• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

XY/ORAS Singles Pokemon Y team

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalChromiforme

Formerly Aurora Beam
I need a little bit of help refining this team-
Ninjask w/ king's rock
-False Swipe
-Giga Drain
-Silver wind
-Mud slap

Exploud w/leftovers
-solarbeam
-boomburst
-smellingsalts
-flamethrower

Charizard w/charzardite Y
-flamethrower
-stone edge
-dragon claw
-rock slide

Grumpig w/king's rock
-extrasensory
-psychic
-zen headbutt
-Magic coat

Greninja w/ quick claw
-water shuriken
-shadow sneak
-extrasensory
-night slash

Articuno w/never melt ice
-frost breath
-blizzard
-sheer cold
-steel wing

I am debating making major changes to Grumpigs moveset, or at least removing magic coat, but unsure . . .

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
I think.. you need a lot of help refining your team.

First you should reference this thread for the basics, as four out of six of your pokemon break rule #3: Don't have two attacks of the same type on one pokemon. There are a few exceptions to this, but none of your pokemon fit the bill.

Second, several of your pokemon are using attacks that serve little or no purpose to them:
Ninjask, while best as a baton passer can still make for a pretty good scout and finisher. Ninjask is, however, a terrible special attacker and should never be using special attacks to deal damage, unless you're going for some very specialized targets with 4x weaknesses, and even then they will bounce off without KOing. False swipe is also a terrible competitive choice as it not only has a low base power, but prevents you from KOing your target.
Exploud as I recently learned, makes for a decent special attacker given STAB on Boomburst, as well as scrappy to surprise ghost types. As far as exploud sets go, it's mostly solid and pairs well with Charizard-Y [even if it mimics the coverage Charizard should have itself] Solarbeam is risky as Exploud may not always have sunlight to bolster it, but what stands out as a bad decision to me is Smellingsalts. Not only is this a physical move, but there's nothing on your team to paralyze for it.
Charizard... WHY HAVE THREE PHYSICAL ATTACKS. Every Charizard-Y should carry Solarbeam + Fire attack and then any choice of coverage/utilty among the last two slots. It -may- be worthwhile to have one physical attack [such as Earthquake for heatran, or some fighting move for Tyranitar] but to have more than one is an utter waste of your stats.
Grumpig's most valuable move currently is magic coat and I don't know why you'd consider removing it. It is also the worst case scenario as far as a lack of coverage goes. I don't know what's available to Grumpig, although I know it's best role is being specially defensive. Magic Coat is not a bad choice, but it's only STAB should be Psychic or Psyshock. Coincidentally, a king's rock on something so slow will likely never serve it's purpose.
Greninja suffers from the exact opposite problem as Grumpig - It's already fast enough and has no need for a quick claw. If you intend to keep a mostly offensive grumpig and don't want it to carry leftovers, it can make much better use of a quick claw. Greninja has the stats to pull a mixed sweeper off fairly well, and I would personally choose some different coverage options for the attacks - You don't need both Water Shuriken AND Shadow Sneak, one or the other will suffice. Greninja can also make great use of U-turn, Spikes, Ice Beam, and Taunt as possible options. If you decide to run it without a held item, Acrobatics is also available.
Articuno makes the third pokemon on this team to have a 4x weakness to rock, and thus would lose half of its HP to stealth rock just by switching in. That aside, it's set is also terrible and Sheer Cold will almost always be banned under normal circumstances. IF you're battling in a metagame that Sheer Cold is -not- banned, I'd advise teaching Articuno Mind Reader as it will guarantee Sheer Cold will hit. Next to that, you'd want roost and I don't even know what else because that's really all that this Articuno needs - Substitute perhaps. If you're playing somewhere that Sheer Cold -IS- banned, then you'll more than likely want to build Articuno to work like a specially defensive attacker or team support... with several weaknesses and no notable resistances. Reflect, Roost, Ice Beam and Toxic could make for a useable support set.

FalChromiforme

Formerly Aurora Beam
I think.. you need a lot of help refining your team.

First you should reference this thread for the basics, as four out of six of your pokemon break rule #3: Don't have two attacks of the same type on one pokemon. There are a few exceptions to this, but none of your pokemon fit the bill.

Second, several of your pokemon are using attacks that serve little or no purpose to them:
Ninjask, while best as a baton passer can still make for a pretty good scout and finisher. Ninjask is, however, a terrible special attacker and should never be using special attacks to deal damage, unless you're going for some very specialized targets with 4x weaknesses, and even then they will bounce off without KOing. False swipe is also a terrible competitive choice as it not only has a low base power, but prevents you from KOing your target.
Exploud as I recently learned, makes for a decent special attacker given STAB on Boomburst, as well as scrappy to surprise ghost types. As far as exploud sets go, it's mostly solid and pairs well with Charizard-Y [even if it mimics the coverage Charizard should have itself] Solarbeam is risky as Exploud may not always have sunlight to bolster it, but what stands out as a bad decision to me is Smellingsalts. Not only is this a physical move, but there's nothing on your team to paralyze for it.
Charizard... WHY HAVE THREE PHYSICAL ATTACKS. Every Charizard-Y should carry Solarbeam + Fire attack and then any choice of coverage/utilty among the last two slots. It -may- be worthwhile to have one physical attack [such as Earthquake for heatran, or some fighting move for Tyranitar] but to have more than one is an utter waste of your stats.
Grumpig's most valuable move currently is magic coat and I don't know why you'd consider removing it. It is also the worst case scenario as far as a lack of coverage goes. I don't know what's available to Grumpig, although I know it's best role is being specially defensive. Magic Coat is not a bad choice, but it's only STAB should be Psychic or Psyshock. Coincidentally, a king's rock on something so slow will likely never serve it's purpose.
Greninja suffers from the exact opposite problem as Grumpig - It's already fast enough and has no need for a quick claw. If you intend to keep a mostly offensive grumpig and don't want it to carry leftovers, it can make much better use of a quick claw. Greninja has the stats to pull a mixed sweeper off fairly well, and I would personally choose some different coverage options for the attacks - You don't need both Water Shuriken AND Shadow Sneak, one or the other will suffice. Greninja can also make great use of U-turn, Spikes, Ice Beam, and Taunt as possible options. If you decide to run it without a held item, Acrobatics is also available.
Articuno makes the third pokemon on this team to have a 4x weakness to rock, and thus would lose half of its HP to stealth rock just by switching in. That aside, it's set is also terrible and Sheer Cold will almost always be banned under normal circumstances. IF you're battling in a metagame that Sheer Cold is -not- banned, I'd advise teaching Articuno Mind Reader as it will guarantee Sheer Cold will hit. Next to that, you'd want roost and I don't even know what else because that's really all that this Articuno needs - Substitute perhaps. If you're playing somewhere that Sheer Cold -IS- banned, then you'll more than likely want to build Articuno to work like a specially defensive attacker or team support... with several weaknesses and no notable resistances. Reflect, Roost, Ice Beam and Toxic could make for a useable support set.

So, Okay, maybe take off smellingsalts-to be replaced with, maybe, Hyper beam. And I'm going to switch out Ninjask's king's rock with wise glasses, and replace mud-slap with earthquake. And place the king's rock on Greninja. I WILL take false swipe off of ninjask-so that it can learn X-scissor in its place. Quick claw will go to grumpig, and Charizard's rock slide will be replaced with solarbeam. Grumpig can learn Power Gem AND Payback, so maybe remove Zen headbutt for Payback?
I feel like Articuno covers his weakness to rock with Steel wing, but Roost would help . . . . . but where would I put it? Maybe . . . over Sheer Cold?
Maybe for greninja, replace shadow sneak with Hydro pump?
Also maybe move Ninjask so that he can work the purpose of a finisher

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Hyper beam is a terrible move in general when you already have Boomburst, which can do much more damage over 2 moves (280 STAB versus 150 STAB), and the recharge time allows your opponent to switch to something that can counter Exploud and eases prediction for the other side.

