• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Munchlax

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
So, various Pokemon sites are reporting that Gonbe (pre-evolution of Snorlax)'s English name is going to be Munchlax. Good name, or not?

You know how most Pokemon names are bad puns? Well, drugs companies also come up with cutesy bad-pun names for their products when they become available over the counter (off-prescription). To me, Munchlax sounds like a pharmaceutical product, specifically a laxative, which is something you take when you can't ... go. I have a mental image of an advertising slogan like "Munchlax: just one munch, and you're ready to go" - which is SO not the kind of image I want to have in my head associated with a vaguely cute little Pokemon!

I will have real problems if one of its moves turns out to be Sludge Bomb - fired from behind a la Ariados in Colosseum :roll:.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm a bit bias towards the name "Munchlax" because I was hoping for the name "Laxkid". When you think about it, though, Laxkid kind of sounds like "Laxative".

In time I'm sure Munchlax will grow on me. I seem to have a trend of getting used to the Japanese names, hating the english names at first, then liking the english names after a few months pass. Some names like Manectric and Sentret I'll never enjoy as much as their originals, tho... I don't even know why they used the name "Sentret" in the first place. Can someone tell me the pun there?

Here's a good question: what would you guys have liked Munchlax's english name to be?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Like i reported on the update concerning it, Laxbe was my vote. Though really, i quite like Munchlax. Not love it of course, but it's not something i'm going to cry about... like a certain bastardised electric doggy's name.

At least they didn't call it Pilax and make it part electric.

I'm also happy it's a pre-evo so I won't really be using one much, now all I gotta do is avoid the anime and it'll be like it dosen't exist :p .

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Unless of course it ends up giving Snoralax a new arsenal of moves...

...Then again, baby forms tend to learn pretty useless things like charm and encore.... so maybe not.

Oh, and :p ^^

baratron

Staff member
How about Snorbe as an alternative name? Snor- from Snorlax, and -be as in baby? I quite like Minlax/Minilax as well, athough I guess that's not much different from Munchlax.

"Raichu said:
Some names like Manectric and Sentret I"]

According to Awasai's Pokemon name guide at GameFAQs (which is well worth reading and quite amusing), Sentret means either sentry or sentinel-ferret. "Both of this guy's name interpretation mean some sort of guard who is on the alert, further defining Sentret as very watchful for danger, as stated in the Pokedex. He is also, of course, a ferret." So there.

Sentret is a weird Pokemon - when I look at Sentret and Furret, I think Sentret should be the evolved form, because it's more complicated-looking than Furret. I was quite disappointed to find out that those two were the "wrong" way round.

Mind you, I also completely fail to see how Remoraid can evolve into Octillery. I mean, Remoraid is a remora fish - the kind of fish that swims around under big fish like rays (there's one under Mantine). Octillery is an octopus. Fish, cephalopod, fish, cephalopod - they're not even the same type of creature! I could cope with a cuttlefish evolving into an octopus and then into a giant squid - that'd be pretty cool! - but what is the deal with a fish evolving into an octopus?! :roll:

Ledyba and Ledian are weird as well. Ledyba is a ladybird. Ledian - is a kid in a ladybird costume?! :shock: Oh, and don't even get me started on Ariados with its six legs, two of which are growing out of the top of its exoskeleton.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Baratron already said what it was in her first post:

So, various Pokemon sites are reporting that Gonbe (pre-evolution of Snorlax)'s English name is going to be Munchlax. Good name, or not?

So, yeah... Your post is kind of spammy because of that, but since you're new I'll let it slide. Just in the future try to read previous posts more closely before replying. Other than that, welcome to the forums ^^

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I dunno. I'm personally assuming that Octillery is a pseudo-cephallopod. That is, not really an octopus.

I mean, fish come in all shapes and sizes. I can assume that Octillery might be a fish which developed an octopod-like shape. I mean, its head, as far as I remember, is supposedly very tough and heavy. About the suction cups - Remoras have a suction cup on their head. So, I suppose that it could somehow have its fins (or tentacles, whatever) sprout them upon evolution. I think they were going for the concept of having ONE thing with suction cups evolve into another.

Besides, if you take a look at Octillery, you'd realize that its tentacles aren't arranged in a perfect circle alongside the bottom of its body. There are two that jut out forward, and the rest trail behind the body like a tail, kinda. I'd assume the two front fins evolved into the two forward tentacles, and the rest of the fins (including the tail) evolved into the other tentacles.

Not to mention Octillery's mouth is on its muzzle rather than between the tentacles, as in ordinary octopii. And I'm pretty sure it has a few suction cups on its head (YELLOW CIRCLE THINGIES! xD), a sign that it hasn't completely abandoned its Remora roots.

It's still bloody wrong, though, that a fish would evolve into something like an octopus. But I like coming up with pseudo-scientific explanations for Nintendo's occasional trippyness. xD

Ledian... I wouldn't classify it as a 'kid in a ladybird costume'. It's an anthropomorphic ladybird. I mean... We've seen examples of creatures growing into anthropomorphic versions of themselves in evolution (witness Torchic->Combusken->Blaziken, I mean.) Ledian's somewhat more complex than Ledyba, and, in my opinion, kinda niftier. ^^; But yeah.

Sentret... Well, It looks nothing LIKE a ferret. Looks more like a flying squirrel-raccoon hybrid. Furret is somewhat reminiscent of a ferret, but again, it's not what I'd call a classic ferret. Actually, Sentret and Furret look almost nothing LIKE each other, in my opinion... the only thing they have in common is the patterns on the tail. ^^;

Ariados... Uh, yeah. Nintendo were on drugs. (nods).

And speaking of evolutions that don't make sense...

Clamperl. What the hell?

First of all, the actual PokeMon is the pearl. It's somehow controlling the oyster thing it's inside... As wierd as that is, I'd suppose it's explainable.

But how does a Pearl evolve into an Eel? Or into... whatever the hell Gorebyss is? (I'm assuming hagfish or lamprey or another one of those parasitic fish things).

Now THAT is a good question. x_X

baratron

Staff member
StellarWind said:
I dunno. I'm personally assuming that Octillery is a pseudo-cephallopod. That is, not really an octopus.

I mean, fish come in all shapes and sizes. I can assume that Octillery might be a fish which developed an octopod-like shape. I mean, its head, as far as I remember, is supposedly very tough and heavy.
Not to mention Octillery's mouth is on its muzzle rather than between the tentacles, as in ordinary octopii.

Huh. Yeah, I'd forgotten that. Real octopi are molluscs - the same class of invertebrate as slugs and snails (yes, really. I teach science as well as being a cephalopod fanatic!). They are absolutely soft - except their beak. Which is underneath, as you say. They are evil buggers as well, but never mind, eh? :)

And I'm pretty sure it has a few suction cups on its head (YELLOW CIRCLE THINGIES! xD), a sign that it hasn't completely abandoned its Remora roots.

Eeek! You're right! Now, you'd expect the Japanese, being great eaters of seafood, to get their sea creatures right :D. I even have a whole pack of Japanese flash cards dedicated to sea creatures.

I still intensely dislike Ledian. You're not going to convince me THAT easily :p.

Clamperl. What the hell?

First of all, the actual PokeMon is the pearl. It's somehow controlling the oyster thing it's inside... As wierd as that is, I'd suppose it's explainable.

Played Pikmin 2? At one point Louie, the second character, gets eaten by a giant bug. He then becomes the King of Bugs, controlling the bug from the inside. Although why he then wants to kill Olimar and the Pikmin, I don't know.

Obviously this is just some sort of cultural reference we don't get ;).