• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Private/Closed L'aventure sans titre (A Kalos Journey RP)

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Kyra tilted her head back gently. "Yeah, I'm from Sinnoh. I lived there all my life, until a few months ago when I decided to go see the world. Metaphorically speaking. So I spent a few months in Unova and yeah, today I find myself here. So far everyone seems less determined to knock me over, so that's a good sign."

She stretched, thinking. "Your butterflies are interesting. I've not come across them before. They're Vivillion, aren't they? And yeah, they have beautiful... flapping noises." Kyra lowered her head again, with a sardonic grin on her face. "But seriously, they sound fascinating. I've never heard of Pokémon with such drastic variation before."

"Personally,. I've just got dipshit and dopey over here. The Pokédex says that some Doduo have separate identities and personalities, rather than one mind with two sets of brain matter. Well, that's the case with these two. That's why they have their own names."

She patted the left-most head gently. "This is Alpha. He thinks he's the brains of the outfit. And the other one is Omega, who actually is the brains of the outfit." Ignoring the furious squawk, Kyra continued. "Not too good at battling, though. Can never agree on what to do in time. Once they dodged a Hyper Beam by trying to flee in both directions at the same time. I'm told they fell over and it sailed right over them by sheer luck."

She looked roughly towards where Andrea was sitting.

"What about you? Ever battled before?"

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Andrea imagined the Doduo, Alpha and Omega, trying to dodge a Hyper Beam attack while in a battle. The image in her mind of them twisted around each other before falling was quite ludicrous.

"A few of times, I guess, nothing too big though," she responded. Io squeaked in response, and she pat the Vivillon on the head. "Yeah, this girl here, Io, short for Ionian, has been one of my main battlers, along with another Vivillon, Aeolian, and my Eevee..." Her voice trailed off as she remembered the antics of her one non-lepidoptera Pokemon on her team, and her eyes glazed over. Feeling Io roughly massage her arm, she came back to and shook her head. "But yeah, I've really only had a few practice runs with my dad and at the Trainer School in my city. I'm not great myself, since I've lost almost all but two battles, and that was either because Dad felt sorry for me or my opponent just kept trying to use Sand Attack. Apparently, using that on a Pokemon that has Compoundeyes just doesn't work," she said with a hint of a smile in her voice while the Vivillon in her lap chirped happily. "I guess I just need more practice, especially if I want to do the Gym Leader challenge.

"Speaking of which, are you going to challenge them, too? And, um, have you battled any gym leaders in Sinnoh or Unova?"

Last edited:

Rex

Resident Furry
Liam grinned, "You liked that? I thought it was a pretty good idea myself, though obviously it wasn't enough." The Trainer pulled his notebook out of his knapsack and flipped it to the page on Coumarine. "Anyway, according to my map, the Pokemon Center is this way... I'm sure you probably knew that, though."

---

Liam lead the way into the Coumarine City Pokemon Center a few minutes later. The layout was a lot different than what Liam was used to from Sinnoh. The nurse's desk was front and center, and behind it was a doorway leading into where Pokemon were restored. Around the corner to the right was a small shop. Likewise, around to the left was a small waiting area.

"Welcome to the Coumarine City Pokemon Center, how may I be of assistance?" The local nurse spoke with what Liam assumed was a more clear example of the local accent. He was actually starting to wonder how he sounded to the local populace.

"Three for recovery," Liam answered, handing over Richard and Vector's Pokeballs and motioning for Gad to do the same.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Gad nodded, handing Zorya's Pokéball over to the nurse as well - who smiled brightly and produced a pair of smallish, metallic trays from behind the desk. These had a clear, sliding cover and six slots in a polymer setting within them that were clearly designed for Pokéballs in their minimized form. A thin line of what looked like circuitry along the sides of the trays suggested they were designed to slot into something - a Pokémon Center's healing machine.

If Gad remembered correctly, the healing machines utilized certain wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation to stimulate cellular division and regeneration in a Pokémon, boosting their self-healing to the point of full recovery taking minutes rather than potentially days. A bio-scan was first initiated to ensure there were no deeper injuries requiring more intensive treatment, or situations requiring specialized procedures - but owing to the natural robustness of Pokémon, such was rarely the case - and the standard regeneration program was sufficient for mending most injuries sustained in a routine battle.

The nurse placed Zorya's Pokéball in one tray and Liam's Pokéballs in another - one tray per trainer, standard procedure - and carried them over to the machines, setting them to work and returning to her desk, where she could monitor the status of the healing process from a display and see to other incoming patients.

"They'll be good as new in a few minutes." the nurse nodded, the smile never leaving her face.

"Thank you." Gad nodded. Now it was just a matter of waiting.

Rex

Resident Furry
Now that their Pokemon were being taken care of, Liam felt it was as good a time as any to talk. He stepped a bit away from the counter to keep out of any other Trainer's way, before turning to Gad.

"So, you said you were going to try the Gym challenge?" he asked, "I'm actually on my way to Anistar City, but I was thinking of swinging through Santalune and Snowbelle and trying out the Gyms there. Looks like we'll probably need a lot more practice first, though."

Liam glanced over to the nurse's station, before looking back at Gad, "You know, I've never seen a Pokemart within a center before. Are all the Pokemon Centers in Kalos designed like that?"

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
"I haven't seen much of Kalos yet, but I'd imagine so." Gad replied "I know they're like that in Unova - and usually all the Pokémon centers in a region follow the same sort of pattern. Guess they thought it was more efficient. Certainly more convenient."

He stretched lightly.

"And yes, the Gym Challenge is certainly a part of my plans, although I'm still not sure about the order I'm going to do them in - I only planned as far ahead as Lumiose so far. Between the Coastal and Mountain area there's plenty of ground to cover."

Rex

Resident Furry
"Yeah, it's just a little weird to see," Liam nodded, "Kind of squished in the back though, isn't it?"

"I probably won't press my luck against the Lumiose Gym Leader, I don't think Vector could carry me, and it isn't fair to him to make him try," Liam sighed, "but that's not too big a problem, looking at maps of the region, it appears that all roads eventually lead to Lumiose City, so I'll probably have a couple chances at it, depending on how things in Anistar go."

The Trainer considered telling Gad about his mission. It certainly couldn't hurt, but he didn't know if it was something he should potentially involve others in. Perhaps it would be best to wait and see if Gad showed any interest first. Besides, there were other, more pressing things, he needed to ask Gad.

"What's a good way to make money around here? I'm kind of flat broke, right now. Ship tickets are expensive!" He chuckled, but the prospect of not having any money was slightly worrying. He didn't have any supplies to see him to Anistar, or anywhere else, for that matter.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
"Best place to start is to ask the handy quest board." Gad replied, a small grin coming to his face "Well, it's not actually called that, of course, but virtually every city has one where trainers gather - usually the Pokémon Center. They're notice boards where locals post odd jobs they need done - you may be able to find something that you can do with Richard or Vector."

He paused and fiddled with his necklace for a moment, looking thoughtful.

"Other than that I'm not really sure. You can find all sorts of things out in the wild that the right people could be interested in buying - if you know where to look, of course. I've also heard of a mansion somewhere on Route 7 where trainers can battle for money and status in some kind of fancy fight club - but I'd imagine you'd probably need some more practice before rushing in to trot with that beast."

Rex

Resident Furry
"A mansion on Route 7?" Liam parroted. The boy dug his notebook out once again, and flipped the pages until he landed on one of that area. "Oh, I see what you're talking about! I was wondering what that place was for. Pretty far away though, even if we were experienced enough to deal with it."

"Excuse me." The Nurse placed two trays back on the counter, one with two Pokeballs and another with just one. "Your Pokemon are doing much better, come back whenever you need to."

Liam nodded thanks to the nurse, before fetching his Pokemon and putting them in his coat pocket. He then grabbed Zorya's Pokeball and offered it to Gad.

"I'm going to get to work, then," he grinned, "Make sure you come back here and show me your shiny new badge when you get it!"

With that, Liam waved, and walked over to the notice board. After jotting down some notes in his notebook, he left the building.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
OOC: FINAL FREAKINGLY. I'm sorry for taking absolutely forever with this post. @_@ It's still not the best I could have churned out, but writing was giving me hell for a long time and I've been otherwise occupied with a lot of stuff. So here's a gym battle.

The first time Gad stepped through the doors of Coumarine City’s gym, it took his breath away.

Carved into the living rocks of the Coumarine hillside and enclosed from above by a geodesic dome of steel-and-glass triangles was a vast circular enclosure, its terraced walls resplendent with vibrantly-colored flowerbeds. The enclosure itself was an immaculately groomed indoor garden, paths of stone mosaic weaving between artfully-arranged patches of plants - flowering bushes and ferns and climbing vines weaving around pillars and arches of marble and metal. Water cascaded through channels along the terraces to a ring-shaped central channel framing the garden enclosure, small bridges joining the enclosure to the stairways that ran along the terraces, connecting them to one another – and at the center of it all lay a grassy arena, its surface occasionally disrupted by artfully arranged worn rocks, clearly used to create variations in the battlefield. The glass-filtered light and the water made the air warm and humid, but not overly so – sophisticated climate control systems maintaining a carefully-balanced equilibrium – and the plants, judging by their healthy looks and vibrant colors, were clearly very lovingly cared for.

It was a beautiful, peaceful, and quiet place - save for the sound of flowing water and his own footprints against the path, briefly shifting from stone to wood as he crossed the channel into the garden proper on one of the bridges. He walked slowly, taking in the sights and the scents of flowers and leaves as he approached the arena, occasionally pausing to admire corners that particularly caught his eyes. He was studying the intertwining double helices of ivy on a mossy pillars set amidst golden and purple flowering bushes when a gravelly voice startled him from his reverie.