Wise Glasses raises Sp. Attack; why would you have that if you give Ninjask EQ, which is a physical move, along with X-Scissor? Giga Drain and Silver Wind are also special moves which need to be exchanged if you plan on making Ninjask a physical attacker, which I highly suggest given its low base 50 Sp. Attack

Speaking of physical versus special, Grumpig is anything BUT a physical attacker, with its low 45 base attack. Payback might be good coverage, but it doesn't work with Grumpig; Power Gem is a much better option if you want to consider it, as are Energy Ball, Shadow Ball, and other special moves.

There's a lot more to say, but yes, reading this thread as Ruko already posted will help A LOT. Different Pokemon have different strengths and weaknesses, and you should learn how to play to those instead of just slapping together what looks like good, powerful attacks onto a Pokemon.

FalChromiforme

Formerly Aurora Beam
So, okay, maybe not hyper beam-maybe water pulse? Also, Yes, maybe shadow ball, but then how do I cover for dark?
Maybe Articuno not the best choice. Maybe take him off. Maybe replace him with
Crobat (no item) -
Moves are
Cross poison
return
Bite
acrobatics

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Grumpig should really only have one psychic move, as having another is not really helpful and makes it lose a move for coverage. Psychic/Psyshock should be the one STAB move it gets, and Magic Coat, if you're planning on using it to block entry hazards and the like. That leaves open two spots, which can be filled with any number of special moves including but not limited to Energy Ball, Shadow Ball, Power Gem, and, if you're okay with having only a 70% accuracy, Focus Blast. Hidden Power can also be considered if you really want something else. Calm Mind is also an option, if you want to be bulkier and also get a nice Sp. Attack boost. Speaking of bulkiness, might want to consider a more defensive set for Grumpig including Heal Bell and/or Toxic/Thunder Wave. Just a suggestion.

Right now your team is not balanced based on your choice of Pokemon; you have a bunch of attackers, most of them special attackers, which will give you one hell of a time against special walls. Not to mention that sweepers are generally very frail and can't take more than 2 or 3 hits in general. Your team also has a noticeable rock weakness thanks to an abundance of flying types, and almost nothing to counter it except for maybe Greninja. I won't say you should start completely over, but perhaps it'll be a good idea to rethink your team members a little.

FalChromiforme

Formerly Aurora Beam
Sooo then . . . . Complete moveset redesign for Grumpig? something more like-

Energy ball
Power gem
Psychic
Magic coat

Better?

Last edited by a moderator:

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
OK seriously...

Ninjask @ Choice Band
Jolly/Adamant
Speed Boost
252 Attack/252 Speed/6 HP

- X-Scissor
- Aerial Ace
- Night Slash
- U-Turn

Because Baton Pass is shit.

Exploud @ Life Orb
Quiet
Scrappy
252 Sp.Atk/252 HP/6 Def

- Hyper Beam
- Sacred Fire
- Volt Tackle
- Tombstoner

I advise replacing this guy with something to cover your horrendous Electric weakness.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Timid
Whatever
252 Sp.Attack/252 Speed/6 HP

- Fire Blast/Overheat/Flamethrower
- Solarbeam
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse

...because having 'Zard on the team sort-of makes Exploud pointless anyway.

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Bold
Own Tempo/Thick Fat
252 HP/252 Def/6 Sp.Atk

- Psyshock
- HP Fire/Ground
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Pork is good.

Greninja @ Leftovers/Nothing
Jolly
Protean
252 Attack/252 Speed/6 HP

- Spikes
- Taunt
- U-Turn/Acrobatics
- Water Shuriken

I've pretty much given up at this stage as you can tell.

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Impish
Sturdy
248 Def/252 HP/8 Speed

- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Sleep Talk/Stealth Rock

He's better than Articuno

Since there will never be a better time or place:

WM30_Photo_375.jpg

That is all.

Question anything and die.

Last edited:

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
This topic died 2 months ago Luxray. Note that Clinic topics tend to die within less than a month, so check post dates before replying next time.

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.