• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

First Detective Pikachu Movie Trailer Released

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Detective Pikachu poster.jpg

We've known about the Detective Pikachu film for quite awhile now, but so far we've yet to see any footage of it. However, that all changed today as Warner Bros. Pictures uploaded the very first trailer to their YouTube channel. You can check it below!

The film is currently set to be released during Summer 2019 and you can keep up to date with information on the movie through the official Twitter account for it here.

Last edited:

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
It looks... good? I mean, I have some questions about whether they'll pull off the story, but I watched the trailer and found myself genuinely excited to see it for real.

The visual style of the Pokémon will take a while to get used to, for sure, but I actually like it – the Pokémon themselves are going to be super divisive, but they're "realistic" while still being very recognisably the Pokémon we're used to.

I've been approaching this film with caution and a little trepidation so far, and the full film may still turn out to be less competent than we'd hope – but it's so nice to see a story told in the Pokémon world that isn't "fight gym, get badge," and so far it looks like it's going to be handled pretty well. The action scenes should be really something to behold, too...

And Ryan Reynolds is wonderful, as always.

Honestly, could be a lot worse. I do have hopes that this movie turns out decent at the very least. And that Mr. Mime bit admittedly got a laugh out of me XD. Although I have yet to finish the game, so I might do that before I watch it.

I literally just came across this trailer on youtube and was about to post the link. But right as I jump over here it's at the top. So.. this is not what I thought it was gonna be. It's like Pokémon version of Ted or something.. I don't know.

This actually looks pretty good. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still skeptical and some of the Pokémon look a little uncanny like Greninja & Mr. Mine, but everything in general looks amazing. Plus, there actually feels like there’s a lot of heart in this film & it honestly seems as if the Pokémon world has come to life.

If this leads to “gym badge quest” pokémon films though, I’m just hoping they’ll be adaptations of the games &/or the Adventures manga rather than the anime. With this kind of world, I can Pokémon RBGY being turned into a multi-film series (similar to Harry Potter) & just retcon it to include pokémon and references of other generations

Well, from the 2 seconds we see of Charmander and the 3 we see of Charizard, they actually look pretty good. I was honestly expecting them to look more lizard like, but they managed to make them look semi-realistic with fairly un-lizard like eyes, so yeah, that gets a big thumbs up from me.

It seems like they're not taking this movie too seriously but still trying to keep it faithful to the franchise and fun. It felt weird and a bit funny to hear Pikachu say "Oh my God", but saying "Oh my Arceus" might have been confusing for some people, so I get that. It's clear they've done research as shown with that Mr. Mime bit, which made me realize that we've never really seen Mr. Mime act like...a mime in the games or anime out side of waving their hands around in circles. And am I the only one who thinks it looks less creepy here then in the games? Probably.

As for the models, some look pretty good (Charmander, Bulbasaur, Pancham), some look serviceable (Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mr. Mime), and some look...a bit off (Psyduck, Graveller, Greninja), but that can be expected. Making a Pokemon appear realistic without being creepy is no doubt hard to do. Honestly, so long as the writing's good, it'll be fine as it currently stands.

The tone seems to be more "for the whole family" instead of "for kids" with a few dark moments and a bit of adult humor thrown in that you don't see in a Pokemon movie. So long as it doesn't turn out to be a massive dumpster fire that even a hardcore fan couldn't enjoy (ie: like The Last Airbender for Avatar fans), I'll definitely go see it.

Thanks I hate it.

Seriously what kind of crazy mix of nightmare fuel and generic buddy cop movie with a gimmick is this? I really really don't want to see this - I could probably rewatch Ted and play Pokemon at the same time to get the same experience. Although I do really like the set dressing on this one, it does look like a believable modern world with Pokemon.

Edit: Should probably point out that I tend to dislike movie trailers in general due to the fact that they seem to always boil the movie down to it's most generic parts so they all come across as being essentially the exact same movie with a different gimmick. So that bias probably has a lot to do with my dislike of this trailer. Still standing by the nightmare fuel though.

Last edited:

sSoul

Previously Swirled
I expect it to be bad, cause when have video game movies not been bad, but if it's decent than I will be pleasantly surprised.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I've rewatched the trailer countless times by this point, and after taking in everything it has to offer I've found myself thinking "I wonder how many different Pokemon will appear in the film?" I'd be down with seeing all of them done in this visual style - but clearly that's impossible. I'll just need to be satisfied with what they give us. :p

I'm just really hoping that Raichu pops up at some point because I'd love to see an uber furry take on it like Pikachu. Safe to say, even if the movie is terrible, it's going to be refreshing to see this version of the Pokemon world on the big screen. :)

I have hope for this movie, although I don't like how they have Charizard the bad guy of all things...... Wait. Just I think this way, never mind!