• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS RedRising's Competitive Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Ninetales@???
Calm (Flash Fire)
EVs: 252 Speed/100 Sp. Attk/ Rest in Sp. Def
-Will-o-Wisps
-Calm Mind
-Flamethrower
-Energy Ball

Ninetales has good speed and special defense and decent special attack. Flamethrower is there to give it a STAB Fire move, and Energy Ball to cover it's three weaknesses. Will-o-Wisps for an automatic burn and to lower the opponents attack, which will cover Ninetales low Defense to a degree. And Calm Mind to boost the already good Sp. Defense and give it a boost in Sp. Attack.

Weavile@???
Hasty (Pressure)
EVs: 252 Speed/252 Attk
-Ice Shard
-Night Slash
-Swords Dance
-Brick Break/Dig

Weavile is my lead. It can take out any Flying or Ghost types that people try and lead with. Ice Shard is there over Ice Punch because of its priority. Swords Dance to boost its Attack to do more damage. Night Slash for a STAB Dark move. Brick Break or Dig to give more coverage and cover some weaknesses.

Yanmega@???
Rash (Speed Boost)
EVs: 252 Sp. Attk/252 Speed
-Bug Buzz
-Air Slash
-Toxic
-Psychic

Yanmega is useful because it gets quicker every turn it survives. Plus, it can kill those pesky Psychic and Dark types decently. Toxic is there for obvious reasons. Air Slash for STAB. Psychic, I'm not entirely sure on just yet, though.

Dusknoir@???
Impish/Careful (Pressure)
EVs: 252 Def/252 Sp. Def
-Shadow Sneak
-Pain Split
-Will-o-Wisps
-???

Dusknoir is my Wall. Great defenses, but awful HP. Pain Split is there to make up for that, giving Dusknoir HP and lowering the oppositions. Will-o-Wisps to burn, once again. Shadow Sneak is there incase he gets Taunted. It's a Physical, priority STAB move, so it can be helpful. Not sure what to put as the last move.

Flygon@???
Naughty (Levitate)
EVs: 252 Attk/252 Speed
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast
-???

Good Attack and Speed, well rounded otherwise. STAB EQ and Outrage. Outrage over Dragon Claw because the boosted power is much needed. Fire Blast is there to take care of Skarmory and Steelix. Not sure about the last move for this one either.

Ludicolo@???
Modest (Rain Dish)
EVs: 252 Sp. Def/252 Sp. Attk
-Energy Ball
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Rain Dance

Ludicolo is there to provide a bit of coverage. Good typing with a good ability if I can get off Rain Dance. Double STAB with Energy Ball and Surf. Ice Beam is there to protect against Flying types, one of its few weaknesses.

Ideas for what items to put on them would be much appreciated. As would any constructive feedback, positive or negative.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
OK...

- Ninetales is pretty much standard - it works, so there's not really a whole lot to say about it. Note that your moveset is walled by enemy Fire-types though, especially Heatran who quad-resists the only move on your set that can damage him. A Pinch Berry, such as Salac or Petaya, can work for your item if you boost up with Calm Mind against something using Special attacks.

- Brick Break is far superior to Dig on Weavile for the most part since Dig gives your opponent a turn to prepare themselves for your attack (even though switching in a Flying-type would be more suicidal than helpful thanks to Ice Shard) and Brick Break comes with the handy ability to shatter Reflect/Light Screen, which will help since the shield moves are quite common in Gen IV movesets (and common with leads too, which your Weavile will be facing as your lead.) For leading, Taunt would be a great option over Swords Dance to heavily disrupt the opposing lead and ruin your opponent's game plan. Focus Sash is the best item by far for leading Weavile.

- Yanmega's Toxic is a bit questionable here since it doesn't help it beat the type it suffers most problems with: Steel. Detect would probably be the most helpful move to use here since it lets you get a free Speed Boost right off the bat, making Yanmega an immediate threat. Either Psychic or Shadow Ball is best for the last slot - neither really gives you any better coverage than the other since Bug covers Psychic already for Shadow Ball and Flying covers Fighting also for Psychic, but I'd give the nod to Shadow Ball myself here for the 20% Sp.Defense drop it provides. Personal preference really though. I'd consider Wise Glasses for Yanmega to squeeze a bit more damage out of his set - Life Orb is a bit unviable thanks to Yanmega being ravaged by the ever-prominent entry hazard Stealth Rock.

- Dusknoir needs 252 HP training - he doesn't have enough HP to reliably wall anything packing any real power otherwise, plus Will-O-Wisp essentially IS Dusknoir's Defense training built into his moveset for him. Brick Break's a decent option for the last slot since it provides perfect coverage with Shadow Sneak, and Protect can work here too to combine well with Pressure. Dusknoir loves his Leftovers, especially if Protect is available to him

- Flygon's pretty evil - Stone Edge can work in place of Fire Blast if you find Fire Blast to be rendering somewhat less effective than you'd like, which it may given the Base 80 on Flygon's Sp.Attack combined with no EVs on the stat either. Your fourth moveslot would depend on which of the following hold items takes your fancy more: Roost paired with Life Orb, or U-Turn paired with Choice Band/Choice Scarf. Either way works well, so take your pick.

- Ludicolo really wants to go Sp.Attack/Speed on the EVs with Swift Swim as the ability for a set like that. While stall Ludicolo is pretty good, sweeper Ludicolo is evil. Don't let Ninetales stand in the rain too much though. Sitrus Berry is probably best to heal Ludicolo upon setting up the rain.

Overall, very solid.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Thanks for the advice, KoL. I've updated and made corrections to my team accordingly.

I'm going to go with Roost-Life Orb on Flygon, as I'm not a big fan of getting locked it one move (outside of Outrage, that is.) I'm gonna try Protect on Dusknoir because it seems to be more helpful in Walling, in my opinion. Then I'm going with Shadow Ball over Psychic on my Yanmega.

Since all is decided on, I'm gonna go ahead and lock this.

Status
Not open for further replies.