• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

LoN's Greek AAR - A screenshot guide through my Rome Total War campaign

First off:

[quote author=Linkachu link=action=profile;u=5 date=1238089267]
And yeah, double posting for that thread is alright if need be. =)
[/quote]

So neeeeeh... neeeeh.... ok. Done.

First off... you'll all be thinking this.

What on earth is an AAR?

An AAR is whats called an "After Action Report", and it basically is what some people write whilst they play the Total War games (MTW, RTW, MTW2, ETW etc).

People write what happens, what they do, why they do it, and post some screenshots too.

I decided I'd do one, just for interests sake. This is on Rome Total War :)

*Note* - All screens are thumbnails linking to the real deal.

So... game settings.

Very Hard/Very Hard on the difficulties, and set it to "Short Campaign" which means that I don't have to conquer the entire bloomin' world, which is nice in retrospect. Details are at the bottom of the screenshot.

As you can see, I decided to pick the Greeks. I've always liked them, no matter what sense they've been in. I love their history, their playing style in AoM and that general era of time itself anyway. I also like their method of warfare. I'm a person who likes each extreme in Ancient Warfare, either civilised (like the Greeks) or totally barbaric (something like the Scythians, and other ancient nomadic horse archer tribes).

So... lets see how this goes! This... is... SPARTA! :o

Just another note, I'll be doing this when I have nothing else to do, so it is a low priority (below TAD, sigs, forum, etc).

To begin with... I first went around each settlement I had and took stock of my starting units. I had mostly units of Generals on horseback (Faction Leader, Heirs to the Throne and general family members), and the rest of my army consists of assorted pointy sticks. Be it Phalanx formations or just archers. Nothing fancy.

Next... I made a batch of Peasants in each settlement. Just a really rubbish unit to keep the garrison and the city under control whilst my army goes off and does valiant things.

Whilst I was making those, I made Roads in the towns that lacked them. They assist me in my traveling, making it more efficient and they also bring in some trade revenue, which is useful considering I'll be broke a lot in the early stages of the game.

As you can see, I shoved a Shrine to Hermes in there as well, because that town already had Roads.

Next, I used my Diplomat on Sicily to negotiate with the local Romans on the island, giving Trade Rights and selling my Map Information for 500 Denarii (currency of the era). I need all the money I can get.

As I went back to the Greek mainland, I discovered a spy that I thought was Macedonian because of his black shirt :p So I sent him into the closest enemy city, to see what they have, see if they're a threat and possibly even open the gates for me if I decide to lay siege.

Which I did :p

I'm not sure how often I'll update this, if it'll even get finished or how it'll end up, but as I said above, doing this for interest's sake :)

So... the second turn. Nothing gripping happens between turns, except me losing more money, so I won't bore you with the details :p

I decide to construct a Shrine to Athena in my happiest city, Pergamum, to the east of mainland Greece. This'll allow me to tax the living daylights out of the population there with no problems at all.

I move my army from the town to the north of Greece that I own, Thermon, to lay siege to the nearest Macedonian settlement of Larissa. I begin constructing a ram in my siege of Larissa, and add another Siege Tower to my army at Corinth (to make two).

Due to my Faction Leader laying siege to Corinth, my lovely spying chappy had to leave the settlement for some reason, so I sent him to Athens in preparation for my assault in the future there.

I can also see that the current garrison isn't much of a threat, three lots of Militia Hoplites (the lowest form of Spear/Shield wielding soldiers) and a squad of Peltasts (spear lobbing blokes).

So... I'm going into Turn 3 feeling confident, although my Line of Sight has spotted several Macedonian armies around Larissa...

Interesting. First thing I see when the next turn comes about. A ceasefire offer from Macedon.

So, I sling a twist in there and say I'll ceasefire for 500 Denarii :p

Syracuse also gets laid under siege from the house of Scipii (Blue Romans, Italy and Sicily area). Something told me our relationship wouldn't be so productive.

His army is smaller but superior to mine, plus I hate fighting Romans, this'll be awkward.

The Scipii army deploy in a fairly standard method, Hastati (Lesser legionaries... if you will. Short Sword, Shield, a few spears for ranged assault before the charge) at the front with their Javelineers (Veiletes I believe... not entirely sure) and Archers behind. The general sits at the far back to cover flanks if needs be, and is in a defensible position for his own sake.

I deploy my army in a defensive position around my gate in hopes that they assault it. Archers and Peltasts atop the walls, Hoplites in a Phalanx formation around the central gate. Peasants and General just generally floating around.

They didn't :(

I move my army outside to meet them.

The battle starts off fairly well, with me mostly annihalating their Archers with my General and my own Archers.

From here onwards though... it just decends slowly into a shambles for both sides :(

My Hoplites begin to rout (friggin' leg it to you and I ;)).

From here on, units from both sides rout and sometimes return (mine always will, because they can only run to the plaza in the town whilst the Romans can leg it to Italy :p). Even my General decides to call it a day, although he promptly makes his encore appearance.

So... I promptly make a last stand with my Archers, turning on Fire Arrows to make a last ditch effort to rout the enemy.

After my Archers run out of arrows, I notice that I actually outnumber the enemy! They lack most of their units, so I decide to assault one last time in the formation shown below:

Only to discover all their Veiletes hiding in the tall grass >:(

And so... I call it a day with both sides killing and losing men in proportion to their army size.

Back on my more successful mainland, I assault Corinth and Larissa again, breaking my ceasefire offer and keeping the 500 Denarii :p

From here on... I train some more Hoplites in Sparta for some reinforcements to the troops laying siege to Corinth and also construct a Temple to Hermes in Rhodes to boost my trading there (it has a Port, Roads and the Colossus, a wonder of the world which boosts naval trading by 40%).

So, I'm hoping that next turn will bring more fruit than the stalemate of Syracuse, only time will tell.

(Author's note: Spent a good hour trying to find the problem to Photobucket saying my images didn't exist :p Fixed that, changed their name of each file)

So... thats all I've written of it so far (had it on another forum for the last few days in separate posts), so I'll update this as and when I do and feel like it :p

Good feedback so far.

So, as the turn rolls over, my eastern Diplomat learns of a rebel town to the east of my borders. Ancyra.

I try to buy it out, but they refuse with an instant.

On a lighter note, Memnon has found a nice mate for himself. Good for him, more heirs and generals for me in the future :)

I move the Hoplite army I trained in Sparta north to the siege of Corinth, to reinforce my Faction Leader. This'll make the siege much easier and will give me more flexibility over my siege engines that'll do the damage to Corinth's great walls.

Earlier, I noticed the House of Brutii (Green Roman Faction) had declared war with me. I didn't notice any significance in it, so I brushed it aside. However, when I went to take care of Larissa I noticed Thermon in a very precarious situation! I pulled my army back from Larissa at once, although it'll take him this turn and next turn to get back safely within Thermon's gates. Will he make it? I don't know, we'll see when the time comes.

So, I turn my attention back to Corinth and assault the city. My Army strength is 8:1 compared with Damasos of Macedon's, so... it'll be a convincing fight. May only good come from such an easy victory!

I deploy like this, with my lesser Hoplites (Militia Hoplites and just Hoplites) in the right flank and my Siege Tower manned by my Spartan Hoplites on the left flank, covered by my Mercenary Peltasts. My Faction Leader who is also my General, Kleomenes of Sparta, resides at the back.

I immediately send the Siege Tower to assault the walls, so my Spartans can take control of the gate and open the door! :D

The entire Macedonian garrison has deployed in the plaza, the point I need to take hold of. A mere one hundred men is the only obstacle I have in my way, and in the background we see my Spartans have already gained control of the walls.

And the Gateway too!

The rest of my army moves in.

I send my General around the side of the city to flank the enemy, whilst the rest of my men move upwards to the plaza.

However, a quick charge by their Militia Cavalry and General kills a third of my Militia Hoplites, and are forced to rout.

My Spartans get in their position, and set up just as their General comes back for round two. He doesn't last long at all, and falls with ease.

The Spartans and Mercenary Peltasts move in to finish the fight.

But as my General charges in, he decides he'll attack from the pointy end and not the fleshy end! This unlucky turn of events costs him his life... and is a serious blow to my Faction.

My men are unphazed, and continue to fight and win the battle, with ease as predicted.

So, back on the World Map we've received confirmation of Kleomenes' death. Shame, seeing as that means my Faction Heir becomes my leader. The very same Heir who's being besieged by Romans on Syracuse with no exit route! :o

I decide to Enslave the populace of Corinth. This gives me some money, and disperses the current population between my cities (more taxes! :D).

I construct a Shrine to Athena and a Practice Range in Corinth, so I can keep the people happy (they have just been besieged after all) and so I can train ranged reinforcements to my army.

A major plus of taking Corinth, though, was gaining the Statue of Zeus. This boosts the public's loyalty to me by a considerable amount, and as such will mean that my people may riot if taken by an enemy and should be fine with higher taxes also :)

So, lots of good things and bad things this round. Wonder what'll happen next. :)

I open the turn to see Thermon besieged, as expected. Luckily I can also get my Heir down there to assist if Thermon is assaulted (He'll enter the battle as reinforcements, because he's in the local area. That is, unless I merge him with the cities army).

I also have a message to say how I have a new son who has come of age! That means a new general for me :)

Back in Thermon, I hasten to construct a Stables in hopes that the unit diversity that it'll add will help with the siege and the battle as a whole. Too bad that it'll be three turns until it has been completed :(

I've finally had need of the Navy in Rhodes, some of you may have seen it there earlier. I've sent him off to Syracuse, in hopes of rescuing my Faction Leader in time.

I'm also developing my, currently, safest city. Pergamum is having a nice wooden palisade defence, and also some Paved Roads to add to the trade income.

I construct a Port in Sparta as well, to further add to my trade income.

Finally, I begin to siege Athens with my army from Corinth. I add a Siege Tower, to assault the walls with in the near future.

And that is it for this turn! Plenty of new issues have arisen in such a short space of time. Will the fleet arrive in Syracuse in time? Will the siege of Thermon hold out until I can sally forth and defeat the Brutii Romans? Will the siege of Athens be successful?

Find out in the next installment (probably, lol) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I click End turn, to discover this little message! I'm telling you, that's news to me. Doesn't feel like that at all :p

Next, I sidle my way over to Syracuse, to check the situation. To my surprise, they've left! Never expected that at all. And as such, I begin making a Temple to Hermes, to boost happiness and once again, trade income.

I also begin putting down some more advanced Roads… in Rhodes… oh the pain, I'm sorry for that. :p

Next I move back to the siege of Athens, to discover that my lovely little spy has opened the gates for me. Gotta love automatic doors :p I don't bother taking a screenshot of the battle because it wasn't exactly that exciting. 8:1 strength ratio in my favour says why ;)

I construct some Roads there too, so I can get around easily and once more boosting my trade income.

To end the turn, I move my Spy north to Larissa. Once Thermon is stable again, I'll be assaulting this town next to have a solid foothold on Greece. Charax (my spy) indicates that they're heavy on Cavalry… I'll need to make preparations for that.

So, next turn we'll hopefully see my Leader get evacuated from Syracuse and Thermon getting rescued… although the keyword in that sentence is hopefully :-\

News just in:

I'm the largest faction in the world, somehow.

Carthaginian Spy found within Syracuse. Doubt he's why the Scipii siege ended so abruptly, but he could be a cause.

And across the Mediterranean, Egypt and the Seleucids lock horns. Expecting Egypt to come out on top, I saw some news earlier that they were the most technologically advanced.

My Heir arrived in time to find the Brutii Romans withdrawn anyway. He's now the garrison leader of Thermon. I've brought my original army in Sparta, newly conquerors of Athens to support my Heir.

And back in the middle of the Mediterranean, I've received news that my fleet will be arriving in Syracuse in two years.

That's the end of this admittedly short news bulletin. Good evening. :)

Ya know, if you're reading this and have any questions... feel free to sling them in. Quite happy to answer them.

As I begin the turn, I get an offering from Pontus in the east. They want Trade Rights, and I give them and my Map information for 1000 Denarii :p I also discover their capital.

A rebel army spawns near Corinth… but I'm not so afraid of it. Usually the rebels aren't so strong.

I move my Athenian reinforcements to assist my Heir, Antigonos of Sparta, in the ensuing battle against the House of Brutii. We outnumber him, but only because most of my men are Peltasts :-\ As a result of that, our armies nearly meet equal in the Strength ratio.

I begin with the Peltast Army, waiting for the Athenian reinforcements on the opposite side of the map (further left than the Roman's right flank in the next screenshot). I open fire with them, killing a few Hastati before they return the favour. I think it's a clever idea, giving the Heavy Infantry some javelins to throw. It'll soften the enemy up, hence why the Romans were so successful.

As they charge, I bring Antigonos around the back to flank them.

But it all slowly goes down the drain as all three cavalry units from Rome charge my light infantry. They die beneath their hooves.

