• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

General Anime Discussion Thread

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Bumping because we're into the new season and I wanna bring some life back to my thread, and I'm curious to what people are watching~

My currently watching list looks like this:

- My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU (Although Anime on Demand have the UK streaming rights and are already a couple of weeks behind, so I'm not actually getting to see this weekly).
- Devil Survivor 2 the animation
- Oreimo Season 2
- The Severing Crime Edge
- Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
- Attack on Titan
- Pokémon Best Wishes Season 2: Episode N
- Red Data Girl
- Flowers of Evil

I'm also slowly making my way through Little Busters (Linkachu's fault, completely xD), and the first season of Black Butler.

Even though the list seems quite long, to me it feels like I'm not watching much this season, probably moreso because of the fact a great deal of it airs over the course of the weekend and I seem to be getting through it fairly quickly. The ones that stand out to me so far are Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet, The Severing Crime Edge and the second season of Oreimo. Red Data Girl is pretty special too, but I've found the pacing a little odd the last couple of episodes and I'm waiting to see if that'll change.

Attack on Titan is proving to be a good show, but I could easily see the story turning into a blood bath just because of the way it is, and I'm somewhat debating dropping it depending on what happens. It hasn't really got much going for it if it ends with everyone dying anyway. Flowers of Evil just has a strange animation style, and while I know it's a good series I'm beginning to want to leave the anime alone and go through the manga, I'm just finding it hard to take to the animation choice the studio made at this point. We shall see what happens~

But hey, enough rambles from me. What're you guys watching? ^^

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Originally I had a rather ambitious post in mind for this thread but it ended up being a bit too ambitious... So I've scrapped it and have decided to just list what I'm currently watching instead. :p

This spring simulcast season I've gone a tad nutty. I decided to give a large amount of shows a go and have yet to drop any of them because, for better or worse, they've all been entertaining thus far. I'm also watching a bunch of shows with friends/family so my list likely wouldn't be this big if not for them. XD

My current watch list looks like this:
- Hunter x Hunter (2011)
- Cardfight!! Vanguard: Link Joker Hen
- Oreimo 2
- Devil Survivor 2 the Animation
- The Severing Crime Edge
- Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
- Attack on Titan
- RDG: Red Data Girl
- Hayate the Combat Butler! Cuties
- Arata the Legend
- The "Hentai" Prince and the Stony Cat
- Majestic Prince
- My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU
- Zettai Boei Leviatan
- Pokémon Best Wishes Season 2: Episode N
- Blue Dragon
- GJ Club
- Digimon Xros Wars: The Young Hunters Who Leapt Through Time
- Saki Episode of Side A (Doesn't air often)

And then there's the stuff that I'm watching but dreadfully slowly:
- Fullmetal Alchemist
- Wolf's Rain
- Haiyore! Nyaruko-san (Season 1)
- Beelzebub

There's FAR too much here to comment on everything individually but the spring simulcast shows that I've been enjoying the most are Oreimo 2, Gargantia, Attack on Titan, and My Teen Romantic Comedy. That's not to say that the others aren't good, if not great, but I have to draw the line somewhere. ;_; Out of everything else that I'm watching Hunter x Hunter and FMA are easily my top favourites (although, at the moment, I'm still rewatching episodes of FMA and have yet to get into the portion of it that I haven't seen). Wolf's Rain, which I'm watching for the first time, is shaping up to be a great series too, and I'm quite enjoying the N Arc of Pokemon Best Wishes.

The best part about watching this crapload of Anime is that the majority of it can be streamed on my TV thanks to Crunchyroll's 360/PS3 apps and Netflix for FMA. Even if Crunchyroll's app isn't streaming at 720p/1080p it's hard to notice the difference in quality. Originally the thing was a buggy mess, and I couldn't get it to run on my shoddy connection at all, but now that they've patched it up I'm loving it. :up:

But now on a totally different note... Do any of guys, besides Dem, have an Anime Planet account? The website allows you to keep track of the various different Anime series/movies/OVAs/etc. that you've watched, are currently watching, want to watch, and so forth. It also includes an area for manga readers. I'm quite liking the site and would love having more people to stalk on it. If anything, it'd give me more ideas of what shows to watch over the summer!

My account banner thing (click it to go to my account):

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I actually spawned an account for the hell of it. These people really need to update their character database. Especially re: Pokemon characters. Seriously. When there's a page for an obscure P2k character but none of the Sinnoh/Unova/Possibly a lot of others gym leaders? Something's off.

This website totally reminded me of a whole mess of things i need to finish watching/start watching though. xD

Anyhow. I've been watching Samurai Champloo lately. Slowly, as I can't seem to maintain the attention span to watch series in a row lately - but yeah. The show itself reminds me a great deal of Cowboy Bebop (not surprising considering it's by the same people really) and the battle choreography is gorgeous as hell. I'm not too far in still, but I'm getting there.

Literally just came back to spout on about what I'm watching.

So Attack on Titan isn't getting nearly enough love in this thread. It's really a great series- it's been a very long time since I've actually waited on something week by week (or, in the case of the manga, month by month!), checking obsessively in the early hours of the morning to see if the sub's been released. The opening theme is also the greatest thing ever. Some things about the anime's adaption have been a bit off, but it mostly follows the manga panel for panel. Definitely something I'd suggest to anyone and everyone.

Besides that, re-watching Outlaw Star, due to the fact that the campaign I'm in has some characters that are reminiscent of it.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
SineCosineTangent said:
So Attack on Titan isn't getting nearly enough love in this thread. It's really a great series- it's been a very long time since I've actually waited on something week by week (or, in the case of the manga, month by month!), checking obsessively in the early hours of the morning to see if the sub's been released. The opening theme is also the greatest thing ever. Some things about the anime's adaption have been a bit off, but it mostly follows the manga panel for panel. Definitely something I'd suggest to anyone and everyone.

The thing about Attack on Titan is that it's only truly begun coming into its own over the past few episodes. I've somewhat enjoyed it from the start but, dare I say it, the earlier episodes felt like they lacked plot and character development and were mostly about shock factor, gore, and depressing themes.
It's only been since Mikasa's flashback episode that I started properly liking her. Prior to that her character was badass but also fairly shallow/full-on Mary Sue. Eren too is only now really starting to become more than just "GRRR REVENGE!", which served a purpose but made for a somewhat boring protagonist. It takes every good story a certain amount of time to develop characters but it wouldn't have hurt Attack on Titan to do so a tad sooner. Earlier on when supporting characters died I was mostly scratching my head wondering "is anyone going to survive?", not necessarily caring that they'd died, but now I'm actually starting to genuinely care about some of them. Their deaths actually mean something now! XD I'm liking where the series is going and it's sure to end up being one of my favourite shows of the season, but I wouldn't fault anyone for dropping it earlier on.
That being said, it's definitely a show worth sticking with, assuming you're okay with the gore, because it just keeps getting better and better. :)

dare I say it, the earlier episodes felt like they lacked plot and character development and were mostly about shock factor, gore, and depressing themes.

Oh, completely. There is no question it was vying for the most grimdark of shows. It's definitely something I would also advise to stick with, cause later stuff is awesome [see spoiler]~ Also I would suggest the manga as well, even though it is a once a month release ;n;

Later stuff LIKE EREN'S TITAN FORM although they screwed it up in the anime- the manga and artbook place it as skinless, much like the colossal titan. I loved the design so much more when it was all sinew. Also Mikasa, AKA "She's literally just amazing at every single aptitude test" XD. I don't know how much I can properly spoil since I'm not sure how many people here have read the manga as well |3

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I most recently watched episode 8 and it definitely was pretty damn awesome (I don't read the manga :(). The twist at the end was predictable but it was still nifty. Can't wait to see where things go from here! :8B:

Also, meant to say earlier...

SineCosineTangent said:
The opening theme is also the greatest thing ever.
Hells yeah! 8D

Last edited by a moderator:
I just watched Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, and I must say, DAMN ;-;

Without giving too much away, a high school student basically is trykng to help a ghost reclaim their lost memories. It gets really emotional a few eps in, and stays that way until the end(12 eps long).

I also watched Broken Blade, which is a really pretty mecha anime.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Shocari said:
I just watched Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, and I must say, DAMN ;-;

Without giving too much away, a high school student basically is trykng to help a ghost reclaim their lost memories. It gets really emotional a few eps in, and stays that way until the end(12 eps long).

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I rewatched it recently, and yeah, it really is a great series and one of the best last year. ^^

As for what I've been watching this season it looks something like this.

- Attack on Titan
- Dog & Scissors
- Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East: Season 2
- Il sole penetra le illusioni ~ Day Break Illusion
- The World God Only Knows Season 3
- Servant x Service
- Silver Spoon
- Sunday Without God
- WATAMOTE ~ No Matter How I Look At It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Unpopular!

I also went through the first season of Valvrave the Liberator, which deservers mostly all the praise it got. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with season two. :)

As for the stuff I've been watching though... Attack on Titan started out really well, as I'm sure most people know because of all the hype around it, but after it hit that kinda 12 episode mark its really started to slow down. The show apparently isn't going for an original ending (It seems they want to leave it open so they can continue it if the demand is there and they have more of the manga to use), so it evidently has its sights set on a certain point on which it wants to end... a point that feels pretty close and close enough where they're really drawing the episodes out and it's quite noticeable right now.

Dog & Scissors, Servant x Service, and Watamote are pretty much decent comedy and that's all there is to 'em. Dog & Scissors has a hint of mystery to it which is keeping me amused and Servant x Service just does things really well. Watamote is...it kinda walks a very fine line sometimes with some of the things it does, but it's certainly a decent comedy in its own right.

Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East: Season 2 is on the same level as the first season really, I'm likely only really enjoying it now because I've grown attached to the characters and setting. It's a fun way to waste a Monday. ♥ The World God Only Knows Season 3 is... it's as good as past seasons, but to get to the point in which this season has started they've skipped a lot of the manga, and parts of the manga which introduce us to some of the characters we meet here so the first episode felt very shakey and pretty fast paced. Its gotten better as it goes on, but yeah, skipping so much manga was a silly choice.

Il sole penetra le illusioni ~ Day Break Illusion Is okay, it started off far better then it is now. To begin with it looked like it was going for the whole Madoka Magica dark magical girl anime, and to a point it has stuck to the dark magical girl theme, but each episode currently is focusing on showing us the story behind all the girls and well... by the time they finish with that we may not have many episodes left and it really won't have time to do anything worthwhile really.

Silver Spoon and Sunday Without God are my favourites really. Both, for me, are the shows of the season. Silver Spoon is a slow paced slice of life, but it's inspiring and it's really well done. Of course, the fact it's based around a farming school and features loads of cute animals kinda helps it for me. :angel: Sunday Without God is just brilliant, it's slowing down a bit now, but it's still brilliant. ♥

I'm kind of tempted to watch Attack on Titan, but the gore factor is what scares me ;A; how is the fandom so silly compared to what I've heard of it? Does it surprise me? Not really.

But anyway, I currently have 3 animes that I keep up with regularly now.

- Free!
- Dangan Ronpa
- WATAMOTE ~ No Matter How I Look At It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Unpopular!

Free! was something I originally started watching simply to humor some online friends, but the animation and detail is pretty good, and I just love the characters~ I find myself laughing at the fan service more than fawning over it like a lot of people, but there were plenty of times where I just wanted to look at Nagisa and just say "Just kiss him already, you know you want to."

I was originally only going to watch Dangan Ronpa so that way I could just watch an anime version of the game without having to scour the internet for free translations or have to go through a pay wall. However, since there are patches of the original game out, I know the story, and I am quite impressed at how fast each episode is and how much is covered in such a short period of time. I really do like it though~ I also hope that, with the rapid progression of the series, that they might also do an animation adaptation of SDR2~ I would just love to see darling Nanami in it~

and WAMOTE~ Goodness gracious, I love this anime, each episode I find myself laughing my ass off. Awkward Girl anime, as I call it, is just... it's just something you have to watch to get. It is just... perfect. You are just TRAMPLED AND FLOODED with second hand embarrassment and awkwardness and not only does it make me laugh, it makes me feel better about myself~ The opening makes me think that half way through its going to pull a Madoka and turn into some psychological horror though ;A; but it won't. It will remain hilarious~

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Finished a lot of this seasons shows this week, so it's ramble time! :D

- Attack on Titan - Finished
- Dog & Scissors - Finished
- Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East: Season 2 - Finishes tomorrow
- Il sole penetra le illusioni ~ Day Break Illusion - Behind
- The World God Only Knows Season 3 - Finished
- Servant x Service - Behind
- Silver Spoon - Finished
- Sunday Without God - Finished
- WATAMOTE ~ No Matter How I Look At It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Unpopular! - Behind

This season was actually pretty enjoyable, a few surprise hits among it too. My favourites being Silver Spoon, Sunday Without God, and The World God Only Knows. The shows I'm behind on, aside from Servant X Service, are shows I've been watching with Katie and well... we lost our way with them over the summer. xD

Attack on Titan finished last night, and while the second half of the series was really slow week to week and drove me nuts, I was actually quite impressed with how they ended things. They left it open enough to continue at some point (I mean, hey, we never got to Eren's basement after all), but at the same time it was a fulfilling enough for me. I think looking back at the thing it had a lot of faults, but they were overshadowed by the hype, and once you started it and got halfway through you're kinda just pulled along by the thing like it or not. I quite look forward to seeing it continue, I'm too invested in the characters to not pick it up again.

Dog & Scissors was a fun comedy, but it lost its way at the end. It had a perfectly fine stopping point at the 11th episode and went on just an episode too long for something utterly stupid which could have been an OVA. Yeaaah. It was fun for what it was, but not one I'd recommend and likely wouldn't have watched during a more crazy season.

Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East: Season 2 has been fun so far. Again, it isn't really a show I'd recommend, and I'm kind of blinded by the fact I really really like the characters at this point. That said, it certainly isn't bad and it is pulling together all the loose end of the first season which is all I ask at this point. I'm looking forward to seeing where we end things, it has been a fun little show now I've warmed to the characters. ^^

Il sole penetra le illusioni ~ Day Break Illusion I'm far too behind on to actually comment on and be able to justify what I'm saying, but from what I've heard it's a muddled mess of being a dark magical girl series which almost does things well but not quite managing. From what I have seen of I do agree with what I've been hearing, which is sad. Not in any rush to finish this one.

The World God Only Knows Season 3 was....the normal impressive charm the series has, but it was also really rushed in places and I wasn't impressed with the ending. To reach the arc that this season covers it cut loads of stuff from the manga (or tried to show us it in five minutes of footage at the beginning of the first episode), and while it did sort itself out the ending felt rushed. I can't fault the anime for the ending though, apparently the manga was just as rushed, but it just felt like they skipped a lot of stuff that they could have shown us. It was a rushed, but it didn't ruin it. I look forward to another season really, because it's a great series, this was just a bad arc for it to cover.

Servant x Service is a solid comedy with strong characters. I can't watch comedy that well on my own though, so I keep falling behind because the show has nothing to keep me coming back. I just put it on now and again when I fancy something that doesn't need me to be in much of a sensible mood for it.

Sunday Without God is my favourite of the season without a single doubt, and getting to share it with @Teapot was just the icing on the cake ♥. It's set in such an interesting world and after 12 episodes it still doesn't feel like we've even touched the surface of it. Ai isn't all that interesting a character, but she's perfect for us to see the world and its people through. She's cute, but never really used for fanservice, the show doesn't need to go to that level because by the second arc the story and setting have you pretty pulled in. The show even manages to have two arcs set in a school pretty back to back yet still make them different enough to be interesting.

Alike a few shows this season the end was left open for them to continue (and I hope they do), but at the same time I was perfectly satisfied with what it did. It also had the prettiest animation this season and the best soundtrack, I just really fell in love with the thing. xp

Silver Spoon continues with a second season at the start of next year, and the fact its known all along that it will run for 22-24 episodes has really helped it. The show has taken things slowly and developed its characters really well and I love it. People who don't care for animals or slice of life shows will likely hate it, but start to finish Silver Spoon has kept me entertained and kept me interested for a lot of the same reasons Fullmetal Alchemist did.

This season aside, the next season will likely see me sailing the seven seas for my anime... Aniplex has gone in a huff with the UK market and thus a lot of the good stuff Crunchyroll is getting is locked down to the US and such while we don't get 'em. Unless someone else comes in and says they have the rights and will stream stuff (All The Anime, or Anime on Demand), it isn't going to be the best season so far... Time will tell.

Also, yesterday I watched Place Promised in our Early Days with @Linkachu It's only my second time watching through the movie and while I regard it as a favourite the plot never made sense to me the first time around. Watching it through again defo made me appreciate the plot a lot more than I originally had, but it still doesn't interest me as much as the bonds between the characters do. It's a really powerful and thoughtful movie with an amazing soundtrack but it does fall apart a bit with the plot because it's slow at explaining itself.

I really enjoyed watching it again though, and was really happy that I finally got to share it with Katie. ^^

Last edited:
I was originally only going to watch Dangan Ronpa so that way I could just watch an anime version of the game without having to scour the internet for free translations or have to go through a pay wall. However, since there are patches of the original game out, I know the story, and I am quite impressed at how fast each episode is and how much is covered in such a short period of time. I really do like it though~ I also hope that, with the rapid progression of the series, that they might also do an animation adaptation of SDR2~ I would just love to see darling Nanami in it~

Hey, so I was coming to this thread just to talk about this anime! I don't really have time to follow much of anything anymore, but I made a special exception for this one. I dearly love the game (note avatar) and while the anime isn't as good at the game, it does a damn fine job of telling the story. I kind of wish they had been able to get 20 episodes instead of 13, but the pacing stops being an issue, oh, about halfway through. The last few episodes especially were done excellently, and despite knowing where the story was going to go, I was on the edge of my seat for them.

I am also a complete sucker for the trial scenes.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Currently watching Outlaw Star because it's about bloody time. The series has been on my things-to-watch list in like forever and I guess it's about time I finally saw it.

On a completely different note, yesterday I ran through the entirety of Puella Magi Madoka Magica. I have a strange liking for series that deconstruct the frell out of their genre - and oh my deities, Madoka does it gloriously.

Even at the early beginnings where it's still sort of pretending to be a typical Magical Girl series, there are subtle cues that reveal something is about to go incredibly wrong and as the series progresses it climbs further and further up the Holy-Shit-O-Meter with new wham moments with every episode. While I did know of a few elements of the series and that it was quite messed up - when things really went south, it still shocked/surprised/'did-they-seriously-just-' the hell out of me.

But the most amazing thing about Madoka is the atmosphere, which really gives the show the most artistic vibe I've ever seen in an anime. It starts off as your typical moe-blob-shoujo-nonsense - and then you find out it's one huge bait-and-switch. Between the way they played with the camera angles during key moments (which only helped give them an innate sense of wrongness) and the utter bizarreness of the Witch Mazes (Never in my life have I thought I'd see a combination of Anime, Western-style animation and Terry Gilliam-esque Stop Motion)... Yeah. It's one of those shows that kind of needs to be watched rather than described. I'm rather glad I did.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Yeah. It's one of those shows that kind of needs to be watched rather than described. I'm rather glad I did.

Yeah, that's basically what I say to anyone whose interested in the series and haven't yet seen it. You just need to watch it. Trying to describe it can give far too much away, or just doesn't give it anywhere near the justice it deserves. This series has to be seen, even if you normally hate magical girl anime, it's very, very special and different. ^^

Now, ramble time. >:3

We're about a month into the new season, so I thought I'd ramble about what I've picked up and have been enjoying so far. My watch list currently looks like this:

- Beyond the Boundary
- Coppelion
- Golden Time
- Valvrave season 2
- Kill la Kill
- Log Horizon
- Unbreakable Machine-Doll
- Nagi No Asukara
- Outbreak company
- Samurai Flamenco
- Strike The Blood
- Tokyo Ravens

Quite a big list really, especially when I'm quietly awaiting one more show to begin. Been a bit of a mess in the UK as a couple of new streaming services came into play and took a few shows that Crunchyroll would have otherwise had, so I've been playing catch-up, especially with Coppelion (which I dare say has hindered my enjoyment of it).

As always though I already have firm favourites for the season, ones which I don't doubt will stick. Currently I'm enjoying Beyond the Boundary, Kill la Kill, Nagi No Asukara, and Strike The Blood.

Beyond the Boundary is from Kyoto Animation and mixes some of my favourite things about the studio, it feels like Hyouka and Chunibyo & Other Delusions mixed together, which suits me fine. Hyouka is easily one of my favourite anime, especially by that studio, and Beyond the Boundary's characters feel very alike in a very pleasing way. The end of the fourth episode introduced a very interesting aspect to the story which I have no doubt will carry it nicely, it's shaping up to be a very solid show and it's definitely the one I look forward to most right now. It totally has the best OP this season too ♥

Kill la Kill is a Studio Trigger title, and one of their first big titles. It was tipped to be one of the biggest of the season, and it easily is, but not in the normal sense of the word if I'm honest. Kill la Kill arguably wouldn't be this big if not handled by this studio, it's only because their animation stands out and brings people in that its gained so much attention. It's a solid show, but it's utterly insane. The characters, the setting, the very idea is utterly insane, but it makes it work to give you 25 minutes of solid fun. It's quickly becoming a 'battle of the week' show, and any plot it does have you know could be resolved in an episode or two, but it's pure fun as long as you aren't looking at it too deeply. I don't feel fair comparing it to other shows this season, so I've kinda just tipped it as a favourite and look forward to it week in and week out. ^^

Nagi No Asukara is a P.A Works original. I was a bit iffy going into it as, if I recall correctly, the last P.A Works anime I watched were Teri Teri and Red Data Girl both of which fell quite flat at the end. That said Nagi No Asukara has impressed so far, it has a good cast of characters and a good setting along with insanely pretty animation. I'm being very careful not to quite dub it as a favourite yet, it has time to ruin itself, but I'm crossing my fingers and hoping all goes well.

Strike The Blood is a typical Shonen title, but it's being handled by Silver Link who handled Dusk Maiden of Amnesia and Korokoro Connect, both of which I regard fondly, so Strike the Blood has gotten my hopes up for something quite interesting. The plot doesn't really stand out as anything special, but the cast of characters are so far loveable and I've grown very attached to them very quickly. The fact it revolves around a vampire kinda helps....

Coppelion, Golden Time, Unbreakable Machine-Doll and Tokyo Ravens are really the ones I'm watching but feel kinda iffy about. Coppelion has a good plot, but by the time I started it we were already past the four episode mark and it didn't do anything to keep me watching. Golden Time has a very good idea behind it and I look forward to watching it play out, but it drops to fan service a fair bit, and I'm kinda hoping it either drops that or at least doesn't get worse. xp Unbreakable Machine-Doll has the same issue as Golden Time (although the fan service is somewhat worse), but while Golden Time is a slice of life/comedy, Unbreakable Machine-Doll is a Shonen title, and that aspect keeps me going back. Not much to say about Tokyo Ravens at this point, its an okay Shonen title, but I can't say I care for the characters yet. Maybe watching so much of it while I was sickly didn't help its cause.

Valvrave season 2 is well, Valvrave. It still feels like a Code Geassx2, but it's still very solid and I can't often fault it. It's certainly a favourite, but being a second season I don't feel fair compairing it to other things which are just beginning.

Outbreak Company is about a young man taken to another world tasked with the job of introducing the people there to the world of anime, manga and so forth. It's an interesting idea that plays out nicely as a comedy. Not sure I'm that fond of the lead character, but I try and ignore those pressing thoughts and enjoy the ride. It has some nifty references to hit shows now and again too, which are very fun to watch play out.

Samurai Flamenco is due to run for 25 episodes, it's an anime original too, so safe in this knowledge I'm paying attention to it but haven't been drawn in yet. It's taking things slowly, very slowly, but it has the time to do so. Guess we'll see where it goes. ^^

Yay anime thread.
I've watched plenty of anime and enjoyed most of it, some of my favorites being Angel Beats, Clannad, Kiniro Mosaic (i love moe), Love Lab and some more but these are the ones that came first to my head. So what I'm watching this season is:

-Non Non Biyori (my favorite)
-Kill la Kill
-Golden Time
-Coppelion
-Noucome
-Gingitsune

Would list more but playing x and y left many anime behind that I might not even want to catch up on. Also some more I'm watching along side these are; higurashi no nako koro ni kai (rewatching), moetan and serial experiments lain.

I'm fairly inexperienced in terms of anime (at least, compared to some), but the one I love most is probably Trigun, though it only barely wins that title over Hellsing Ultimate and my childhood love of Yu-Gi-Oh and, more recently, Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's (GX was meh, Zexal can jump up it's own ass and die).

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm always watching something (might share my current watchlist later) but in particular I recently watched the first two Madoka Magica movies. For "retelling" movies they were actually fairly well done with very minor changes. Most all, if not all, of the high note scenes were included. Aside from feeling a tad rushed at times it didn't feel like anything was missing. Visually the movies were gorgeous and the soundtrack was just as beautiful and atmospheric as the television series. I'd still highly recommend that people watch the TV series first before tackling the movies, just to get everything, but the movies wouldn't necessarily be a bad entrance to the Madoka universe either. All of my favourite quotes from the TV series were included in movie 2. ♥

Likely the most interesting part of watching these movies, aside from getting to revisit the universe again, was seeing Homura from a different perspective. Knowing what I know now, all of Homura's actions and every comment she makes held a new found, heartbreaking meaning. I'm glad that I was originally able to watch the TV series knowing very, very little about the plot but rewatching it was really nice too. Still cried at two choice scenes. I'm likely even more of a Homura fangirl than I once was and I didn't even think that was possible! Dying to see the 3rd movie now. :'D

Madoka is a great series and still one of the most powerful that I've ever seen. Will forever love this song too~

Just finished watching The Future Diary/Mirai Nikki, and zomg my head ;______; I thought Death Note and Code Geass did some mindfucking, but geez. If you combine Battle Royale and Death Note and throw it into a world literally governed by Deus Ex Machina, you get The Future Diary. Throw in some personalities from Code Geass, and you're good to go. tl;dr It's really effing awesome and I totally recommend it.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
First off, recently me and @Linkachu watched the first season of Bakuman. Overall it's a three season show of 21-25 episodes a season which covers the story from beginning to end. Now, as a manga I utterly adored Bakuman, it was witty, well written, had brilliant characters and did everything it needed to in order to keep me interested for 100+ chapters. Watching the series animated was the cheery on top for me really, it does everything the manga does and more. Love the series to bits ♥

Righto, my watch list currently looks like this:

• Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren (which is basically season 2)
  • Silver Spoon Season 2
  • Golden Time
  • Kill la Kill
  • Log Horizon
  • Nagi no Asukara
  • Noragami
  • Outbreak Company
  • Space Dandy
  • Samurai Flamenco
  • Strike The Blood
  • Tokyo Ravens
  • The Pilot's Love Song
  • Magical Warfare
  • Sakura Trick
  • Nobunagun
  • Buddy Complex
  • Nisekoi
I know that's a huge list, shush. Outbreak Company can be crossed off soon and perhaps Space Dandy and Tokyo Ravens too. :p

Easily my favourite of the lot so far are Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren, Silver Spoon, and Nagi no Asukara. Most of that is due to knowing just what I'm letting myself in for though. You can't really go wrong with something as brilliant as Silver Spoon, it's not as bright and flashy as Kill la Kill, but at heart it's the best show of the last year or so for a number of different reasons.

Chuunibyou I've been a little worried about getting back into. I introduced Katie to the first season of the show during Christmas and a lot of the faults I had with the show were still faults to me when I rewatched it. I really didn't like the first few episodes and it's only around the halfway mark I begun to get really invested in the show and where it was going. I guess part of me worried that the second season doesn't actually need to be a thing either, the first season wrapped things up perfectly well after all. However, all that said one episode in I'm sold. If a comedy can keep a smile on my face all the way through (I'm not much of a comedy person, at least not if a show isn't giving anything else), then it has to be doing something right. I still worry about just what the series is going to do, but I guess we shall see~

I think the weakest shows for me currently are Space Dandy and Tokyo Ravens, although the latter running for more than 13 episodes has reassured me a little bit. Space Dandy just had so much hype surrounding it and yet... it really isn't that good. The first half of episode 1 is okay, but the second half was for the most part a little boring. It's trying to do what Kill La Kill does and work on impulse, but Kill la Kill pulled that off far better than Space Dandy even came close to. I'll give it a few more episodes to see what it does, but in all honesty I won't be willing to give it a go past that because for me to stick with a 26 episode series it needs to prove itself. xp

In other news I got my hands on the soundtrack for Beyond the Boundary, cleverly titled soundtrack of Beyond the Melodies. For all the disappointment that series gave me in the end (SO wasted its ending </3), I'm a sucker for pretty soundtracks and this one is really, really nice. ♥

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I don't usually watch anime, but I have been roped into seeing a few in recent years... or something. Recent being since I was twel- er, since 2007. So yeah.

In no particular order:
-Code Geass
-Servant x Service
-D.Gray-man (stopped around episode 5, I preferred the manga)
-Bleach (stopped pretty early on too, like D.Gray-man)
-Dangan Ronpa
-Sword Art Online
-Puella Magi Madoka Magica
-Ouran High School Host Club

I definitely thought Servant x Service was cute and hilarious; same opinions applies to Ouran. Code Geass was amazing for completely different reasons, and Madoka is just... well, since I watched it, it's been my favorite anime, replacing Code Geass. I only watched Dangan Ronpa because I was into the LP, but it was kind of... well, I didn't like it I guess. Not as much as I enjoyed reading the LP. Bleach and D.Gray-man I only watched because I liked the manga and wanted to see what the anime was like, but I ended up switching back to the manga quickly.

Probably most disappointing of them all was SAO, though. My best friends in high school spoke really highly of it, and so I decided to give it a try this past winter break. It was... everything I expected, which is to say, it didn't go beyond and wow me. The universe was interesting, but everything else was either horrible or bland, and I left with a sort of "why do people think this is so great?" feeling. Second half or whatever was just downright terribly meh, and the first was okay until they got all the romance stuff really going. I really like Yui, though, and she's probably the only character I like. I'm sorry, I was just extremely disappointed when I watched SAO...

Also I read the manga for Mirai Nikki, and I highly recommend it like Sho, if you enjoy getting mindraep'd a lot. ;D

Anyways, an upcoming anime that I'm REALLY looking forward to is called Mekaku City Actors, roughly translated to Mechanical City Actors iirc. It's kind of based on a Vocaloid song series by the producer Jin; said series also has some Light Novel adaptations and a Manga, both by the name of Kagerou Days/Daze (Kagerou usually being translated as Heat-Haze). Several CMs have already been released for people to watch, if you're curious who the voice actors are and what they sound like.

Yeah, those are my two cents about Animes and stuff. :D

Just got done watching Valvrave, or Valvrave the Liberator. It's done by the guy who did Code Geass, so if you liked that, you'll probably like this. Your typical space high school is enjoying your typical space high school peace, when all of a sudden: boom. INVASION. Naturally, there's chaos. Amidst this chaos, our hero Haruto stumbles upon a Valvrave, a giant mech with insane capabilities. I think you can see how this is going to play out.

Gonna post my thoughts in spoilers because it /might/ ruin it for some people who want to watch it.

So, after watching all of Valvrave, I couldn't help but notice that it is CODE GEASS IN SPACE. No, really. It has almost the exact same plot, characters, everything. It's just in space. However, it is also kinda like Gundam 00 in that the main characters pilot Valvraves, which are superpowerful mechs that only they can use/have and also prove to be superior despite the enemy's attempts at recreating them. So it's not a perfect Code Geass clone, but it's pretty close.

So while I was initially enthralled, about 9 eps in(out of 24), I noticed just how similar it was to Code Geass. Looked it up and bam, written by the same dude, which would explain a lot. Code Geass is very popular, so rehashing it would obvious have a similar outcome, which it did.

Watch if you will, but know that that feeling of deja vu is because you HAVE seen it before. You have seen this exact scenario play out, from beginning to end, no deviation.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Just started watching Anohana because I've been interested in it for a while. I'm only halfway through the first episode and my trashcan is already full from tissues...

Also, Mekaku City Actors is 5 episodes in and I have not been disappointed at all; the art style does bother me somewhat, but overall the series just gives me too many feels to even care properly.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Just started watching Anohana because I've been interested in it for a while. I'm only halfway through the first episode and my trashcan is already full from tissues...

Ooo, happy to hear that. I've been meaning to give it a proper look for quite awhile now but haven't yet gotten around to doing so. I'll be interested to hear what your final impressions are once you've watched the entire show. :)

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Ooo, happy to hear that. I've been meaning to give it a proper look for quite awhile now but haven't yet gotten around to doing so. I'll be interested to hear what your final impressions are once you've watched the entire show. :)

Final impressions? 11 episodes later and I've completely demolished a box of its tissues and I'm probably halfway done through another, not to mention the non-tissues I've used (shirt, towels, just letting my tears run, etc.), and my parents have laughed at me the whole time for being a blubbering sobbing mess.

I REALLY like the anime, it's the only one I've seen in so long that actually feels relatable to me emotionally. Situationally, I haven't gone through anything the characters have, but I really like how they not only characterized the main characters but also showed the hidden depths of their family members and even a few side characters (notably Anjo's other friends, though you really only see their hidden depths during the end credits in the last episode). The sobbing got a little ridiculous in the last episode, but overall I really enjoyed it and I highly recommend it for anyone who likes going through emotional rollercoasters. |D

First off, I don't see much love for Hetalia. That makes m-a really sad, ve... Just because the episodes are short, doesn't mean people hate it. The short episodes give it a easier viewing time, and if your busy you can just watch an episode and go! Besides, Paint it white is funny, and just..awesomer then Prussia. And, there is a plot, it's just hard to trace. Besides, not really having a plot makes it just a tad bit funnier. I mean, who doesn't love
-sexy-, funny countries screwing around?

Also, I have started Kill la Kill, I'm on the seventh or eighth episode, and I LOVE it. The humor is so perky but cute at the same time. And Mako and her family...just...lol. The plots pretty good, and the seriousness and comedy mix well, so it goes smoothly. It kinda reminds me of Soul Eater....

I have watched Soul Eater over and over. It's just so epic! Like I said, the seriousness and comedy mix well, and the plots just awesome. Trying to stop the planet's demise while a sexy cat distracts your partner and a few retards are here and there?...okay, that's not exactly the plot. First off, I remember when I was younger the first episode i saw was Kidd trying to get the special key, and I fell in love with It. Just, so funny! I didn't watch it all the way through, I just watched the beginning, some of the middle, and the end.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica is one of my favourite anime snow. I read the first manga of it, and I fell in love for the anime. Also, I saw something about it before when I was younger, but I can't remember what it was. The dark and intriguing plot just draws you in...and I love it.
When I saw the things Homura went through, I felt so bad, and was very sad about how she was trying over and over so much, she basically couldn't go back, and nearly lost all her emotions... At first she seems like a awful person, but once you see what REALLY going on, up you understand.
And Madoka, just...JEIJWODJSOXNWOKXIDNCJSOKMSOCNDIE,IDOSP. No, just no. Don't cry baby, crying is for babies. Just stop crying so much. I know it's fit for her, but..no. Just no.

Last edited:

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
FOR THE SAKE OF YOUR SANITY DO NOT WATCH KAGEPRO.

The pacing is terrible, there's too much backstory and not enough actual plot, and when the plot actually happens it's really shite and there's a lot of unnecessary stuff that happens between episodes. Also we get little to no characterization for a lot of characters. The animation is also shite. Stand-alone the anime should never exist but as it ties into the rest of the franchise I guess it's okay?

I'm sorry I just saw the last episode today and I'm just so done with it.

Last edited:

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
FOR THE SAKE OF YOUR SANITY DO NOT WATCH KAGEPRO UNLESS YOU TAKE IT IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE MANGA, NOVELS, AND SONGS.

The pacing is terrible, there's too much backstory and not enough actual plot, and when the plot actually happens it's really shite and there's a lot of unnecessary stuff that happens between episodes. Also we get little to no characterization for a lot of characters. The animation is also shite. Stand-alone the anime should never exist but as it ties into the rest of the franchise I guess it's okay?

I'm sorry I just saw the last episode today and I'm just so done with it.
The thing is, you're saying that after you have literally fangirled over every other episode, so I'm amazed your opinion has reversed so quickly. I can imagine the last episode is duff... but does it really ruin the rest of the show?

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I'm really a plot driven person, so if things are resolved badly then it pretty much ruins the whole anime for me. Or game. Or anything, really.

Generally the anime is okay but kind of appeals to a specific taste? Something like that. Also the other episodes really played with my feelings a lot but that's because I've been developing an attachment to the characters for several years now. The final episode really just left me feeling extremely disappointed and stuff, so perhaps my judgment for the anime as a whole really is clouded by how terrible this episode was.

Perhaps the scriptwriter was really pressed for time this week idk :/

EDIT 6/29: Okay nevermind, actually took the time to rewatch the episode after my "omg what on earth did they do with the anime" doneness levels went back down, and it's not actually as terrible as I keep saying it is. I still stand by my thoughts that the pacing could've been better in a lot of ways, but overall it's not a bad anime. It doesn't line up with the tone of the rest of the franchise for sure, but by itself it does okay. I still recommend it to people to watch 8D

Last edited:

Jhan Garc

Formerly AkenabeShiro
Bumping to ask a very serious question...

omgsaveme.png

I'd be living in the Fairy Tail world, which would be pretty awesome if I actually acquired magical powers. If not, I'd probably be screwed. 8D

Oh my god.

Gonna get a Odama Rasenshuriken to the butt

As for my list,I'm watching Akame ga KILL!,Naruto,One Piece,Garo (forgot the name),Shingeki no Bahamut:Genesis and Trinity Seven (fufufufu). My future list would be RWBY,Hetalia and maybe Soul Eater NOT!

The ones I've gave upon watching are Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers,Sword Art Online II and Log Horizon

Rinoa Heartilly

Mother of Meltans
I'm currently rewatching all of the Trigun series and then when I'm finished
with this, I'll probably be giving Cowboy Bebop a try. I've still to see it. [/sob]

I'm more of a graphic novel reader than the animated fangirl type of person
but given the popularity of Cowboy Bebop [and it's awesome tunage], I doubt
that I'll be disappointed! Really looking forward to the experience. n_n

I read one of the volumes too and fell in love with some of the characters already! ♥

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
While away from home on vacation myself and a close friend watched the entirety of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood in a matter of days - three and a half, back to back, to be exact. I'd given her the complete series on bluray as late Christmas/birthday gifts earlier this year and she wanted to watch them with me, but we only had four days max to work with and it'd be months before I could visit her again... So we went for it, and we succeeded. 8'D

Having now seen both the original Anime series and Brotherhood, I can definitely say that Fullmetal Alchemist is a solid watch no matter which series you're watching. Both have excellent characterization, interesting plots where they diverge and lovely storytelling, great action, amazing music, and some really cool concepts.

Don't ask me which series that I liked better because I can't and won't choose. I liked both of them for different reasons. I felt the pacing of the original series fit a bit better as an Anime but I liked how fleshed out certain characters were in Brotherhood (especially Roy and Winry). I found the struggles that the characters went through meaningful in both plots, and regardless of which series is technically more canon I felt that the concept of the homunculi from the original Anime was just as interesting as that of Brotherhood's. Both of them really are great shows in their own ways.

Fullmetal Alchemist truly deserves all the praise that it gets. It was time well spent. :)

AzureEdge

✧luzrov rulay✧
I suddenly am up to Kyo Kara Maoh episode 56. How did this happen?I seriously haven't binged watched anything since Trinity Blood and Hellsing, but I suddenly found this anime from comments of a manga I was reading online. Well, to me It's one of the best Demon Anime's I've ever watched, and I'd love to find some other anime's exactly like that. I need more Demon Anime's. There really isn't enough.
I plan on finishing Kyo Kara Maoh and getting up to date with Hetalia, SAO and watching these~
The Irregular Magic Highschool,Darker than black,Caanan,Psycho Pass,Kill La Kill,Kaze no Stigma, Madoka Magica,And I'll be patiently waiting for the 31st, for the Tales of Zesteria Anime Special~

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Hi I am here to drop in and say you should all watch Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (or Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun). If you like a good shoujo comedy, this is the show for you~ It's actually really decent! They poke fun at a lot of the archetypes commonly found in shoujo mangas, and spends a good amount of time looking at how all the main characters interact with each other instead of the main male and female protagonists. It's really cute and I loved it!

For those who want a more serious anime to follow, I also really liked Aldonoah Zero and Zankyou no Terror. The latter is actually one of the best animes I've seen all year, if not THE best, and I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone. Just watch out for those endings though ;D

Others I've watched these past two or three seasons include SAO II, Akame ga Kill, Inou Battle Within Everday Life (or When Supernatural Battles Become Commonplace), No Game No Life, Free! Eternal Summer, And Bladedance Of Elementalers. Of the above, I also suggest Inou Battle Within Everyday Life because it's pretty funny and has some actually deep moments, No Game No Life because I just REALLY love the art style and setting (though the fanservice is a bit much), and a few select episodes of SAO, particularly everything from Episode 19 on.

