• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Is there anywhere for Clans or Anything on here??

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Just so you guys know, I'm reading this thread and I completely understand what you're asking for here. :) I'm going to investigate how we might implement such a feature, but be warned that it is a big feature, and isn't something that I can easily add without a great deal of work. If this does happen, then it will probably be a long time until it does.

That said, if anyone else would like this feature, please feel free to chime in – the response to threads like this do directly affect my plans for what to add to the site in future, and I'm always eager to find out what you guys want for the site. :)

Even though it's something that would require more than just typical effort, I'm sure that people will love this when it's made. It's a pretty cool idea now that I think about it.

TheStargazer

Previously LunaLuma
I think a con would be people would feel left out (I tend to feel left out a lot in life... [It is partially my fault for being an unsocial sarcastic teenager who has no life outside here])But it seems like an interesting concept. I would enjoy having this feature on Pokecharms. :)

I know this is a somewhat old topic, but it's only on its first page (and Teapot said that the replies would affect plans for the future) so here I go...

Like so many other people in this thread- I think "clans" or groups or whatever you want to call them would be a great idea. Look, I've already got different group convos that I feel are close to this concept. However, having an official group would not only give me a more defined sense of belonging, but also promote my group-members. If someone visits my page, and likes my stuff, they may wander over to a group-members page, hoping to find more of the same. Or vice-versa. They see a group-members page and come to mine.

This feature would also help shared universes in the same way I mentioned above. I've started a Written Works shared universe [shameless plug go read Batman and Green Arrow: Eternal, link in spoiler] with Eeveechu151 and a few other mystery writers that will come in soon. We obviously already have a convo, but having an "ETERNAL GROUP/CLAN" would link us together even more in other people's minds. It would give us (much needed) publicity.

Thirdly, it would bring on a stronger sense of community. I touched on this a bit above, when I said a clan would link people together more. Pokecharms is already a great place, with wonderful people. But something about that official group title would bring on a new sense of belonging.

Next, to play devil's advocate, clans/groups could definitely cause exclusion. Like LunaLuma said, they tend to feel left out in life (it should be said they still want this implemented). Clans would magnify this feeling. I don't know how to work around this, besides maybe having a Newbie Clan that all new members- or members that don't have a clan- belong to.

Lastly, another con... It's not needed, necessarily. Are clans/groups needed? No. I can already communicate freely with anyone. Then again, was this site needed? No. The earth would have kept spinning without it. But it was definitely a welcome addition to our lives. Pokecharms was an outlet for (again a shameless plug) my Batman: Eternal series. It gave me a place to be myself. In real life, I hide my enjoyment of everything Pokemon. So, while it's not necessary, it would be a fun extra feature.

@Eeveechu151 since I mentioned you earlier, what are your thoughts?

I'm in complete agreement with Mockingchu's statement above.

I think Clans could be useful for giving people more to do on the site and more reason to stick around. I've had a lot of my friends end up leaving because there's just "nothing that interests them anymore". Clan activities and events could change that completely, in my eyes.

Another thing is that Clans would be a perfect way to implement a different feature I've discussed with Teapot in the past - multi-writer Written Work series. It's something that I've personally been feeling Charms needs for big group projects, writing and otherwise.

Also, private Clan RPs could be fun. There could even be a few Clan-specific events for if you just want to do something with a few close friends.

But then again, I do see the downside to it - the exclusion problem. While exclusion could happen a lot because of this feature, I still feel that for every group that would exclude others there'd be another Clan accepting practically anyone.

To be fair, though, clans would change the face of the site in many ways. However, it'd still be the same site - just with more to do. And I feel like that's one of the best additions that Charms can have.