• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Jappio's Supposedly Awesome Sprites

I know I haven't been posting anything, but that's because my spriting has been mostly involved with a contest. Now that it's done, I'll post the stuff I'd been entering:

Flan.png

A flan recolor. Was first round, and I just thought this would be silly. I have a Ditto I nicknamed pudding, so that's kind of where the idea came from.

LinaTrainer.png

A 3rd gen style trainer sprite of Lina Inverse from the anime Slayers.

SpindaEvo.png

A remake of my Spinda evo.

xfu7gp.png

Remake of my ice cube Fakemon.

b7giu9.png

A remake of my fire spiny lizard Fakemon.

I know I've been like super slow with updates lately. Not sure why, I just haven't been spriting very often. I've done a little poking around, but no results to show yet. I was working with Poke World, but editing the Koopalings has thus far been obnoxious. I'd link to a video of the work I did on it, but it's pretty bad and I'm usually against showing off work that the maker knows is bad. I'll try and tweak it to the best I can do when I'm more ready to tackle that.

Yet I finally finished up the over worlds for that RPG I'm working on. Next up will be battle sprites.

AllprotagonistOverworlds.png

All 8 protagonists are now done. Ryu is the main character, dual swords and wind magic. Raizou is my usual big buff axe and lightning wield Asgardian. Shun-Yu is the wacky Chinese Hopping Vampire. Moonblade is a mystic sword user type. Ray is a mixture of black and white magic. Shroomette is a blatant visual rip off and healer. Vargas is the team mimic, he copies spells and what not. Ira is a black mage. The columns sort of represent the character owners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFVo_MhJxiU

I didn't show it here, but I did make a video showing previous work on Arbok. It was really bad though and I uploaded it more as a "I suck" type deal, and didn't feel that it was something I had to go showing off. Yet I've made some improvements I like so I can finally move on from there. Weezing and Meowth are next probably.

The following is nothing serious. Just a set of stuff that I end up making when I'm bored and sitting around with an open MS Paint window. I really need to learn to better use my time.

Some of these are I think a couple of years old too, but figured I'd grab whatever has been saved and drop it on a page. Trust me, this page would be like 5 times larger if over half the time I didn't just close the window without saving. These are so non-purposeful, and I only save them on a whim.

ChunkofRandomStuff.png

I know it's been awhile since I've posted anything along these lines. These were all made for a contest, and since it's over, time to gather them together and post them.

14kd2fn.png

Here are a set of some Fakemon. Some you may have seen already, but I have done a bit of tuning up and made a new one.

nqa9lt.png

One of those Trainer+Pokemon sprites.

6ntwkp.png

For a retyping round.

2v0laar.png

Overshading round.

24d0jzr.png

I forget the theme, but I think it was some type of editing round.

2uthmdu.png

A baby Pokemon round, so I skipped ahead on my remake list to get to this little guy.

2ewcvap.png

A trainer sprite round.

Here's just a little something I ended up making by mistake. Sometimes I'll open paint, draw a few lines, make some dumb pattern, and close it off without saving. This time I ended up drawing something that looked like an upper torso, then I drew some lines to make the dress shape, and then I realized it looked a lot like that humanoid Toadette I always make.

So yeah, that's why this exists. I took my doodle and went with it since it wasn't looking too bad for once.

Shroomette.png

So, some of you might remember that there was a little rabbit Fakemon I did that had a hat that was on fire. Well I ditched the idea for a poison rabbit instead. Ironically, after deciding on that, I ended up having a good reason to give it a similar hat. No evolution anymore, but this little plague rabbit may be a single piece to a set I have an idea for.

Plagbit.png

Also here is a video of me spriting it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=snIWMEaK80M

Some more Fakemon work.

I took the bush dragon concept and extended it an extra evolution since I'm dropping the pine-tree Fakemon I made.

2cx4ds.png

I also again figured I'd start up my recording software while I was making the last form for those of you who like seeing the creation process:
http://youtu.be/BKx6umELbEE

Well, I decided I wanted to practice poses, animations, and stuff, so I did some practice.

Ugg, this is a nightmare. I'm usually against posting stuff I know is bad, but this is a case of me not being sure where I went wrong, and I spent too many hours on this otherwise. Not sure if it's the general anatomy I'm messing up, what frames I ended up using, or where I have the sprite itself positioned. Any comments or critique welcomed.

I also have a bunch of the different stages of work I did. Here they are, in order of their creation.

skelerun.gif

MuscRunRough.gif

BetterRun.gif

LadyRun.gif

AnnaRun.gif

AnnaRunDone.gif

I didn't know who to use for the longest time, but I eventually settled on Anna from Fire Emblem. If I had ended up doing better than I ended up with, I might have put in more detail and shading.

Ok, still practicing things like animation. After a tutorial in animating, I'm starting with the very basics now:

BouncingBall.gif

I know it' super simple, but basics are important from what I hear.

BouncingBall.gif
BouncingBall.gif
BouncingBall.gif
BouncingBall.gif
BouncingBall.gif

Ok, so moving on:

For the RPG I'm helping make, I figured I'd use my next step of practice on it. Battle sprites of course need to be made, so I decided to take the protagonist and make him an attack animation.

So obviously, I'm not done. However I'm at a crucial stage right now. Obviously I need to actually sprite the character, and not just his skeleton. Beyond the obvious lack of details though, I need to decide where to speed things up, slow things down, and add frames. This is all a very rough 'WIP' and I'm just sort of looking for some second opinions.

I know I need a frame for bridging between the last and first frames. I'm not sure where to go for the slices though. More frames might slow it down too much. I know animation wise, more would be nice, but on a sprite/game level you don't typically want too many frames in a movement like that, right?

I'm also unsure on things like the poses through them. I did my best to act out these actions, and those are what I felt I was doing, but I'm also not an official sword/axeman.

Oh well, that's why I'm taking a moment to stop an get some thoughts if possible, or in the very least let my head clear and come back to it.

iaza17900587571500.gif

Well, I've finally got some work done.

2z70c95.jpg

Not fully complete yet, however I wanted to get another gauge of how I was doing. Below, I have a comparison of all the different frames I have.

24m58px.jpg

I plan to probably add frame 2 back in. However for the rest... I'm not sure. I've gotten a mix of suggestions of what to do. I think what I have so far technically is passable (I'll have to do this and more for all the characters, so on the laziness side of things, I'd like if things weren't more complex than this). I mean more than 4 frames for a simple RPG attack animation is a bit much.

In general I'm still bad at setting the speed for the actual frames. I think I have something like: 1 - 3 - 3 - 5 - 5b - 7 - 7b - 1.

I don't know if I'm being lazy by not wanting to add more frames. I see where maybe I could add some, but I'm wondering if it's necessary for something as simple as a 16-bit style RPG.

I've missed a few small details on the sprite too I've realized. A tail, the ends of his belt that hang off the front, but I have the basic gist of it all here so far. Also that frame 2 I wanted to re-add.

Comments, critique, or whatever is all welcome of course.

Well, finally done for the most part with it.

Frames have been added, little details I was missing.

Thankfully I realized the other sprites might not be as bad, since they won't involve a dual wielder, and I won't have to do as many frames for everyone.

RyuAttack.gif

Raizouprogress.png

Sorry for the lack of updates. I have been working on something, and that's another battle sprite for that RPG I'm working on. This time, it's my character, Raizou.

This is just a little update to show off how it's coming along. I had a few of the different steps copied to the side, so I figured I'd include those too for the people who like to see that type of stuff.

I'm liking how it's coming out. I don't have hands yet, since those have been tough to get right. Obviously saving something like the axe for later. Still lots more to do of course too like animation of him swinging that thing.

2v9t209.jpg

New Fakemon! This guys name is Cannonleaf, he is a Steel/Plant type.

Also, with this joke post, I think it's time I said goodbye. The spriting scene here seems pretty dead.

Goodbye everyone, it was fun.

Last edited: