• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Should Autism Be Cured?

I know this is a rather controversial topic, but I would think that would make people think about their responses more. If this topic is too controversial, this board should delete it.

A short definition of autism is a brain development disorder which is generally identified by poor social skills and communication, repetitive behaviors, and adherance to a strict schedule and ways of living.

There is also another disorder which is associated with the autism spectrum, Aspergers, but is now thought to be a different neurological disorder with a few, lesser versions of symptoms shared with it. Aspergers is similar to a less damaging form of autism, with many having less affected language and cognitive skills, though they may still have troubles. In addition, both autistics and Asperger Sydrome-afflicted (often self-called aspies) have issues with nonverbal communication and tone of voice, often having very literal conversations and/or having trouble with sarcastic speech.

Autism can also be affected by Sensory Integration Disorder, which is a disorder which warps the perception of the environment to have too much sensory imput, or too little. An example is that someone with this disorder cannot stand a sweater because it feels too scratchy for their skin, but feels acceptable to someone without.

The anti-cure perspective says that neurotypical (shortened to NT by many) society is so close-minded that they cannot stand to see a person who compensates to overwhelming stimulus by doing something like flapping. It is thought by this faction that society should become more tolerant and learn to accept these odd behaviors instead of forcing torturous 'therapies' on these people to make them more like the NTs. Because of this, many anti-cure members have formed their own 'autistic soceity' in which these people are tolerated. In addition, it is predicted that a cure, or even fetal prediction test, would cause many autistic fetuses to be aborted.

However, the pro-cure society says that without therapy, these people would not be able to form a society. Some autistics have only learned some language after therapy, and having a common language is one of the requirements for a society. The deaf culture is similar to this, because before the creation of sign language, the deaf found it hard to communicate. Some critics have said that if you replaced every use of the word 'autism' with 'Aspergers', the anti-cure perspective would be more acceptable because of the troubles many autistic people have without therapy. In addition, a cure would also help those who have not just autism, but other afflictions which overlap with it, causing delibilating disablities.

I myself am pro-cure, because this would help make life easier for many people with autism. This does not mean I would force it on those who did not want it, but free choice would be preferable.

[size=4pt]I myself am also afflicted with Aspergers and Sensory Integration disorder, and only after many years of therapy have I began to be less tortured because of my differences. A cure would help me tremendously. I also have trouble with some tone and non-verbal issues, often saying things wrong or taking them literally.[/size]

I would consider myself to pro-cure, but not to extent that I would force all people with each disorder (I do not like that word) to be 'cured'. Curing and treating such a thing should be a choice, of course, in some cases the particular individuals concerned may have to go through a certain amount of treatment before they can properly understand what is on offer.

I'm going to controversial myself here: It seems to me as though the anti-cure group have a large chip one their shoulder to the point in which they are fighting any possible help because of previous ill treatment to them and theirs. This is not to say that their fears are unfounded, but that they may be causing more harmt han good in the long run.

Also, on the subject of abortion in the cases of Autism and Asperger's, if the parents do not believe that they can cope with a child who has such conditions they should be allowed to choose between abortion and adoption, though if there is a way of refining the screening to see how severe the conditions will/could be, abortion should only be contemplated if the condition is so serevre as to have a serious impact on the quality of life of both the parents and their child (or children in the case of those with exisiting families). A Utilitarian approach may seem cruel, but one must consider the feelings of the immediate family as well as the prospective child when it comes to these circumstances (like when there is the highly likely probability of a crippling disease within the unborn child that could feasibly have great detrimental impact on them and their parent's). I am not that much of a negative Utilitarian, but I think that where we can, we must avoid suffering, needless or no. Ultimatly the choice on abortion must lie with the parents once they have been provided with the revelant information that is exhaustive and complete. Care is not something I would like to foist upon any child, well, not in the circumstances we currently find ourselves in where care can be damaging to the child in more ways than one.

So, for me everything is about informed choice.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I speak from experience here: not only has my brother got Asperger's, but so does one of my best friends - and I have Asperger's traits myself, to a very minor degree.

I believe that their personalties are defined by their supposed disorder. My brother is mad about meerkats - obsessed with them, even. Would I seek to change that? No, I wouldn't. My friend spends her time reading rather than socializing... But that is who she is. I believe treatment, of Asperger's at least, would only be detrimental to their well-being, and their personalities. And the thought of aborting a child because of the fact that they have an Autistic spectrum disorder sickens me somewhat.

Now, there is always the other side of the coin - people with really severe Autism may benefit from minor treatment to help them with more major issues, whatever they may be.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm a bit confused by what specifically these "pro-cure" therapies are, because to my understanding there is no "cure" for Autism or Asperger's syndrome. I'm assuming you're referring to teaching communication skills, organization skills, etc. but I can't be sure when someone uses the word "torturous". Would you be able to expand on this, Secad?

This whole debate is actually a bit speculative. If there was actually a cure created in a few years, the question would be of its use.

But to explain the 'torturous' therapies used, some rather extreme therapies are used, like cold-packing, which is basically wrapping up a child in cold/wet sheets in order to calm them. At least one child has died in this therapy. In addition, there is also a therapy in which lead and other metals are cleansed from the body in what is called 'chelation therapy.' In this therapy, it is theorized that poisonous metals have caused the symptoms of autism.

However, torturous could just be in perspective. I was put through several therapies, like being 'retaught' what emotions were. I was handed a bunch of flashcards and told to tell what rather obvious emotions were. I felt extremely degraded. I knew what the emotions were and how to identify them, I just had issues with the subtleties of them. Real people do not always show anger with obviously contorted faces. In addition, I was scrubbed with plastic nail brushes all over to help with Sensory Integration. I know all of therapies I have been put through have helped me, but why degrade a person in the process? You wouldn't degrade an PSTD soldier in their therapies, would you?

I myself have autism and don't really see any viable cure for it as it's a disorder that interlopes with feelings and emotions.

The only way to cure it would be to alter the environment the person(s) with autism live in to a more force-social environment. And that would only "cure" it to an extent. I don't really believe anyone could cure it otherwise.

You know, I wasn't going to reply to this thread, mostly because I thought I didn't have an answer.

But someone I know has autisum, and I know him very well. I think he may be in one of the worst situations I have ever seen. His parents, and older sisters are overprotective (not saying that they shouldn't be, giving his conditions) but to such an extent that it is embarresing to him, a thirteen year old. It takes him a long time to grasp simple things, I remember one time my mom explained to him the difference between "telling" and "tattling"

I've never been as nice as I could be to him. I try, I really do. And I guess I'm almost apologizing to the people here for what I've done, which is odd. It's not as if I've been blatently mean to him (unfortunatly, several of the other boys in the neighborhood do this quite often, something that never seems to stop, despite him improving, and me trying to tell them what asses they're being.) They see him as an easy target, and they abuse that.

I probably have too, convincing him of certain things, and the like, and I really do feel horrible about it. I try to teach him about things, some of which he understands, while other things he just can't grasp. It's a bit disheartning.

And then, last summer, he told me one of the most horrible things I think I could have ever heard. His parents had finally explained to him about his having autism (I think he was the last one to figure this out, which is, a bit upsetting considering the younger brothers of one of my other neighbors). And I think what he explained to me was that his parents had told him that if he doesn't work hard, and improve his brain (wtf?) he would die, within a year. I didn't want to say anything, partially because I had the slight thought it could be true, and because I didn't want to go agaisnt his parents.

But, he really is a wonderful person. Yes, he has some of the quirks, obsessing over certain things (in his case, it's wolves, Star Wars, and Yu-Gi-Oh cards) spacing out at times, and sometimes he has anger spells, and ingores us. He has recently discovered cussing, and though he denies any reason behind it, I think it's because he think's he'll fit in better. His favorite phrase seems to have become "Oh, shit."

But the thing is, if I was somehow given control over his life, I wouldn't change a thing about it. His autism makes him who he is. He's been a friend since around the time I moved here, and I hope he'll continue to be. I have eventually developed a care for him, and a desire for his well being.

The most upsetting thing about it is his dedication to the military. He has his heart set on joining, and I'm not sure, but I don't think he'll be accepted.

I don't think this was all too relevant to the debate, though I suppose my answer is this,

Being autistic makes a person who they are. And that should never be changed.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Being autistic makes a person who they are. And that should never be changed.
My views exactly - autism (and Asperger's, as an extension) is merely a name for a malfunctioning part of the mind - an inseparable part of the personality, so any kind of cure would be effectively changing the person themselves, which is universally accepted as a Very Bad Thing. So, why would you want to change autistic people?

YES! And Hopefully Obama can help find a cure, too! Join the fight against autism, if you may!!!

Did you even read the above posts?

[quote author=Database link=topic=5372.msg87316#msg87316 date=1232558704]
My views exactly - autism (and Asperger's, as an extension) is merely a name for a malfunctioning part of the mind - an inseparable part of the personality, so any kind of cure would be effectively changing the person themselves, which is universally accepted as a Very Bad Thing. So, why would you want to change autistic people?
[/quote]

Listen to yourself. You're claiming that a malfunctioning part of the mind-- a part that is "damaged and not working" (as described by "malfunctioning"), is something that should not be "cured", as it is a part of the personality of the person in question with autism.

You're not correct when you say it defines their personality, but that is because they have autism in the first place! If it was cured, their personality would warp and reflect that of their true demeanor instead of one that is being restricted by autism.

Autism is only hurting their personality, like a mask that can't be seen. Their "true" personality isn't reflected by their autism, but with their hearts. The mask is just a "crutch" that suppresses their "true" personality. When the autism is removed, the mask is removed-- thus the suppression of their personality is no longer existent and their "personality" is reflected by themselves once again.

Just because one is pro-cure does not mean one would force it on those who did not want it. I would want a cure for myself, depending on the methods. If it was something extreme like open-brain surgery, I would refuse because of the potential complications. However, if a cure is found, it would be beneficial to those who have severe disablities.

I must comment on something, Cody. I can't believe the parents of your friend told him that if he didn't get help, he would die within a year. That's horrible, and it's usually not a great idea to wait that long to tell the kid of their issue if known about beforehand.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
You're not correct when you say it defines their personality, but that is because they have autism in the first place! If it was cured, their personality would warp and reflect that of their true demeanor instead of one that is being restricted by autism.

Autism is only hurting their personality, like a mask that can't be seen. Their "true" personality isn't reflected by their autism, but with their hearts. The mask is just a "crutch" that suppresses their "true" personality. When the autism is removed, the mask is removed-- thus the suppression of their personality is no longer existent and their "personality" is reflected by themselves once again.
Well, perhaps you are correct there; I have only ever seen Asperger's syndrome in the people I know - as an average high school student, I am rarely in contact with people who have serious mental disabilities. My opinions and views are based on my own experience - for example, my friend is an amazing person and incredibly sweet and intelligent... she just panics when people touch her or if she ends up in a situation she isn't comfortable in.

Of course, this is all moot, really. I wrote my last post on an iPod, late at night, which is probably unwise - I did not have the ability or coherence to construct a sensible and balanced post, and for that, I apologise.

Well, Secad, that may or may not have been what they said. Seeing as it was him who was explaining it to me, he could have easily been confused.

Methinks it has something more to do with them saying something about brain cells. I doubt they actually said "you will die if you don't get better"