• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

"Information" from the Prima Pokedex

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Stuff from The Book:

Yanking a Pikachu's tail is never a good idea. Beside the fact that it can be an electrifying experience, it's also prone to deliver a nasty bite.
(And Pikachu learns Bite when, exactly?)

Bulbasaur always has its lunch with it, thanks to the photosynthetic bulb on its back.
(And as a science teacher, can I just say that photosynthesis takes place in the leaves of plants! Specifically, the palisade cells! (and spongy mesophyll and guard cells, but to a lesser extent). Bulbs are normally buried under the ground, so why oh why would a bulb have chlorophyll in, when it never gets to see sunlight? ARGH!!)

This one is pretty gross...
As if the stench from a Grimer wasn't enough, it also leaves bits of itself behind as it slides about the ground, which gradually become new Grimer.
Ewww!

There are others, but I figured we already know that we know how healthy a Charmander is by how much the flame on its tail flickers, and that an Abra teleports away, etc.

The one thing that wasn't in the Prima Pokedex book that I'd hoped for was the couple of lines of text about each pkmn that appears in the Pokedex in the game. They're different in each of the games (even between Ruby and Sapphire and FR/LG) and sometimes they have really amusing or bizarre stuff in 'em. Like Fire Red declaring that Oddish's Latin name is Oddium wanderus.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
The funny thing about the Prima Pokedex book is that the parts that seem to be dodgy because they're from a prerelease version of the game relate to Colosseum - which has been out for ages, compared to FR/LG! Some of the town names are wrong (probably they are Japanese language names transliterated into English rather than the English language names), if names of Shadow Pokemon trainers are given they're usually wrong (for the same reason?), and most amusingly, Team Snagem is called "Snatch". Hence several of the Pokemon locations are given as "Snatch Hideout" - which the 14 y.o. boy at the back of my brain found utterly hilarious.