• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Open (new) PMD: Wanderers

You're dead.

It sucks, but it happens -- that's life (or the cessation of it, anyway.) Maybe you weren't expecting it to happen now, though. You were probably in the middle of something else. You had goals left unfulfilled, people to inspire, a casserole in the oven.

Humans like you lead comfortable lives. The concept of "death" is something used for drama in movies, at worse, something too far away and intangible. In the times it does show up, it's usually in the case of some-thing decidedly "less." Maybe a hamster died when you were a kid. Maybe a great-great-relative you didn't know that well. So what? Death is, at most, an inconvenience. Right now, you're probably still unconvinced.

You can't perceive anything about this void: just blackness. A harrowing thought: is this the afterlife? Before -- snap -- a portal opens "in front" of you, revealing the blurry image of a world unlike the one you've left behind. Some-thing giggles. It's offering you to the choice.

What happens next?

In short, you land in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of other neer-do-wells in the form of a magical creature known as a "Pokemon." Where you fall also happens to be filled with Pokemon. Some of them are friendly. Some are them are hostile. The vast majority are neither. The Pokemon that revived you skews the definition of "help" as they will only offer as much guidance as they feel you need. Your only real directions here on out are, one, stay with the group; two, keep moving.

Are there any rules?
  • Site rules are here. "Paragraph-long" refers to posts of three sentences or more. Autoing extends to any characters piloted by the GM.
  • In all instances, the GM leads the story. If there is ever contention with what happens, the GM has the final say.
  • You may play one character.
  • Avoid graphic descriptions.
  • Currently, characters cannot evolve, mega-evolve, dyna- or gigantamax, or use Z-moves.
  • Characters will not become legendaries/mythicals, Fakemon, or the same Pokemon as another character.
  • Description trumps mechanics. You can interpret your Pokemon's moves creatively within reason.
  • Save questions asked by other players for the GM.
  • Your character comes from a world most like our own where Pokemon do not exist, in real-life or as media. If pushed, Spider Riders was the prevailing Mons franchise. They will retain their memories.
Sign-up is under the cut. You'll notice there's no spot to choose what Pokemon you turn into. You didn't expect this to be a free deal, did you?

Name: Only a given name is required.
Age upon passing:
Past occupation:
Personality:
Worst quality:
Cause of death:
A word or phrase they say a lot: I tend to start sentences with "Essentially..."
Biggest regret:
What they'll miss the most from their past:
A moment: The ghetto version of a "writing sample," this can be your character's last memory or just a random moment in their life. This is just to encourage you to write the character before you write the character, if that makes sense. It only has to be five sentences, minimum, but take advantage of it.
One Pokemon you could absolutely not stand them to be resurrected as: Take advantage of this if you need it!

ADDITIONALLY: How often can you post for RP, and how long are your posts typically?

Each Pokemon will start with two attacking moves and two non-offensive moves. Your character will be able to learn new moves as they develop. Furthermore, the Pokemon your character becomes has different qualities, things like whether they're heavy, whether they can breathe underwater... Altogether, it will look something like this:

Jane has become PIKACHU! The Electric Mouse Pokemon, this Pokemon tends to stand out wherever it goes.

Pikachu is:
  • Agile - It's lightning quick and a great climber, coming from forested environments. This also means it's a lightweight Pokemon, however, so it can't take many direct hits.
  • Electrifying - With its tail as a lightning rod, it can attract and even absorb incoming lightning, though it can become overcharged and subsequently hurt itself. Static energy runs off its coat and this may be used to outright paralyze attackers upon physical contact.
  • Alert - Pikachu can sense electric currents, enhancing its senses. It's especially attracted to other Electric types and is capable of communicating with them easily.
Pikachu's ATTACKS are:
  • Thundershock - an electric attack from the Pokemon's cheeks. It may paralyze the opponent.
  • Quick Attack - a high-speed tackle that always moves first.
  • Tail Whip - a lash of the tail. Used correctly, it trips up an opponent, lowering their guard.
  • Play Nice - an appeal to the opponent, lowering their will to fight.
Who are you, anyway?

A delicious Happy Meal. I'm the GM! I like daily posts, but I won't stress anyone to meet that if they can't, it just makes me more available. I'm pretty lax as a whole.

Chapter 1, Rings and Roses, will go up on the Role Play board proper once we get some characters to work with. A "who's who" will go here once we're ready.

Good luck, wanderers!

This RP is super inspired and sounds very interesting :) it’s rare to find something like this so count me in!

Name: Samael. Goes by Sam.
Age upon passing: 19
Past occupation: Student.
Personality: Sam is outgoing, a true people pleaser. Very loyal. Sam always tries to impress positively on others to make up for lack of genuine confidence. He fronts a carefree personality, and is always eager to help and support his friends, even to the point of neglecting his own needs. He has a hard time standing up for himself, especially against those he is close to. He also had not adopted very healthy ways to cope with intense emotions, and can sometimes just shut down. Secretly a bit paranoid, but hides this pretty well.
Worst quality: Sam can become very easily attached to someone, even if they are dishonest or manipulative. He often excuses their unacceptable behavior. Paradoxically, he can sometimes find it difficult to completely trust others.
Cause of death: Car accident while out with friends. The person driving was reckless, and attempted to outspeed an oncoming cargo train.
A word or phrase they say a lot: (TBD I’ll fill this in when I think of something) Worth noting that Sam has mild Tourette’s syndrome. His tics usually do not impact his daily life, but become more severe when he is stressed.
Biggest regret: He also feels as though he could have made more of himself.
What they'll miss the most from their past: He will certainly miss his friends/loved ones, as they were most important to him.

Sam’s exitement was slowly wearing off as he stood alone in the frigid highschool pick-up lot. He was still coming off of the high of winning the last soccer match of the season; Eevry member of his team had been in high spirits as they retreated to the locker room. Even number 31, a scornful boy who had never so much as smiled at him, had given Sam a celebratory high five. Now, alone and freezing in the cold night air, the initial rush of victory was not proving to be a deterrent against the bitter cold. He absently wondered if his father even remembered he had a game tonight, let alone when it was supposed to be over. He hoped the man would be in a good enough mood to appreciate his accomplishment, even just a little. But in all likelihood, he would remain as cold as the frost that was beginning to line the sidewalk.

One Pokemon you could absolutely not stand them to be resurrected as: I’ll be honest, I really don’t like 95% of the galar Pokémon. i don’t know if this counts just lmk
I’ll definitely try to keep a steady stream of posts. They’ll be at least a paragraph. I usually write a lot, but I segment it to keep the RP from becoming crowded.

Name: Jackie
Age upon passing: 15
Past occupation: prankster
Personality: he's a prankster, as people would say annoying, he loves to stand out and be the center of attention, though he won't go out of his way to be constantly the center of attention.
Worst quality: he's annoying
Cause of death: G U N
A word or phrase they say a lot: "Bruh"
Biggest regret: not apologizing for the biggest pranks he's done
What they'll miss the most from their past: his family
A moment: Jackie was walking around in an alley, he was preparing a prank on the first person to arrive here, "Hehe, this is my best prank yet" He said as he hid, the plan was done, he waited until someone eventually walked around, he came out quickly to scare the person and then..a gunshot, It wasn't aimed at him right? What happened? Questions flew around his head until he looked at his chest, there was a hole and blood coming out his eyes widened as he fell flat on the ground, lifeless.
One Pokemon you could absolutely not stand them to be resurrected as: Take advantage of this if you need it! (didn't play the galar games) Mankey

ADDITIONALLY: How often can you post for RP, and how long are your posts typically?: it depends on the day

Such a detailed post and by far one of the most humorous introductions that I have ever read! I would be interested!
@happymeal

My character would be a female Meowstic by the name of Harmony.

Harmony is a bright-eyed and friendly type of girl who has aspirations of becoming a world famous singer. In her previous life she had been about fifteen years old, and had been scouted by a talent agency that planned to take her to the world stage in no time at all. Today was the morning of her first recording with the studio and she had chosen to wake up early to head into the nearby forest. In order to harmonize and bond with the elements, as her mentor had raised her to do since childhood. To find a perch on top of a beautiful mossy cliff that overlooked the mountain valley that stretched for miles and miles. The rays of sunlight beginning to touch the edges of the cliff face and paint the skies with a brilliant orange hue that was rare to be seen, the perfect kind of sunrise that one could have imagined.

Until the unthinkable had happened....

An Ursaring angered by a Rattata stealing its food rushed into the clearing with a thunderous roar. It startled the blonde haired girl who had turned to face the intruder, the song she had been singing caught inside of her throat as she quivered her eyes into fear. To choose to stay as calm and quiet as possible as the enormous Pokemon rushed forward. No longer in control of its emotion, the distance between the Ursaring and Harmony closed in a matter of seconds. And this caused a trace of fear to dance through her spine, as she moved to her knees in order to leap out of the way, and that was when she felt the edge of the cliff beginning to collapse from the increased weight. To find herself now falling, and falling into the abyss and that was the last thing that she remembered before fluttering her eyes open.

It was next to a cool sounding river that traces its way through a meadowed forest. A couple of Pokemon whistled and chirped in the near by tree tops, and these sounds echoed within her more sensitive ears that for the most part came as disorientating. The sunlight too was also brighter than she remembered as she raised a padded paw to shield her eyes. And noticed for the first time the distinction and furs that now lined her 'hand' turned into paw. A dream - this had to be a dream she thought to herself as she sat upright and examined her new form for a moment with a calm expression and confirmed the physique of a Meowstic. "Ah" she mumbled in order to test her voice.

"Do, re, me, fa, la, de, da!" she recited the musical scale to test her voice, and that caused her to smile. If she had her voice, than not much else mattered to the bright-eyed female, as she began to gain her bearings...

Summary of Character:

Harmony will be more of a musical and artistic inspired character, and more of a bubbily kind of character. I see her as being intellectual, and calm and collected as well as being kind-hearted and loyal to a fault, if not naive when it comes to interacting with others. I would like for her to be more intellectual than combative so I will pour all of her "character points" (if used here) into her appearance, her brains, and her music and have her be otherwise rather frail. In this same vain her starting moves would be Disarming Voice and Charm.

As for my posting habits, I tend to write about three to four posts per day, and the length of my posts is about twice the above length on average, although I can be inspired to write significantly more and match the level of my partners. I have never had a problem writing and adding details and otherwise as my partners write... I would also be interested in other storylines if anyone else is interested too, as I find myself with an abundance of time at the moment and I would love to make new friends, send me a private message if interested!

Inspiration Song:

Last edited:
Name: Kai
Age upon passing: 15
Past occupation: Student
Personality: introverted, outgoing at times, will stand up for their beliefs, strong opinions, doesn't like people
Worst quality: ??? don't know yet
Cause of death: riding her bike and a semi-truck hit her
A word or phrase they say a lot:
Biggest regret: not waking up her mom before she left
What they'll miss the most from their past: Their mom and cat named Dusty
A moment: She grabbed a juice box from the counter, shaking it up before tearing off the straw and stabbing the plastic at the top. She drank it all in a few seconds. She threw the trash away, trying to tosh it from where she was-- she made it--yeah. She was about to head out the door but, she realized she never woke her mom up like she was supposed to do.

'Oh well she can wake her self up for her doctor appointment', she thought to her self. She headed out the door grabbing her bike on the way. She pedaled 'til she came to an intersection, a semi-truck right in front of her-- it started moving, slowly at first, then faster.

------

Before she knew it she died.

How often do you post: daily

Name: Judy
Age upon passing: 57 (Everyone is a student somehow)
Past occupation: Secretary
Personality: Judy is usually a neutral figure, but often has a negative view on the world. She is also quite the narcissist, but also a workaholic, spending day in and day out at the firm she worked at.
Worst quality: Negativity
Cause of death: Blood Loss
A word or phrase they say a lot: "It will be super easy, barely an inconvenience."
Biggest regret: Smoking
What they'll miss the most from their past: Family or friends to rely on
A moment: Light emitted from a cubicle where a middle-aged lady was working at. Judy looked at the screen of her computer, looking down at the time. "For cripes sake it's already midnight...," she yawned. She heard some footsteps in the room. "Oh, Clarence, it's you. Be a dear and fetch me some coffee from downstairs," Judy commanded. Clarence looked annoyed," Ya don't need more coffee, you should be getting home by now. Don't ya have that dog to walk?" Judy was appalled. "You dare speak to me that way, young man. Ugh, your to dense to understand." She got up from her cubicle and walked out of the room. "Your idiocy is going to be the death of me!," she yelled as she departed for the staircase.

One step in front of the other. She descended the staircase, still in a flurry of rage. "Hopefully this coffee will make me feel better...," she said to herself. Judy was so delirious she put her right foot in front of her left, causing her to trip. It all went black. Judy's eyes opened, she couldn't believe it. "OI, SOMEONE CALL THE AMBULANCE!," she heard a voice yell," No, no, no, no. I'm so stupid. I'm so f****** stupid!" Her body began to feel cold, real cold. She wanted to hold on for at least another decade or two, but what would she even do with it anyway? Her time was done and that was more apparent now than ever.

One Pokemon you could absolutely not stand them to be resurrected as: Voltorb

Hello! If this is still accepting characters, I'd love to be a part of it!

Name: Elias
Age upon passing: 31
Past occupation: marine biologist, he is an expert at identifying saltwater life and some freshwater life
Personality: reasonable and logic-based. His observant nature and quick thinking are crucial to his job of directing his crew as they journey in a submarine down to the seabed.
Worst quality: He may come off as bossy or imperious due to the authority he has at his job. In addition, he has a tendency to close off to people he doesn't know.
Cause of death: drowning in a freak storm
A word or phrase they say a lot: "I'll admit..." "To be honest.." "perhaps"
Biggest regret: not recognizing the weather patterns for what they were, since that led to the ship sinking in the freak storm and the likely deaths of his crew
What they'll miss the most from their past: the camaraderie between him and his coworkers, as well as his younger sister Kirsi
A moment:
"Currents are strong, lower the engine speed," Elias stated into the transmitter. Nateson, who was piloting the submarine, hummed in response. "Pitch is unstable, getting better as you go down. Make sure to turn on the lights once you reach 2k meters; don't want to run into any rocks."

"Copy that. Pauline, see anything out the back?" Nateson asked, flicking the switch for lights. Background static hissed through Elias' earpiece, then the submarine's co-pilot spoke.

"Few schools of fish, nothing major. What's the weather like up top?" Elias glanced up from his screen at the churning waves outside, rocking the boat back and forth. The flag on the railing was almost being shredded by the wind. It wasn't looking too good... but they needed that data if they were going to make any progress on their research. Otherwise, the grant given to them could be taken away.

"To be honest, not good. Choppy waters, rough wind." He returned his eyes to the screen, flicking through rows of data. "You're about five minutes from the destination. If we stay for another hour, you'll have 30 minutes to set up the sensors, and 25 minutes to return to the surface."

Through the cameras, he could see a lone jellyfish pass by the submarine. "Sounds good," Nateson replied. "How's baby Ben doing, by the way? Any better?" Their poor intern had gotten a bit seasick on the way out, so he was resting in a cot in the corner at the moment. Elias gave the boy a look of pity, pushing his glasses up with a finger and smudging them a bit.

"He seems alright, as far as I can tell. Perhaps he's getting used to it." A sudden splash on deck startled Elias to attention, prompting him to look outside once more. A series of huge waves was heading for the ship. "Abort the mission, the storm's here," he barked into the mic, before striding across the room to shake Ben awake. Before he could do much more, however, the first waves were crashing into the ship, tilting it precariously on its side. It was all he could do to shove the life preserver into the intern's sleepy hands before a second set of waves washed them both overboard. The cold water was a shock to his system, and he struggled to discern up from down. Where was the ship? Which way was the surface?

His last thoughts before water filled his lungs were of the others, and how he hoped they were alright.

One Pokemon you could absolutely not stand them to be resurrected as: Eiscue, it's a dumb penguin with a cube head

ADDITIONALLY: How often can you post for RP, and how long are your posts typically? Usually every other day but I check pretty much every day. My posts are on average shorter than my "moment" above, but generally longer than 4 sentences.

Note:
Not sure if this world is supposed to be Pokemon world or our world, but if it is the latter his family would be from Finland.