• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Final Starter Evolutions, Battle Tower, Island Guardians, and More Revealed!

Red is still quiet huh while blue is as lively as ever and Team popplio for the win for me at least and i wonder could it pointing towards lunala a bit and not to be a hassel bit what are your dream teams?
For me its
Primarina
Silvally (Fire type)
Alola Raichu (Surfing pikachu)
Alola Muk (im going to look for a shiny one tho afterwards maybe)
Kommo-o (i hope it learns outrage)
Im saving this spot for a mega i dont which one yet

Ok, here are my thoughts on this trailer in general:

1. HOLY CRAP!! I did not expect Decidueye to become a Grass & Ghost type, though now that I look at it it makes perfect sense!

2. While I love the idea of how they're setting up the Alola League for Sun & Moon, I'm confused since I heard from the rumors that we would be the ones to set up the league for the games. However, this description makes it sound like the league will be finished either just before or right after finishing the main game and then it'll be just like it has been for the last 6 generations

3. Seeing Red & Blue, especially now that they're all grown up, is definitely the biggest surprise out of this entire trailer & I'm still practically speechless! If I had to guess their age, they're probably in their mid-late 20s due to this being Pokémon's 20th anniversary

4. I'm now really interested to see what kind of role Cosmog plays in the game. If I had to guess, it either has a branched evolution that eventually allows it to evolve into either Solgaleo & Lunala depending on which version you're playing, or it has a similar breeding connection to the legendary mascots that Manaphy has with Phione

Hey but im wondering if you get cosmog in moon or sun how about the other one that surprising resemble the sun mascot

My one complaint is that the names are pretty generic given how strong their visual design is. Deciduous + Eye, okay, Incinerate + Roar, ehhh could be any Fire-type big cat or a signature move for Pyroar, Primadonna + Ballerina, really generic and no reference to water.

Even the name "Decidueye" I can't even decide how to pronounce, I've tried a few variations and there's no way of saying that word without it just sounding weird.

It's a weird construction for sure, but Deh-sid-ju-ai sounds okay in my western Canadian accent. TBH it's the pokemon names with glottal stops (e.g. Ho-oh and Jangmo-o) that are weirder.

Fairy I expected. Dark I expected. But ghost? Really? I can't see it at all. Honestly I was really hoping those leaks weren't true, mainly due to only liking Primarina's design. Conceptually a Robin Hood-esque soul stealing owl is awesome, but I think they messed up the execution.

Anyway, oh my god Tapu Lele and Cosmog are freaking adorable. They've both got me pretty curious as to the part that they'll play in the story, especially since we don't know if there is an equivalent for Solgaleo. Half thinking it might be somewhat similar thing to Zygarde, but we'll see.

I really like the idea of the League being built, and it would be awesome if you're involved in its development somehow. Having all these old returning trainers come back too is also pretty cool, if just to see their new designs, although Red does look a little off, but whatever. Still nice to see them around.

So... my thoughts...
Final Evos: AWESOMAZING!!! But I'm not naming my Litten Tyga anymore. Tyga was a girl. RIP. ;_;
Tapu Lele: <.> That's all you can say? The battlefield got WEIRD?
Tapu Bulu: Pretty cool. Not much to say. :up:
Tapu Fini: NARWHALS, NARWHALS SWIMMING IN THE OCEAN!!! XD
Guardian of Alola Z-Move: :-O I WANT!!! DESTROY!!!
Cosmog: That's a cool design! :) Its Kawaii!
Alolan Persian: Mneh. The face is so squashed in though! XD
Battle Tree: Mneh. It's basically Mt. Silver.
Red and Blue: Red, STILL WITH THE DOT DOT DOTS?!? And Blue, smug as ever. 8) I literally fangirled at this coming out. But isn't Blue a Gym Leader, and Red's a Champion?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
My one complaint is that the names are pretty generic given how strong their visual design is. Deciduous + Eye, okay, Incinerate + Roar, ehhh could be any Fire-type big cat or a signature move for Pyroar, Primadonna + Ballerina, really generic and no reference to water.

It's a weird construction for sure, but Deh-sid-ju-ai sounds okay in my western Canadian accent. TBH it's the pokemon names with glottal stops (e.g. Ho-oh and Jangmo-o) that are weirder.

