• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Mini Tourney: Black & White In-Game Teams Redux (March 26th)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I have locked the original topic for this tournament because it no longer applies. The B/W WFC multiplayer is not nearly as accessible as the Gen IV WFC multiplayer, so the tournament rules needed to be reworked. I apologize if this'll exclude certain people now, but it's the best we can do with what we have.

Tournament Event: Black/White In-Game teams

How to join: Just drop by the #pokecharmsWFC chat on the day of the tournament. Everyone is free to take part.

Date and Time: March 26th, 6 PM GMT

Rules and Guidelines:
- The purpose of this tournament is to get us exchanging friend IDs, sharing our teams, and trying out the WFC for Black & White. Whatever Pokémon you catch in-game and choose to raise is what you'll be battling with, regardless of their natures, movesets, IVs, etc. It goes without saying, but don't use competitively EV trained or IV bred Pokemon.

- We'll be using the WFC Flat Rules, meaning your teams should be over level 50. The flat rules will level you down to 50, but they won't level you up to it. This also means all of your held items must be unique, you can't use two Pokemon of the same species, and you can't use "special Pokemon" (which I assume means the uber and event legendaries).

- Under the flat rules, all Single battles will be 3 on 3, and all Double battles will be 4 on 4. I'm pretty sure Rotation and Triple battles are also 3 on 3.

- Battles will be Round Robin. Whether you enable the Wonder Launcher is up to you.

- Depending on the turnout, I'm proposing two potential formats for the tournament:
  • Anything goes: You can battle under any battle style you and your opponent choose (singles, doubles, triples, rotation).
  • Rule groups: People can decide which type of battling they want to do, and they'll be grouped together depending on their choice. For example, the players who just want Singles will battle within the Singles group. Players who want Triples will battle within that group. Etc. You CAN battle within multiple groups, it just means you'll be battling more overall.

And that's it. If you have any questions, let me know. :)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
For the record, here are some common timezone conversions:

- US Eastern is -5 hours behind GMT.
- US Central time is -6 hours behind GMT.
- US Mountain time is -7 hours behind GMT.
- US Pacific time is -8 hours behind GMT.

If you don't fall under any of those timezones, check out this Time and Timezone Converter for extra assistance.

Edit: Take off 1 hour for all of these timezones. We're currently an extra hour closer to GMT than usual.

Sounds good; 1 week after launch and I have 5 badges, pretty sure the elite 4 are within a fortnight! The problem I'd most be concerned with would be access to trained late / post E4 pokémon; you may have been dicking about with a Deino 'in game', but I'm betting Hydreigon will wipe all the little guys before they've had a chance to shine - surely half the point of the evening. Is it just me, or would anyone else not like the Beatles-a-like stomping on the evening?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Hydreigon is completely defeat-able in-game. I killed Ghetsis' with my Emboar. So long as people aren't breeding for moves, IVs or EV training it won't be a problem.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
SJ said:
Sounds good; 1 week after launch and I have 5 badges, pretty sure the elite 4 are within a fortnight! The problem I'd most be concerned with would be access to trained late / post E4 pokémon; you may have been dicking about with a Deino 'in game', but I'm betting Hydreigon will wipe all the little guys before they've had a chance to shine - surely half the point of the evening. Is it just me, or would anyone else not like the Beatles-a-like stomping on the evening?

Maybe I'm just speaking for myself here, but I'm not expecting that to happen. Some people will have raised the psuedo legendaries, but the majority probably won't. They'll have trained whatever interested them.

This really isn't a serious tournament, so I'm hoping nobody goes overboard with it. I don't see any reason to set further restrictions. Round robin means people get to battle lots of different players and meet lots of different teams. I'll also be hosting some giveaways for everyone who takes part, so everyone can walk away with something if they choose. ^^

Don't worry about it, and just have fun. :)

I think I am going to try and make a mini sandstorm team with this lol just to keep with consistency hehe should be fun anyways :D

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Haxorus will likely be the biggest offender as far as crazy sweeps go more than Hydreigon would be, although both dragons are extremely deadly in their own right.

...but who cares right?

I suppose, I just thought that banning competitive builds would give the less than competitive pokémon a shot in the limelight (one they'll unlikely see again, unless a 'crappy league' starts up!)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
So, as promised earlier, everyone who takes part in this tournament can walk away with a gift if they choose. I'll be breeding the three Unova starters, each with a choice nature for competitive play and a 31 IV in an ideal stat. Check out this topic for more details. :)

T

thepokebox

Is the tournament going to be all day? Because i'll be in school for 1 hour of this?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
thepokebox said:
Is the tournament going to be all day? Because i'll be in school for 1 hour of this?

They typically do tend to go on for several hours, but couldn't really say "all day". The best I can tell you is to drop by when you're available and there's a high chance people will still be there. :)

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I'm doing the later shift at work on Saturday, so I won't be around until a good few hours after the tourney starts. If I can drop by then I will, even if it's only to find out how everything went XD

I guess I'll try. What can it hurt? My team is OK, needs some training, but i think I can do this. I'll try to get my boss guy (not giving spoilers) some better moves. Plus, I nicknamed mine in Japanese. Sort of an advantage. :p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
FYI North Americans who didn't read my news update:

We're currently 1 hour closer to GMT than usual, so whatever your timezone differences would usually be take off one hour. For example, I'm usually -4 GMT (Atlantic) but I'm currently -3 GMT until they go into summer time next Sunday. That means EST peoples should be in the chat for 2 PM, Central should be there for 1 PM, and so on.

I have told people I plan on taking part, but now I unfortunately can't. I have a project I need to do this weekend for one of my classes, and my partner is only available Saturday and Sunday. Looks like I have to sit this one out... (And I really wanted a special Tepig too. :p )

This sounds like fun. I want to train my pokémon more, (it's easy with pass powers XD) but I'll hopefully be there to... you know, beat you & stuff. ;D

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Tournament is today.

Just an fyi: I keep reading comments on my tourney news update that make me think people don't understand the point of this tournament. Nobody should be going out of their way to raise anything new for this. If you are, you're defeating the purpose of the tourney. :p

Also, to clarify further, anyone who competes may obtain all of the Unova starters from me, if you'd like to. Each has a good nature, at least one 31 IV, and two eggmoves. :)

Just a quick question before the tourney. Are we allowed to use Pokemon that we got through trade or transferred over from another game? I'm just wondering, since my team consists of some of those :)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Ked said:
Just a quick question before the tourney. Are we allowed to use Pokemon that we got through trade or transferred over from another game? I'm just wondering, since my team consists of some of those :)

Traded over is fine if it was used as part of your team during the main game. As a general rule I'd rather people not use anything they transferred over themselves, tho. Like I said above, doing so defeats the purpose of this particular tournament, because obviously you couldn't obtain those Pokemon until after beating the main game.~

Edit: Apparently I have to go out for part of the afternoon, but I should be back in time for the tournament.

If I'm not back right on time, people can exchange their friend codes and - if you guys feel like it - start some battling. As long as the wins/loses are recorded somewhere, I can pick things up when I return. :)

When I pointed out that someone was cheating I was kicked twice and banned from the channel.Why do you let dick weeds like Doctor.Oak be mods?

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Because:

1. He wasn't cheating, so evidently YOU were the one who weren't following the rules.
2. Ohwaityou'rebannednowbye.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Right. As my latest news post states, I have plenty of Unova starters to go around for everyone who took part. :) There's about seven of you I haven't traded with yet, so if you're interested in the Pokemon drop me a PM and we'll sort out a trade time.

The trio looks like this:

- Snivy with a Jolly nature, 31 Speed IV, and eggmoves Glare/Iron Tail.
- Tepig with a Jolly nature, 31 Speed IV, and eggmoves Yawn/Superpower.
- Oshawott with an Adamant nature, 31 Attack IV, and eggmoves Night Slash/Air Slash.

You may have all three if you want. I also have two Timid Snivy, with the same IV and eggmoves, but one of them has already been claimed. If anyone wants the other, it's first come, first serve.

Also, if you guys saved videos during your matches, upload them and share the video numbers. Thanks again to all for some great battles. :)

Elnachoman said:
When I pointed out that someone was cheating I was kicked twice and banned from the channel.Why do you let dick weeds like Doctor.Oak be mods?

Ahahah Sorry its obvious you dont know who Doctor Oak is :p *runs and kneels before the almighty one*

On another note, was good last night and really cant wait to start working on a team structure :D. I may take the starters off your hands Katie at some point, I will let you know.

I know I said I was going to compete guys, but yet MORE WIFI troubles prevented me. Really sorry. On that note, are we ever going to do a In-Game tournament like this again?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Luckii said:
I know I said I was going to compete guys, but yet MORE WIFI troubles prevented me. Really sorry. On that note, are we ever going to do a In-Game tournament like this again?

We probably won't do another organised tournament like this anytime soon, but if you're ever available on the weekends there should be others around to battle with within the pokecharmswfc channel.

We'll let you know when the next mini tournament is planned. :)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Alrighty, I'm going to give everyone who competed in the tournament one more week to claim their Unova starters from me. They're taking up quite a bit of box space right now and I kinda need to unload 'em. :X

Kirby: I've PMed you twice now, and you haven't PMed me back yet. Please do so if you're still interested in these Pokemon.

To everyone else: Please drop me a PM, or catch me on the PokecharmsWFC chat next weekend, and we can get the trade done. :)