• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Official Shiny Pokemon Thread

Through trades, I've ended up with a Shiny Magikarp (later evolved to Gyarados), Deino, Staravia (later evolved to Staraptor), Tauros, Uxie, Lucario, Giratina, Palkia, Dialga, Dragonite, Floatzel, Regigigas, and a Ditto. Through encounters, I've ended up with a Shiny Spearow (later evolved into Fearow) and a Sentret. On White 2, while going through Reversal Mountain with Bianca, I ran into a Shiny Boldore, but Bianca killed it before I had a chance to catch it. I was so pissed lol.

The first shiny I caught was the Red Gyrados in Soul Silver. Today I got blessed in the GTS as I traded one of my level 1 Charmanders and got a shiny level 100 Sylveon. I didn't ask for a shiny. I told my friend Jasmine and she said "why are people so generous?" I was excited. It's got a couple of ribbons, mainly the Kalos Hall of Fame and another battler ribbon.

Last week, I was just messing around on Y and I ran into a wild shiny Spoink. I only mentioned this because it is the first shiny pokemon I recieved on Y. It's a Grumpig now.

Okay, I got 11 shinies. Ever. My first one was in SoulSilver when i was going to Ecruteak to fight Morty. Going through the grass and there he was, a shiny Pidgey. Then I started breeding Eevees until i got a Adamant one (so i could train a competitive Leafeon) and I eventually got 2 shiny Eevees cuz i kept breeding, then evolved them into Jolteon and Umbreon.
Black version: I got my favorite shiny. A MUFUKIN AXEW!!!
XY: Got a Pawniard, a Noibat, and Phantump.
ORAS: My other four were a Trapinch, a Lotad, a Skamory, and a Wailmer. Currently hunting for a Dratini.

Last edited:
My first shiny was a Magikarp. *slow clap*, but I also had a shiny Excadrill, but I traded it. I also have shiny Mantine and Aerodactyl. I use shiny Aerodactyl for online matches, since he kind of represents me, yet Dragonite represents me more.

I have nearly a whole box full of shiny pokemon, but i only caught one myself and that was my first ever shiny pokemon.
Let me tell ye me tale of woe.

I was walking around on Route 2 in X trying to find pokemon to wonder trade away (Yes, i know.) and i stumbled across a white and grey Bunnelby. I felt felt so lucky in finding my own shiny! And I had already completed the game by now. (For those wondering, it is a Diggersby now.) I have never found another shiny pokemon on my own since though. :(

Let me see...
Shiny wooper was my first
Then shiny floatzel
Shiny glameow
2 shiny cottonees
Shiny panpour
Shiny basculin
Shiny gulpin
Shiny minun
Shiny claydol
Shiny crobat
Shiny staraptor
I found a shiny rydon but no pokeballs
...i think thats all i found and cought...i found them all with no hacks or cheats...and even no methods...all just luck

My first Shiny ever was Shiny Poochyena in Pkmn Ruby. I was shocked "Gold Poochyena?! Catch it!" I didn't know what shiny is at the time being :@

My second shiny was... SHINY RAYQUAZA. Yes... My first ever Rayquaza was shiny.. I was like "Hm... I will be so shocked if I get sh- *shiny Rayquaza appears, Zamcio cries like little girl* SHINYYYYY!" and yeah, I caught it.

I have seen 4 shiny not including gyradoes in gen 2. In Heart Gold I ran into a shiny zubat and my brother killed it .-. I have a shiny roselia in Platinum this one is actually there. In Omega Ruby I have a shiny oddish. This is a tragic shiny. In my first run of Omega Ruby after Wally got his ralts I got mine. First encounter shiny male ralts. :D Then I wanted to redo my adventure so I gave it to my brother for now. And he deleted it. Yup deleted. I cry when I see a shiny gallade now. I think my brother hates shinies because he has never found one. So he kills mine.

This is kind of a long post, so I'm going to separate it into spoilers for each of my shinies
zubat.gif

Game: Pokemon Platinum
Levels: 3 to 14
Caught: Yes
Still Have: No
Now, as you guys know, Zubat isn't the most special Pokemon out there. But since it's my first shiny (and only shiny prior to Gen 6's increased shiny rate), I seem to hate it less. Here's the story. I was looking for a Kricketot (shut up, I was a noob) when out of the blue, a green Zubat popped up with a sparkle around it. I thought I remembered reading something about 'rare Pokemon with different colors' so I looked it up. After I saw just how rare these 'shiny Pokemon' were, I went on to throw a Poke Ball at it and caught the green Zubat on my first try. I put it in my box and continued on through the game. When I got to the elite 4, I was having trouble beating them, so I decided to look up how to restart my game. It wasn't until afterward that I remembered about the shiny Zubat that I had just erased from existence. R.I.P. Shiny Zubat, you will be missed.
whismur.gif

Game: Pokemon Y
Levels: 7 to 7
Caught: No
This is probably the shiny I got the most frustrated over losing. I had been hearing people finding all sorts of shinies when Pokemon X and Y came out, and I had tried to hunt them multiple times, but the short attention span I had didn't want to cooperate. At first, I had Pokemon X, and then decided to get Y just for a game I could restart multiple times with my teams being safe on my other game. The first time I played through Y, I got excited when a green-eared Whismur popped up in a horde of 5; my first shiny in a long time. So excited, in fact, that tears of joy quickly turned to tears of sadness when I dropped my 3DS. Thankfully, the 3DS was okay, but the Whismur was not. I sat there, eyes wide, staring at the frozen screen with the message "The Game Card was removed. Press the HOME Button to return to the HOME Menu." I had a chance to get a shiny that I could keep, and in that moment of excitement, I lost it. A shiny Exploud would have been nice, but oh well. R.I.P. Shiny Whismur, you will be missed, like your Zubat brother.
fletchling.gif

Game: Pokemon Y
Name: Elizabeth
Levels: 4 to 72
Still Have: Yes
There's not as much to say about this Pokemon, but I found it as a Fletchling in Santalune Forest. This shiny Fletchling was yet another chance to get a shiny that I could keep forever, so I threw a few Poke Balls at it. Eventually, I caught it, and named it Elizabeth. This is one of the reasons I started to like Talonflame; before that, I had just thought of it as another kinda-cool-but-mostly-overrated Pokemon. I continued to use Elizabeth through the entire game as my ace, and it ended up at level 72, where it is now.

talonflame.gif
poochyena.gif

Game: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
Name: Special
Levels: 2 to 2
Still Have: Yes
Thought Elizabeth's story was short? Well, this is even shorter. I basically haven't touched my Poochyena since I caught it. It's still Level 2, and it's name is Special. I know, I'm creative. It's my most recent shiny, and that's about it.
Edit: I have since been successful with shiny hunting, and the rest of my shinies are listed in my signature.

Last edited:
Wonder trades are amazing! In levels of weirdness, I got a shiny Zubat, then a shiny Ninetales named ~Silverflame(I believe) and finally… a level 100 shiny Spiritomb with Pokerus. Hacked? That's up to you to decide.

god i need to vent....i hate absol's shiny....i love the pokemon soooo much!!! it needed to have a reversed color scheme or something....just not that awful red....

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Caught my first Shiny of Moon quite early in the game. A female Wingull Modest Nature, Hydration Ability. I have granted her the name Seahawk after the Shiny Wingull I caught in Platinum years ago.

Eeeeeeee! Carbink is one of my favourite shinies and I just chained one! I've called it Ain, and its Naive so probably not going to be battling too much but I really don't care this little guy is so beautiful ~

Last edited:
I can't remember for sure, but I think my first shiny was a Lairon. The best shiny I ever get was off wondertrade though. It was a shiny Yanma. It had 5ivs, lacking attack ivs which doesn't really matter since it's a special attacker. It had speed boost and had a modest nature. I actually screamed when I saw it and screamed louder when I saw it's ivs. It was probably genned though, or some guy in Japan just wondertraded away the luckiest egg hatch in the world.

Let me see...
Shiny wooper was my first
Then shiny floatzel
Shiny glameow
2 shiny cottonees
Shiny panpour
Shiny basculin
Shiny gulpin
Shiny minun
Shiny claydol
Shiny crobat
Shiny staraptor
I found a shiny rydon but no pokeballs
...i think thats all i found and cought...i found them all with no hacks or cheats...and even no methods...all just luck
Nobody finds that many shiny Pokemon with luck, randomly. By the way, you listed first evolutions, middle evolutions, and last evolutions, showing that you HAD to have encountered these final evolutions in the wild. Tell me what game you found these in, and I will believe you.

Nobody finds that many shiny Pokemon with luck, randomly.

