• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Nintendo Direct Reveals Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon News

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Tonight's Nintendo Direct opened with a new Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon showcase - quickly followed by a new trailer covering new features and further details on things that we've already known.

Solgaleo_Lunala_Necrozma_PRart_1042x636.png
First of all, it's been officially confirmed that the creatures appearing on the covers of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon - which looked like Solgaleo and Lunala wearing bits of Necrozma like fashionable hats - are in fact new forms of Necrozma itself, which (true to its light-absorbing/refracting/projecting nature) seizes the poor things, absorbs them and projects their likeness at some point during the story. These new forms are now officially confirmed to be named "Necrozma Dusk Mane" (the Solgaleo-derived form) and "Necrozma Dawn Wings" (the Lunala-derived form) and keep the signature moves of their components (Sunsteel Strike and Moongeist Beam).

It has also been confirmed that the Special Rockruff that you receive as a pre-order bonus comes with different movesets between Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon (Fire Fang in Ultra Sun, Thunder Fang in Ultra Moon - along with Tackle, Bite and Happy Hour in both versions), holds a focus band and has Own Tempo as its ability. As stated before - it alone can evolve into Dusk Form Lycanroc, and only into Dusk Form Lycanroc. This month's CoroCoro leak further confirms that these particular Rockruffs evolve into Dusk Lycanroc between 17:00 and 17:59, starting Level 25.

But regardless of whether or not you can get your hands on the Dorito Dog - any form of Lycanroc can use the new Lycanroc-exclusive Z-move, Splintered Stormshards, which is powered up from Stone Edge and has the additional effect of breaking Terrain moves and abilities, removing their effect from the battlefield.

Lastly, two new Ultra Beasts have been revealed, with the codenames Assembly (Ultra Moon Exclusive) and Burst (Ultra Sun Exclusive) - and they look even weirder than the other Ultra Beasts revealed so far, which is saying quite a bit, to be perfectly honest. At this time, nothing is known about what these creatures are capable of, what their types are or who thought Burst's design was a good idea - but there you have it.

And there's the trailer:

The Nintendo Direct also revealed the presence of several new locations in Alola (including a beach where surfers gather and a valley of Pikachu), several new outfits and the fact that the scenario in which you receive your starter in these versions is also different - and appears to involve a battle against a wild Yungoos. It also revealed a new, Pokeball-themed New Nintendo 2DS XL that is to be released on November 3rd in North America ahead of the November 17th release of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

Lastly, the Nintendo Direct revealed that purchasing the 3DS Virtual Console re-releases of Gold and Silver - from its launch day on September 22nd 2017 and until a year later on September 21st, 2018 - you will receive a special code that will allow you to receive a Level 30 Celebi - with the moves Heal Bell, Ancient Power, Safeguard and Future Sight - in Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

Excited? Indifferent? Pondering whether Kyurem is going to sue somebody? As ever, tell us what you think.

Attachments

• Solgaleo_Lunala_Necrozma_PRart_1042x636.png
    Solgaleo_Lunala_Necrozma_PRart_1042x636.png
    812.6 KB · Views: 62

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Well. This marks the first time two new Pokemon were introduced within the Generation. Usually it's just new forms but with Assembly and Burst on the scene Gen VII now brings the total to 804 instead of 802 Pokemon. Interesting. I feel like with how Terrain heavy VGC has been, a lot more teams are going to be running Z-Lycanroc to take out the Tapu and its Terrain in the same blow. Provided they already lost their Tapu that is.

Even though Stel already made the Kyurem joke, yeah, Necrozma is taking a page out of the Boundary Pokemon's book and absorbing the Version Exclusives. I kind of figured that was the case seeing as Nihilego already showed fusion properties with Lusamine so it makes sense that other Ultra Beasts would have similar properties. After all, the games did point out that Necrozma, Solgaleo, and Lunala are technically UBs even if they aren't classified as such.

And I don't really have an opinion on the new locations until I actually explore them myself in two months. I do like the idea of Gold and Silver giving us Celebi although I'd have liked it to have been available in the Gen II games to be transferred up.

sSoul

Previously Swirled
When I saw assembly, "What is this a big block?" When I saw burst, "Good name but why is this a lollipop"

sSoul

Previously Swirled
Lemme just transfer my midnight Lycanroc to Ultra sun so I can use this Tapu countering z move. Thanks to this z move I expect to see a lot more Lycanrocs in the future

First, am I the only one who found this trailer a day later and smiled all the way through of watching the trailer?

A lot of this stuff I found creepy. Necrozma hugs/absorbs Solgaleo and Lunala, taking most of their form into it's own self. Burst is just a happy nightmare. Stuff without eyes is creepy and anonymous to me, Burst has no eyes. However, Assembly is SO cool. Everything about him, his mysterious look, design, etc, is so cool. I probably like it because it reminds me of that Mario Kart DS hand boss I never fought, and I love Super Mario, especially when I was younger. On the other hand, I love Lycanroc's Z-Move, because I love Rockruff. It's my favourite Pokemon.

I'm gonna call my Rowlet "Ultra Robin" because I'm going for the same starter as my Pokemon Sun playthrough, which I called Robin. I'm gonna call Solgaleo "Ultra Nebby", with the same "Ultra" thing. Well, I'm so happy this has been released.....

BUT WHY DOES ASSEMBLY HAVE TO BE IN THE OPPOSITE GAME TO MEHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! I'M STUCK WITH A CIRCUS LOLLIPOP NIGHTMAREEEEEE!!!!!!

Necrozma "captured" Solgaleo and Lunala now huh?
Trainer Necrozma wants to battle!

Btw, i think that new Ultra Beast is gonna do well with our dear President Gumshoos.

Well, I think that these games will be pretty good. They seem a bit more like an entirely different game in the first place, granted so did a bunch of remakes, and I like that about them.

I'm honestly stoked for this, especially the Pokeball-themed 2DSXL. Long story short, I can't do 3D stuff(on screens), so the fact that they released something Pokemon themed where I don't have to spend extra money on a feature that I'll never use is great. The new Pokemon are awesome too, though my favorite part is the Necrozma absorbing thingy. I don't see why they had to make a rainbow hatrack Pokemon, but I guess that's okay...sorta...All-in-all, I'm really excited! :D

It's actually pretty cool, not having HM slaves. But there's a Pokemon for about every HM except for Dive, due to it being useless except for in Hoenn. Tauros is Rock Smash, Machamp is Strength, Lapras and Shapedo are Surf, ad Charizard is Fly.

There's no places for Cut in Alola anyway, and I've never even seen the move in-game.

Waitaminnit....*assumes that Cut doesnt exist anymore* YEAH BABY! WOOOOOOOOOOO YEAH!!

I realized that I like UB Burst so much is because he reminds me of my favorite band Dance Gavin Dance. whimsical...weird...and just doesn't make sense...same as my Dance Gavin Dance:)