Actually, I should probably talk about SAO :x While I highly disliked episodes 15-18 and found them boring and meaningless, the first half of the season was actually kind of cool only because I am biased for Sinon. 19 onwards, however, deserves its own mention. I really feel for Asuna whenever her mother shows up, and I both love and hate the anime for it. EVERYTHING her mother says is just immensely similar to everything and anything my own mother has said. Many times I actually had to stop the anime and go do something else because I just got too emotional and had too many memories swarming back to me x_x You don't see much of her mom after episode 20, but episode 22 was so incredibly heartwrenching that I just... ugh. I couldn't stop crying ;; I still dislike SAO as a whole, but these particular episodes kind of struck a chord with me so yeah.

FalChromiforme

Formerly Aurora Beam
Because I'm back into anime, I'll post on this thread
My anime list looks like this: Psycho Pass 2. That is all. I don't see why nobody on this thread has mentioned it yet, because it's such a great anime.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
So. In the last two days I've watched Senki Zesshō Symphogear and its second season, Senki Zesshō Symphogear G.

I heard about the series from Sami and some of the concepts piqued my curiosity - so I decided to give the thing a watch. As it turns out, Symphogear was created by Akifumi Kaneko - better known for the Wild Arms series, which is one of my favorite game series on the planet - and zark on a stick, does it show. A lot of things in Symphogear are evocative of major themes in Wild ARMs and some things are blatant self-aware references. There is a touch of the later Wild Arms games in the show's musical style as well - the composer for the show, Noriyasu Agematsu, was the co-composer of the music for Wild Arms 4, Wild Arms XF and the composer for Wild Arms 5 - and as you can probably tell from the name, music and songs are a major element of the show and the soundtrack certainly carries it well.

Otherwise, the show itself can be pretty much described as Madoka la Kill: The Musical.

It's very anime, with the typical character archetypes and cliches (there is a side character that lampshades this - one of the main character's schoolmates is a huge anime fan and she keeps wondering why the hell are all these anime things happening in what she perceives as real life xD) - not much new there - but perhaps the same can be said about nearly all anime. The series itself is very much enjoyable and people who have played the WA games can definitely have fun playing Spot The Reference. xD

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
The series itself is very much enjoyable and people who have played the WA games can definitely have fun playing Spot The Reference. xD

After everything you've said about it elsewhere, and everything above (particularly regarding the music), I think I'll definitely give it a look at some point. :3

In other news, I wanted to finally do another big ol' list of what I've recently finished and am currently watching. Like usual, I picked up quite a few new shows this past quarter but I've also been working through a number of backlog series, too. Then I have four more shows that I've been rewatching with friends and family. Lots of variety and different genres represented here. ^^

My current lists looks like this (English names based on Crunchyroll's listings):

Recently finished

• Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (part 1)
  • When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace
  • Akame ga Kill!
  • Sword Art Online II
  • Amagi Brilliant Park
  • Pokemon Best Wishes! Dekorora Adventure
  • Wolf Girl and Black Prince
  • Chaika: The Coffin Princess - Avenging Battle

Currently watching
  • Log Horizon 2
  • Your Lie in April
  • Shirobako
  • Parasyte -the maxim-
  • Fairy Tail 2
  • The Seven Deadly Sins
  • World Trigger (episode 9)
  • One Piece (episode 106)
  • Witch Craft Works (episode 7)
  • Vampire Knight (episode 8.)
  • Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club (episode 2)
  • Pokemon XY (episode 2)

Currently rewatching
  • The Pet Girl of Sakurasou
  • Kill la Kill
  • Nisekoi
  • Toradora
  • Fairy Tail (first series)
I'd also been watching Sailor Moon Crystal but stalled it at episode 8. Initially I'd given it a go due to nostalgia for the original Anime but the nostalgia wasn't strong enough to stop me from facepalming at this reboot. Repeatedly. @Demelza once asked me "Why are you still watching it?" and I finally asked myself the same question... Haven't gone back since. xp

So, yar. Lots of stuff. I've been enjoying and enjoyed the majority of the series listed above but Chaika was hard to stay interested in at times (not to mention that its finale was somewhat rushed), World Trigger suffers from horrible production issues (great source material but very crap budget/adaption), and I'm dying for Fairy Tail 2 to finish its current filler arc. Shirobako and Your Lie in April have been both a joy to watch, Parasyte is a solid and very intelligent horror series (only started it yesterday but caught up to the most recent episode already), and I really enjoyed Amagi Brilliant Park (minus the final episode, which was fairly pointless and served no purpose xp).

I suppose that I should give Sword Art Online II a mention as well but, to be fair, it was so chopped up that it didn't really feel like a proper season. My favourite arc of the three, the Mother's Rosario arc, felt a bit brief, too. I think that's moreso an issue with the source material than the Anime adaption though, possibly?

Can't wait for the next season of Durarara!! to begin. :D

AzureEdge

✧luzrov rulay✧
I finally finished Kyo Kara Maoh, and it was amazing~I need more Demon Anime's. There really isn't enough of that genre. I also watched the Tales of Zesteria Anime Special on the 31st, and it was stunning. I can't wait for the game to come out~!
I started Magica Madoka, and I like the plot. Currently up to Episode 3. I didn't really start on the others I said I was going to watched, and started looking for other recommendations, when I stumbled on this: http://kotaku.com/your-complete-winter-2015-anime-guide-1679165924
If you scroll down a bit, you'll see the anime Death Parade. Although it's up to episode 2, It's a must watch, and it's really addicting.

FalChromiforme

Formerly Aurora Beam
Catching upon my favorite anime of all times, Psycho Pass. Although Psycho-Pass 2 came out last November, I haven't had enough time to watch all of the episode, so I've slipped a few behind. Hetalia's new season come out (eventually) so maybe China can actually do something this season!
Also, Azure, on that list, World Break, Tokyo Ghoul and Aldnoah.Zero are all recommendations of mine. My friend asked for beginner animes, though, and I couldn't think of any. I've been in the anime world too long to remember what I watched first. Any recommendations?