• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokémon Day announcements: Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl and Pokémon Legends: Arceus

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
diamond-pearl-arceus-banner.jpg

After what feels like years of speculation, The Pokémon Company finally today said "Sinnoh Confirmed!" - not once, but twice!

Pokemon_Brilliant_Diamond_Shining_Pearl_09.png

Coming later this year, and developed by ILCA, Inc - whose experience includes games such as Code Vein, NieR Automata and Yakuza 0 - under Game Freak's direction, Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl are incredibly faithful remakes of the 2006 DS originals. Brought bang-up-to-date with a chibi-style to match the original's overworld sprites and promising to keep hold of player-friendly conveniences of later releases (No HMs, please!), these games promise to really capture the original gameplay and visual style of the originals on the Switch.

Pokemon_Brilliant_Diamond_Shining_Pearl_03.png

We'll have to wait and see whether we'll get a sniff of any of Platinum's changes in these releases, but there's still some good news in store if you're a little let down by how similar they are to the original Diamond and Pearl.

Sticking to the Sinnoh Region, early next year Game Freak will be bringing out an entirely new kind of Pokémon game: Pokémon Legends Arceus.

Pokemon_Legends_Arceus_screenhot_04.jpg

Taking heavy inspiration from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, this seems like a true evolution of Sword and Shield's burgeoning open-world design in the Wild Area and DLC locations.

Pokemon_Legends_Arceus_screenhot_11.jpg

Set in Sinnoh's Fuedal past, your mission will be to explore and create the Sinnoh Region's first ever Pokédex. We don't know much else of the story beyond that, but with Arceus playing a literal title role, it seems likely there'll be a lot more to the game than just filling up your Pokedex.

While there is a continuity of basic capture and battling features from previous main series Pokémon games, Pokémon Legends makes all of these seamless acts rather than fading into and out of pre-defined battle scenes. We'll have to wait to find out a lot more about it, but it definitely looks like an exciting evolution of the main series games.

D

Deleted member 284192

Since I had low expectations for the remakes, it seems fine. The BD/SP chibi art style and nearly 1:1 scale overworld caught me off guard, but I'm not particularly upset about it. I kind of find it a bit charming even. I'm more concerned about whether the game will satisfy a $60 price tag, assuming that's how much they're charging.

Pokemon Legends: Arceus though? I'm really excited to see Gamefreak take such an ambitious leap with the mainline series, especially since they outsourced the Sinnoh remakes. The actual trailer showcased some concerningly rough presentation. I know this is the first time Gamefreak has ever worked on something to this scale so I can understand why that might be, and I'm sure stuff like some of the choppy frame rate will be cleaned up before its release. My main concern is that I hope it doesn't suffer from the same egregious pop-in that Sw/Sh did. Most of the shots from the trailer looked pretty barren in terms of Pokemon and in general, but I guess we won't know until we see. Otherwise, I'm really excited to see them push the series forward, and considering gyms and the Pokemon league probably won't be in this game, I'm very interested to see what kinds of objectives this game will have, aside from completing the very first pokedex.

Oh right, Yay! New Pokemon Snap looks so pretty!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's too bad the DP remakes are 1:1, not getting to see the cities in 3D is a shame.

ORAS looks better than the DP remakes and it came out on an underpowered handheld back in 2014...and now these games are $59.99 in 2021. Besides that it's probably going to lack Platinum's additions, I'm sure the Battle Frontier will be axed again, and maybe even the distortion world and Looker/Charon. Dawn not getting any new outfit in the base game like May did in ORAS is odd too.

The fact that Gamefreak outsourced the DP remakes to another company makes me feel they're only making them out of obligation rather than any real interest. ORAS had shortcomings (leaving everything out from Emerald), but at least it changed and updated a lot over the originals.

as someone who hasn't finished the original diamond game , i think i'll be getting arceus legends....
the brilliant diamond graphics look so downgraded in terms of colour , texture , and quality compared to Let's Go Pikachu / Eevee .
I doubt Cynthia will be as good as everyone knows , especially with the add of fairy type .

Excited for arceus legends though !