• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Mini Tourney: Alphabet Soup (Feb. 19th) - Sign ups closed.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Due to the nature of this tournament, the registrations closed on January 25th.

Between now and the release of B/W we still have close to two months to do stuff, and I think that'd be the perfect time to hold another Gen IV mini tournament. Bal recently brought back up the idea of holding a tournament using KoL's Alphabet Soup rules, and I think it'd be a fun to try. I'm pretty sure the rules were that everyone would be assigned three random letters and would then be required to form a team of three Pokemon who's names started with those letters.

Examples:
- A person given the letters "FJO" could potentially have a team of Feraligatr, Jolteon, and Onix.
- Someone given "SSX" could have Scizor, Sceptile, and Xatu.

And so on...

The idea would be for battlers to make the best team possible with the random letters they received.

Bulbapedia has a complete list of every (English named) Pokemon organised by name here. KoL will be privately PMing everyone their three random letters (keeping 'em secret from all other battlers), and the battle rules set we'll be using is the Singles Battle Rules.

Random letter generator found here

The tournament will take place on February 19th at 6 PM, GMT, in the #pokecharmswfc chat. Good luck to everyone!

Competing Battlers
Sir Red
Blisk
LoN
Linkachu
Sandile (aka. Shocari)
Carmen
Magpie
Virgil
Balakai
Stam
Rain
Sem

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Re: Alphabet Soup Mini Tournament?

As I've said on a number of occasions, I'd be all for doing this Tournament. It's a fun and unique idea and forces people to use different Pokemon than they are used to whilst still allowing them some individuality.

I'd just like to know in advance when this was being held so that I could try and plan to be home for that weekend so I can actually compete. XP

It seems interesting and could potentially make me use Pokemon I've never used before. I'm in!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

According to KoL I got the rules right, so yay. In an addition to the ABC Soup set-up, we'd be using the usual singles battle rules and clauses, too.

I think this is one I'd personally compete in. Like Blisk said, it'd be a nice excuse to use Pokemon I've never bothered training before (assuming I didn't end up getting three letters that matched my currently EV trained Pokemon XD).

I'm definitely in, I looooooooooove this idea :D

If you guys needed help with running it, I could be around. I'm not sure exactly what help I could be - brackets and being in chat on the day (If its a one day thing) is about all I could think of, we don't really need over 9000 people doing the letters ^^

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

LoN said:
I'm definitely in, I looooooooooove this idea :D

If you guys needed help with running it, I could be around. I'm not sure exactly what help I could be - brackets and being in chat on the day (If its a one day thing) is about all I could think of, we don't really need over 9000 people doing the letters ^^

It depends on whether the letters everyone receives are meant to be kept secret, or if they're shared with everyone. If they're supposed to be secret, I can't be the one picking 'em because I'm planning to compete. :X

Otherwise... guess there's not a whole lot to be done, yeah. XD

Linkachu said:
If they're supposed to be secret, I can't be the one picking 'em because I'm planning to compete. :X
That can easily be solved by asking someone else to do them, say a family member or what-have-you ^^

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

LoN said:
Linkachu said:
If they're supposed to be secret, I can't be the one picking 'em because I'm planning to compete. :X
That can easily be solved by asking someone else to do them, say a family member or what-have-you ^^

I'd prefer another forum member doing it before dragging in family members personally. ;)

But I'll ask KoL how it was run on other boards first. It might not be necessary keeping it secret considering the nature of the tournament.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Re: Mini Tourney: Alphabet Soup (Feb. ???)

I'll be doing the letters at random, and PM'ing each respective competitor their three letters.

As such, no-one will know what three letters any of the other competitors received - they will only know their own.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

Cool, thanks KoL. :)

Fyi - I'm going to edit a list of the interested battlers into the first post. If anyone else would like to take part, let us know.

This sounds totally cool, and I'd be glad to join :) Plus, it's faster to train three pokes than six :p

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member

I'm interested ♥

Two word post is not a two word post~

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

Cool, guys. Added you both to the list. ^^

And unless the date won't work for either of you at all (because I've PMed everyone else already), we're leaning towards Feb. 26th for the tournament date.

I'm not really a good battler, and I've never done a tournament before, but this sounds really fun so I think I'll try it :D

Finally got some time to post :p.... So I am definitely in this tournament it will be really interesting to see what people come up with and use the letters they are given. There are random letter generators on the interwebs so we will just have to get someone to allocate the letters. Are we going to just give people the letters as and when they sign up or have a cut off date?

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

Balakai said:
Finally got some time to post :p.... So I am definitely in this tournament it will be really interesting to see what people come up with and use the letters they are given. There are random letter generators on the interwebs so we will just have to get someone to allocate the letters. Are we going to just give people the letters as and when they sign up or have a cut off date?

Actually, KoL has already offered to give out the numbers and we've found a good random generator to use. Once Magpie can get back to me about which date would work best for her the tournament date will be finalised.

I've been pondering it, and I think a cut off is probably a good idea in this case. It'll save us from having people ask to enter last minute when there's zero time left to actually raise their Pokemon.

Let's say the cut off to join the tournament is a week from today. I'll update the first post with the date.

Ahhh cool that works for me :) I actually cant wait to find out what I get to use (even though it would be funny if i got H and B :p)

I think the next one we should do is a random number generator which picks the pokemon you use eg number corresponds to dex number hehe. I havent played for quite a while now so would be a good exercise to get myself back into it

Re: Mini Tourney: Alphabet Soup (Feb. ???) - Sign up deadline 25th January

I would like to participate ♥ Haven't done a tourney before and this idea sounds super fun. I can definitely use the battle experience.

I was wondering if anyone minds me getting my letters a bit early since I will be going to Portugal on wednesday and not sure if I will be at home on tuesday for KoL to give me letters. If there is an issue then I will get him to text it me.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

Balakai said:
I was wondering if anyone minds me getting my letters a bit early since I will be going to Portugal on wednesday and not sure if I will be at home on tuesday for KoL to give me letters. If there is an issue then I will get him to text it me.

No issue at all. KoL can give out the letters as soon as he chooses, too. Doesn't need to be next Tuesday. :)

Oh right cool I will get him to give me mine tonight. Also are we going to post what letters we get or we going to keep it a secret?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

As stated by KoL earlier:

King of Lucario said:
I'll be doing the letters at random, and PM'ing each respective competitor their three letters.

As such, no-one will know what three letters any of the other competitors received - they will only know their own.

So keep it a secret. :)

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member

I'll be distributing the letters fairly soon most likely (although if I do end up signing up to make 12 competitors, I'll have to get someone else to distribute the letters for me or else concuss myself for amnesia.)

Unless someone else wants to sign up for No.12 of course?

Question: Are we allowed to change the order of the letters? As in use the second letter's Pokemon as my lead? Just wanted to clarify before I trained.

Hey Blisk,

Yea that is fine there was no rule saying you had to use them in the order you were given them, its just the letters of the pokemon you can use in your team, how you use them is up to you.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

I was wondering the same thing, so thanks Bal. :)

And while it's probably not necessary to say, tomorrow is the final day to sign up for the tournament. If you guys know anyone who might be interested and has possibly overlooked the topic, poke 'em? Otherwise me thinks 12 competitors is an alright number.

So, just for curiosity's sake - When this whole thing is done and dusted, can we have a list of all the letters and who had which set? It might be interesting to see :)

Balakai said:
Hey Blisk,

Yea that is fine there was no rule saying you had to use them in the order you were given them, its just the letters of the pokemon you can use in your team, how you use them is up to you.

Thanks. Just making sure before I made a Pokemon my lead that wasn't supposed to. XD

I agree with LoN. I think knowing each other's letters afterwards would be interesting.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member

Since it seems everyone wants it this way, I will reveal everyone's letter combinations at the end of the tournament. I have most of them saved in my inbox for you all to see when the time comes.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Mini Tourney: Alphabet Soup (Feb. 26th) - Sign ups closed.

Registrations are now closed. ^^

I'm also just going to go ahead and make the tournament date the 26th. Hopefully this will work for Magpie's schedule as it seems to work with everyone else. So, yeah. Mark that day on your calenders to be home. :)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

Bumping for Carmen.

Apparently Carmen isn't going to be available on February 26th whatsoever. This leaves us with two choices:

a. Change the date of the tournament to the 19th.

b. Keep the tournament on the 26th but Carmen won't be able to compete.

Obviously one week earlier means one week less to train your Pokemon, but I'd hope everyone would have already started planning or training their three by now. :X

Thoughts?

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member

19th should give more than enough time to finish things off unless you're extremely lazy or have no free time on your hands (and in both cases you shouldn't have signed up anyway so there's no excuse at all.)

I say change the date.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member

Bah, I've just managed to organise me doing the morning shift on the 26th. I can go back and try and re-organise, but I don't think they'll be impressed, especially after I also just gave back my holiday on the 19th due to not being able to go to the London tournament :V

There's a large possibility that I'll be unable to compete if it's moved to the 19th. I'd be getting home from work at around 9:00PM, so I'd be three hours late.

Saturday is just a bad day for me in general, so no worries if you move it to the 19th. Even if it was moved a week later, I'd still be in the same position. If it works out for everyone else, and it means Carmen can compete, then I say move it to the 19th in the interest of fairness. I'll just have to compete in the next one :p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

Hrm... That rather sucks. Sorry to hear that, Magpie. =/

I think if that's the case we probably shouldn't move the date. I'd hate to think someone went out of their way to organise things for this only to be unable to compete.

Can anyone think of a third option here? I'm personally flexible with whatever.

Aside from moving it later, I don't really see another way for us to both compete in the tourney. But seeing it was my fault for making the oversight in the first place, I say keep it on the 26th and I'll wait for the next tourney. Plus I'm fairly sure Magpie is done with her team and I'm not at the moment, so yeah. That was a total epic fail on my part and I definitely apologize for that.

I honestly dont mind either way since to my knowledge I should be free on both occasions and my team is finished just needs testing. I am sad that one of you wont be able to compete as I would have definitely liked to battle both of you in this tournament since its been a while since I have been in a tournament with the both of you in, maybe next time :(.

Honestly, I don't mind ether way, since both are weekends and I can compete then. However it is unfortunate that one of you won't play. My vote goes to the 26th, simply because I need to get a bit more training done.

King of Lucario said:
19th should give more than enough time to finish things off unless you're extremely lazy or have no free time on your hands (and in both cases you shouldn't have signed up anyway so there's no excuse at all.)

I say change the date.
I'm free with either date, as well - although I agree with what KoL says here.

I guess another option is to bump it back a week... although that's not ideal.