“I take it that yeh like it here, sprout.”

Gad turned sharply to find himself face to face with an old man that was definitely not there a moment ago, a wry half-grin on his wrinkled face.

He was bald - save for the white, whisker-like tufts of his beard – and clad in a gardener’s outfit in dark greens and blacks, an orange scarf around his neck and an ivy cap resting on his head. He was somewhat bent with age, and yet his presence radiated a kind of inner strength and serenity that suggested that this was not a man to be underestimated – a subtle sensation made much less subtle by the truly enormous pair of pruning scissors he held in one of his gloved hands. He tilted his head a little to the side, patiently waiting for a reply.

“Yeah, I do. Very much so, actually.” Gad nodded, a smile coming to his face.

“Heh. Good. I like it here too. It’s always nice to see people appreciative of my work here.“ the old man grinned a little wider, then shook his head with a wistful sigh “Not enough young people these days know how to appreciate a peaceful stroll through a garden. Always in such a hurry…”

He appeared lost in thought for a moment.

“Ah, well.” In a single fluid motion, the old man tossed his pair of scissors upwards and caught them again with accuracy and grace one would never expect from a man of his years. “Can’t be helped. That’s the world for yeh right there. So. What can I do for yeh, sprout?”

“Well, I came here to challenge the gym.” Gad replied “Are you, by any chance, the Gym Leader?”

“That’s me,” Replied the old man “Ramos’ the name and this gym is my pride and joy. Yeh have the look of a trainer who has been around a battle or two – but yeh still look a little wet behind the ears. Is this yer first gym battle?”

“Guilty as charged.” Gad nodded

“Well, then.” Ramos grinned. “I’ll be sure to make it a memorable one.”

~*~
As the trainer and the gym leader took their position on the battlefield, so did a referee – an auburn-haired, freckled, bespectacled young woman clad in a forest-green gardener’s tunic who seemed oddly familiar to Gad in a way he couldn’t quite place. She announced the rules of the battle – each trainer was to use up to two Pokémon, no time limit, only the challenger is allowed to switch mid-battle. Having only one Pokémon put him at a disadvantage, but he hoped the fact the Larvesta’s types both being effective against his opponent’s specialty could compensate.

The gym leader, stepping onto the field, flung his pruning scissors up and caught them again before sinking their blades into the grassy ground in a confident display. This was his turf – and though as a gym leader he had to match his opponent’s skills and strengths and provide a fair challenge, it was clear that he was not going to be an easy victory – and his challenger would not have it any other way.

“Let’s get this started, then, sprout – I choose Skiploom.” The old man grinned, producing a Pokéball and tossing it into the air, revealing his first Pokémon – a small, green and round creature, a pair of long ears flapping nearly wing-like as it floated gently in midair while a yellow-petalled flower rotated atop its head like the rotor of a helicopter. Gad recognized the creature as a partial Flying-type - which gave it an unpredictable edge. He would have to get a feel for what it could do.

“Alright, Here we go. Zorya, Arise!” the challenger nodded, releasing the freshly-healed Larvesta into the battlefield, determination sparking in her eyes yet again.

“The challenger shall make the first move,” announced the referee – giving a small nod to both trainers, then, with a raised arm, cued the battle’s beginning.

“Okay, Zorya, let’s start this off with String Shot!” Gad called out, and the small fire-type complied, taking aim at the Skiploom and emitting a thick stream of silk threads from her mouth – but the nimble creature was no longer there, whisked away by a gust of wind that seemed to sparkle as it hurtled towards the Larvesta, leaving no lasting impression but a slight ruffle of her fur. The Larvesta shook her head in mild annoyance, attempting another volley – one that was similarly dodged.

“Yeh’re gonna have to do better than that to limit Skiploom’s mobility, sprout.” Ramos’ grin widened “My turn. Skiploom, Leech Seed!”

“Dodge it with Flame Charge!” Gad countered – and just in time. With another gust of sparkling wind the Cottonweed Pokémon was upon Zorya, doing a roll in midair and emitting a small cluster of small brown seeds from the center of its flower as it was turned downwards. The Larvesta’s horns burst into vibrant flames as the bug-type jetted away from the seeds’ trajectory, several of the seeds caught in the wake of the flame and igniting with a crackling noise. High mobility and Leech Seed potential. I can’t risk drawing this battle out. “Now Flame Charge again!”

“Yer Larvesta may be moving faster, but that still ain’t enough for it to land a hit!” the Gym Leader grinned – and with another glittery gust the Skiploom was on the move, gliding nearly effortlessly out of the Larvesta’s path with a light tumble…

“And U-Turn!” Gad suddenly announced, and with a burst of flame the Larvesta abruptly changed direction, slamming into the floating Grass-Type before it had a chance to respond. The Skiploom screeched as it was knocked to the ground, bouncing off the surface and tumbling back to its feet, the Larvesta dropping to the ground softly and landing by her trainer’s side, charging back into the field of battle as its opponent lightly shook itself, re-orienting for a moment. This was his chance to KEEP it on the ground!

“ Quick, before it takes off again, String Shot!” Gad ordered – and Zorya complied, emitting a jet of silk again, entangling the Skiploom’s disoriented body.

“Now that was some quick thinking there.” Ramos nodded “But Skiploom is far from out… and don’t forget that while it can fly, it’s still a Grass-type… And frail lil’ blades o’ grass can break through concrete! Grass Knot!”

Sure enough, the Skiploom ceased its struggling and seemed to drive its forepaws into the grassy ground of the arena, a green glow suddenly emanating from its red eyes, slowly spreading across the field. Gad remembered reading something about Grass Knot being particularly effective to trip large, heavy creatures – a lighter Pokémon like Larvesta would barely be affected at all – let alone one that had a double resistance to a grass move. What was the leader playing at? Trapped as it were, the Skiploom would find it difficult to avoid an incoming fire move – which would be Gad’s best bet against the creature, its Flying-Type negating its weakness to the Larvesta’s Bug-Type moves. But there was always the chance that it would use its vantage point to plant a Leech Seed…

There was only one approach vector – ablaze, and without letting Grass Knot a chance to trip it.

“Zorya, Flame Wheel!”, the trainer said – and sure enough, the Larvesta’s horns burst into flames and she tucked her head down, rolling forward straight towards the Cottonweed Pokémon, which made no visible sign of planning to get out of there. The gym leader’s grin only widened – and Gad suddenly realized that he may have rolled straight into a trap.

“I thought yeh’d do that.” Ramos smirked “Now watch!”

Something green and glowing snaked its way along the sides of the flame wheel’s path as rather than tripping the Larvesta from straight ahead, a series of thick grass-tangles formed at irregular intervals bumping the rolling Zorya from its sides, disrupting its balance and momentum. What started as a Flame Wheel attack was now teetering precariously in an attempt to right itself - and eventually failing, the Torch Pokémon flopping to the ground and rolling, its flames sputtering as it came to a halt, its body suddenly snared by another tangle of grass as to Gad’s horror the Skiploom broke its sticky bonds and took off in a blindingly-fast dash, slamming into the entangled Larvesta again and again from multiple directions in succession. He recognized that move: Acrobatics, a powerful Flying-type move that increased in strength when its user held no items – and one that unless he did something fast would spell certain doom for Zorya.

“Zorya, burn your way out of there!” he called out, and the Larvesta, gathering all the strength she could under the Skiploom’s relentless attack, emitted a sharp cry and unleashed searing jets of flame in every possible direction her horns could emit in a single explosive burst that caught the attacking Skiploom head-on, the force of the impact knocking it forcibly to the ground, its body singed – face clenched in pain at what was indubitably a very nasty burn. The binding ties of Grass Knot and the patch of grass that held them burned away, leaving a deep, charred scar on the battlefield as the Larvesta – battered, bruised but somehow still holding on - righted herself, glaring defiantly at the Skiploom, the Cottonweed Pokémon glaring back through gritted teeth before another ripple of pain claimed its footing, the little Grass/Flying-Type collapsing to the ground, exhausted.

“Skiploom is unable to battle.” The referee announced “The Challenger wins the first round.”

“Well, now.” The Gym Leader smiled, returning the Skiploom to its ball and nodding at it with a quiet smile and a soft ‘thank you’ before turning his eyes to Gad, a serious expression taking the place of his characteristic wry grin “Yeh managed to work yer way out of that one, too… But I still have another Pokémon, and yer Larvesta isn’t looking so bright an’ chirpy. What’re yeh gonna do, sprout? Are we gonna continue this battle, or do yeh want to try again some other time? ‘s up to you.”

He was right. Zorya definitely looked rather spent – her clash with the Skiploom has left her rather worse for wear. But her blue eyes burned as fiercely as they did in the start of the battle – and when he gazed at her questioningly, a subtle nod and tiny sparks of flames emitted from her horns gave him the answer he sought. She was going to fight so long as she still can.

“Zorya’s willing to go on and therefore so am I.” Gad nodded, and the Gym Leader nodded in return, a grin coming back to his lips as he produced another Pokéball. “I like yer attitude, but let’s see if yeh can back it up. I choose Gogoat!

Anyone who lived in the proximity of Fourrage Road would recognize the beast that took its place on the battlefield - the illustrious Baa de Mer ranch served as a home for its kind for generations. Gogoats were large ungulates covered in shaggy brown-and-white fur, a thick bushy mane of leaves running along their chest, back and tail, and long, backward-curving horns that always made Gad think of some kind of biological motorcycle handlebars. This particular individual was obviously well-cared for – its coat was glossy, its eyes were bright and alert and there was a certain spring in its step as it trotted onto the field. It would not be an easy foe to tackle, especially in Zorya’s current condition... but that gave him an idea – one that could even the playing field and make this battle potentially winnable. He’d have to time this just right…

“Take it down.” The gym leader nodded, and the Mount Pokémon charged, head lowered, preparing to ram the Larvesta with a reckless tackle. Zorya turned her eyes to Gad, awaiting his next move with a look of confusion – a look that changed into devious determination as the trainer returned the Larvesta’s gaze, then turned his eyes to the incoming threat. Zorya nodded and braced herself, sparks of flame dancing around her horns preparing herself for launch as the Gogoat’s hooves thundered against the grassy arena, its body almost glowing with momentum-

“Now! Leech Life!”

A fierce burst of flames launched the Larvesta upwards in a graceful arc, landing on the Gogoat’s back and hanging onto its back, she buried her face in the Grass-type’s mane, wriggling through it until finally she found a spot to sink a pair of sharp mandibles concealed in her mouth, piercing through skin and flesh and feasting on the blood she managed to draw. The Gogoat emitted a sharp bleat, bucking wildly and attempting to yank the Larvesta away by wrapping vines around her abdomen and pulling hard. The Larvesta, in response, wriggled deeper in, strengthening her grip, vitality coursing through her body as her blood meal nourished rapid cellular regeneration processes. If she could hold on a little longer-

“Feisty lil’ bugger, yer Larvesta is, but yeh should be more careful about where yeh aim yer attacks. Gogoat, Razor Leaf!”

The Gogoat ceased its bucking and with a sound of rustling a change took place in the mane – the leaves that comprised it seemed to stand on end, an unnatural sheen taking their edges as they burst every which way, knocking the Larvesta away in a cloud of cutting edges – and while her type saved her from the brunt of the attack, it was enough to force her to let go – which was enough for the Gogoat’s vines to pull her away and slam her to the ground below.

“Now Bulldoze!” Ramos ordered and the Gogoat reared up, and preparing to stomp the Larvesta with its hooves – a move whose damage would only be augmented by the shockwaves that would be generated by the impact. He had to stop it

“Flame Charge!” Gad called out – and Zorya sprung up, horns igniting into flame as she launched herself upwards, impacting the Gogoat’s exposed underbelly – knocking the large ungulate back into a rolling crash onto its side.

“Now, while it’s down! Bug Buzz!” was the following command, and the Torch Pokémon took her stance, loudly stridulating her horns against the hairs of her coat. Something was amiss – the noise was weaker and the characteristic nearly-visible ripples in the air were missing. Larvesta weren’t known for their Special Attack, but Gad tended to use the move for its disorienting nature, or to attempt a shield against other sound moves – and while the Gogoat was clearly still somewhat taxed by the assault on its senses, the effect should have been much greater. Was the Larvesta’s attack power lowered in some way? Did she -

Overheat. Of course. Many fire-types could push their fire-power to the maximum to produce an exceptionally powerful blaze – but at a cost to their own strength being sapped for a while. The situation with the Skiploom was dire enough for Zorya to use this move as a last resort - some of her strength may have been restored by Leech Life, but she was still weakened – and he got the sneaking suspicion that the Gym Leader would use that against him.

Finally, the Grass-Type rose to its feet – adamantly, if somewhat shakily. Gogoats were hardy creatures and their stamina was one of their strongest assets – a major reason for their early domestication and common historical use as riding beasts. Mammal and Arthropod stared each other down, both breathing heavily as their trainers weighed their options.

“Right, then. It’s been a fine battle, sure as trees grow up. But I think it’s time we put an end to it.” the Gym Leader said with a small nod “What yeh say, sprout? One last all-out attack, winner takes all?”

“Sounds good to me.” Gad nodded in return as both Larvesta and Gogoat took their places at opposite ends of the arena. What was about to happen was pretty clear - When Gogoats battled for dominance in the wild, there was charging and locking of horns, a struggle of determination and strength. Even from across different sides of the arena, the two combatants locked their gazes on each other, focusing their strength. There would be no more posturing, no tricks, no evasions. This was to be the final, decisive move of this gym battle – and both trainers and Pokémon were determined to make it count.

“ Gogoat! Aerial Ace!”
“Zorya, Flame Wheel!”

The Gogoat charged forward with a loud bleat, air visibly rushing around it as its momentum and velocity built – and leapt into the air, seeming to almost fly in the wind tunnel formed by its passing for a moment as it turned its body downwards, hurtling towards the ground. The Larvesta horns emitted bright jets of flame as she tucked her head in and flew into a rapid rolling dash directly towards the Gogoat, a wheel of fire hurtling towards its target fiercely, a blazing trail left in its wake as it too took to the air like a comet aimed directly at the rapidly approaching goat, its horns aimed forward to strike…

Contact. A wall of air and a wall of fire crashed into each other in a glorious, explosive display - gusts of wind cut through the Larvesta’s flaming aura as tongues of flame, feeding on the enriched oxygen, enveloped the Gogoat, the magnitude of impact knocking both Pokémon away from each other and back to the ground with a loud crash only slightly muffled by the grass of the arena.

For a moment, neither the Larvesta nor the Gogoat stirred. Tension was palpable as the referee appeared to weigh her decision of the battle’s outcome – when suddenly, the Larvesta twitched, opening her eyes – almost blank as she fought to maintain consciousness but with the same flicker of determination - as she struggled to right herself in spite of the pain. Zorya turned her eyes to her trainer for a moment, as if to reassure him that she was not giving up on the victory - then to her fallen opponent, which seemed to make no similar effort to stand up. With a defiant, almost hissing chirp, the Larvesta finally straightened herself up, arching her body and emitting a few sparks from the tips of her horns.

“Gogoat is unable to battle.” The referee raised her arm “The victory belongs to the challenger!”

With a final burst of flames from her horns – a final word of victory, the Larvesta’s footing finally gave way as exhaustion finally caught up. Rushing to the Larvesta’s side, the trainer grinned as he kneeled ot the ground and picked the small Pokémon up, brushing a fingertip softly against her forehead.

“Well done, Zorya… You did it.” He smiled as he returned the Larvesta to her Pokéball for the second time that day – being dimly aware of the gym leader returning his fallen Gogoat into its own ball and walking over to him as he stood back up.

“It’s been a while since I’ve seen a battle like this. That some bond yeh have with yer Larvesta. Yeh believe in yer Pokémon... And it believes in yeh, too.” The Gym Leader nodded, motioning to the referee – who approached the two trainers carrying a small box. Gesturing towards its contents – a leaf-shaped sea-green badge, its edges trimmed with a golden line that continued into the leaf itself in the form of a plant-like etching upon its surface – the old man smiled.

“Pokémon training is a lot like gardening - it’s about bringing living things to their fullest potential. Takes effort… but it’s a labor of love. It’s always good to see trainers who don’t forget that – I reckon yeh’ve proven yourself worthy of this Plant Badge. Go on – take it.”

“Thank you.” Gad smiled, picking the badge up – his first gym badge – and attaching it to the lapel of his jacket. It would do until he got himself a proper badge case. “This was one battle I won’t forget anytime soon.”

“Told yeh I’d make it memorable.” Ramos’ grin widened “Now I suggest yeh go and get that Larvesta of yers patched up, sprout. I know I’m going to do the same fer my Pokémon.”

And like that, he reached down to pull his scissors out of the ground, hoisted them over his shoulder and walked off towards where Gad presumed the Gym had its healing machines. Turning away towards the Gym’s entrance, Gad set off towards the Pokémon center. Ramos was right – healing Zorya came first.

Last edited:

Rex

Resident Furry
"You come back anytime now, you here?"

Liam waved, "Thanks so much!"

He put on a smile, but in the back of his mind he cringed. He was never doing that again. His back was on fire, and it was all he could do to stand up straight. The boy had been moving boxes around a warehouse back on the docks. Said boxes were deceptively heavy, and he wasn't exactly that strong for his age. Still, he'd made a good impression, and the "quest giver," as it was, paid pretty well. He probably had enough for a few basic supplies by now. At the very least, a few Potions... And some Pokeballs. There was no reason he couldn't catch more Pokemon. Especially after what happened with Vector and Zorya.

The monorail ride back to town was uneventful. He sank into his seat with a happy sigh, and enjoyed the scenery. Kalos was a beautiful region, but as much as he'd like to fully explore it, he couldn't be distracted from his mission. Anistar City, and Seth. The monorail slid into the station a few minutes later, hiding the coastline from view.

Gad had probably finished his gym battle by now. Liam had asked the older boy to bring the badge back to the Pokemon Center to show him. And so, stretching out his back as he went, Liam made his way back to the Pokemon Center. Only, Gad wasn't there when he arrived. Strange, while Liam wasn't really at the warehouse for the months it felt like he was, surely a Gym Battle would have been over quicker? Gad wouldn't just up and leave, would he?"

"I'm sure he's on his way," the boy muttered to himself.

In the meantime, he should probably do his shopping. Walking around the service desk to the small store on the side, Liam picked out a few Potions and a handful of Pokeballs, before walking to the counter and paying for the lot. Five of each was all he could afford. Hopefully they wouldn't go to waste.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
OOC: Somewhat artificially inflated post is somewhat artificially inflated, but I don't really have that much to say.

The streets of Coumarine were rather quiet on that particular early afternoon, and so the downhill walk from the Gym back to the Pokémon Center was fairly uneventful - which gave Gad some time for reflection. He had always had a bit of a tendency to get lost in his own head when left to his own devices, and there was certainly much to process. Between his battle with Liam earlier and his first Gym battle against Ramos all on the first day of his journey, his setting off on one started actually feeling real, for lack of better definition - and he has not even gone beyond Coumarine yet. The thought of what was to come next was certainly an interesting one.

His mind flashed back to his battle against Ramos. He expected a Gym Battle to be intense, but he certainly did not expect it to be so close. Zorya was a force to be reckoned with, but she was still only one Pokémon. Once he got her healed, it would probably be wise for him to head out of the city and capture another one nearby. Seeing as he was going to Lumiose, he would have to cross the red clay plains of the Badlands - and from his preliminary readings, certain Ground-Types could pop up at any minute - and those could spell trouble. It was best to be prepared.

~*~​

The glass doors of the Pokémon Center slid open as Gad made his way to the counter and handed Zorya's ball over to the nurse - who smiled brightly when she noticed the badge on his jacket.

"Had a battle with Ramos, I see." she said as she produced a healing machine tray and placed the Pokéball on it. "Your Pokémon will be as good as new in a moment."
"Thank you." the trainer nodded, and the nurse walked too to carry the tray to the healing machine.

With that in mind, Gad stretched and surveyed his surroundings briefly, wondering if he'd run into Liam again - and sure enough, the other trainer was there, gathering a few purchases from the Pokémart counter and moving away from it. He waved in his general direction and resumed his wait for Zorya's recovery.

Rex

Resident Furry
Liam heard the door slide open behind him. Next came the nurse's voice, and the response was definitely Gad's. The boy turned around in time to catch the older teenager wave at him. He waved back, before hurrying over. The pin on Gad's jacket quickly caught his eye. It was a stylized leaf in the general shape of a raindrop.

"Guessing that's the badge huh?" he grinned, "How was your battle? Was it difficult? What's Ramos like? Are you heading down to Lumiose next, or over to Shalour? If I remember from from my notes, both are Gym cities as well."

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
"It was close." Gad nodded "Between his Skiploom and his Gogoat, I almost didn't make it. And Ramos... Honestly? he's kind of badass. I can only imagine what he battles like when he doesn't need to hold back."

He stretched.

"Well, like I said earlier, I'm headed for Lumiose to get myself a Pokédex from Professor Sycamore. I don't think I'll try to take on the gym there yet, though - I had a edge on Ramos type-ways and even then I barely managed to pull through this battle. That's an advantage I won't have in Lumiose - the leader trains Electric-types. Haven't decided where I'm going from there yet, but you can get virtually anywhere from Lumiose - I'll have plenty of options, I think. What about you? You mentioned heading for Anistar, if I remember correctly."

Rex

Resident Furry
So Gad wasn't thinking of immediately challenging the next gym, which was Lumiose for him, for a Pokedex. That's right, come to think of it, Gad had already mentioned that, hadn't he? Liam must have forgotten that in all this excitement. And, once again, Liam himself wondered if a Pokedex would be a good idea. If the professor was giving them away, he might as well pick on up.

"That's right! Anistar's my final destination as of right now," Liam nodded, "I'm thinking of heading there by way of Santalune and Snowbelle. Might try challenging the Gym Leaders down there depending on how much stronger I think my Richie and Vector have gotten by then."

Liam paused for a moment, as if considering something. "Hey! If you don't have any other preferences, why don't we travel together for a while? Safety in numbers, after all," he grinned. He hoped he wasn't being too forward, but surely it wouldn't hurt to ask.

"I've got notes and maps on pretty much all of Kalos in my notebook," Liam added, as a bit of extra incentive.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
A sensible idea all around - if they were going in the same direction for now, there was no harm in going together - especially if they were headed through the badlands. And actually, Liam's expected itinerary brought a quick note to Gad's mind - Santalune's gym leader specialized in Bug-types, and the nearby forest held one of the Vivillon research stations that linked into his father's research project - Chastain's, if he recalled correctly. That might actually make a good place to go next.

"Sounds like a plan," He nodded and grinned at the younger trainer "Actually, Santalune sounds like a good idea for my next stop after Lumiose too."

Rex

Resident Furry
Gad agreed! This was great! Liam had been a bit concerned about going through Kalos by himself, with only Vector to protect him. He would feel a whole lot safer with Gad traveling with him. And, of course, he would do his best to make him map skills useful to the older trainer as well.

"Awesome," Liam said, before glancing out the window, "It looks like it's getting a little late, though. We probably wouldn't make it to Lumiose until well after dark. Any idea where we can find dinner and a bed for the night? We can set out first thing in the morning."

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
"Pokémon Centers take care of that too, actually - they generally have rooms for the night and some form of a diner wing for the use of passing trainers. The rooms are pretty basic, but they're free and generally nice." Gad nodded "Otherwise there's cafes and restaurants pretty much everywhere and a few hotels on the seaside end of the city. Personally I plan to rely on Centers as much as I can, the hotels tend to be a bit more high-end - actually, it's a good thing you reminded me."

It was rather apparent that Liam was not used to traveling - Pokémon Centers operated rather similarly all over the world and their services were generally common knowledge. But then, most people did not move from region to region every few years following some esoteric bug mechanism or another - perhaps common knowledge was not so common?

His thoughts were interrupted by the Nurse returning with the healing machine tray.

"There you go." she said, smiling as she handed Zorya's Pokéball over to Gad "Your Pokémon is fully healed."

"Thank you. Say, does the center still have rooms for the night?" Gad smiled as he picked the ball up.

"Quite a few." the Nurse smiled, reaching out behind the counter and pulling out a key attached to a small wooden keychain with the number 14 - the room number - engraved on it. "Still a bit early for most people to request one, though."

"When I know I'll be in a place for the rest of the day, I like to beat the rush." the trainer nodded in gratitude, placing the room key in his pocket "Seems like a quiet day, but who knows what might happen later in the evening. Thanks again."

With that, he turned away from the nurse and back to Liam.

"Well, seeing how we have a the rest of the day to kill - I was thinking of heading back to the seaside half of Coumarine for a bit, personally. Do a bit of training, maybe even catch some kind of Water-type. Having a diverse team is important, after all. Do you have any plans?"

Rex

Resident Furry
Huh! Apparently Pokemon Centers offered food and beds. That was good to know.

Liam turned to the nurse, "In that case, could I have a room for the night as well?" The nurse nodded, and handed him the key for room 12, which he pocketed with a "Thanks!" That done, he turned back to Gad. The elder trainer seemed to still have things he wanted to do today. Liam... Not so much.

"I think I'm just going to relax for the rest of the day," he laughed, "I sort of rushed through the 'quest' I did so I could meet you back here and wore myself out. Have fun, though!"

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Once the two finally arrived at the other side of the city, Andrea went back to holding Kyra's hand and helped lead her to the Center, while Io fluttered around curiously around Alpha and Omega. Their walk to the red-roofed building was quiet, with neither side really trying to hold or start a conversation. When they arrived, Andrea finally let go of the other girl's friend and waved, before realizing what she was doing. "Well, we're here. I guess I'll go now," she said. Io chirped sadly but nodded in agreement, and that was how the two girls went their separate ways.

Walking around, Andrea wondered why she was here in the first place, besides bringing Kyra over for whatever she needed to do. With nothing better to do, the girl released the rest of her Vivillon, who all, after several bright flashes of light, began fluttering around to stretch their wings. Her stomach suddenly rumbled, and she realized she was hungry. Hm, perhaps she could get food here... and a place to stay, while she was at it. She didn't really want to leave the city just yet for whatever reason.

Seeing that the nurse was mostly free, save for the two guys standing close by, Andrea walked up and asked for a room and directions to the dining hall. The nurse nodded with a smile and gave her a room key with the number 15 on it before pointing her somewhere to her right. Andrea was about to leave before Fridge, her elegant patterned Vivillon, fluttered in front of her and pointed back to the nurse, chirping something. "Oh, right. Um... thanks, Nurse Joy," she murmured before turning around.

Yes, finally, it was lunch time. And time to fill her hungry tummy.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
OOC: Not as long a post as I hoped but I really can't focus on writing this damn thing lately so I'll just post this so the RP can move again. I'd hate to see Kalos die because I suck. XP

"I'll catch you later, then. Or, failing that, tomorrow morning." Gad nodded with a smile, then stretched and waved at Liam again as he headed out of the Center and set off towards Hillcrest Station. Right before he left he couldn't help but notice a girl surrounded by what appeared to be a small scale swarm of Vivillon approaching the counter.

... Sometimes he seriously wondered about this region.

~*~​

As he stepped out of Seaside Station following a monorail ride, Gad Van Lierre realized he was feeling hungry (And after all, why not? It has been hours since breakfast). He briefly pondered waiting it out until he returned to the Pokémon Center, but his stomach would have none of it - especially if he was going to be out on the Seaside for a while.

It was fortunate, then, that he knew a rather excellent little café-restaurant on Coumarine Harbor - and so it was that he found himself sitting at one of its outdoor tables and dining on a bowl of seafood bisque, a salad and baguette slices. Somehow, it felt right for the atmosphere - pleasantly chilly sea breeze, wingull-cries and lapping waves, the bells and horns of boats and ships, the hint of music that played inside the café and carried out to the outside and the faint sounds of people - café patrons and wandering tourists and dock-workers - and some of their associated Pokémon. There was inspiration to be found here - and had he not been eating at the moment, he would have probably found time for a quick sketch or two.

Zorya, for her part, was probably slightly less impressed with the harbor atmosphere - being a Fire-type made her slightly less attracted to the sea air. She has, however, certainly found her smallish bowl of assorted leaves and berries acceptable enough. Like most larval-stage Bug-types, Larvestas were primarily vegetarian. Unlike most larval-stage Bug-types, however, they were not particularly big eaters - evidence of their adaptation to the often plant-poor volcanic habitats and a factor which probably contributed to their slow growth rates. Zorya - though she hatched and was raised in captivity - was no exception to that rule. Probably a good thing if there was another battle in store for them today.

Having finished his meal - and a cup of coffee and éclair for dessert - the trainer paid the bill and left his table, setting off on a leisurely stroll along the harbor area. His arthropod companion has opted to return to her ball until needed again - which, again, was probably a good thing. He would need her at her best, especially if it's a Water-type he had his sights set on.

Rex

Resident Furry
Liam waved to Gad as the older trainer departed. Not an easy task, seeing as the center was suddenly filled with large butterflies. This wasn't annoying in the slightest! He was quickly able to pinpoint the source of the sudden horde, a girl, ordering a room from the center's inn. He gave this girl a wide berth, before heading out the door into the fresh air. All of a sudden, the center was a bit too cluttered.

Once outside, the boy let his own two Pokemon out of their Pokeballs. The two hadn't gotten a chance to stretch since their battle with Gad. Vector immediately looked around, as if expecting to continue his fight. Upon not seeing Gad or his Larvesta anywhere, the Poochyena shot his Trainer an annoyed look, before sitting down next to him. Richie also hovered near Liam. It was likely for the best, who knew how some people would react, seeing a Shiny Pokemon.

Speaking of Pokemon, Liam dug his notebook out of his backpack. He cracked it open, and made a few notes about those butterflies. They all looked fairly similar, to the point where he assumed they were all the same species. But each one had a different pattern on its wings, each one bright and colorful. Useful for attracting mates, maybe? He probably should have asked the girl what they were called, his notes were lacking in that respect.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
(OOC: Apologies it took me SO LONG to write up a post; I had absolutely no idea where to go with this and just kinda flailed around until I managed to barf up some words. Hopefully this means we can continue one, somehow :/)

Andrea walked to the dining hall and looked around to find a place to sit. Spotting an empty table, she walked over and had Lydia, Dorian, and Aeolian stay there while she walked around. After deliberating a bit, the girl finally settled on getting a simple sandwich, a bottle of orange juice, and a bag of chips, which she bought from a vendor. She walked back to the table, only to find Dorian already fast asleep and Lydia trying to wake him up. Aeolian, on the other hand, looked rather smug with himself, and it took her a few seconds realize that he was the one responsible for Dorian’s sudden decision to take a nap.

Io, of course, did not seem to be happy about this, and the Marine patterned butterfly suddenly flew off her shoulder and attacked the Modern patterned one. “H-hey, wait!” Andrea called out, but the two Vivillon were already flying about, tackling each other in the air and throwing gusts of wind about, and generally causing a huge ruckus. Desperate, the girl put down her tray and took out her Pokeballs, deftly returning them to their respective capsules. Right, having both Io and Aeolian out at the same time was not a smart idea on her part.

With that out of the way, the girl finally sat down at her table and poured out the orange juice into a bowl. She set that aside for her Vivillon and began digging into her sandwich. Going to Lumiose likely wouldn’t take too long, since there was only a single route between it and Coumarine. However, she hated walking through the badlands, but going the other way around took too long. She sighed and wrapped up what was left of her sandwich, putting it in her bag.

Wandering out of the dining hall, Andrea realized she probably would need to stock up on items, especially if she was going to stumble across Route 13. She walked over to what looked to be a sort of gift shop-esque area of the Center, and bought a few Pokeballs, potions, and spare batteries for her Holo Caster. She paid for the items before walking back to her room, flopping onto the bed.

With nothing better to do, Andrea took a nap.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Fishing, Gad decided, was an activity that he could do without.

Sure, it was a good way to catch Water Pokémon and Coumarine's fishing pier was nice enough - but whatever rich selection of marine life the great Azure Bay boasted seemed to take no interest in the rental rod that he was at present wielding - aside from a single errant Luvdisc that proceeded to violently flail its way off the hook and back into the ocean as soon as it was pulled out of the water. If Luvdiscs were supposed to be shaped like hearts, he mused, THIS one must have gone into ventricular fibrillation. There was probably a metaphor in there somewhere about the fleeting nature of romance - but he wished that he hadn't thought about it.

If Wishes were Fishes, he thought to himself as he returned the rod to the rental booth and walked away from the pier, They'd be called Alomomola and probably be an absolute bitch to battle.

Wasting however long on this ultimately fruitless tomfoolery was not something he planned, but he still had some time to fall back on plan B. Proximity to a major port aside, Coumarine still had a fairly nice stretch of cliff-side shore, and the idea of walking along the beach in the general direction of Route 12 and searching for Pokémon in the shallows or among the rocks seemed like a solid one. The fact the sun was beginning to set just made the notion of a walk along the beach even more appealing to him - there was inspiration to be found in the myriad colors of the sky, dotted with flocks of Wingull soaring over the rolling waves...

Something has transpired. One of the flocks seemed to have gotten excited over something and was veering towards the shore and rapidly descending. Clearly, they spotted something and he wondered what it was.

Only one way to find out, he thought, and took off in the general direction of the disturbance, clutching Zorya's Pokéball in his hand, just in case.

~*~​

Sure enough, the Wingull were converging on something that washed up on the shore - Gad could only assume that the seabirds spotted a potential prey item. A closer look confirmed his suspicions - the flock was attacking a smallish blue Pokémon and it didn't take an expert look to tell that something was very wrong with it. The creature appeared exhausted and sluggish, as though it were paralyzed - or perhaps frozen - and knowing Wingulls, the poor thing was about to meet a brutal end.

He couldn't just leave it there at the mercy of the flock. Something had to be done. But what?

"Zorya, we're going in." he murmured, releasing his Larvesta companion from her Pokéball - and the Larvesta, freshly materialized, turned her eyes to the flock then tilted her head sideways, gazing at her trainer with an incredulous expression that he could only interpret as "Are we, really?"

"Yes we are. I know this isn't the battle you expected - but we need to drive these birds away, not knock all of them out - and I think I have an idea of how to do it. You with me?"

The Larvesta seemed to weigh her options briefly before nodding, glaring at the flock. Wingulls were dual Water/Flying-types and had an undeniable numeric advantage - a worthy challenge, for sure. However, one of these advantages they could take away, and judging by her trainer's face, he had the exact same thought.

"Alright, Zorya, let's start this off with a Sunny Day." he said. I just hope I know what I'm doing.

There it was again - the orbs, the cry, the fantastic light show and the radiant eruption, driving away the clouds and leaving the sky a blazing orange. The sun itself was a bright ball of orange-red, bursting with beams that sapped the moisture from the air, almost in defiance of the vast ocean they were set against. The sudden change gave pause to the the flock - which ceased its attacks and proceeded to, momentarily, gaze at the sky.

"Excellent. Now, let's really get their attention. Give me an Ember, wide-area spread, and while you still have cover fire... Flame Charge for it!" the trainer said, pointing at the seabirds - and the Larvesta chirped, sparks of flame dancing around her horns and coalescing into small balls of fire which she proceeded to launch upwards in their general direction. A curtain of small flickering flames rained down upon the Wingulls - which barely had the time to process what was hitting them and where it came from. The flock fell into a panicked disarray, and that was just the manner of opening Zorya was looking for.

Draping herself in flame, the Torch Pokémon made a dash for it - clearing a path through the Wingulls, then skidding to halt, taking a defensive position by the injured Pokémon at its center and released her flame-cloak in a multi-directional burst, taking care not to hurt the creature she was defending. The Seagull Pokémon scattered noisily to evade the flames, landing a short distance away - and promptly regrouped, forming a half-ring around the new threat, as though to appraise it.

It suddenly occurred to Gad that he may have made a tactical error - Zorya was now cornered between the flock and the sea. Some of the braver birds were making cautious advances towards her, only to retreat as she puffed up and emitted a stridulating hiss or feigned a charge in their general direction, sparks dancing around her horns. She had the advantage for now, but the Wingulls were still a threat - and a show of greater force was necessary if they were to maintain their edge.

"Solar Beam, Zorya!" Gad called out "Get as many of them as you can!"

That was all it took - the Larvesta's horns lit up brightly as sunlight flowed through them, smaller beams launching from their tips and condensing into a bright stream of energy as the Larvesta jerked her head from side to side, the solar beam slicing through the flock like a hot knife through butter. Those few Wingulls that did not clear out in time screeched in pain as the searing beam knocked them away, leaving them with more than a few singed feathers. The remaining Wingulls appeared to make the quick calculation that perhaps this particular meal was not worth the risk, and took off to seek something that will not fight back so fiercely, their injured cohorts following them soon after.

"Excellent work, Zorya." Gad grinned, rushing over to his companion's side and kneeling by her side, petting her - then turning his attention to the creature the two of them just saved. For the first time he could give it a proper look - It was an elongated crustacean of some sort, with a light-blue carapace streaked with black stripes and a black fan-like tail. The creature's head segment sported an array of antennae - mostly short and blue, with the exception of one elongated, yellow-hued pair - and one of its claws was significantly larger than the other. In spite of the injuries it sustained, the Pokémon appeared to be gradually perking up and move more - and if there was any doubt in Gad's mind that the creature was at least partially frozen it was gone now. Perhaps that is why it washed to the shore? Whatever the reason, the creature was coming to - and regarding the trainer and the Larvesta cautiously.

"It's okay. You're safe." Gad nodded at the creature as he removed his backpack and rummaged through it in search of something - a potion bottle. "Those Wingulls won't be coming back too quickly. Now, this might sting a bit..."

Giving the bottle a little shake, he sprayed its contents on the crustacean's carapace. The small creature sharply tensed, only to relax a moment later as the soothing blend of medicine and nanomachines did its work, mending the minor injuries the Wingulls inflicted. Returning the empty bottle to his backpack to dispose of later, Gad smiled at the now fully-healed creature.

"There. All better now." he said, and Zorya chirped reassuringly in the crustacean's direction before turning her eyes to her trainer and and gently nuzzled his leg.

"I know, I know, Zorya. The sea is not a place for a Fire-type." he chuckled, then produced the Larvesta's Pokéball "Return, then." The Larvesta, for her part, proceeded to do just that.

"Well." Gad stretched, rising to his feet and reaching down to pick his backpack up and sling it over his shoulder. "You can go back to the sea now. Or you can come with me, if you want - it's entirely up to you."

The sound of scuttling feet following him and a backwards look as he began to walk away informed him of the crustacean's answer - and he couldn't help but grin.

~*~​

By the time he made his way back to the Pokémon Center, the stars were already out. After having the local Nurse give Zorya and his newest companion a quick checkup to make sure both were in good health, he finally took himself up to Room 14.

It was a standard-fare Pokémon Center room - A comfortable-looking bed, a nightstand with a night-light, a shower/bathroom unit with a small washer/dryer machine - the same spartan, but functional design that he was used to from his previous dealings with Pokémon Centers, with the same small "localized" touches given to the rooms. Coumarine seemed to go for walls in a light mint green, bedspreads in a darker shade of mint green featuring the ubiquitous Pokéball designs that Pokémon centers seemed to idolize for some reason, and a rather lovely painting (or a canvas-printed replica thereof, he assumed) of the Coumarine seaside cliffs hanging above the bed.

Shedding his backpack and his shoes, the trainer produced his tablet-computer from a compartment of his backpack and settled down on the bed, silently activating it. There was some research to be done on the subject of his new companion - and due to his lack of Pokédex, he would have to do it the old fashioned way.

A quick search through guides to the Pokémon of the Azure Bay identified the creature as a Clauncher - a pure Water-type - a male one, in all likelihood. Claunchers were typically ambush predators, lurking in burrows hidden amongst reefs or beds of seagrass and stunning passing prey using shockwaves generated by the collapse of cavitation bubbles created by the snapping of their specialized, enlarged claws. While only rarely leaving their undersea habitats, sightings of Claunchers above the surface - usually in captivity - showed them expelling jets of pressurized water from the same claws, a technique that gave them the common descriptor of the Water Gun Pokémon and served as their primary attack technique - though if pressed they would use their large claw to grip their opponents like a vice.

Making a note to purchase some appropriate travel food for the Clauncher the next morning, Gad loaded up a graphics program and, tablet-pen at hand, set to work on designing a Pokéball skin for the water-type's ball. Several designs came to mind, and ultimately he settled on a black-trimmed blue plated look with a similar texture to the Clauncher's carapace, a pair of yellow lines emerging from the central button and trailing up and over, terminating on the underside of the sphere. Surveying his work - and making a few light adjustments where appropriate - he finally deemed it satisfactory, saved it and proceeded to connect his Pokéball Printer to the tablet, placing the Clauncher's Pokéball within and initiating the printing process, changing for bed and launching the wash/dry cycle on the clothes he wore through the day as the device did its work. By the time he was done, the printing was completed. Releasing the ball from within the printer, he surveyed the final result with a hint of pride, before setting it down on the nightstand, along with Zorya's ball, his glasses and his necklace. He would have to think of a nickname for the Clauncher - but that could wait until tomorrow. Turning the tablet and printer off and returning them to his backpack, the trainer slipped underneath the blankets and fell asleep. Tomorrow was a new day.

Rex

Resident Furry
Sitting around here wouldn't do him much good. Vector was getting antsy, as well. Rick, on the other hand, was snoozing. Liam had planned to stick around to see if Gad brought back a new Pokemon. There was always tomorrow. The boy stood up and stretched, before returning Richard to his Pokeball. It was time for a walk.

Coumarine offered a number of scenic vistas overlooking the ocean. Liam did his best to enjoy them. Even Vector seemed to relax a little. After a while of walking, he began to wear himself out. He would need a lot of energy for the trek to Lumiose tomorrow, it was probably best to turn in soon. As he returned Vector to his Pokeball, the setting sun lit up a brilliant shade of red. A beautiful sunset to be sure. Liam wondered if that was common around here. Then he remembered Gad and Zorya. Could that be another Sunny Day? Looks like Gad might just have a new Pokemon to introduce tomorrow after all, if so!

And it would have to be tomorrow, as Liam didn't catch Gad at all on the way back. He entered his room, number 12, and collapsed on the bed. It had been an eventful day, and he was exhausted. Still, he couldn't exactly go to sleep in his day clothes. Moreover, it looked as if the Pokecenter rooms offered laundry services. Convenient! And also not a chance he should let slip by. Who knew how long the journey to Lumiose might take. It took some effort, but the boy managed to peel himself from the bed.

Liam took the time to change into his spare set of clothes - jeans and a t-shirt. Not exactly pajama material, but he only had so much space in his backpack and everyday clothes took priority. He threw his day clothes into the laundry machine and set it going. He'd get them out in the morning. For now though, it was lights out.

---

Liam woke up the next morning to an empty stomach. Not the greatest feeling in the world. Didn't Gad say something about Pokecenters serving food? He'd have to look into that. For himself and his Pokemon. The boy quickly changed back into his day clothes, and packed up to start the new day. It was the start of his second day in the Kalos region. Today was the day the hunt for his brother really began.

The boy exited his room, and locked the door behind him. He'd return the key after breakfast, before he left. Now, the question was, where to find Gad? Liam hadn't caught the older trainer's room number. For the moment, he stuck near his room door, in case Gad hadn't gotten up yet.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Gad Van Lierre was rarely the sort to rise with the sun - but, for some reason, that was exactly what happened that morning. He had honestly expected to sleep longer, but his body decided it was awake and there wasn't much he could do about it. So he opted to do the next best thing - peeled himself off of bed, stretched thoroughly and went off for a quick shower.

His outfit for the day was mostly the same one as the day before, though instead of the green jacket and "Don't Panic" shirt he opted for a long-sleeved black shirt with a complex print featuring biomechanical elements, plants and tribalesque runes. He liked that shirt - it was slightly thicker and warmer than a T-shirt but not as warm as his jacket. Something told him that traveling through the badlands might call for a lighter ensemble. Looking over the room and his backpack to make sure he hasn't forgotten anything, he reminded himself that he needed to purchase some travel food for the Clauncher he caught before setting out again.

But first thing's first - he needed to get himself fed and caffeinated and to find his would-be-traveling-companion before he left. That did not take nearly as long as he expected, as the moment he stepped out of the door of his room he noticed Liam merely a door away down the corridor - and he appeared to be waiting for something.

"Oh hey. 'Morning, Liam." he waved. "Slept well?"

Last edited:

Rex

Resident Furry
Hearing the door next to him opening, Liam turned to see Gad exiting. So he was that close, huh? Whoops. Looks like the older trainer had packed a spare change of clothes. The younger trainer suddenly felt a bit self-conscious, dressed in the same clothes he'd worn yesterday. They were clean, at least. He returned Gad's wave, smiling a bit.

"Hey Gad, I did!" He nodded. Then his stomach growled, "Er. Was wondering if you wanted to head to breakfast? Oh! And how went the Pokemon hunt?"

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
"Certainly sounds good, yes." the trainer smiled back, producing the Clauncher's Pokéball and expanding it, giving the design a final inspection. "As for the hunt, Zorya and I basically ended up saving a slightly-frozen Clauncher from a flock of irate sea birds, healed him up - and he decided to come along with us. I'll introduce you guys later - I'm still thinking of a name. Now, I believe you were saying something about breakfast?"

~*~

The Coumarine City Pokémon Center's diner wing was more-or-less identical to the every other Pokémon Center diner wing he's been to. The automatic sliding glass door on the entrance opened into a spacious seating area with several rows of tables separated by benches padded with comfy-looking cushions. Most of the walls were lined with large windows and assorted localized touches evoking the spirit of the city. The one that did not featured served as the serving area for the diner wing - set up against it were a cart of trays and dishes, a long buffet counter with assorted foodstuffs (occasionally restocked by the morning staff, shuffling in from the nearby kitchen door), a water dispenser, a hot drink unit and vending machines for bottled drinks, snacks and sandwiches.

Grabbing a tray and some dishes, Gad made his way to the table and picked out two croissants, a small plate with butter and some kind of jam and a cup of coffee with a dash of cocoa for himself, as well as a small bowl of berry salad for Zorya and some form of sausage for the Clauncher - he wasn't entirely certain that the creature would take much interest in the thing, but there wasn't much in the way of meat on the breakfast menu. Kalosians as a whole were not exactly big on the idea of a savory breakfast, after all.

He then spotted a vacant table and headed in the general direction, settling down and waiting for Liam to grab some breakfast for himself and join him, if he wished. Would probably be best to go over the actual travel plan before setting off into the wastelands, too.

Last edited:

Rex

Resident Furry
Gad had shown him a very fancy looking ball, and called the Pokemon he'd captured a "Clauncher." Liam had no idea what that was, but presumably the older trainer would show it off once he'd figured out what to name it. In the meantime, breakfast was calling.

The dining hall at the Pokecenter reminded Liam of the ones he'd seen at school. Something of a worldwide constant, the boy supposed. He'd grabbed himself a couple slices of toast and eggs, general breakfast stuff. He also grabbed a plate of bacon, for himself to share with his two Pokemon. Balancing this all on a tray with one hand, he grabbed a glass of milk and two bowls of water on a second tray. Then began a balancing act as he hurried over to the table Gad had found for the two of them, with was otherwise empty.

Upon placing his trays down - with minimal spillage - Liam let out his two Pokemon. The two sat at the table beside him. Well, stood would be more accurate, Vector even up on his hind paws, forepaws against the table. Placing their water bowls in front of them, and the bacon between them, Liam turned to Gad - not before snatching a piece of bacon for himself, of course.

"So, while you were gone yesterday, this girl came into the Pokemon Center," he said, "She had these Beautifly looking Pokemon, but their wings were all different colors and patterns. I meant to ask her what they were, but, you know, she had like five or six of them out of their Pokeballs all at once, place got cluttered really fast." He paused, taking a bite out of a piece of toast. "You know what they're called?"

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Gad nodded in greeting to Richard and Vector as they materialized. The thought that he should probably let his own team out popped to mind briefly before Liam said something about a girl he saw and her personal swarm of butterflies. He actually remembered that girl - he saw her coming in just as he was leaving yesterday - that was not something one easily forgot.

"They're called Vivillon - and believe it or not, they're kind of the reason my family moved here." Gad replied - and elaborated. "My dad is coordinating some fairly major research into their scale patterns with a few local scientists. There's some seriously fascinating stuff going on with those things on the genetic level, actually - but I won't bore you with the details. Suffice to say there's at least 18 patterns and we're still studying their expression mechanism. Oh, and speaking of arthropods... Zorya, Clauncher, Breakfast time."

Expanding his two Pokéballs, Gad released their occupants to the floor by the table. There was a brief round of greeting vocalizations between the Larvesta and the Clauncher - who then turned to the trainer and greeted him too.

"Good morning to you two as well." the trainer grinned, setting the bowl of salad and the small plate with the sausage down by the two creatures. "I hope you'll find breakfast to your liking. Actually... before you dig in, I have a question. Clauncher, would you like to have a nickname? And if so... how does 'Synalpheus' sound to you?"

The crustacean seemed to ponder the name for a moment, then took a slight bow - as if to nod in confirmation.

"Excellent. Synalpheus it is, then. Enjoy your meal!" Gad smiled, and the newly-christened crustacean quivered his antennae before turning to his plate of food. A few experimental nips and prods at the sausage later, the Clauncher decided it was to his liking. Zorya, in the meantime, was already occupied with her berries - and seemed quite content with them. Seeing both of his Pokémon were properly fed, Gad smiled and turned to his own breakfast, ripping a small chunk of one of his croissants and applying some of the berry jam to it before consuming it. It was actually really good - whoever supplied the center with its food certainly knew their croissants and the jam complemented it rather perfectly. It was shaping up to be a rather nice breakfast, on the whole.

Rex

Resident Furry
Placing his half eaten toast back on his plate, Liam dug his notebook and pencil out of his knapsack and quickly jotted down some of what Gad was saying. The Beautifly-looking Pokemon were called 'Vivillon,' and they were apparently the reason Gad's family was in Kalos. He also took some notes on the Clauncher, now that he was able to get a good look at it. Apparently, Gad was going to call it 'Synalpheus.' Liam had no idea how the older trainer planned to remember that.

Closing his notebook and placing it and the pencil back in his knapsack, Liam returned to his breakfast. Finishing up his first piece of toast, he looked up to Gad again and said, "Your father's a scientist? One of my father's friends was, as well. He studied genes, last I recall." He motioned to his Buizel. "Richie here was actually a gift from him." Said Buizel let out a short chuckling noise at the sound of his name, before returning to his food. Liam grinned, before turning back to Gad. "I'm actually here looking for him! Has your father ever heard of a Dr. Asimov?"

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
"Yeah, he is. He's considered a bit of a leading authority in his field, although I'm not sure how well known he is outside of it." Gad nodded then shrugged "Bug-type biology isn't exactly one of the most glamorous fields of research, y'know. As for Dr. Asimov... Can't say the name rings too much of a bell to me - but I'll ask him next time I'll end up calling home."

"Although I can't help but think that with a name like "Asimov", I'd expect robotics, not genetics." he thought to himself as he completed the demolition process on one of his croissants and absorbed some of his coffee, closing his eyes in appreciation. The scientific side of his mind was perfectly aware that it was a complicated blend of organic compounds and reactions that gave the drink its characteristic flavor, aroma and stimulating properties - but he could not help but think of the stuff as the Sixth Element. The fifth was, of course, Pizza, but that was a thesis for another time.

Taking another sip of his coffee and commencing his attack on the second croissant, it occurred to him that now would probably be a good time to bring up their next major challenge.

"So. Do we have a general plan for crossing the badlands?" he asked "From what I've gathered it's a bit of a hike due southeast, but the Badlands are pretty large and the path isn't always obvious. Also, I hear electronics and communication equipment can get a little weird around there... Something about the power plants, I think."

Rex

Resident Furry
Liam was silent for a bit, as he worked on one of his eggs. So Gad hadn't heard of Spencer. To be fair though, it sounded like the older trainer's father worked in a completely different field. Oh well, it was worth a shot at least. He looked up again as Gad mentioned their trek through the badlands, and how electronic equipment tended to be on the fritz there.

"You don't think it'll effect our Pokeballs, do you?" Liam frowned, "Personally, that's the only mechanical thing I've got on me. Trying to travel light, and all that." He leaned back in his chair, thinking. "I have my maps, and you can figure out what direction you're facing in by the sun, so we shouldn't get lost even if we can't find the path all the time." He leaned forward again, "We'll just have to hoof it I guess, cover as much ground as we can while the sun's still up!"

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
"Pokéballs should be safe - those things are really resilient against Electromagnetic interference." Gad replied "It's mostly communications devices that are affected - Radios, communicators, cellphones, Satnav equipment, that sort of thing. I think my tablet should probably be safe if I keep its online functions turned off - but I'd rather not rely on it too heavily in that sort of environment, to be honest."

Finishing the second croissant and his cup of coffee, he turned his eyes to Zorya and Synalpheus for a moment - both of whom were finishing their meals as well. He pulled out his mobile communication device and checked the time for a moment - then recalled his Pokémon once they were done, picking up the plate and bowl, placing them on his tray and standing up, picking up the tray as he did and disposing of its remaining contents in a trash container unit, placing the tray itself on top of the few other trays that occupied the top of the unit before returning to the table.

"We should probably catch as many of the daylight hours as we can, then. I still need to drop by the 'mart and grab some travel food for Synalpheus... Shouldn't take me too long. I'll see you in the lobby?"

Rex

Resident Furry
Liam nodded, "sure, I'll catch you there!" He waved Gad off, before quickly finishing the rest of his food. His Pokemon had also eaten their fills. Liam hoped the trek to Lumiose wouldn't take too long, he was low on supplies, and wouldn't have the money to buy any until he'd done a few more odd jobs. The boy returned his Pokemon to their Pokeballs, took his trays and dishes up to where they belonged, then exited the dining hall.

In the main room of the center, he handed his key to the nurse with a 'thank you,' then wandered over to the lobby to wait for Gad. This was it, time to begin their journey for real. Liam hoped he was ready.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
OOC: Getting us out of Coumarine and into the Badlands. Slight Auto cleared with Rex.
BIC:

Having returned his room key, Gad made his way to the PokéMart wing of the center. It was fairly small but effectively arranged and the trainer easily found a box of travel-food tailored for primarily-carnivorous marine Pokémon. Having spent most of the day in a city meant that he hasn't dipped into the supplies he brought for himself and Zorya yet - but he figured that he may as well get another Potion bottle to replace the one he used to heal Synalpheus the day before. Being prepared was always a good thing.

He proceeded to pay for his purchases, place them within the appropriate compartments of his backpack and return to the lobby to find Liam - who was already there, waiting for him - and finally, the two set off on their journey to Lumiose City.

Hillcrest Coumarine was fairly easy to get around in. The street that held the Pokémon Center connected to a wide main street that climbed uphill towards the Gym in one direction and sloped downhill in the other, terminating in a large brick gatehouse with a great arched doorway - the official City Limit.

The Lumiose Badlands stretched before their eyes - a vast panorama of red clay plains dotted with rocks, ravines and the occasional patch of grey-green vegetation. Ever so often, one could make out a glint of metal - evidence of the occasional man-made structures that dotted the area. For an autumn morning, visibility was very good - and Gad couldn't help but appreciate the view.

From the gatepost, the road sloped downwards into a rocky basin - at places reinforced with stairways cast into the rock face where the descent was steeper. The grass thinned on the sides of the path, soon disappearing entirely - the only plants to grow here were particularly hardy sorts, adapted to the inhospitable conditions of the badlands - and whatever Pokémon lived here most likely were as well.

As the path reached the end of its descent it appeared to abruptly transform. The more modern road from Coumarine ended and was replaced with a much older-looking road, segments of which were buried by the red clay - victims of time and erosion - though one could still make out its general direction by the traces of movement on it. A singular road sign welcomed the travelers to Route 13 and indicated the directions of Coumarine City and Lumiose City. Another sign nearby explained that the road was all that remained of an ancient Kalosian road system from a time before the Great War - and that though only a few sections of it still remain, the path it once occupied remains followed to this day and following it would be the best way to reach Lumiose City. With this in mind, Gad couldn't help but wonder how any of the power plants that the badlands hosted got their supplies and workers. There simply had to be vehicular access roads somewhere - perhaps underground, or simply coming from around the badlands to avoid disturbing the ecosystem. From what little he's seen of Kalos, that would make sense.

The road was ahead.

Now all they had to do is follow it.

Last edited:

Rex

Resident Furry
Their trip out of Coumarine was largely uneventful. Liam never even spotted the girl with the Vivillons on their way out. Before long, they passed through the gatehouse that marked the city limits, and before them was the expanse of Route 13, the Lumiose Badlands, as it was also known. The red clay plains were quite breathtaking in person. The route looked almost alien, and if it weren't for the glints of the distant power plants, Liam would have thought that they left civilization far behind them.

Liam pulled his notebook out of his knapsack, and turned to the page on Route 13. As usual, he'd sketched out a map of the area, a place for him to modify and write notes as usual. If he had this compass rose sketched out right, it looks like their direction would be vaguely east-southeast. Looking up at the route again, Liam noticed the eroded remains of a road. Even where it had broken down, the vague remains of a path could be seen. If that took them all the way to Lumiose, they wouldn't have anything to worry about getting lost.

"We should probably get moving, we're burning daylight," Liam said, nose buried in his notebook once again.

The trek downhill wasn't too difficult. The path was mostly gentle sloping, with stairs in the worst parts. Liam was struck by the change in vegetation from lust Coumarine down to the sun-baked clay badlands. He'd learned in school that poor topsoil was generally the reason Badlands existed, but it was in such stark contrast to Coumarine that Liam couldn't help but wonder if Route 13 had always been like this. Before long, however, they had finished their descent. In front of them stretched red clay for miles ahead. No time to be intimidated, Liam strode over to the path and started following it, every once in a while looking up from his book to take in the surroundings.

"I wonder if this is a straight path, or if it deviates?" Liam asked. Idle chatter mostly, just to fill the silence. "I wonder why they've let it erode like this?"

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
As the two traversed the path, Gad found himself lost in his own mind as he took in the environment. The Badlands were fairly still - the only sounds interrupting the silence were the murmur of the wind and an occasional avian cry as something blazing screeched past in the sky - some kind of Fire-type bird of prey in search of its next meal, probably. The biologist in him pondered what it may be hunting for - what manner of creatures would dwell in a barren place like this? He expected nocturnal creatures spending the day in burrows, probably Ground-types - and was about to hazard a few guesses to which when Liam spoke.

"I wonder if this is a straight path, or if it deviates? I wonder why they've let it erode like this?"

"Well, if that sign was any indication, this road has been around for over three thousand years." he shrugged in response "I'd imagine that after the war, people had little reason to return to the Badlands until they built the power plants. A lot can happen in three thousand years. Rain, wind, mud floods, wild Pokémon.. I'm honestly surprised any of the old road remains at all."

Rex

Resident Furry
Gad's response left Liam with more questions than answers. How was this road still extant after three thousand years? Why would the shortest route from Lumiose to Coumarine be considered undesirable? The presence of the power plants made Liam think that environmental considerations didn't have anything to do with it. He didn't say anything more, though.

The trip through the Badlands proceeded in silence for a while. Liam only occasionally looked up from his notebook, to make sure the pair of them were still following the path. The actual road disappeared entirely fairly often, and at the worst parts it was half an hour or more before they found some trace of it again. Still, the actual path was fairly clear, even if the road was not. Getting lost would be harder than Liam originally assumed.

After a few hours walking - Liam estimated by the sun that it was now early afternoon - something strange caught his eye. There was a bit of a depression in the ground a few feet off the path. What little topsoil there was seemed to be sliding down it at a fairly constant rate. The affected area was quite large, all moving towards the center. The strangest thing was, though, that no matter how much soil seemed to spill in, it never ran out.

"What's that?" he asked absentmindedly, before closing his notebook and approaching the hole.

He couldn't see anything within it, the soil just seemed to stop moving in the center of the hole. You would expect this area to be the place where the topsoil had piled up, but in actuality, it was the lowest point of the entire area, and completely flat. There was something strange going on here. As carefully as he dared, Liam stepped into the sliding soil.

That was a mistake. As soon as he did, he felt himself get yanked in. He couldn't pick up his feet, both of which were now within the area. At the same time, the depressed center erupted as a Pokemon came out of hiding. It was an orange and white creature, four legs, a tiny body, and a very, very large jaw. And it looked hungry.

"Ah! Vector, help!" Liam cried, holding out the Poochyena's Pokeball and releasing the Pokemon inside. Also a mistake. Vector's appeared from his Pokeball a few steps ahead of Liam, also trapped within the circle, and much closer to the Pokemon. Now what would he do? "Uh, that thing you did the other day?" Liam racked his brain. "Oh! Sand Attack! Use Sand Attack!"

With some difficulty, the Poochyena managed to twist to the side and, this time using its tail, swipe some topsoil at the Pokemon's face. That seemed to do something, the orange Pokemon shut its eyes and closed its mouth. A moment later, Vector reached the Pokemon.

"Okay, now Fire Fang!"

The Poochyena latched itself on the other Pokemon's body, biting down hard, fire leaking through his teeth. Still, the other Pokemon did nothing. Vector kept biting, surely the other Pokemon had to react? Unless... Was it a trap!?

"Vector, stop!" But it was too late. The orange Pokemon glowed red. With one motion, it threw the Poochyena off of it, then opened it's mouth wide, picked Vector up, and threw him down again. Daze, Vector couldn't prevent the Pokemon from picking him up again. And this time, it was the Poochyena's turn to be bit, as the orange Pokemon's jaws clamped down on him. The Poochyena let out a howl of pain. He couldn't keep this up for long.

Wait a second, Liam had two Pokemon. Thinking quickly, he grabbed Richard's Pokeball, and threw it as hard as he could. The Buizel appeared just outside of the circle. "Rick, Water Gun, quick!" Liam pointed at the orange Pokemon. Not even enough time for the Buizel to pull up his Water Veil. Though he wouldn't need it in this instance. Richard fired a jet of water at the orange Pokemon, the sudden attack caught it off guard, and it released Vector.

The orange Pokemon spun around, and snapped at the air in the direction Richard had attacked in. That's when Liam noticed that its eyes were still closed. Vector's Sand Attack had worked, and now Richard's distance was working in the Buizel's advantage.

"Again, Water Gun!"

Once again a jet of water streamed out of the Buizel's mouth. But where that hadn't been enough to finish off Zorya yesterday, it was more than enough to topple the orange Pokemon today. It was knocked over, now properly dazed. The circle of dirt stopped moving, freeing Liam and Vector from its grasp. Liam grabbed one of his Pokeballs, and threw it at the orange Pokemon. This thing was tough, he could definitely use something like it. The Pokemon was pulled in, and the ball shook once at its feeble attempt to escape, before falling silent. They'd done it.

"Vector, you okay?" Liam called, hurrying to his fallen Pokemon. The Poochyena was injured, and barely conscious. Setting his knapsack down, Liam pulled out one of the potions he had purchased, and sprayed the medicine over the worst of Vector's wounds. That seemed to do the trick, as the Poochyena found the strength to pull himself to his feet. "You did great," Liam smiled, scratching the Pokemon between the ears. Then he returned Vector to his Pokeball, the Poochyena deserved the rest.

By this point, Richard had approached him. Liam picked up the Pokeball containing the orange Pokemon,and showed it to the Buizel. "Looks like we've got a new friend, thanks to you," he said, "We should probably let him rest for a while though." He pocketed the Pokeball and stood up. As he did turned away from Richard, he could almost swear the Buizel was smiling. The two hurried over to Gad.

"Did you see that?" Liam grinned, "I caught it! He was a strong one, too. I was scared for a minute, there." He paused, then scratched the back of his head. "I don't even know what that Pokemon was," he confessed, "It looked familiar, but I can't place it... Do you have any idea?"

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
The journey through the badlands was fairly uneventful for a while. Liam was engrossed in his notebook, occasionally checking around to make sure the path was still being followed, whereas Gad was taking in the sights while following the path himself. Occasionally a dust-cloud in the distance or a shadow overhead suggested some kind of Pokémon activity, but nothing particularly blatant popped to mind.

That is until he heard Liam asking about something - and turned his head only to see the other trainer walk straight into a Trapinch pit. Was this guy for real?

Gad watched the ensuing battle with interest. After a somewhat worrying moment where Liam slightly fumbled around with Vector, he made a speedy recovery with Richard - the shiny Buizel striking at the Ant Pit Pokémon from outside the range of its Arena Trap and weakening the creature enough to be captured. Liam may not have been experienced - but he certainly had a good head on his shoulders, even if it took him a moment to gather his thoughts while under stress. That was a good sign.

"Congratulations, Liam - Pretty awesome for a first capture!" Gad smiled in return, giving the other trainer a thumbs-up. So Liam did not know what he just caught - not too surprising, on the whole. Sinnoh wasn't exactly known for desert habitats and Trapinch were not native to that region.

"That thing was a Trapinch. They look a bit like bugs, but that's actually just a case of some really amazing convergent evolution - They're actually Ground-types, and when they evolve they acquire Dragon-type characteristics. Heh. Funny how both of our first captures in this region were ambush-predators...." he mused - then paused, realizing he was rambling. One of these days his inner biologist was going to kill him.

There was a moment of silence.

"In any case, next time you see an obvious pit trap it's probably a good idea to inspect it from a safer distance." he grinned "If you haven't reacted as quickly as you did, you might have lost a limb or two. The jaw strength on these things is ridiculous."

Last edited: