]Ghost[/type], respectively.

That's it for now, but stick with Pokécharms as we head towards the final stretch before Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon are released worldwide on November 17th.

Last edited:

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
While we knew the Pokédex had been expanded, 400 Pokémon in a single regional Pokédex is an impressive feat – this will be the largest regional Pokédex yet seen in a game.

Kalos with 457 Pokemon says hello. ;)

But holy hell this is quite the update! I'm really looking forward to seeing what other Pokemon are introduced to Alola and if that'll include new Alola forms.

Lillie being in her "Z-form" outfit from the start and holding a Pokeball in that poster has me guessing that she'll actually be a Trainer from the start this time around. She'll probably get the starter super-effective to ours while Hau still gets the one weak to ours. I really like the idea of changing the trials both to show the Captain's versatility and to give us something new to do instead of redoing the same puzzles. I had a feeling we'd get something from Mina this time around.

The photo club looks like tons of fun. I like how you can now take pictures of your own Pokemon like you could of Wild ones with Poke Finder. Plus it'll be a lot more enjoyable than petting them for half an hour. And it's about time we got a Surfing mini-game. Alola is based on Hawaii after all which is where surfing originated so it only makes sense. Being able to Surf from island to island now is amazing!

With such a huge update in the US/UM pokédex, I'm still hoping we'll see new Alolan forms for this game (especially for Johto pokémon).

I still think there's hope since the trailer only showed Gen II pokémon that already have mega evolutions :p

I just hope the 3/2 ds can support the high detail shown in the trailers. It may, but including the pokemon walking with you, I believe its going to be a decent stretch.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I just hope the 3/2 ds can support the high detail shown in the trailers. It may, but including the pokemon walking with you, I believe its going to be a decent stretch.
The latest trailer looks like real 3DS footage, although I know there was some speculation that the initial reveal trailer was rendered at a higher resolution, for whatever reason. (A cancelled Switch version, maybe?)

Of course, there's no confirmation the original trailer was anything except video recorded from a real 3DS, so probably best not to get too excited (or dismayed).

I mean I'm most curious about the people at the top, I mean it could be Team Aether but I don't recognise any of them. (e.g Faba, Lusamine, Wicke) And I'm still confused if this is a sequel or an alternate story telling, loads is different but Cosmog is there? Well I hope there's a new evil team as I can't bare another scoop of family problems...especially as most people don't even get the story from the first game and why Lusamine was so insane.

Hopefully it can for all the 3DS/2DS peeps out there, but I'm concerned about the lag... I mean double battles in Sun and Moon had me lagging so that's a bit worrying.

Also can we just talk about how cute Inkay and Rowlet look in the pictures, I can't wait to try it out for myself! I guess this club will be located in the blank spot in Hau'oli.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I'm still confused if this is a sequel or an alternate story telling
It's been confirmed already that this is a (their words) "alternative version" of the story, not a sequel. It's likely that we'll see some story differences beyond merely ramming Necrozma into the endgame, but the general gist of the story is likely to be almost exactly the same – we've definitely not seen the last of Team Skull or the Aether Foundation.

In essence, a good way to approach these games is to ask "what if you took Sun and Moon and gave them a year's more development time?" The answer will be these games, because that's exactly what's happened – they're expanded/finished/better (choose your favourite word) versions of Sun and Moon, rather than anything truly different. If you've played Crystal, Emerald, or Platinum after playing their respective paired games, you'll get the gist of what's coming.

It's been confirmed already that this is a (their words) "alternative version" of the story, not a sequel. It's likely that we'll see some story differences beyond merely ramming Necrozma into the endgame, but the general gist of the story is likely to be almost exactly the same – we've definitely not seen the last of Team Skull or the Aether Foundation.

In essence, a good way to approach these games is to ask "what if you took Sun and Moon and gave them a year's more development time?" The answer will be these games, because that's exactly what's happened – they're expanded/finished/better (choose your favourite word) versions of Sun and Moon, rather than anything truly different. If you've played Crystal, Emerald, or Platinum after playing their respective paired games, you'll get the gist of what's coming.
Oh thank you, Sun and Moon did kind of seem like a rushed game, some things just didn't seem right (or was it that your avatar smiling when a giant lurantis is behind is normal xD) anyways thank you for the response, really appreciate it ^^

I feel like it was rushed too, but adding 3 or more places and adding 200 more NOT new Pokemon, adding 5 more mechanics, and done? I had high hopes ultra for sun and ultra moon, but I now want my sinnoh remakes

the poster but it looks to much like an 80's Star Wars poster

I feel like it was rushed too, but adding 3 or more places and adding 200 more NOT new Pokemon, adding 5 more mechanics, and done? I had high hopes ultra for sun and ultra moon, but I now want my sinnoh remakes

the poster but it looks to much like an 80's Star Wars poster
Omg yes, Sinnoh remake all the way. I also thought it would've been more like Black 2 and White 2. Great sequels to the first 2. But for some reason I'm not impressed even tho I've liked games like Platinum which were basically a different storyline. I think they need to add some new pokes, some more Alolan Forms and atlas change the storyline enough to make it seem like the same story but different enough to not feel like playing Sun/Moon again.

I was expecting johto pokemon to get alolass, because of the virtual console transfer for the 2 and 3 DS families. But so far we have a jelly bean nihilego, a trumps wall, and a midday form lycranroc with sunburnt spikes

I really think Guzma should stay being the leader for team skull. His attitude fits perfectly with the teams style, like how I think Colress was better then Ghetsis Because Colress fitted team plasma better

Instead of ultra sun and ultra moon boxarts fusing with necrozma, I was thinking about a Solar Forme For Solgaleo, with his mane catching on fire and being more cool, being the Fire and Steel type. In contrast, lunala could have the cosmic forme, being dark ghost

Last edited by a moderator: