• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokécharms Story Writing Month 2013

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
ChaWriMo is back! And yes, I am starting this thread in the middle of November, because it gives everyone a month and a half to plan.

For those who have no idea what this is, ChaWriMo is Charms' take on NaNoWriMo, or, National Novel Writing Month, which was started years ago as something to just get people writing, and it's actually observed on an international level now so their name needs changing too.

Our challenge is basically the same, though our page limit is shorter than NaNoWriMo's.

What's the goal?: Your goal is to write a complete 25,000 word story from scratch (approximately 50 pages if you write 500 words per page). It must have a clear beginning and ending. Since that's only half of the original NaNoWriMo word goal, you're free to write more - just don't go overboard and miss the deadline.

The idea is to not worry about quality, standards, or any of those other things that get in the way of writing, but instead to just write as much as you can. Yes, that means your story is not supposed to be meticulously edited and proofread - that can come after the month is over. It's about being creative and getting words out of your head and onto the page.

How to take part: All you have to do is post in this topic saying you're taking part. Put "[ChaWriMo]" in the title of your story when you post it - we'll link to it via this main thread. After that, you're free to update your entry topic as you choose - just let us know when you finish so we can verify your word count, add you to our completion list, and celebrate your accomplishment.

Last year, we actually had someone finish! Dwayna DragonFire managed to finish her story unlike the rest of you losers. This year, it'd be nice to see more fics get finished - but remember, having fun with it and writing without worrying is the main objective. We'll be handing out a snazzy new Pokéball and a custom title to anyone who manages to finish ChaWriMo this year, mind you. So there's that.

So, if you're interested, just post in the topic and let us know. We'll be starting on January 1st and ending midnight January 31st, in whichever timezone you happen to be in.

I'm definitely going to try it out. I have some beginnings of stories lying around I'll see which one I pick! Inspiration has always been a problem for me, so this might actually help me out.

Mr.RMA

Magearna before it was cool
Conflicted...conflicted...never gave this a shot before, but I've been wanting to write something for a while now...ah, what the hell! I'm gonna give it a go! I've got this old idea of mine I've been meaning to work on, so I may as well see what I can make of it.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'll just say I'm taking part like I do every year, even though the chances of me actually taking part are horrendously slim. Lying to myself is fun. :'D

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Whoot, finally I can do ChaWriMo~ I'll be done with college apps by this December (actually, if everything goes right and I don't procrastinate, by this weekend), and so I'll have plenty of time to plan and think and maybe even participate for once. :D

I really want to say that I will try, and hopefully succeed, at this (this time). However, January doesn't bode too well with my courses, as most of them have major assessments due in that month. If I do try to do this, I will certainly start late, probably the 20th of January at the earliest, or just relocate mine to February. Either way, to those above and below me, good luck!

Dwayna DragonFire

2014 Little Cup Champion
I've been meaning to write another fic for a while, so I could end up joining again. I hope to see some good competition this year. ;3 Good luck to all of you.

I have a some questions is there a standard font or font size to use because fonts vary in size because someone writing in Stencil size 18 will have to write less than someone using Ariel size 12.

I use Calibri size 11 as my base font and noticed from reports and previous narratives and I usually fit around 800-1000 words. I'm just wondering because it may prevent me writing unnecessary amounts and adding laborious plot twists that could ruin my narrative :)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Rileyixx said:
I have a some questions is there a standard font or font size to use because fonts vary in size because someone writing in Stencil size 18 will have to write less than someone using Ariel size 12.

I use Calibri size 11 as my base font and noticed from reports and previous narratives and I usually fit around 800-1000 words. I'm just wondering because it may prevent me writing unnecessary amounts and adding laborious plot twists that could ruin my narrative :)

Try to aim for 25,000 words regardless of how many pages you end up having. Once you post your story on the 'Charms forums it'll be the word count that people pay attention to anyways. ^^

Ah okay the way it was written made me think it was the page count that mattered :) I would have ended up doing around 50,000 word probably more with the long plot twists if I paid attention to the page count xD

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
So, it's December 19th. We've got exactly two weeks until ChaWriMo starts - how's everyone's planning going? What kind of ideas are you knocking around? Are you going to just write and see what happens, or do you have a defined story?

Personally, I have a fairly solid outline for what I plan to write - although it's only half finished thus far. The story is about super powered individuals, but what would happen if they were actually real people and comic book logic didn't apply. But beyond that, it's about a girl who tries to deal with her life being turned upside down, and how she deals with being almost unique, and learns to live with having an incredibly destructive power that she can't control.

So, what about you guys?

I'm afraid I'm not going to make it this year, either. I'm not doing as well in school as I'd hoped I'd be doing and I really can't spare the time every day or have the added stress. It's a shame NaNoWriMo is always in the winter months, because those are the busier periods in my school- I might try unofficially this summer.

I have an idea for a romance story there isn't gonna be anything too graphic in there and then I'll add some twists and turns in to boost the word count up

Dwayna DragonFire

2014 Little Cup Champion
I think I'm going to write about my elven paladin character who lives throughout the ages. She goes through many hardships, including wars, apocalypse and loss of loved ones. An explorer for the many millenia she has been alive, it's sure to be a story filled with adventure.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
I'm going to write a ridiculous story that no one, not me, not any of you, not even the characters, should take seriously. In short, it will (hopefully) be a zany comedy that thrives on Refuge in Audacity and has no respect for the fourth wall. At worst KoL just does a fail fic reading of it which would still be utterly hilarious! XD

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Teapot said:
So, it's November 19th.
It's still November? (jk iluPetey)

To be completely honest, I was going in with the mindset that I'm just going to wing everything and create a story with just what pops in my head. Or something like that.

... yeah. Expect many plotholes, Mary Sues, and disorganization. *shot* Maybe I should actually start planning this winter break |D

Mr.RMA

I've got a basic premise set, as well as the general outline for my main characters, but I'm still working on some details concerning the plot. What I've got planned so far is something of a dystopian-escape story with a different narrator for each chapter, or something of that variety. Of course, if this proves too complicated, I'll probably axe it and switch to a more conventional approach. Definitely not expecting to make the best story ever, or even one that's better than or equal to the finished products of you more experienced/gifted participants, but I'd like to, if anything, actually get around to finishing a work of this magnitude for the first time. Guess that's really the point of all this though, huh?

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
If I am really allowed to essentially write sheer and utter nonsense then I will definitely take part in this. I kind of want to just start writing and see what it turns into as I go along. Essentially chronicling the creative process, to dress up the crap that I'll be putting out at first. xP

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Sir Red said:
If I am really allowed to essentially write sheer and utter nonsense then I will definitely take part in this. I kind of want to just start writing and see what it turns into as I go along. Essentially chronicling the creative process, to dress up the crap that I'll be putting out at first. xP
there is absolutely no reason why you can't do that. :) Go for it!

I think I will participate in this. I'll try to finish, but I'm really bad at finishing stories. But I have a few ideas in my head so I think I can start something and see where it goes. Seems fun :)

I don't think so, Carmi. I think a lot of us are uploading the entire thing when it is finished.

Anyway I've already written 2500 words, this may be easier than I thought

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Carmen Lopez said:
I'm currently on my phone with limited internet connection right now. Do we have to post today?
You don't have to post at all if you don't want to - this is a structured month for getting people to write above all else. Getting people posting would be great, though by no means required.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Dark Soul said:
It's a shame NaNoWriMo is always in the winter months, because those are the busier periods in my school- I might try unofficially this summer.

There's no reason why our ChaNoWriMo can't be twice a year. July's a month when people in most parts of the world are free from school/college/university, and even people who work for a living might have holidays... Even NaNoWriMo itself has smaller events at other times of year, though I can't remember offhand which two months are used for them.

Still haven't decided if I'm doing this or not. I have a story that needs finishing, which I wrote 2018 words for yesterday, and posted at Ao3. (Warning: Adult content - Huzzah!.) There is one chapter left of that to go. I have a story that needs finishing which is absolutely obscene, and I've only written the preliminary part of it. I have another story which is all angst and woe, which does not exist at all yet. And then there is my NaNoWriMo novel which needs to be at least twice as long as it currently is before the story is anywhere near completed.

And what am I doing? Bad drawing. Hrm.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Well, I started this 5/6 days late because it was more interesting than doing an essay. Currently 3190 words in. All it is is a reboot of one of my old fics, but considering I'm not even finished with the first chapter yet, I may end up going well over the word limit.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Just here to say I'm dropping out. The month is already half over and I've barely got 2000 words down. Classes have started again and this is looking to be a pretty busy semester so I doubt I'll find the time to put down the remaining 23,000. I guess I'll just have to try again next year.

I'm dropping out as well. I recently started up a role play on another website so I have been and will be writing this month. I'm pretty much getting what I'd hoped to get out of this challenge, just through the RP instead. So for now I wanna focus my time and creativity on that and maybe try this again in 2014 :p

Dwayna DragonFire

2014 Little Cup Champion
I have to say, I really enjoyed pushing my creativity to the limits again. Though to be perfectly honest, I doubt I'll be doing it another year. I'd prefer to have ample time to let my brain work out what I'm going to do with a story instead of feeling so rushed.

Regardless, I feel quite accomplished with myself. It was a hard fought run, and I'd like to thank the people who supported me. Hope you guys have better luck completing your stories next year.

Mr.RMA

Wait, wait, hold up! By some miracle, I managed to finish mine as well before it hit midnight over here! Still, I agree that Dway deserves special recognition for doing it twice.