Except it also has Marina in it.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
I am bouncing off the walls with hype right now. Having now seen the three starter evolutions in-game I can honestly say I am in love with all of them. They are all pretty awesome in their own rights. That said, I'm still choosing Popplio because I still like it best. The funny thing is I was considering naming her Marina if female and now with Primarina tat name is guaranteed if I get a female. If male... Gerald. Named after the sea lion from Finding Dory.

The Tapus win at life. All four are really cool and I could not stop laughing at that Z-move. The only thing I don't like about the Z-Move is that it reduces the opponent's HP by 75% instead of being a (seemingly) OHKO like other Z-Moves. The typings of the Tapus also came as a surprise to me since I was expecting them to match the types of the different Oricorios or else be Grass, Fire, Water, Electric. In both cases I was expecting a Fire-type yet that one is missing. Oh well, not all theories can be correct.

I cannot take Alolan Persian seriously. Cosmog though! ♥ It's adorable and I love how your character shields it in the Japanese trailer. It's coloration and the flavor text all but confirm it has a connection to Lunala but I'm curious to know what that is and why they also didn't show off a similar analogue to Solgaleo. Maybe Cosmog has a connection to both? Also the Aether Foundation seems to have their hands in this pie as well. Sneaky bastards they are. I don't trust them.

Oh look Cynthia! Why am I not surprised she would make an appearance. Wally mah boi! He's back! *Squee!* I love that kid. That theme... no... it can't be! It's a remix of Blue's encounter theme! Red and Blue have returned and are much older! It all comes together! I can hardly wait these last three weeks!

If you need me, I'll be bouncing off the walls some more! ^_^

I'm so glad that these guys ended up being real, beacuse I personally think their designs are brilliant.
I adore Primarina and Incineroar (my two new favourite Alola mons for sure), and since I can't chose my favourite between them, I'm going have both a Popplio and a Litten on my team, with some help from my sister.
I've loved Primarina ever since the first art leaks. I just find her design really pretty, and I love the colours on her has well. Water/Fairy is an awesome typing, and I'm glad she didn't end up being Water/Psychic or pure Water.
Also I think her in-game animations are so cute!

Moving on to Incineroar, who I was a bit iffy on when I first saw him in the leaks. Well, since then he has grown on me a massive amount, mostly due to his personality. In fact he is probably my new favourite Fire-Type starter evolution behind Blaziken (because nothing can top my blazing Manchicken), kicking Typhlosion down to third place. Like Primarina, I think Incineroar has a top-tier design, and -unpopular opinion incoming- I'm glad that GF made him bipedal, because something tells me that if GF made him a Quadruped, we would have ended up with a bland looking tiger similar to the Fakemon Litten evolutions.
So yeah, I love both of them so much and I honestly couldn't chose a favourite between them. I think Primarinas design is slightly better than Incineroars, but, gah! I don't know! I just love em' both.
I love Decideueyes design as well, and the Ghost typing they decided to give it is freaking awesome! I knew it didn't really look like a Grass/Flying type. The only criticism I have about Decideueye is its name. I would have preferred something like the fan name 'Robinhoot', but I guess this name will grown on me eventually.

Tapu Lele is my favourite Tapu, with Tapu Fini a close second. It is just so freaking cute! I'm not a big fan of Tapu Bulu though. It's probably my least favourite Tapu.
Cosmog is cute, but that's all I have to say about it really. It doesn't do much for me.

All the other stuff shown was cool, so this was a good trailer overall.

Whoo, where to start?

First off, this is the first generation where I'm a huge fan of all the starters. I'm switching my allegiance to Popplio as I love Primarina's fairy typing. That said, Incineroar is absolutely my favorite design and is my favorite final fire ego of all. Heel Pokemon? Fire Dark? Darkest Lariat? Yes please. We better get a scene in the anime of Incineroar clotheslining a Pokemon like Paul's Ursaring did to to Ash's Buizel. Also Decidueye has a really cool name to go with its nice design.

Love Red and Blue all grown up. Sure it's pandering to the base, but it's a good pandering.

To go with the above, I really like that the guardians are all part fairy. This game is making me want to run a mono-fairy team honestly. No HM slaves to hold me back from doing it either.

Probably too late to joke about this, and everyone has probably heard it a million times now...

But Alolan Persians looks like the type to hate mondays.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
We've known these guys were the real deal for a while now, and the speculation about their types was well and truly established... but the owl managed to surprise me with its random type change. Surprised I may be, but not displeased - because Grass/Ghost is an amazing combination and I don't even care. Basically, Decidueye, in spite of having a rather awkward name, is one of my favorite grass starters ever. I mean frell's sake, plant owl with interesting organic weaponry and while I really can't say I understand why it has drawn-on abs... It's still entirely my favorite design of this particular batch.

Which is more than I can say about Luchalitten and its Yaoi Hands or Draco Malfoy, the Amazing Mermaid Ferret. Okay, I know, it's supposed to be a sea lion/seal. But something about the slender body and pointed face just screams ermine to me. Mermine, I guess.

The Tapus' Z-move is p. great in a "summon the headless nightwalker from Princess Mononoke but Yellow and pilot it around for a while" sort of way, and I'm quite amused by how nicely Red and Green grew up (and that Red STILL says nothing but dots!) This game just keeps getting more and more hype. Mercy's sakes alive, I need a 3DS. <<

We've known these guys were the real deal for a while now, and the speculation about their types was well and truly established... but the owl managed to surprise me with its random type change. Surprised I may be, but not displeased - because Grass/Ghost is an amazing combination and I don't even care. Basically, Decidueye, in spite of having a rather awkward name, is one of my favorite grass starters ever. I mean frell's sake, plant owl with interesting organic weaponry and while I really can't say I understand why it has drawn-on abs... It's still entirely my favorite design of this particular batch.

While Decidueye is my favorite of the starters too, is it really a good type combination? The only two Grass & Ghost types I know of are Trevenant & Gourgeist, and they're both on the lower competitive battling tiers

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
While Decidueye is my favorite of the starters too, is it really a good type combination? The only two Grass & Ghost types I know of are Trevenant & Gourgeist, and they're both on the lower competitive battling tiers
Grass/Ghost is cool as fuck, and the other Pokemon who share it are just as cool as Decidueye (I love Trevenant and Gourgeist has definitely grown on me). Plus, just... grass/ghost. A ghosty plant.

Also I'm pretty sure I've used Trevenant competitively before and let me tell you, Will-o-Wisp, Horn Leech, and the Harvest ability make Trev pretty decent at staying alive and annoying the other player. Definitely not top rank but also not something to be overlooked, imo.

(Competitive players also tend to just use the same 6-10 Pokemon in their teams, but this does not make certain Pokemon less viable competitively, especially if you know what you're doing)

Hmm, my poor eyes have seen too much. Regarding the unmentionable leaks that is, they took the Internet by storm and my poor curious mind couldn't help but be drawn to them- it's a shame I didn't feel the rush of excitement that I should have when I watched this trailer. It's a shame.

Besides that, I am pleasently surprised. My initial reaction to Incineroar was very negative, to the point where I began to resent Litten, but seeing it in action has eased the blow a bit; it does look extremely fun to battle alongside. Unfortunately, I still think that I'm going to draw towards Rowlet now, despite the poor guy going through a slightly.. odd phase during his second evolution.

I haven't seen many comments regarding the Tapu, which is slightly surprising. I happen to love Tapu Fini, and I really hope to train it after I complete the game, after all, when I began it was ok to use a team of legendaries because I would send a water type out on a grass type, but now it may be best if I hold off on the legendaries to give me a bit more of a arduous challenge.

Cosmog is a God-given gift of adorable, just going to point that out.

Finally, I couldn't help but be slightly startled at the appearance of Cynthia, Red, Blue, and Wally! Especially Cynthia, she was the first champion I ever faced after all. A damn hard one too for my young self.

Personally I am very excited to learn about Cosmog's history and background, though I may have ruined the whole game for myself (those who viewed the spoilers may realize what I am implying) and I am so thrilled at the prospect of the Tapu puzzles. In the Japanese trailer, they show a puzzle-like room, and I am very excited to figure out the lore behind these beasts.

YEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!! I knew it, leaks don't give lies >:3 and I still ship Rowlet x Popplio :p Anyone else with me? XD And kind to think of it, red looks more... Eh... IDK, but it's a good thing these two champs returned to a new chapter of nitendo :3 I will never forget that WWE Alolan wrestler, geez, John Cena you might need to fight this bad boy XD

Hey @Kat~Raichu Budo and Citrix Fully evolved let the shipping begin!!!!!!!
*Face intensifies* >:3 Hehehe, let's begin it starting right NOW!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
when i saw red and blues eyes i was like omg omg this is so hype!!!!!but when i realized that they are like 40 years old i was like hate this game.also poplio final evolution sucks i as hopping water/fighting

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator

And which 'tiers' would those be? Smogon's completely arbitrary made-up nonsense, that changes every other day because some horde of whiny, sore losers can't wrap their brain around a simple counter for a common strategy, so instead they ban the common strategy? Smogon is not a viable source of anything as far as I'm concerned. As for the "official" competitive scene as seen in events? They're literally all using the same blasted team, to the point some of the more prominent nerfs in Sun/Moon have CLEARLY been made to nuke that particular strategy? Can't really rely on that either.

Tl;dr, "tiers" are bullshit. Next.

I have personally encountered some incredibly powerful Trevenants used competitively (Sitrus Harvest Trevs can be nigh-untouchable, atrocious life-sucking bitches with the right movesets!) - so ultimately, as with many Pokemon, it's mostly a matter of how you (or the opponent) is using them. Just ask Alomomola - that's one ridiculous pink fish you underestimate at your own peril <<

Now if you look at the type combination objectively, it negates the grass weaknesses to Bug and Poison and adds an immunity to Normal and Fighting, at the cost of adding a weakness to Dark and Ghost... Which is a net gain, overall (of course, the Normal/Fighting immunity can be countered through the Scrappy ability or shit like Odor Sleuth/Foresight, but the former isn't overtly common and can be planned around, and virtually no one carries the latter!). Add to that the Generation 6 resistance to assorted powder moves and things like Leech Seed, and you've got a combination with a hell of a lot of potential. Given the fact we still don't know what Decidueye's stats and move pool are, and how much can its Mean-Look-But-With-Damage signature move can change the game, I'd say it's a bit early to judge where the thing is going to end up in the competitive arena. But that has much less to do with its type than you think.

Now go to your corner and rethink your criteria for valuing Pokemon.

So, I have noticed something: Wally has his Mega Gallade in the Battle Tree. This makes me wonder if the other returning trainers will have the possibility to Mega Evolve their Pokémon... for example, might Cynthia get Mega Garchomp, or Red get one of the Mega Kanto starters? Maybe not, but it'd be fun...
Or Cynthia could have a Mega Lucario...

Definitely picking Rowlet.
th

Look who loves Poppilo now. Like, at least half the fandom. Cmon, what Pokegirl doesn't appreciate a mermaid pokemon? XD Loving the Psychic and Water guardians, and I NOW CAN'T DECIDE MY STARTER. It's either Mr. I-forgot-the-owl-pokemon's-name, oh yeah Rowlet, or Poppilo.

I have just one thing to say...

Fairies... Fairies everywhere...

I had no doubt final evolution of Popplio would be fairy. Also I didn't even think Rowlett's final evolution would be SO BADASS. Cat-fake-wrestler... Too obvious, too overrated, too Game-Freak-ish(?). Now I'm left in doubt... Rowlett or Popplio...

Fairies... Fairies everywhere... Not Tapu Lele is nice ^^

Cosmog is great, if it has evolution, I'll surely take it to my main team. If not then it will surely assist me for some time.

But fairies everywhere...

Dwayna DragonFire

2014 Little Cup Champion
This pretty much solidified my decision into getting the owl instead of the cat. Excited to see Red and Blue in the Alolan region. Also, the 'blocks' on Red's shirt look like the number 96 if you squint, likely a subtle reference to their 20th anniversary.

Seeing Red and Blue is pretty cool, especially now that they are older. Looking at the starter evolutions, I'm torn between choosing Primarina, because I usually go with water types, Decidueye because he reminds of Robin Hood or a ranger from fantasy - or Incineroar because of the wrestling fan in me.