• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

XY/ORAS Singles Rate my Team (OU)

This team has a pretty high success rate on Pokémon Showdown. I've gone through a few iterations before deciding on it, and have started IV breeding to construct the team in-game. However, I'd like some advice beforehand, because I'm very new to the metagame and may have missed some glaring errors with my team (aside from the obvious Water/Ground weakness).

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Swagger
- Foul Play
- Thunder Wave
- Substitute

This Klefki has been incredibly useful at completely stopping sweepers in their tracks, and my opponents generally find it difficult to take down. Aside from Magic Bounce Espeon, nothing really counters this thing. Swagger, Thunder Wave, get behind a Sub and Foul Play.

Malamar @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Night Slash
- Topsy-turvy
- Superpower
- Rock Slide

I like the idea of using a Malamar, but I'm still a little unsure as to how to employ it. Sometimes I try to use it to shut sweepers down with Topsy-Turvy (which doesn't seem to be a typical move on Malamar, as people don't expect it). Other times, I use it as a Physical sweeper, Rock Slide being particularly useful as opponents don't expect it. However, it's difficult for it to do both effectively. Perhaps a change in hold item would help?

Togekiss @ Assault Vest
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 64 SDef / 128 Spd
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower

My favourite Pokémon is Togekiss, and I always see people talking about winning with your favourites, even in the metagame, so here it is. It's a bulky attacker, the Assault Vest allowing it to survive and keep spamming attacks. It has pretty good coverage, and with Rapid Spin support it's difficult to stop. Flamethrower over Fire Blast because I sometimes can't afford to miss Steel types.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Special Wall. Between it and Trevenant, very little gets through. Simply RestTalk and go. I've found it great to switch in on moves, although its moveset can be limited at times.

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Protect

Rapid Spin support. Chose to make it defensive so that I can keep it alive as long as possible. Toxic and Protect are there to finish off anything that's nearly dead and annoy the opponent.

Trevenant @ Lum Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Will-O-Wisp
- Curse
- Substitute

This set has been working really well. Basically infinite Sleep + Lum Berry. However, the lack of Horn Leech is a bit limiting, as Water/Ground Pokémon like Gastrodon are difficult to deal with.

If I may offer a suggestion, for Togekiss, I'd suggest replacing Flamethrower with Psychic; You already have Steel and Ice, as well as Rock covered with Aura Sphere, and you can still take care of Bug-types and Grass-types with Air Slash, so it's a tad redundant. Psychic can cover Poison-types, leaving Electric-types as the only remaining threat, which Togekiss has no possible coverage against anyway. Also, the slightly increased chance of a Special Defense drop, due to Serene Grace, can come in pretty handy.
However, even though Fairy-types are weak to Poison, I don't know how much this has increased the usage of Poison-type attacks, so Flamethrower still might be a valid choice, due to (Mega) Scizor and Aegislash, so I guess it ultimately depends on your personal experience.

Also, for Malamar, I battled one guy who ran it with a Choice Scarf, and it turned out to be a pretty major threat, outspeeding most of my guys and increasing its attack and defense with every Superpower attack it used.

Last edited:
If I may offer a suggestion, for Togekiss, I'd suggest replacing Flamethrower with Psychic; You already have Steel and Ice, as well as Rock covered with Aura Sphere, and you can still take care of Bug-types and Grass-types with Air Slash, so it's a tad redundant. Psychic can cover Poison-types, leaving Electric-types as the only remaining threat, which Togekiss has no possible coverage against anyway. Also, the slightly increased chance of a Special Defense drop, due to Serene Grace, can come in pretty handy.
However, even though Fairy-types are weak to Poison, I don't know how much this has increased the usage of Poison-type attacks, so Flamethrower still might be a valid choice, due to (Mega) Scizor and Aegislash, so I guess it ultimately depends on your personal experience.
Yeah, Flamethrower is useful for threats like Scizor, Aegislash and Forretress. Additionally, it has 10 more BP than Aura Sphere. I might try out Psychic, but I'll probably end up sticking with what I've got.

Also, for Malamar, I battled one guy who ran it with a Choice Scarf, and it turned out to be a pretty major threat, outspeeding most of my guys and increasing its attack and defense with every Superpower attack it used.
I did consider giving Malamar a Choice Scarf, but the problem is I don't want to lock it into one move. I like to lead with it, and being locked into using Superpower when the opponent has a Ghost-type is not ideal. Also, if the opponent doesn't view me as a threat, they will start boosting their stats, allowing me to use Topsy Turvy on them. However, I haven't tried a Choice Scarf yet, so maybe it will work out better in practice. I'll do some tests.

Thanks for the advice :D

I've used Malamar (with the same held item & ability) in several battles, & every time it's been my ace in the hole, so I can assure you this should be a definite staple for your team. Your movepool for looks pretty good, though unless it has a Speed reducing nature, I'd consider making it forget Rock Slide and reteach it Hypnosis. That way, you can put your opponents to sleep at the start of the battle and then hammer them like there's no tomorrow. I also recommend maximizing its attack via Super training to give it that extra sweeping boost.

Also, I'd suggest having a Roseli Berry or a Tanga Berry as an alternative item so that you'd have a little added protection against Fairy types & Bug types