• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
As of Sun/Moon, Porygon2 is now viable again, and as it is one of my favourite Pokémon I thought I'd try out a VGC17 team built around it. I've not played with this team much on Showdown just yet, but I'm quite enjoying the bulky aspect of it. I must confess I'm almost completely inexperienced with Sun/Moon's metagame so far, so I would be grateful for any advice on improvements to this team :)

Nihilego @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Protect

Pretty much the canonical set for this thing, it seems, with the exception of Toxic Spikes. Toxic Spikes can be quite useful, but it seems very situational so far – there are enough Poison-types around to make it only useful occasionally, so I might swap it out for Stealth Rock.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Tri Attack
- Protect

The eponymous duck. Decided on an Eviolite set over a Z-Conversion one as it's more reliable – if I have to switch out the latter in.a hurry, I can't get the boosts back afterwards. Otherwise, pretty much a common-or-garden duck tank.

Mimikyu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak
- Protect
- Swords Dance

Mimikyu is one of my favourite Sun/Moon additions, and its Disguise Is pretty amazing. Once more, this set isn't doing anything original or exciting, but this terrifying little creature has shown itself to be a valuable addition to the team.

Celesteela @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Seed Bomb
- Leech Seed

Gogo token overpowered legendary! I've put Leech Seed on this set to help steal HP, but otherwise it's a case of Protect, Heavy Slam for STAB, and Seed Bomb to chase off any Electric types that come its way.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Brave Bird
- Protect

Probably the most underused Pokémon on this team so far, and a good candidate for swapping out if a better choice is out there. Volt Switch is there instead of Thunderbolt for the surprise factor and a free switch, plus running off Koko's superior Attack stat. Despite the unusual choice, it's working fairly well so far. Dazzling Gleam is for STAB, but is running off the weaker Sp.Atk stat, which isn't ideal.

Garchomp @ Groundium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Protect

The newest addition, this is a Garchomp with Groundium Z. As always, it's a pretty devastating Pokémon when put in the right position, and as such I've felt no need to modify it beyond the canonical set.

So, that's that. It's not perfect by a long shot yet, but it's a fun start – any ideas for improving it? :)

Last edited:

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
At least you have the basics for doubles down, that's a good start.

- Air Balloon is a decent item to consider on anything you might put Shuca Berry on, since despite the blatant telegraphing of the Balloon and it bursting off one attack it can sometimes give you more breathing room than Shuca Berry, plus if they don't hit Nihilego first it won't need to use Protect if your Garchomp is firing off Earthquakes near it. Also Toxic Spikes isn't amazingly useful due to the lack of switching in VGC, the severe lack of breathing room you'll have to get off two layers (and you will really need this) as well as other status effects being more useful most of the time.

- Porygon2 would like Recover over one of its attacks since its durability is its claim to fame rather than any offensive potential it has, and three attacks + Protect doesn't really make the most of that. Seizure Duck 2 is also a very good Trick Room user, although most of your team is too fast to really make good use of this. I'd consider Ice Beam as a potential attack on Porygon2 as well due to the freeze-hax potential on top of nothing being immune to it.

- Mimikyu is fine, Will-O-Wisp and the trollish Z-Destiny Bond are other options to consider, but odds are these would have to override Swords Dance.

- Celesteela is fine. A mixed set can work for this thing too mind, since it gets stuff like Flamethrower and Giga Drain. Earthquake on the physical side works too along with the Groundium-Z to deliver a surprise to Alolan Marowak who otherwise beats the shit out of Celesteela quite easily.

- Tapu Koko could use some changes. Your EVs completely in Attack while having your dual-STAB both special attacks isn't the best use of your EVs, and Brave Bird is nowhere near as good as Sky Drop is on something as fast as Koko due to how disruptive it is. I'd either change the EVs around or swap Volt Switch with Wild Charge. Koko really wants a Speed-boosting nature as well.

- Garchomp is as standard as it gets. Be mindful that this set generally works best with a more defensive item though, such as Yache/Haban Berry or Focus Sash. Also, again, if you're running a full Atk/Spd EV set, you want a Speed-boosting nature.

The VGC meta for Sun/Moon is currently very defense-oriented compared to what VGC is normally like, although since it's still very early days that can quite quickly change, and there's already been a decent variety of 'Mons used. That being said, every team does tend to follow the same "Ultra Beast + Tapu + 4 other 'Mons" formula at the moment, so there is some consistency settling in.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Volt Switch is a special move, not a physical move btw.
Yup, that was my mistake. I've switched it for Wild Charge now, and incorporated most of KoL's suggestions – my team now looks like (changes bolded):

Nihilego @ Air Balloon
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Protect

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Tri Attack
- Recover
- Protect

Mimikyu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Disguise
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak
- Protect
- Swords Dance

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature

- Wild Charge
- Dazzling Gleam
- Sky Drop
- Protect

Garchomp @ Groundium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Protect

This new team setup is serving me very well – thanks to everyone for all your help!

You don't have any attacks that are Water type or Grass type. Your Garchomp will most likely want either Poison Jab or Iron Head for the fairy coverage because of the sheer amount of Tapu around.

Perhaps run Poison Jab on Garchomp and use Poisonum Z?