• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Layton Vs. Ace Attorney!

laytonaceattorney.jpg

Check it out here.

So. The next Ace Attorney game? A crossover with Professor Layton.

There may have been giggling involved when I found out, and I would not classify myself, traditionally, as a giggler. The premise for this game sounds super-insane, but you know? Both game series are a lot of fun, and even if the game isn't canon to either (which is pretty much what would have to happen), if they take what makes both games good and mix them into one, this game would pretty much be the best ever.

The localization will, of course, have to be top-notch, but considering the high-end translations of both series thus far, I'm not too concerned.

...Oh man, I want this game. Right now.

OH MY GOD

That's cool! Professor Layton is definitely the best puzzle series the world has ever seen, and the latest installment of it in September had the best story yet!

Was anyone else crying by that last cutscene in Professor Layton and the Unwound Future? xD

I've been a fan of the Layton series since it's debut, and I've recently found interest with Pheonix Wright since the WiiWare title came about. Although this will obviously not tie into either of the games' plots...How the heck are they gonna explain the nearly 100-year difference? And it better not be a random and out-of-nowhere worm-hole that sends Pheonix Wright back in time because that would be too cliche. -_-

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
BeginwiththeEnd said:
And it better not be a random and out-of-nowhere worm-hole that sends Pheonix Wright back in time because that would be too cliche. -_-

A game like this wouldn't need to worry about clicheness. It could probably pull out any contrived plot device it wanted and still be awesome. ;)

Whatever happens, I'm definitely intrigued by this annoucement. XD

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Chances are they won't even give it an explanation. They'll just happen to be in the same place at the same time through sheer plot convenience.

Well actually, I could see Pheonix Wright in a court battle AGAINST Professor Layton. Since Professor Layton is more of a detective, he's the one that tends to find the evidence that usually incriminates the prosecuted. So this would be an interesting plot device, to have the two of them head to head at first. Then start working together as further developments in the case at hand unfolds. That would be how I'd do it if I came up with this idea.

I haven't played the Ace Attorney nor the Professor Layton games, so I don't really know what either games are like. Though killing two birds with one stone might be a good place to start.

Whilst I cannot offer any suggestions as to how this game will work (although I thought Layton had a modern setting, as can be seen in The Unwound Future?), I can say that the concept was well recieved at my RP-session on Wednesday. There were many 'shocked-happy' faces and much laughter.

Then we found the voles...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Damn. Even if I can't understand a word of Japanese, and the trailer showed zero gameplay, that looks bloody epic. o.o

I demand a theatrical adaption! 8D

Well, at the very least, the not-knowing-Japanese won't be an issue because:

Fittingly, still just as epic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Oh my, this just got added to the list of 3DS games that I'm foaming out the mouth over. :V

The promo video is just so beautifully made and I really hope that this means the game will have fully animated cutscenes. I just can't wait to see how things are coordinated together to mash up the two different game styles.