• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Fish!

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
So I decided to get a fish tank and get some fish as a bit of a hobby. It's been a bit of a tricky start to the whole thing, since pets at home kept selling me diseased fish and a tiny tank. Since I switched where I was getting my fish from and I actually got some decent advice on the whole thing, I upgraded from a 19 litre tank to a 60 litre tank and upgraded from coldwater to tropical fish.

As of today, my tank now has 6 minnows (named Rosie, Jenny, Aiden, Blake, Noah and Isaac), 6 neons (named Gabe, Tate, Harper, Raven, Olive and Shaun), a fancy goldfish (named Luke, but I'm giving him away on Monday) and a swordtail (named Kate)

Here have some pictures:

tumblr_mzk9w3GMTa1qd22n0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mzk9w3GMTa1qd22n0o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mzk9w3GMTa1qd22n0o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mzk9w3GMTa1qd22n0o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mzk9w3GMTa1qd22n0o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_mzk9w3GMTa1qd22n0o6_1280.jpg

And there's my fish!

I'll open it up to everyone else now, do you guys have fish? Want fish? Fish?

FEESH FRIENDS. I love neon tetras. We used to have a tank when I was a teenager but unfortunately it grew an amazing amount of algae at a rate that we couldn't keep up with, and strange things occurred like random fish death and suicide (!) to the point where we had to retire the tank when its last resident passed away. Unfortunately we were poor feesh owners, though we certainly spent enough on trying to fix all the environmental problems.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
We have one goldfish that my brother won at a fair about... six years ago now. In truth the fish we have now isn't the same one he won, that died and was replaced about four times over until we got our current fish who has been with us about four years. My brother thinks it's the same fish, though. :p

Overall I'm not that fond of fish. With Nemo, the goldfish, we struggle to stop the water in the tank going green which ends up with us spending an hour and a half to two hours every week cleaning the thing out (to then have the water go green in a day or two and me and dad wanting to give up on the thing forever). It doesn't help that we have fairly hard water here too which scales the tanks filter and such up very, very quickly. That said, to have kept the fish alive this long we're evidently doing something right. :)

My sister is studying Marine Biology, so one of her modules was studying this tropical 'fighting' fish (can't remember the proper name) and its territorial habits. After the study, and the resulting fish fight, her fish, named Toast, came out on top. She then chose to adopt the fish, so it now lives in my parents home, so I see it from time to time. He's doing well, for a wounded fish warrior. He has a fellow resident called Porridge, but I don't remember his awesome story.

@Yoshimitsu yeah, did some digging with that name, and I'm certain on the species now. Don't think Porridge is one as well, otherwise it would have been difficult getting them to share a tank.
@Secad, don't know to be honest, I know my sister has notes, but not sure if she can get a video. I'll get back to you when I get the chance to ask.