• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokémon Red, Blue, and Yellow Heading to 3DS eShop

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
In today's Nintendo Direct, Nintendo have dropped a surprise reveal: All the first generation Pokémon games – Pokémon Red, Pokémon Blue, and Pokémon Yellow – have been confirmed for a release in the 3DS Virtual Console.

The games are nearly identical to their original releases - however, the games have been upgraded to use local Wi-Fi instead of a Link Cable, to allow trades and battles on the 3DS.

The games will be released on February 27th, 2016 worldwide - exactly 20 years to the day after the games were released in Japan.

Japan are also getting Pokémon Green, which was never released internationally. They're also getting boxed copies of all four games.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Updated the article with details of the worldwide release and the trailer :)

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
I knew it! Well, not this specifically, but I knew Game Freak was going to do something special re: Gen I for the 20th anniversary. My hypothesis for Blazing Fire Red and Vibrant Leaf Green may be dashed, but this is way better! I look forward to playing Blue again for the hundredth time! Or maybe I can get both! =0

HOLY CRAP

2016 will be the year of nostalgia, I sense it. And now we get all the young ones who get to experience the pain pleasure of the original games...when compared to everything after.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
This isn't necessarily the anniversary release that I wanted but it's still pretty awesome nonetheless. I'll mostly likely grab Yellow first, because I've only played it through once, and debate picking up Red or Blue afterwards. Must have my PikaPal back again. :3

Edit: Those Japanese box releases are glorious. So deeply jealous. </3

Last edited:
I'm guessing it's taken this long for a 3DS release is because of all the glitches in the original games.
Reportedly all the same glitches will still be in, so have fun with Missingno, Glitch City and the (real) Mew Trick.

I think what took the time was getting a link cable trading surrogate going-- now that they figured it out, it will be cool to see if they release the other gens on VC as well.

Burgundy

Formerly SuperSableye24
This is great! I wonder which version I'll get :nom:

I'm still way more hyped about Zelda and Smash news. (LINKLE ASDFGHJKL)

Oooh~ I'm looking forward to this! Yeah I got Leafgreen and all..but nothing beats the originals! I remember my first ever game was a pokemon game..Pokemon Blue..I never finished it because I got stuck at Victory road xD;

HOLY CRAP! HOLY CRAP! THIS IS HAPPENING! HOLY CRAP!<.>;_;@.@:D>_<:halo::o

Hm-hm. Now that I've got that out of my system, I'm really excited that they're finally going to be doing this. I'm definitely planning on getting at least one of these games when they come out.

While I'm already completely happy and content with this, the only thing they could've done to make this better is if they found some way to transfer these pokémon into the Gen VI games through Pokémon Bank. At the very least, it would probably entice people who still feel upset that over not being able to transfer their Gameboy pokémon over to Gen III back when Ruby & Sapphire came out.

I've never been able to play a Gen I game. Closest I ever got was Pokemon Crystal. >_<

However, my first Pokemon game was FireRed, so I'm gonna have to snatch up Red version. Or maybe Blue. Or Yellow? I don't know, this is new territory for me! ^3^

They better not have fixed the glitches. The nostalgia of Gen I would be ruined if the games weren't glitchy and broken.
There are too many glitches and broken gameplay mechanics in Gen 1 that if the glitches were to be kept there are going a lot of problems with a few customers. (that and the company is most likely to patch up the game in order to stop most or all of the glitches)

I'm glad that they're giving another nod to the originals. I've waiting so long for this to finally come back around, though I honestly was expecting something in the form of a Wii U release.

I am wondering though, along with the upgraded connectivity, if they'll make any subtle/profound changes to the games, or if they'll be straightforward carbon copies. :)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
There are too many glitches and broken gameplay mechanics in Gen 1 that if the glitches were to be kept there are going a lot of problems with a few customers. (that and the company is most likely to patch up the game in order to stop most or all of the glitches)

There are so many glitches and bugs in the game that it wouldn't be a simple case of patching in on top of the ROM to deal with them, so they're definitely not going to be fixed.

These aren't ports or remakes, they're emulated versions of the original ROM. The only real difference is that they've done some magic with the emulator itself to replicate the link cable with the 3DS' wireless connection. Which isn't that new or surprising as Gameboy emulators were doing that kind of things for yeaaaaars. They'll be presented as they were - warts and all. And that's exactly as it should be, too. If you want to play a fixed version of R/B, that's what FR/LG is for.

YueliaBreeze

Formerly Midnight Midna, MoonSnow
To bad for me i won't be able to get these games but the good news is that i've aleady played them and than god for not having the annoying link cable as bill said yesterday in the direct XD

I just knew Game Freak would do something for 20 years of Pokemon, and this seems legit. I was half expecting remade versions of RBGY alongside Z or something, but this is a delight as well.

Yes! Pokemon hype!

(Ahem.)

I have been wondering for a while when they would add these games to the 3DS shop, considering that they added a few others previously. I'm not exactly excited to see the likes of the glitches if Nintendo decide to leave a few of them in, particularly because of destructive glitches such as the ZZAZZ glitch and Glitch City if you walk outside the boundaries. I'm more particularly interested in experiencing what the Pokemon veterans had been through for myself.

There are so many glitches and bugs in the game that it wouldn't be a simple case of patching in on top of the ROM to deal with them, so they're definitely not going to be fixed.

These aren't ports or remakes, they're emulated versions of the original ROM. The only real difference is that they've done some magic with the emulator itself to replicate the link cable with the 3DS' wireless connection. Which isn't that new or surprising as Gameboy emulators were doing that kind of things for yeaaaaars. They'll be presented as they were - warts and all. And that's exactly as it should be, too. If you want to play a fixed version of R/B, that's what FR/LG is for.
True

Man, iam so hyped for this to also come out in The Netherlands (It does, right?). I also love it that the original ones came out on my birthday.

Yes! Pokemon hype!

(Ahem.)

I have been wondering for a while when they would add these games to the 3DS shop, considering that they added a few others previously. I'm not exactly excited to see the likes of the glitches if Nintendo decide to leave a few of them in, particularly because of destructive glitches such as the ZZAZZ glitch and Glitch City if you walk outside the boundaries. I'm more particularly interested in experiencing what the Pokemon veterans had been through for myself.
ZZAZZ and Glitch City?
(Don't kill me, I only know like three glitches for these games)

ZZAZZ and Glitch City?
(Don't kill me, I only know like three glitches for these games)
its ok i only know glitch city andMissing.No http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ZZAZZ_glitch
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Glitch_City

HOLY CRAP

2016 will be the year of nostalgia, I sense it. And now we get all the young ones who get to experience the pain pleasure of the original games...when compared to everything after.
are you trying to say 2nd and 3rd bad. you need to play gen 2 and 3 if you haven't already

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow so hyped well if I ever get a 3ds but I digress anyway the thing is I still have a red cartridge but it's been abused with missing no glitch city all that so it virtually unplayable but I still have it right here by my tv here I'll take a pic of it

Can't wait for them to release i always wanted to play them on my 3ds instead of using some kind of emulator on my pc.Hope they also bring gold,and sliver but that probably won't be until later on maybe