Uhhhhhh you do know how randomness works right? The chances of finding a shiny are either 1/8192, or 1/4096, depending on the game, at minimum. That's a baseline chance, so it doesn't mean that after every 8192 or 4096 encounters you'll find a shiny - that is the chance every single time you encounter a Pokemon. Given that, there is nothing (to my knowledge) that suggests that nobody could ever find 13 shiny Pokemon without hunting for them. It is a random chance. It's possible to find three of the same shinies in a very short time period of time. You can even find two shinies at the same time. Is it unlikely? Absolutely. Impossible? No.

They could still be lying, but even if they are, who cares? You only really gain bragging rights from it, which isn't much in my opinion. Or if they're hacked, you lose the joy of the hunt or the surprise in finding it. Its their loss.

Uhhhhhh you do know how randomness works right? The chances of finding a shiny are either 1/8192, or 1/4096, depending on the game, at minimum. That's a baseline chance, so it doesn't mean that after every 8192 or 4096 encounters you'll find a shiny - that is the chance every single time you encounter a Pokemon. Given that, there is nothing (to my knowledge) that suggests that nobody could ever find 13 shiny Pokemon without hunting for them. It is a random chance. It's possible to find three of the same shinies in a very short time period of time. You can even find two shinies at the same time. Is it unlikely? Absolutely. Impossible? No.

They could still be lying, but even if they are, who cares? You only really gain bragging rights from it, which isn't much in my opinion. Or if they're hacked, you lose the joy of the hunt or the surprise in finding it. Its their loss.
I know about the odds and all that crap, but you'd have to be actively SEARCHING for these. Also, a shiny CROBAT would be almost impossible unless you're looking for it. They have a 5% encounter rate on one route in a small patch of grass in Pokemon Black, and since they listed both first, middle, and final evolutions, that means that the Crobat was caught as a Crobat, which means that they hunted them. I'm not trying to say that they DON'T have some of these, I'm trying to say that they HUNTED for some of these rather than being random encounters. I also wanted to throw this out there, none of the shinies I have were caught by me. They were either from friends or GTS.

Nobody finds that many shiny Pokemon with luck, randomly. By the way, you listed first evolutions, middle evolutions, and last evolutions, showing that you HAD to have encountered these final evolutions in the wild. Tell me what game you found these in, and I will believe you.
found the wooper and floatzel in pearl...found the 2 shiny cottonees in two different files in black..found my shiny zubat and got her to a crobat in heart gold...shiny panpour in x...found shiny gulpin to swalot in omega ruby then found a shiny minun in another file of omega ruby...my latest was shiny basculin in black version...found my shiny staravia in pearl and evolved it to staraptor...then found shiny claydol in a sapphire plythrough.

One of my funny shiny moments I think was pretty funny was when I was breeding a competitive Zangoose I been at it for awhile it was on the second day of breeding late at night I was so tired from hatching so many eggs I was thinking I was starting to go mad. It was then one of the eggs hatched a shiny one I know what you are thinking I would be freaking out about hatching a random shiny keep in mind I am tire from lack of sleep and I swear the only thing on my mind was I kid you not this is what I said.....(Why are you blue?)

I've found two shinies on Pokémon Sun so far.
A shiny Lycanroc (Midnight) through a random encounter while leveling up my team to face the Elite 4 and Champion. I named her Sanic, since she reminds me of Sonic the Hedgehog a bit.

And a shiny Rufflet through SOS chaining. I only just caught him about an hour ago, and I got him on 63 turns. I named him Streak, after an eagle character from the Owls of Ga'Hoole series.

Well to be perfectly honest I'm not Shiny crazy. I've only caught one shiny, and that was indirectly. I was playing a Pokemon Leaf Green Nuzlocke. Well it was my friend's challenge, but he had to do something and wandered off. I decided to try to help him and catch him a new pokemon in the next area. it was a Shiny Rattata and I caught it for him. That shiny Raticate (cause it evolved) became one of his strongest pokemon, so i started a legend.

I do have lots of shines, and I just kinda shiny hunt as a hobby. My first ever shiny was a shiny Kecleon in the Friend Safari, and I just kinda left it at that until a year ago, I started shiny hunting a lot more and I have found 17 shinies as of the time this was typed. I am currently breeding for a shiny Drampa.

caught shiny cottonee and shiny oricorio in mele mele garden on my last pokemon sun playthrough. I'm slowly getting better at being patient with sos chains, and mostly using a fearow with aerial ace, false swipe and roost, needless to say leppa berries have never been more useful for me.

I found a shiny alolan grimer whilst finishing my moon pokedex on sunday, then after receiving the shiny charm it felt right to go find a shiny pikipek and that be the first pokemon i catch after completing my pokedex, genuinely almost killed it where its only slightly different, not sure what i want to chain next though =/

A few months ago, I finished my game of Pokemon Moon. I wanted to catch some random pokemon as I didn't really feel like completing my dex. I was looking for a pichu in the wrong patch of grass in Hau'oli City which resulted in my freaking out over my first shiny ever. A Yungoos...
Ah well, now I have trump with dyed hair. Lol :p

Edit: New shiny!
Ayyy! Me and my brother had just finished a link battle, and started a shiny race.
We both laughed because we are impatient as crap.

Until my brother encountered a shiny Skarmory on Mount Hokulani.
Dang! I wanted it! D:

Another edit:
Really hyped up right now. I like to shiny hunt without the shiny charm. My encounters were as follows: Beldum, Minior (used Self-Destruct), Fearow, Fearow.
Then, I encountered a Ditto. I thought: "Cool, a Ditto!". Until it sparkled.
It was a shiny Ditto. I caught it. Shiny daycare pokemon!!! Yeeeeeeeh!

Last edited:
The ultra wormhole has become far too addictive, that said, i took longer than i'm happy to admit doing it with motion controls. Circle pad in hand, I've had a good few days. In approximate order of catching...
Abomasnow, Barbaracle, Quagsire, Floatzel, Drapion, Crustle, Heliolisk, Uxie... I think that's all so far... Very chuffed with my Drapion, wanted one for years =)

Last edited:
I don't know if this is the place for this. But what's everyone's favourite shiny/ies? Shiny Minior has got to take the cake for me. Also love shiny Umbreon and Zorua.

Been playing pokemon go since the start of may. So far my shinies have been, Aron, Kabuto (x3), larvitar (x8), Kyogre (x3), Squirtle (x9, 3 with sunglasses), and a poochyena =) hunting so much for shiny magikarp

My list of every shiny i have caught:

Shiny Boldore-while playing through Sun for the first time, i was walking through the canyon, and this just appeared. I was so happy, and luckily, i caught it.

Shiny Kyurem-in my Pokémon Black save File i managed to soft reset for a shiny Kyurem.

Shiny Rockruff-caught this in the Ten Carat Hill area labeled “Farthest Hollow” or something like that.

Shiny Landorus-in Diamond, i think, i soft reset for a shiny Landorus.

Shiny Zapdos-Ultra wormhole soft resets.

And then a ton of Ultra wormhole exclusives:

Shiny Sigilyph, Shiny Hippowdon, 2 Shiny Stunfisks, 2 Shiny Abomasnows, Shiny Swellow, Shiny Crustle, Shiny Nuzleaf

So I was fishing for a Carvanha to use on my Omega Ruby team when I stumbled across a shiny Tentacool. I've since added him to the team and have dubbed him Borealis.

I've also been trying to soft reset for a shiny Tepig in Pokemon Black, but no luck at 700 resets yet.

I have way too many shiny stories but heres two

So I was sos hunting for a shiny mareep (Ampharos is my favourite Shiny and second favourite pokemon), I gave up after almost 4 hours of on and off hunting, when finishing my chain I would catch the last getting great IVs so I decided to breed for a competitive ampharos, I got really close to perfect IVs and nature and then Instantly I got a shiny mareep, this wasn't even masuda method and I was so happy yet sorta annoyed, now I use it competitively, ok so I went to bed and then I got up in the morning and got the shiny zygarde event (It was June) and then I decided to Momento-Recycle method a 4iv ditto, I got one and on my second chain I found a shiny! It isn`t imposter though so I cant use it competitively.

Ok this time I was breeding for a synchronize abra with a nature for a competitive suicune set, before I got the correct nature I randomly got a shiny! but my reaction wasn`t great and I was kinda annoyed that it took me longer to get the nature than a shiny, but the correct nature reaction was crazy, somehow it took like 3 hours though.

Man, not even 10 days later... So I've been playing a Cagelocke with my friend in Platinum (basically a Nuzlocke, except after every gym we each choose a Pokemon to battle to the death, winner Pokemon gets to use either TMs, held items, or a revive), and while training up a Raichu to help against Crasher Wake I stumbled across a shiny Buizel. Her name is Gemini and I love her. I'd like to use her in the 'locke, but I have no idea who to move out of my team to accommodate for her even though I do need a water type. I'll figure it out.