• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokécharms Is Getting An Upgrade

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
This is advance warning that we will be taking Pokécharms offline on Monday, August 29th at 9:00am BST (click this link to convert it to your local timezone) for approximately two hours, in order to make improvements and upgrades.

This time, we're not improving just one aspect of the site – we're introducing some major changes centred around a brand new look for Pokécharms.

Brand New Look

We've been using the same visual style on Pokécharms since September 2013 – nearly three years! It's a great style, but the time has come to change it up. Our aim was to make Pokécharms look more clean and modern in time for Pokémon Sun and Moon, as well as to improve some of the core functionality.

For example, we've completely redone the navigation on mobile phones and small tablets. Now, for those users, the menu appears as a panel that slides in from the side of the page. We've also tweaked the user menu on mobile – now you can see your alerts and conversation messages in a new panel, as well as having easier access to all the user menu's normal functions. Everything should be much easier to access now!

Rebuilt Profiles

We've promised a revamp of our profiles since it was the most-requested feature in a recent "new features" poll, and I'm happy to announce today that they're finally done.

We've added a new box to the profiles that contains your About Me section, moving it out of the Information tab and making it appear front and centre when viewing your profile. You can use it to tell visitors who you are, what you do, and so on. A random selection of your works and trainer cards will be visible on your profiles too, letting people get a quick snapshot of your work here on 'Charms.

This revamp also serves as the foundation for some other profile improvements – watch this space in the future for more...

And Lots More...

These two features are just the start – there's lots of changes and improvements, designed to make browsing Pokécharms easier and more fun. We hope you enjoy all the new stuff when it launches on Monday!

Last edited:

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
September 2013. Wow. It feels like it wasn't that long ago since the last upgrade but it's been nearly three years. Everything you have in store for us sounds really awesome so I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for all of your hard work at keeping Pokecharms thriving Teapot!

Just as a random thought, can I take it the next major upgrade will be a few months before Gen VIII starts? :p

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Looking forward to it. Here's to actually having backgrounds that won't turn my entire 'Charms look into white text! (I'm wondering how many of the few that heard about that actually remember that. XD)
I'm not so sure what that is, but my guess is it's caused by the fonts we use on the current theme. We've adjusted those so that you won't see the "flash" of blank text anymore for the new theme.

Omg I'm looking forward to the mobile update XD
Me too! The staff have been testing the new mobile navigation for a while, and I think it's much improved over what we have now. I'm really looking forward to letting you all get your hands on it :)

Just as a random thought, can I take it the next major upgrade will be a few months before Gen VIII starts? :p
Cheeky! ;) I'm hoping to make improvement a bit more often than that, even though I know it's slower going than I'd like.

I'm excited for what's coming! I hope all goes well during the process and that no horrid little bugs (or hackers) will be caught in our powerful web of administrators (as in, we don't encounter any and that they wont really be around).

Anyways, I can hardly hold down my excitement for that day, especially since this site will have major upgrades ^^

I have a guestion though. When you say change up the visual style to make it modern and clean for Pokemon sun and moon, it's not ALL Going to be sun and moon is it? Then I would be sad as a magikarp in a no splashing zone.;_;:( Especially if it's all sun and moon!

Last edited: