• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Mini Tourney: Black & White In-Game Teams (March 26th)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I recently posted this in the mini tournaments sticky, but I'm placing it here for discussion and better promotion. Technically this isn't really a "tournament", more so a non-competitive event, but there are specific rules and battling will be involved. ^^

Tournament Event: Black/White In-Game teams

How to join: Just drop by the #pokecharmsWFC chat on the day of the tournament. Everyone is free to take part.

Date and Time: March 12th, 6 PM GMT March 26th, 6 PM GMT

Rules and Guidelines:
- First things first - this is not a competitive tourney. Its sole purpose is to get us exchanging friend IDs, sharing our teams, and trying out the WFC for Black & White. Whatever Pokémon you catch in-game and choose to raise is what you'll be battling with, regardless of their natures/movesets/IVs/etc.

- Battlers are required to have obtained the C-Gear in order to connect to the WiFi Connection. Beyond that, the only rules here are that your Pokémon can not be EV trained and they can't be competitively bred.

- By default you're allowed to battle with your entire team for each battle (regardless of whether it consists of 1 or 6 Pokémon), but if both battlers mutually agree to use the exact same amount of Pokémon that's a-ok too. Just discuss it with your opponents before the match.

- Battles will be either level 50 all or level 100 all.

- Battles will be round robin, so everyone can have a go at battling everyone else's teams.

- Battles can be any style you choose (singles, doubles, triples, wonder launcher). Again, just discuss it with your opponent before the match.

And that's it. :)

For now there's not a whole lot to be discussed, but once B/W are released in Europe on the 4th and North America on the 6th I'll be bumping this thread to bring attention back to it.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Re: Mini Tourney: Black & White In-Game teams (Early game) - Discussion

I think the chances of most people getting well past the 4th Gym in over a week are pretty likely. Playing the Japanese game, without any deliberate rushing or anything, I was around Castelia/Hiun city in the first 6-8 hours of play.

I think it would be a better rule to just say level 50/level 100 all (no open level) and so long as your Pokemon aren't bred or EV trained, they should be considered fair game. Then you have what is still in-game teams, but without the need to force people to stop playing for a few days to a week just to compete.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Mini Tourney: Black & White In-Game Teams (Early game) - Discussion

Sounds good to me. I'll do just that. :)

Yeeeees, I don't have to EV train! ;D

I'm going to enter this. It will be the first tournament I'll be entering, since I'm far to impatient to EV train. I'll be going for a full 6-on-6 all battles, at least, if people will agree with me.

Will this be like a league table, or something, with finals and semi finals?

I also suggest a Gym Badge cap. Say, 3 Badges maximum?

Luckii said:
Yeeeees, I don't have to EV train! ;D

I'm going to enter this. It will be the first tournament I'll be entering, since I'm far to impatient to EV train. I'll be going for a full 6-on-6 all battles, at least, if people will agree with me.

EV training isn't too long if you have Pokerus and the Power Items.

Luckii said:

I don't think badges have a big part in levels. Someone could have 3 badges, but grind to higher levels if they wanted to. Plus, based off of what Katie and Alex said, I don't think open level is an option anyway.

I'll be participating in this if I'm able to get the games. *crosses fingers*

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

Will this be like a league table, or something, with finals and semi finals?

Maybe, maybe not. This is completely for fun, so I probably won't go into that much detail. ;)

Round robin is generally points based anyways, so semi-finals/finals aren't really necessary.

Originally I had placed a location cap on it, but as Alex suggested that'll simply make people feel like they need to stop playing their games in order to take part. It's much better having no cap on an event like this so that everyone can be involved.

Ah how I'd love to join this.

Except I will have no Idea how to actually meet up with you guys.

And I live in Australia so meeting wherever won't be possible for me.

If you can help me with this, much obliged.

Let's See how far I can get my little otter/single-celled organism in 48 hours >=D (If I manage to get a copy on the 10th)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

Rankurusu said:
Ah how I'd love to join this.

Except I will have no Idea how to actually meet up with you guys.

And I live in Australia so meeting wherever won't be possible for me.

If you can help me with this, much obliged.

Thanks for the interest. To explain how this will work: it will be a one day event held within our #pokecharmsWFC IRC channel (also found here via Mibbit). Basically, if you can get to that chat, you can get to us.

The event kicks off at 6 PM GMT, and people will need to be present within the chat in order to be involved. I realize that this time slot isn't ideal for everyone (especially not yourself), but it's long been determined that it's the best time for the majority of our members - so we'll be sticking to it, sorry. :(

That said... Which part of Australia do you live in, and how many hours ahead are you from GMT? There's a good chance that this will still be going on late into the evening (especially if us North Americans are hanging around), so depending on your timezone you might still be able to get some battles in if you don't sleep in too late. ;)

Thanks for the help Linkachu!

I'm in Queensland, so pretty much Australia's EST. I have no Idea how many hours ahead/behind I am you guys, but with enough persuasion I might just be able to get onto chat during the battles ;)

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rankurusu said:
Thanks for the help Linkachu!

I'm in Queensland, so pretty much Australia's EST. I have no Idea how many hours ahead/behind I am you guys, but with enough persuasion I might just be able to get onto chat during the battles ;)

Thanks again!

I'm from Queensland too and you will most likely find that you will have to either pull an all nighter or get up very early to be able to battle. We are approximately GMT +10 hours here so you will have be awake at around 4am ;D Have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh mai... 4 am...

That just gives me an excuse for caffeine, so hopefully I'll be there!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

Ouch. Timezones suck. XD

But like I said earlier, chances are people will still be hanging around the pokecharmsWFC channel late into the evening, so if you woke up at, say, 7-8 AM your time, you'd probably still find some people who'd be more than happy to battle with you. :)

Linkachu said:
Ouch. Timezones suck. XD

But like I said earlier, chances are people will still be hanging around the pokecharmsWFC channel late into the evening, so if you woke up at, say, 7-8 AM your time, you'd probably still find some people who'd be more than happy to battle with you. :)

I'd still be there because I'm -7 GMT. It'll only be 2-3 PM my time if you're up at 7-8 AM yours. Don't worry, people. :p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

Blisk said:
Linkachu said:
Ouch. Timezones suck. XD

I'd still be there because I'm -7 GMT. It'll only be 2-3 PM my time if you're up at 7-8 AM yours. Don't worry, people. :p

Yar. I'm -4 GMT, so the likelihood of me still being around the chat, or dropping back in later that evening, is very high.

Re: Mini Tourney: Black & White In-Game Teams (March 12th)

You know I am definitely up for this. I cant guarantee that KoL and myself wont speed our way through the game since we have completed it once before but its going to be very interesting and fun i think.

this sounds fun, and since i will be getting black and white the first day it comes out, i'll have plenty of time to playthrought the game before battleing.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

Yeah... Bad news. Just found out that I'm not going to be home during the afternoon of March 12th. I'll be away all night and won't get home until late-ish on Sunday. That kinda screws over my plans to have this on the 12th, unless someone else wants to take it over in my place.

So, yeah. Either we do this on another weekend, such as March 19th, or someone else takes over. Can't be helped regardless, sorry. =/

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member

I can take the reigns if necessary Katie, so don't worry about it.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

If you want to, KoL, feel free. :)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

Nick Fury said:
Can't do March 19th. Just FYI.

Darn. Well, if KoL is up for hosting it, then I guess it's still on for the 12th. XD

Just, y'know, without me being there. :X

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord

If we did it the week after I'd be able to do it on my 3DS. :)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I discussed this in the chat yesterday, and since I can't do the 12th and Alex can't do the 19th (and we'd both like to take part in this) I'm officially pushing the event back two weeks to the 26th of March. The rules are still unchanged (no bred or EVed Pokemon), but now people will have more time to build up their teams and enjoy the games. ^^

Now that I have more set-up time, I'm also considering doing an Unova starter giveaway for anyone who shows up. We'll see. :)

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
If it's on the 26th that means that I'll actually be able to compete. :'D It'll be at the end of my Spring Break, but I'll have been playing White the whole week so I will be more than ready come Saturday. :>

Yeah, 26th is good - I won't have to face complaints after I move to my shiney new 3DS. Just a point - online battling isn't linked to the Global Link is it? And the auto-level to 50 is sweet on IR battles, is it enforced online?

Also worried about the ban-hammer on Double team, then I hit Nimbasa gym.... now I loathe it with a passion.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
SJ said:
Yeah, 26th is good - I won't have to face complaints after I move to my shiney new 3DS. Just a point - online battling isn't linked to the Global Link is it? And the auto-level to 50 is sweet on IR battles, is it enforced online?

Also worried about the ban-hammer on Double team, then I hit Nimbasa gym.... now I loathe it with a passion.
Yes and no to the first question. You can do random, friend code-less battles through the Global Terminal (which in turn is connected to the Global Link), but I'm pretty sure the standard WFC battles aren't connected to it.

As for the auto-leveling, via the WFC you can set your battles to Open Level, Level 50 All, or Level 100 all. Since it's much easier/better to battle with everyone at the same level, we tend to enforce level 100 All.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Bumping. I wrote this yesterday, then questioned it and deleted it, but after further testing I'll repost this.

Apparently the standard WFC multiplayer in Gen V doesn't work like Gen IV's did. As of now we can't pick a mode to force our Pokemon's levels higher (just one that forces them down to 50 if they're above it), meaning this event can't really work as it was originally planned.

So, I need ideas. Either the event gets scrapped altogether, we make it something much more relaxed (like it wasn't relaxed enough already), or we shift our plans and use the flat level rules - meaning everyone taking part would need to have Pokemon over level 50.

Thoughts guys?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Well, by the 26th March I'd imagine most people could have gotten to the Elite 4 at the very least anyway. I wouldn't think being over level 50 would be much of a problem. Although being stuck with 3vs3 is a pain.