• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Most wanted Super Smash Bros 4 newcomers.

If you watched E3, you will know that they are making a new SSB game. I want to know what characters you want to see in the next SSB game!

1. Geno (Super Mario RPG - Legend Of The Seven Stars.)
The long lost hero from the Super Mario RPG, his attacks were overpowered, but that's why everyone loves him!

2. Louie (Pikmin 2)
Olimar's hungry sidekick, I think he would kick ass in SSB. And he is the reason I am called Sir Louie Onyx.

3. Bomberman (Bomberman Series)
I don't know much about him, but he looks kinda cool and as Morshu said: Bombs.

4. Banjo and Kazooie (Banjo Kazooie series)
The bear and bird are back! They have awesome games (Except the Xbox version, that was a pile of bull) and could glide.

Also Megaman, Starfy, Duster and Sukapon. Now, who do you want for the next game?

I actually hope to see more of a Golden Sun presence in the games than before. Isaac made good as an assist trophy, though I'm hoping they could expand that further, like have Isaac/Matthew as a fighter or several assists with different psyenergies for different effects. It's a growing universe that has great potential, shouldn't that be enough for it be fully immersed into the SSB universe?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Sir Louie Onyx said:
1. Geno (Super Mario RPG - Legend Of The Seven Stars.)
The long lost hero from the Super Mario RPG, his attacks were overpowered, but that's why everyone loves him!

No-one cares. This has been the most overhyped fan-addition to SSB since SSBM came out. Only 6 people actually played Super Mario RPG and only 3 of those actually liked it. Some obscure random character from it that hasn't been in any other Mario game ever doesn't cut it as being worthy of a spot in SSB.

2. Louie (Pikmin 2)
Olimar's hungry sidekick, I think he would kick ass in SSB. And he is the reason I am called Sir Louie Onyx.

Olimar and the Pikmin themselves are more than enough, really. His sidekick could only be a clone of Olimar, and considering Olimar's pretty lame in and of himself, the world could live without two of them. Maybe just introduce him as a reskin of Olimar or something ala Wario or Zero Suit Samus. That'd be more than enough.

3. Bomberman (Bomberman Series)
I don't know much about him, but he looks kinda cool and as Morshu said: Bombs.

I don't want many more third party mascots added to SSB because I think it'll cheapen the series. That said, Bomberman and Megaman are the two must-haves if we're going to have any to go alongside Sonic and Snake.

4. Banjo and Kazooie (Banjo Kazooie series)
The bear and bird are back! They have awesome games (Except the Xbox version, that was a pile of bull) and could glide.

This just isn't going to happen. Microsoft owns the IP and while including characters from third party companies obviously isn't off limits, including characters from a hardware rival isn't gonna happen.

Also Megaman, Starfy, Duster and Sukapon. Now, who do you want for the next game?

Aside from Megaman, covered above, only Starfy of those would be worthy of a spot. And even then, it's kinda pushing it. Starfy's success outside of Japan has been incredibly limited and while that didn't stop them including Mother or Fire Emblem characters, it's hardly as if Starfy is on their level even in Japan. He made a good Assist Trophy in Brawl and I can't see much call for him being upgraded to the main roster.

My own picks would be something along the lines of this:

A Metroid Hunter: They haven't been in much, and were only really introduced as a gimmick for the DS game Metroid Prime Hunters - BUT, they are pretty much the closest we've gotten to a non Samus playable character in the Metroid universe, and since Ridley is pretty much never going to make it on the playlist, they'd be the best available choice for giving Metroid another character to play with.

Zoroark and/or Blaziken: They're just the two Pokemon I see fitting the best in the game. I'd like them to keep Lucario in there too (and I wouldn't be disappointed if Mewtwo returned), but either of these two would make a good addition to the next Smash Bros. Blaziken would be nice purely on the grounds of giving Gen III some love in the game for once, and considering the next game may not be around for a while, it's possible that the most recent Pokemon game by then may well be an R/S/E remake anyway.

Another Pokemon Trainer: I don't really care which generation this trainer represents, but I do want a second trainer with a second set of starters. If they replaced the existing one with a new set, I'd live, but I'd rather have two sets of Trainers. Just call them by their 'game' or manga names. Red and Gold or whatever.

Isaac: Long overdue as a playable character and a perfect mix of sword/melee and magic/projectile gameplay just waiting to be tapped.

