• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Favourite Non-Creature Based Pokémon?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, I know, bit silly that I keep complaining about all the millions of "Favorite Category Pokémon" threads that pop up like mushrooms after rain and then I spawn one. But the notion suddenly occurred to me... so, hey, whatever.

Pokémon come in many shapes and sizes. Many of them are based on animals or mythical creatures of various sorts... and then, you have those things - species based on inanimate objects, relics and just plain what. You know, the sort of Pokémon that obnoxious genwunner pissbabies usually choose to pick on to lament how "teh nintendoes is running out of teh ideas!!1!!(one)!!1" in spite of how they have always been around (and Gen 1's specific instances of such weren't the most creative either). Basically, Artifact Creatures - which are your favorites of the bunch, and why?

Here's a few of mine:

Drifloon and Drifblim
Okay, so those kind of skirt the Artifact-Creature line to me but they are based on inanimate objects so. I like their type combination, I thought they were a neat idea when they were first revealed, I appreciate their design evoking both cute and creepy elements - and yeah, the concept of them as floating gasbag organisms traveling in flocks on the wind appeals to the speculative biology nerd in me. Plus, they're adorable.

Sigilyph
I've already gone on about Sigilyph in other threads, so no point really repeating it. Onward.

Litwick, Lampent and Chandelure
The Litwick line has much in common with the Drifloon line. They're adorable object-based ghosts with a cool type combination that evolve into something incredibly nifty. The amount of shit Chandelure can wreck if used right it also downright amazing.

Honedge, Doublade and Aegislash
Sentient goddamn floating swords. What's not to like? Okay, so Doublade is very tenuously there because It's a Generation 1 level of lazy design, but Aegislash more than makes up for it with its unique mode of attack/defense stance change and its sheer diversity. Plus I kind of love the idea of these sword-creatures being capable of forming a link with their trainers and instead of feeding on their life energy, sort of augmenting it instead, fighting with their trainers - but that's just me and my weird head canons. Point of the matter is, I like bladey things and I like the Honedge line. XD

Klefki
This may come as a surprise to some of you - but I don't care. Klefki is an awesome concept lore-ways with an adorable execution and it's one of the single-most annoying things to battle against when used right. Its dimensional traveling and spatial distortion abilities certainly add interest to it too.

An honorable mention goes to three species that I personally don't quite count as artifact creatures but some people might: Magnemite, Magnezone and Golurk. Magnemite's adorbs, Magnezone saved the entire Magnemite line from obscurity as a side-electric to me, and Golurk is a freaking Gundam Golem and that's all there is to say about that. For those of you wondering where Rotom is in this list - I don't count Rotom as an artifact-creature as it's a plasma-wisp that only possesses existing electrical appliances rather than being based on one.

My favorites would have to be Sigilyph and Cofagrigus. The reason why is too simple: I just love things that are awesomely designed and based on things from ancient civilizations. :D

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Chandelure is one of my absolute favorite Pokemon, and probably favorite fire type overall. I can't not love the thing, and I can't really explain why outside of it just looks cool.

I also really, REALLY love Magnezone. Maybe it's just that the design grew on me after I used it competitively, but I really like its typing and it's just a fun Pokemon to use in general.

Honorable mentions are Unown (CUTE FLOATING LETTERS), Deoxys (I mean, a virus isn't really a creature in a technical sense?), Reuniclus (is a cell a creature? I dunno), Vanillite (it's just too adorable omg), Aegislash (badass fucking possessed blade, what's not to love), Klefki (FAIRY OF DOOM), and Avalugg (coffee table of bulk).

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Avalugg is very much a creature, though (and I wouldn't count Reuniclus and Deoxys, either).

Magnezone is hella awesome, though. I just can't seem to think of it as an artifact-creature myself. XD

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Has to be Aegislash for me just for how powerful and useful he is in battles, plus his design looks awesome.

Weezing would come second for the same reasons as Aegislash, although his design looks less "awesome" and more "dangerous." He looks like a toxic gas-belching fusion of naval mines.

Rinoa Heartilly

Mother of Meltans
The first eight off the top of my head are these cuties.
...I have no idea if eggs and pumpkins count but hey~!

599MS.png
600MS.png
601MS.png
710MS.png

425MS.png
426MS.png
175MS.png
468MS.png

Chandelure
The first time I saw this thing the first words that came out of my mouth was " What does that evolve from and where can I get it" I love everything about this pokemon, the elegant design, the typing, everything.

I think the only two I really like are Chandelure and Aegislash to be honest. Their designs are aesthetically pleasing and they can be deadly in battle. While I don't hate any of the Pokemon in the series, there are many whose design I will forever question...Lickylicky being the top "Why".

Stel mentioned several of my favorites, so there's only Vanillite and its evolutions left to add. Want ice cream cone? Both say yes.

Chandelure- (insert song reference here) But seriously, such a great Pokémon with unique typing and awesome Special Attack.
Vanilite- Not great, but after using one it's pretty decent. Plus it's vanilla ice cream..........YUMMY!
Castform- Idk if this counts, but I assume it's not a creature like Pokémon. Anyways, people really seem to underestimate this thing. I'm using one right now in OR and it's really good. Cool concept as well.

The ice cream Pokemon (Forgot the name) and its evolutionary line. I found those designs very stupid but eh can't argue after I saw Klefkey in Gen 6

My favorite (that hasn't been mentioned recently) would have to be Rotom. It's different forms make it interesting, and it is often seen in many top tier Pokemon battles. I think is one of the more unique designs on Nintendo's part.
rotom-mechanical.jpg

52Crossroads

Formerly Gya
Lampent is my favorite pokemon overall. though, i dont think it entirely fits in this. their line is based on Will of the Wisp. a ghost light that lures people to their death. which is sometimes referred to as a 'ghost candle'. so its kind of a mythical creature, but its also a lamp. a totally adorable lamp.

I still remember I used to say to myself "I hate Pokemon based on inanimate Objects. No amount of convincing will ever make me like them" I was wrong. After giving a few a chance, I learned to like them.
Some include Aromatisse, Slurpuff, Klefki - it was in a Fairy team where I used them, and was in that same team where I learned to also love Fairy types
Going to give Chandelure a chance so I hope to like it as well.

Golurk. This might be the tallest non legendary Pokemon. And plus, it can fly. Who doesn't love flying Pokemon? Except for Zubat. Cofagrigus as well, because having a tombstone with a face, and the mask of its pre-evolution. I also like Aegislash, since it can change forms or stances.

Wouldn't the tallest non-legendary Pokemon be Wailord?

Anyway, my favorite non-creature is Porygon. I know Porygon's like the exact opposite of an artifact, but I've loved it ever since seeing it in Gen I. Its animations and mannerisms in Stadium only helped solidify that. I'm kind of meh on Porygon2, and I just feel sorry for Porygon-Z - I mean, the poor thing got a buggy update! That really sucks! - but Porygon is just awesome. Plus, there isn't really any good reason for a computer program to learn all kinds of psychic attacks, but Porygon does anyway.

Wouldn't the tallest non-legendary Pokemon be Wailord?

Anyway, my favorite non-creature is Porygon. I know Porygon's like the exact opposite of an artifact, but I've loved it ever since seeing it in Gen I. Its animations and mannerisms in Stadium only helped solidify that. I'm kind of meh on Porygon2, and I just feel sorry for Porygon-Z - I mean, the poor thing got a buggy update! That really sucks! - but Porygon is just awesome. Plus, there isn't really any good reason for a computer program to learn all kinds of psychic attacks, but Porygon does anyway.
He's banned from the anime. And so is Porygon Z and 2. Thanks a lot, Pikachu. You gave everybody seizures.
r84CoS.gif
I feel bad for Porygon's evolutions too.