• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Favorite Webcomic

(Thanks for the permission to do this thread! Hope you all enjoy it.)

After much consideration, I wanted to start a sort of Webcomic Discussion thread where we could share our favorite webcomics. As I read quite a few of them (over 50 of them, most of which at least update once a week, some that are even daily!) on my daily web browsing, I thought I would share a few of my favorites. I will add a couple every few days (hopefully!) with a short summary of what the comic is about. Tell me if you have heard of these before, or any of your favorite webcomics too! I will try and tag a rating at the end of each one (if the authors give one and what I would rate it) and an update schedule that they use. (Su - Sunday, M - Monday, T - Tuesday, W- Wednesday, R - Thursday, F - Friday, Sa - Saturday)

First up is 2 comics by Studio Foglio.

Girl Genius is a wonderful little sci-fi type comic that is quite wittily summarized with their phrase of Adventure, Romance, MAD SCIENCE! Set in a self styled "gaslamp" fantasy setting where geniuses are named 'Sparks' and tend to go off the deep end and cause lots of trouble, it follows the career of Agatha Heterodyne - hapless student at Transylvania Polygnostic University who discovers that she has more going for her than she thought. It is a wonderfully entertaining read and starts off as a black and white comic, but gets a coloring about chapter 5 or so. There is PLENTY of story already written, and can take you several days to get caught up with the current story line, but is well worth the read. Given a rating of Teen by the authors themselves (due to some violence, Victorian underwear, and the very occasional swear word), though I would give something like a PG rating myself. Updated M W F

Buck Godot is a futuristic title following the adventures of Buck Godot - Zap Gun for Hire. The misadventures of the Hoffmanite (apparently someone from the planet Hoffman which has a much higher gravity than Earth) as he just tries to get by without getting caught by the Law. Full color all the way through, wonderful 80s style comic drawing, and a fun romp through a futuristic setting. I give it a rating of PG for cartoonish violence at times. Updated T R Sa

And last but not least for today is:

The Dreamland Chronicles follows the adventures of a man named Alex Carter. As a boy, Alex went on adventures every time he went to sleep! Magically transported to Dreamland when he fell asleep each night he made friends with Kiwi (a cute little fairy), Paddington Rockbottom the Third (a rock giant child), Nastajia Ashenheart (the princess of the Elves). Eventually he stopped making the journey every night and soon forgot about his childhood adventures. As a young man in college, he discovers an old necklace that he had as a child, and when he puts it on one day before he went to bed, is transported back to Dreamland. Finding his childhood friends all grown up, he finds out that there is an epic adventure awaiting him! Now if only he could find out how to stay asleep longer. Rated G by the author and I agree. Updated M T W R F

Discuss! Enjoy! Comment! I hope to have a few more for your perusal later this week.

Well, so far my favorite webcomics are Grim Tales from Down Below, PowerPuff Girls Doujinshi, and Sugar Bits. They are all done by Deviant Art's own BleedMan

All excellent webcomics, and I was going to put up a little review of them too! I might also suggest EverAfter which is located on the same site. Snafu Comics All of these are excellent in their own right, and I was wholeheartedly surprised by Sugar Bits.

Two others I will recommend this week are some of the earliest sprite comics around, and most likely some of the more famous. Brian Clevinger's 8-bit Theater is a retelling of the original Final Fantasy game where the Light Warriors are complete screw ups. It follows their misadventures and mishaps while roughly following the original story plot.

There is also Bob and George which funnily enough was supposed to be a hand drawn comic that sort of turned into a sprite comic. It centers around 2 super powered brothers who got pulled from their universe to the Megaman universe. The comic is done with and there is a whole slew to read with the archives. Lots of hilarity and time travel happen, along with arguing with the "Author".

There is also Bob and George which funnily enough was supposed to be a hand drawn comic that sort of turned into a sprite comic. It centers around 2 super powered brothers who got pulled from their universe to the Megaman universe. The comic is done with and there is a whole slew to read with the archives. Lots of hilarity and time travel happen, along with arguing with the "Author".

It's a real shame that it ended in 2001, that was a very interesting web-comic series. The animated shorts of Freakadave were also hilarious, I'm not sure where they are in the archives though.

8-bit Theater has been a favorite of mine for years as well.

But of course we have to go to one of the most popular webcomics of today: VG Cats

Created by the Canadian, Scott Ramsoomair, this ridiculous web-comic parodies all the video games we know and love (and as an added treat for us PokeFans, he recently started a completely Pokemon related comic series "Super Effective")
Many of his comics focus around his 2 kitty characters, Leo and Aeris. However, a large amount of the comics use regular video game characters as cats, or just as themselves. Each comic ensues hilarity. =)
Everyone who hasn't checked it out yet, should get over there now.

Actually, Bob and George just ended last year and started going into reruns. VG Cats indeed is hilarity in viewing, it is a shame that he doesn't really keep up with his own update schedule, but he usually has interesting blurbs on recent video games that just came out or just random coolness in general.

I quite like the adventures of drmcninja, although i haven't been on there in ages

otherwise you can't go wrong with toothpaste for dinner, or cyanide and happiness ^_^

My favorite webcomic? I would have to say it's between Shifters, The Wotch, and El Goonish Shive. I do find Wally and Osborne a safe, family-friendly one.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I haven't been keeping up with most of my webcomics for the past... year or two, but of the ones I did follow... XD

There is also Bob and George which funnily enough was supposed to be a hand drawn comic that sort of turned into a sprite comic...

Big one right there. I blame a handful of Charms' staff members for getting me into that one, and yes, it was frelling awesome while it lasted. Never did finish reading it straight through to the end, but definitely recommended to anyone who enjoys sprite comics.

Another I followed was The Wotch, a hand drawn and colored web comic that's still actively updating (should be a nice read once I finally get back into it). Mostly a humorous story about a group of teenagers living in the typical real-world/fantasy-world setting, but I rather enjoyed the characters, concepts, puns, plots, etc. Not sure if it's the best web comic out there of this genre, but it was fun reading.

Then there was Pokemon-X, which I ran into one day when searching for decent Pokemon web comics. This one is probably not the best for younger viewers considering the PG 13+ language usage/humor, but I enjoyed it enough while I read it XD (it's basically a parody of the in-game Hoenn saga). I appreciate some of the jokes/gags in that thing and how the creator did the battle sequences (spiced them up with his own touches). Still seems to be actively updating, too, which is nice.

And that's more or less it.

But oh! Forgot the most import comic... XD

The Insane Asylum. Because TBA/Digimon-Boy/Hypotenuse Man rocks and has a great sense of humor. All must read from beginning to latest addition =)

I have read popkemon x itis a great comic but it gets really slow, because it takes forever for a battle and such. but my personal is pokemon contest challenge because it talks about a girl named may who travels with a boy around kanto to do contests. not too many pokemon comics have contests but this comic uses photoshop for the comic. and they travel and there is a big evil organization. you guys should all read it it is interesting.

Then there was Pokemon-X, which I ran into one day when searching for decent Pokemon web comics. This one is probably not the best for younger viewers considering the PG 13+ language usage/humor, but I enjoyed it enough while I read it XD (it's basically a parody of the in-game Hoenn saga). I appreciate some of the jokes/gags in that thing and how the creator did the battle sequences (spiced them up with his own touches). Still seems to be actively updating, too, which is nice.

You got me hooked on that. I'm around the 4 or 300th page right now and I don't know how to get back. T.T

Other than that, the Insane Asylum and Pokemon XS.

Hmm... oh yeah, I was going to keep this going, guess I am kind of lazy...

Time to show my true nerdiness with D&D

Order of the Stick by Richard Burlew. If you have ever played Dungeons and Dragons then you must read this. A funny look at how the rules affect in-game things. The characters are priceless and you should enjoy it even if you don't get all the references. Updates randomly 3 times a week I believe. Fun for all ages.

Goblins by Thunt. Shows life from the other side of the Adventuring party. Goblins take up adventuring classes and show the world what they can do! Mild to moderate violence, so maybe ages 12+? Updates anywhere from once a week to once a month. Well worth the read!

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Dominic Deegan: Oracle for hire.
For those who like fantasy-type comics. Has more pun in one location than I've ever see before, and like a lot of webcomics, the artwork gets better as it goes.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Dominic Deegan and VGCats aside, there are two webcomics that hit the favorite spot long before I ran into those.

The first of the two being ADVENTURERS!, or ADV! for short - a webcomic which makes fun of just about every single jRPG cliché out there. The art style starts off rather bad, but later becomes much better.

The other one is an occasionally-animated 100% original Sprite Comic by the name of Kid Radd. Like ADV, KR abuses random game clichés, but does so with its own plotline and random sprinklings of Fourth Wall Breakage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm...I should put my favorite...
http://lfgcomic.com/
It makes fun fantasy books and stuff, like World of Warcraft, D&D, and mostly Sword of Truth (the beginning plot is to get "The Really Angry Sword"). It basically starts when a young elf who wants to do good in the world meets a seriously evil undead warlock, and chaos ensues from there. Good art, good story, good references to random things us geeks like, Looking for Group helped me get through the weeks of school. It's updated every Monday/Thursday, go read it or Richard will kill you.​

my favorite web comics would be Dominic Deegan, i find the story line good as well as the jokes, pokemon x just because it never fails to make me laugh. Mutant Ninja Turtles Gaiden (link: http://www.obscurezodiac.com/mntgprologue.php ), this comic is set in a alternative timeline where an advent happen when the turtles are teenagers which makes them all part ways, then the story picks up while there in the 30's. the artwork is very good in this comic (may explain why updates take a while) and i have just started reading order of the stick i find that quite funny.

Wow... I really do procrastinate a lot...

Anywho, here are a bunch more to consider! Today I give you some superhero comics!

PS238 Secret government elementary school for children with superpowers. Think of the movie Sky High but set in about Third or Fourth grade. Main character is the son of two famous superheroes but has yet to manifest any powers. All about his experiences with a class full of superpowered beings. Awesome read, PG rating, updated M W F

Magellan Set in a world where superheros and villains exist, training of said people has become necessary to prevent total rejection of careless superheroes. He has an awesome primer of the world setting here. Overall, it is about a young cadet with no real superpowers enrolling in the Force Magellan school. Sort of like an evolved high school/college type experience except totally for learning about everything that goes with being a superhero. Updates either M W F or T R depending on the storyline.

Mindmistress Essentially set in our world, the story of a mentally handicapped young woman who obtains a locket from her dead mother that turns her super smart. An intriguing and incredibly smart read. Explores lots about science and the possibilities that theoretical science is pondering. Updated M W F