• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Help with Scyther

So, let's get to the juicy bits, I've just finished EV training my Scyther in Attack and Speed (he has a Jolly Nature and Technician as his ability). This is in Pearl (I don't know what Generation that classifies as) and I want to use in competitive batteling, to a point*.

I've pretty much decided on his move set (I squander Techinican's power here, but it can change as he's still only about level 18):
Air Slash
Night Slash
X-Scissor

However I'm stuck on whether to take Agility or Swords Dance to up his speed or attack power respectively (Scyther's aren't terribly durable it looks like) so I was hoping for opinions.

*I was challenged by my boyfriend and he's a fairly crazy battler (does anyone remember the exploding shiny Metagross?) and I also don't think I can connect to WiFi at the moment, so it's rather casual fighting.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps, it'll be appericated.

Hmm from what I can see none of the three moves you chose would be affected by technician. Technician only boosts moves with power of 60 or less and all of those are just a tad over that I beleive.

Listing power of 60 moves that Scyther can learn (skipping out the truely useless ones like false swipe):
-Pursuit
-Quick Attack
-Double-Hit
-Swift
-Silver Wind
-Thief
-Aerial Ace

That isnt a great deal to work with but overall I would say it falls down to Quick attack, Pursuit, Aerial Ace and Double hit.

Aerial Ace becomes a very strong Stab thanks to technician so I would definatly go with that oer Air Slash. Adding X-Scissor for the seconday stab move is a must. As for the last two I would consider boing for Brick Break over Night slash since it covers Scyther's major weakness being Rock types. Then you can either go for Swords dance or Night Slash if you want to keep it. Overall I think Scyther has enough speed for casual play without need for Agility.

Hope this helped ^_^

Thanks for that, I missed noticing Scyther's weakness to rock. I read at Marriland (how reputable is this site, it seems to have been rather useful to me in the past) that Techinician affects moves power 70 and under, but it doesn't matter as I do have another Scyther with Swarm, which could be fun.

Xanthier also told me that a Ninjask with 'attacks' like Baton Pass and Swords Dance could be beneficial (if only when covered by a Subsitute) to a team for... casual-competitive play?

Ninjask is pretty cool but watch out there for another big rock weakness :p Stealth Rock in particular. Jolteon can make a similar batton pass without sharing weakness with Scyther.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Just as a note: A Liechi-bearing ninjask functions just fine in Stealth Rock, though you'll pretty well only get one use out of it XD

I'd like to point out Rock smash as a possibility, though it's still fairly weak, it does get a technician boost and has a 50% chance of lowering defense.
Compare that to the level of defense most rock/Steel types have and that Brick Break won't often OHKO them anyway.. especially taking your Jolly nature into perspective.

I'd much rather switch, but with Scyther's typing, Stealth Rock is a major pain and that may not always be an option. I like the chance at weakening whatever is out beyond just HP damage before being KO'd if that's the case XD

Rock Smash has a power of 60 after the boost, and Brick Break 75; Rock Smash will hit rocks for the same power as X-Scissor will, except for the 50% defense lowering chance, and will still hit Steel better.

All that said, Brick break is still the better choice most likely... It just depends on your tastes in battle XD
If you're down to just a couple of pokemon or most of your team is physical, Rock Smash can bring the saving grace to a match.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Here's my ideas for Scyther:

Scyther @ Focus Sash/Salac Berry
Jolly
Technician

- Aerial Ace
- Rock Smash/Brick Break
- Counter/X-Scissor/Pursuit/Thief
- Swords Dance

Aerial Ace + STAB + Technician is a must-have for any Scyther moveset. A fighting-type move is essential to avoid being walled by Steel-types - Like Ruko said, Rock Smash is a viable choice here due to Technician and the 50% defense drop, which is incredibly reliable and will also eventually force any physical walls to switch out to reset the Defense drops. Swords Dance to increase your Attack, and the third move can very really - if you run the Focus Sash, Counter is a sneaky option to go for and will almost always be a OHKO on anything that triggers the Sash. If you run Salac Berry, Counter loses its viability, but Scyther has plenty of other moves to pick from - X-Scissor provides double-STAB with Aerial Ace, Pursuit can catch out anyone trying to escape from Scyther and Thief is a surprise option for when you've used your Salac Berry up.

And, just to be totally unoriginal:

Scyther @ Salac Berry
Adamant/Jolly
Any ability (both are useless for this set)

- Reversal
- Endure
- Swords Dance
- Night Slash

Standard Endure/Reversal set. Swords Dance up, Endure the killing blow to trigger Salac, and start mowing people down with Reversal. Night Slash any Ghosts that come your way.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
I think I might can one-up that reversal set.
If you can throw X-Scissor in on the Reversal set, you'll have a nice 180 powered attack once you're down to Reversal-sweeping levels... if you have Swarm for an ability anyway.

You'd have to rebreed another Scyther to get the ideal bug for this set [Adamant with Swarm], but I feel a need to mention it having seen the endure/reversal set XD

Scyther @ Salac / Liechi Berry
Adamant / Jolly Nature
Swarm Ability
-Substitute
-Reversal
-X-Scissor
-Night Slash

Substitute is more reliable to me than Endure, given scyther's speed. Endure leaves you open to status, and the possibility of not being put into critical health. Scyther has higher defenses than people give him credit for XD

Though X-Scissor will really only be more useful than the other two attacks on Psychic and grass types once you're at nil health, it gives you a more reliable move that the endure set lacks in the event of Sandstorm or otherwise. It's always a plus if you substitute on a status and get a free attack too.

Well, isn't it just jolly good I have so many Scythers? I happen to have another Jolly with Technician and an Adamant with Swarm, so I can try your set Ruko ^.^

I'm so green at this that I've never really considered using berries beyond Poffins. Thanks for all the help (I have an excuse to breed Evees again as well, a Baton Passing Jolteon sounds like fun).