I run Antigonos to meet with the Athenian reinforcements; hopefully take two will bring about more fruit.

I work about luring the Roman Velites up the hill, slowly picking them off with my General, Antigonos.

Job done.

I move forward, and the Roman Hastati do as well.

I lure another group up, who meet a nasty flank from the General as well.

The final squad of Hastati meet a Hoplite sandwich. Enjoy, young Romans.

Once again, the three Roman cavalry units charge and ruin my day. Mostly. The Spartans remain strong, and take apart the lot with absolute ease. :)

Victory! I'd have preferred to lose less men, although they died so that I no longer have a Brutii threat on my home soil, for now.

Antigonos receives several trait increases from that battle, including +1 Command, which does what it says on the tin, and he has increased his chances of not being assassinated. He also has improved bodyguards in battle.

Finally, I disband some Peasants that I no longer need and they disperse among my settlements. Rhodes grows in size as a result, increasing what I can construct there.

So… Macedon is now my primary target. :)

Update into Turn 9, lots of important news.

It appears a daughter of mine has found a bloke! Good for her :p

Another Carthaginian Spy was lingering in Syracuse, and Egypt have taken over me in the race to be largest faction.

It appears that the Germans are at war with the Romans too... a potential ally, along with Gaul, once Macedon is out of my way.

And finally, to wrap this update up. My fleet at last arrives in Sicily, and I board all important troops to set sail for Thermon.

Another short turn, but these are necessary. :)

Turn 10.

My Diplomat in the east has discovered more of the Pontus faction, specifically a smaller town this time.

And it appears my fleet have sailed away just in time! Good for them :p

I also decide to send my current Heir out along the mountains near Thermon to construct a fort at the choke point. This'll block any enemies trying to pass (because they physically can't) and also gives me some huts and walls to defend. Makes my job easier. I also hired some mercenaries, the green units in the screenshot. Two units of Hoplites and one of Peltasts.

And to wrap the turn up, I've sent five units of Militia Hoplites to add this Rebel Village to my territories.

Knew it was going too well. Just knew it. Scipii Romans sink my entire bloomin' fleet. Codswallop.

We've also got the official confirmation of the overall affect on my family… Two faction deaths, a new faction leader and in an utter coincidence we also receive a new general.

And out of nowhere, some more Brutii Romans come and decide to lay siege to Corinth. Although, my city details scroll shows that it can last seven whole turns. Not so shabby.

In other news… it appears Egypt have once again become the most advanced faction. Good for them.

So, taking no chances at all, I move four units of Hoplites up from Sparta to be within supporting distance of the siege. I also bring three units of Militia Hoplites, trained in Athens.

And back across the Mediterranean, I finally get the chance to assault this village, Ancyra. I don't even need siege engines, they don't actually have any buildings here :p

The Rebel's don't have many units… although one unit class stands out in their roster. Naked Fanatics. One hundred and twenty nine of them. They've got a massive attack… I suppose that was why my pre-battle scroll said that the Rebel army outclassed my own.

Deployment isn't so fun; A line of my Militia Hoplites with the general's unit behind for some extra defence whilst the Rebels just clump themselves on their village square.

After what seemed like hours, but was actually closer to about five minutes (still bloomin' ages!) my Hoplites arrived at one of their entrances.

As I move two of my units forward, the General thinks that it's cool to charge his cavalry into a line of pointy sticks. Not so clever, matey. My Hoplites get stuck in and have some fun. I think I got some good action shots, including the key kill as well :)

Finally, I move towards these ‘naked' chaps, who actually have a rather fetching loin cloth instead. The ones with seventeen attack power.

I moved forward. Enveloped. Assaulted. Crushed.

And apparently that was a Heroic Victory! I'll take it if they give it to me, though I'd call it more "Quite mediocre" than Heroic. I didn't see much heroism. :p

So, after that Quite Mediocre Victory, I set the men spending their next year constructing an actual building. That's a first for Ancyra!

Back on mainland Greece, I add some more Hoplites to the mostly Peltast force within the Thermon mountain pass fort. I also hire another unit of Mercenaries, this time, Falxmen. No idea what they do, but it appears they have some form of curved knife pointy thing that looks fairly dangerous and effective :)

Antigonos gains a trait for his recent hiring, improving his command and economic viability.

I finally move my, now Faction Leader, towards Larissa. Déjà vu…

So... I personally can't wait to actually get the chance to smash these Macedonians up, but we'll see what happens :)