Vaati: I saw a list along this line a while back and they suggested Vaati, the magician villain from Minish Cap and 4 Swords as a good choice for a new Zelda character. I have to say that I completely agree. He's got the same style that would work well alongside Toon Link and, like Isaac, comes pre-packaged with sword/melee based attacks and magic/projectile attacks too. A lot of people will push for Wolf Link/Midna as a new Zelda character, but I'd much rather have Vaati.

They put in most big guys and generally interesting characters already. Brawl really added a lot.

Nintendo being slow with the creation of new IPs since the snes days doesnt help either.

Ridley would be nice I guess but nintendo doesnt want to include him.

There's room for gazillion pokemen anyways. Something like zoroark would be the best bet because that thing is popular right now.
Machamp would be cool though. Or maybe ditto for some copying fun.

Megaman as a guest char would work better in a smash bros game than into a capcom fighting game.

Nintendo needs to make more new games.

Last edited by a moderator:

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
MASTAH CHEEF FOR SMASH BROS 4 PLZ!

OK, I'm done.

The only character I'd really like to see brand new would be Dark Samus. She was the main villain in the Prime series and unlike Ridley, she isn't too large to fit on half the stages (Ridley makes Bowser look small for hell sake!) Since she has enough attacks of her own to distance her from the original Samus thanks to her Phazon power she could easily get away with having a different moveset to the already existing Samus, and Brawl has shown that Nintendo have been drifting away from the "clone characters" thing.

Speaking of which, Ganondorf. Why the fuck has he had the same moveset as Captain Falcon for two straight games? Hell, if Nintendo made Ganondorf completely different to Captain Falcon in terms of moves, you'd have a brand new character right there. No more Falcondorf, seriously.

Nick Fury said:
A Metroid Hunter: They haven't been in much, and were only really introduced as a gimmick for the DS game Metroid Prime Hunters - BUT, they are pretty much the closest we've gotten to a non Samus playable character in the Metroid universe, and since Ridley is pretty much never going to make it on the playlist, they'd be the best available choice for giving Metroid another character to play with.

If they did pick another hunter from the series, they'd probably pick Rundas over any of the guys from MP:H since Rundas is far and away the most popular bounty hunter in the series behind Samus herself. I wouldn't be surprised if he made it into the game though.

Also, regarding the second Pokemon Trainer, I'd like to add to that by suggesting they have one male and one female trainer, each with their own three Pokemon. It'd make it them easier to tell them apart, and Smash only has, like...five playable female characters out of how many? (Jigglypuff doesn't count.)

Nick Fury said:
Another Pokemon Trainer: I don't really care which generation this trainer represents, but I do want a second trainer with a second set of starters. If they replaced the existing one with a new set, I'd live, but I'd rather have two sets of Trainers. Just call them by their 'game' or manga names. Red and Gold or whatever.

Nah, it ruins Pokemon Trainer's uniqueness, who is based on a mix of Red and Ash respectively.

Plus if you have a new trainer represent another gen like say Johto, then everyone would complain that there's no trainer that represents Hoenn/Sinnoh/Unova....and they're obviously not going to put that many playable pokemon in the game.

Pokemon Trainer/Red/Ash represents all the trainers in the world. Who else would they put in there? When you think of Brendan, Lucas, May, Dawn, Gold, etc....they just represent that one particular era. Red represents everything.

Lucario replaced Mewtwo, and no one gave a damn about the other two gens between them. Why? Because Lucario was the poster boy for Gen 4. I sort of hope Zoroark doesn't replace him, because that would just be too obvious. And unlike Lucario and Mewtwo, Zoroark is very different. I'd certainly like to see how Illusion would work as a special attack.

More to the point, I wouldn't mind seeing Hilbert/Hilda join the crew, if not simply as a Gen 5 tie-in. Because let's face it: Red only exists as a valid reason as to why three completely different Pokemon share the same HP bar. Being a Pokemon Trainer doesn't make him a Super Smash Bros. character. Its his Pokemon that do, and seeing a combo like Snivy-Pignite-Samurott would be pretty interesting.

As for an actually new character, I'd actually like to see Giygas/Giegue as a map-consuming boss, just to see if they can make him as or even more horrific than he was over a decade ago.

