• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Regional Differences in Fast Food Menus

I know this is kind of random, but I've read on Wikipedia that (for example) McDonald's has different menu items depending on the region, like McLobster in Maine and lamb burgers in India. Seeing how this site has members from all over the US and the rest of the world, I would like to hear your experiences with these different items and what they taste like.

The only 'exotic' thing I've ever had was the Shamrock Shake during March. It was minty and delicious. Other than that, all the fast food restaurants over the Midwest, East, and Southeast America have had the usual stuff, nothing interesting.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
They had taro pies at the McDonalds that I visited while in China. I didn't buy one, but anyone who's tasted taro can probably guess what they'd taste like.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Linkachu said:
They had taro pies at the McDonalds that I visited while in China. I didn't buy one, but anyone who's tasted taro can probably guess what they'd taste like.

So true, so true... I hate taro, so I didn't buy one. XD

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The hell is taro?

10282_042fa.gif

?

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
It's a type of... root, I think? o-o

Well, we used to grow taro at my place, and I think it was a root. Apparently it's some sort of food Asians like? It's kind of powdery when you bite into it, but hard, if that makes any sense. <<

The only special thing I can think of that isn't sold in McDonald's anywhere other than Scotland is Irn Bru. Probably because, you know, it's one of Scotland's 'national drinks' (the other being whisky :B) |D

Irn Bru is very nice. It looks like this and it tastes like lovely.

Our MacDonald's don't have any special national recipes added to their menu's. Why? Because most Dutch dishes taste like shit.

We do have a variety of things like special McFlurry tastes- Like our national cookie, the syrup waffle- and things like ''healthy'' chicken tortilla wraps.

The stuff in this thread sounds tasty, though |D

I think that the Swedish menu doesn't have anything special as well.

As DS said about the dutch McFlurry, we have some special ones too.

*Takes thread to Tacobell*
In Idaho, the land of Potatoes, you can order a Potato Taco from Taco Bell. It's pretty much sour cream + cheese + potato wedges in a tortilla.

But I haven't seen any other potato related items. Cuz most of the potatoes from Idaho go to the rest of the US's fries. Idahoans actually get potatoes from Oregon sometimes :X.

Oh, and in Texas, they have Whataburgers (entirely different chain w/e) and they have this red drink. I loved it so much when ever I went there, but I can't remember what it was. It wasn't Red Cream Soda or anything... Any Southeners help me out?

Rayn, I could be completely wrong, but you might be talking about a drink called Cheer Wine...I have a friend who's had it beofore and swears it's the most delicious thing on the planet - and you can only get it down south

I'm not entirely sure what we lack and what we significantly have in our McDonalds, so Imma just list all the things I know are on the menu here (thank you, delivery flyer)

Burger McDo- a plain patty and bun with a single helping of island dressing (mayo+ketchup)
Cheeseburger
Double Cheeseburger- like the cheeseburger, only with two patties~
Quarter Pounder
Big Mac
McSpaghetti
McChicken
Chicken McNuggets
McChicken Fillet Sandwich
McChicken Sandwich (the difference between this and the other thing is that it has lettuce and secret Bic Mac Sauce, making it twice as expensive)
Sundae McDip (Ice Cream cone dipped in chocolate and topped with rice crispies)
Hot Fudge/Caramel Sundae
McFlurry (Mcdonalds equivalent of DQ's Blizzard)

Besides all this, you can also order a ball of rice to go with your meal.

And that's it for the regular menu. The Breakfast menu is a tad more unique since there are two Philippine dishes in it

Longanniza Meal is a fancy term for a breakfast consisting of rice, eggs and two sweet sausages called Longanniza (also known as Chorizo)
Hamdesal is a local version of the Egg McMuffin. The Egg is instead scrambled and the English Muffin is replaced with a Pan De Sal bun.

That's pretty much the only difference we have here. That and the Happy Meal toys. We get stuff like Disney Movie tie-ins and all that; but we sometimes get Pokemon toys too, and more recently, Naruto toys.