Or maybe KK Slider. Yeah, totally. Hippie dog beating people up with his guitar. That'd be sweet. No wait, Jill from Drill Dozer. Just imagining her causing all sorts of chaos to the field would be really fun.

Gigyas would be an epic final boss in my opinion. And I forgot, I so want Tom Nook for SSB4. A gold axe and everything. : D

EDIT: Also, It is a good(ish) idea, but virtually impossible... Miis. I say you can pick their attacks and stuff from other characters, the only thing is you can't go over the top with power and speed. .__.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Nick Fury said:
Only 6 people actually played Super Mario RPG and only 3 of those actually liked it

You make silly statements. X3

Anyways, we definitely need some sort of Golden Sun representation by this point. They gave us R.O.B., so the least they could do is drop a character from that universe into the fray (especially since the 3rd game was recently released).

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other Nintendo series that should be represented. Something more from Metroid would be appreciated, and possibly a new character from Skyward Sword. I'd also love having King Boo as a playable character. XD

EDIT: Also, It is a good(ish) idea, but virtually impossible... Miis.

I don't see why this would be impossible at all. Many games have allowed you to use avatar characters. It's more down to whether they'd want to include the Miis in their game or not. The mechanics surrounding them could be whatever they wanted 'em to be.

The Miis are actually very plausible as characters. Look at Peach, swinging golf clubs, tennis racquets, vegetables, and frying pans around, Miis can do that, they also have baseball bats, bowling balls, jetpacks, even a damn airplane. Of course, there may be a bit of trouble when they get to the final smash, but it's Nintendo, they can do it.

Chances are if they are included, they'll be fairly easy and basic characters to use, like in most of their in-game appearances. There is also room for a sort of Mii adventure, where you have to play as your Mii through an adventure-scale quest to prove themselves as fighters amongst the many stars of gaming, that would be pretty cool.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I'd rather not see Miis in a Smash game. Smash is for the Nintendo characters to take the stage, not a bunch of rubbery stick-man avatars that look they were modelled by children. That spot should go to someone far more deserving, speaking of which...

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned King K.Rool from DK Country yet, considering he's been one of the most asked-for characters elsewhere for a while now. That said, Smash doesn't need many more new characters now, and Tekken 6 will tell you why an oversized character roster is a bad thing.

P.S. Geno can piss off as well.

Problem with King K Rool is that Nintendo didnt even give enough of a damn about him to even put him in the newest Donkey Kong game.

And the funny thing about Tekken is, most of the roster is actually viable , with maybe 3-4 characters being crap. And thats saying something, considering that its HUGE.

A big roster isnt a bad thing. Especially in something like smash bros where balance doesnt exist in the first place.

Releasing a smash bros game with out at least 4 new characters wouldnt be the smartest thing.

We need Bandana Dee:
Bandana_Dee2.png

The best boss introduced in gaming.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Fumanshu said:
And the funny thing about Tekken is, most of the roster is actually viable , with maybe 3-4 characters being crap. And thats saying something, considering that its HUGE.

A big roster isnt a bad thing. Especially in something like smash bros where balance doesnt exist in the first place.

Releasing a smash bros game with out at least 4 new characters wouldnt be the smartest thing.

Viability isn't the problem, it's the characters themselves. With the exception of Bob, Alisa and Lars, all of the new characters in Tekken 6 were completely forgettable, as were some of the Tekken 5 additions. I'd rather not see a Smash roster crammed with new characters that I and probably quite a few other people couldn't give a flying fuck about, especially when they could be using that time to improve the characters they already have (Falcondorf.)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I hear what KoL's saying, but I agree with Fuman that a big roster isn't a bad thing. Smash Bros. isn't really meant to be a typical fighting game. It's more about meshing a huge amount of Ninty franchises together into one game, which means lots of different characters.

I also can't see them releasing a new Smash game without adding at least 4-8 new characters or replacing old characters. New movesets for existing characters is always an option regardless of whether new characters are added.

I'd personally hope that their development team is large enough to accommodate whatever is necessary. The whole package should be good. Hopefully they won't rush anything this time.

I want a Rhythm Heaven... something. Either a character, a stage, an assist, something. A character would be best, one that relied on combos to deal heavy damage. I can see Karate Man Joe as the representative. XD I'm liking this idea the more I think about it.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I'd certainly appreciate a playable Golden Sun character and more Metroid representation. A proper Fusion Suit would be a nice addition, though it'd never happen. >>;

Megaman could indeed be an awesome addition if you absolutely have to shove in more non-Nintendo characters. XD

They should take a leaf outta the Soul Calibur book. Custom character creation, thank you very much. And not Miis, imo, they could have been greatly improved on Mario Kart Wii, and even though it was a great idea, the Miis really did need some fine-tuning as characters.
Perhaps though, the Wii U might have a more detailed Mii channel with more options and clothes, etc, that could improve the overall look of the characters on SSB4.

As for new characters, that's a tough one. I think SSBB had all the characters I needed, like Wolf, Ganondorf, Falco, etc, but I'd be willing to see what this fourth installment has in store for us.

After all, from what I've seen of the Wii U, SSB4 will be incredible if it sticks to the tech that Wii U uses. I hear it might also be for 3DS as well. If or when I get a 3DS, I'll probably be able to judge if it'll work a little better.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Well, Smash Bros is the Nintendo crossover game. A character creator wouldn't really make much sense.

As for playable characters? I would like to see character variations with slightly different movesets: an opportunity for non-tacky clones. Samus could have various suits, Mario could have Doctor Mario and his various other forms, Pokémon Trainer could have a couple of sets of Pokémon. I think that'd solve the problem of too few characters, without having to resort to blatant clones.

Teapot said:
Well, Smash Bros is the Nintendo crossover game. A character creator wouldn't really make much sense.

As for playable characters? I would like to see character variations with slightly different movesets: an opportunity for non-tacky clones. Samus could have various suits, Mario could have Doctor Mario and his various other forms, Pokémon Trainer could have a couple of sets of Pokémon. I think that'd solve the problem of too few characters, without having to resort to blatant clones.

Hm. Yeah, I guess, perhaps a creator wouldn't make sense, but now you've got me thinking about it, I guess there is room for characters to be improved. Perhaps you could custom-edit character's movesets and/or buy new costumes as addons on the Wii Shop channel (hopefully for free) as packs, y'know?

And if that darn Pokemon trainer doesn't get more Pokemon, well.... I'd say many people would be disappointed. We obviously need a male and a female trainer, if they use Red again, just use Green or whatever she's called, you know, Red's female counterpart (its is Green, right?), as another "costume" persay, and then you could use a Gym Leader as another costume, say for example Brock, and an Elite Four, like Marshall or Flint, and an Evil boss, 'cause I'd love to be able to play as N or Cyrus or Giovanni. Then, you could have different Pokemon combinations by changing the costume, and WE'D ALL BE HAPPY.

As for non-Pokemon characters, I'd only like to make sure they kept Wolf O'Donnell and Ganondorf. They seem like 2 characters Nintendo would just cut, just like that. Them being my two favourites, I'd be against that entirely. It's weird that the two bad guys are my favourites, but I have a bad track record with this kind of thing, heck, in Harry Potter, my favourite was VOLDEMORT.

Plus, Green was the name for Gary in the Manga. Blue was the name for the female character.

If there's one other character who deserves to have a SSB presence, it's Bowser Jr. Bowser's son has been a steadily growing presence in the Mario games, becoming more and more like a great general of Bowser's army. The least Nintendo could give him is a status as an assist trophy, and maybe as a boss even. He could have some of Bowser's abilities, but others to replace those that need Bowser's great size to use properly. He always wanted to be just like his papa, why not give him a treat for his efforts?

I think as far as big Nintendo characters go, The President from Pikmin 2 should be in there, as well as The Boy/Girl from Animal Crossing. Who would want to see ten year olds smashing faces with shovels? :p

As for guest characters, Maybe Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes. Sure, they'd have to censor 90% of his one-liners, but his moves were really bad-ass.

BeginwiththeEnd said:
I think as far as big Nintendo characters go, The President from Pikmin 2 should be in there, as well as The Boy/Girl from Animal Crossing. Who would want to see ten year olds smashing faces with shovels? :p

As for guest characters, Maybe Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes. Sure, they'd have to censor 90% of his one-liners, but his moves were really bad-ass.

The President's Final smash: sells all fighters for money. XD
Personally, I would like to see Tom nook reprasenting the Animal Crossing franchise, I've made him a full moveset!