• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Should there be a new type?

Should there be a new type?

• Yes

Votes: 23 67.6%
  • No

Votes: 11 32.4%

• Total voters
I'm pretty sure this topic's been done before, but as far as I can see, not recently.
Anyway, should there be a new type introduced? It would certainly spice things up a bit, but would it be too much change?
Personally, I'm divided. It would certainly provide a healthy new challenge, but it would be a bit weird. I think yes just edges it for me.
Leave your opinions below.

I wouldn't mind a Light type of some kind. It would be nice to balance out the Dark type with, visually speaking at least. I've also been more and more interested in Normal type Pokemon who don't evolve getting a Normal type evolution that's a little something more. So maybe Pokemon like Spinda could evolve into a Light type. I don't know what would happen to other 2nd and 3rd evolution Normals, but hey, it's just a vague idea. I guess I just feel like Normal type isn't all it could be.

Crystal type, see Stel's stuff :)

I concur, as it's an interesting type, which is as fantastical as most types are, but still being 'logical' in some way in the Poke'verse. That and they are, by default, shiny :3 Also prismatic, but they are Stel's type, so I should stop theorizing on them without permission.

I whole heartedly agree with adding Stel's crystal type to the game. It is fairly well rounded and would add yet another deep element to the game.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
You all realize that if someone snatched Stel's type and inserted it into the official games he'd probably kill someone (if not the entire development team), eh? :p

You all realize that if someone snatched Stel's type and inserted it into the official games he'd probably kill someone (if not the entire development team), eh? :p

Then ask for royalties, still covered in blood.

I imagine Stel would be pretty pissed, especially if he wasn't given consultations rights (is that right) on how the typing should work and such. Would make for an interesting game though, Stel ripping through Nintendo's headquarters with armblades...

I have been here for around a year now, and this is the best proof of Katie's Canadianism that I have ever seen.

Either way, that is a pretty valid point. As awesome as his type is, it might be kind of hard to make it work as he intended. Maybe it's best not to add another type.

Gonna have to agree with Cody. I really would rather not see another type added. We don't need a Light Type because Psychic is the unofficial counterpart to Dark. I would like to see strengths and weaknesses get tweaked though. I'd like a return to the 1st gen and have Poison strong against Bug again. People may argue this, but it works in my opinion.

For the most part, the strengths and weaknesses are ruled by what is balanced and what makes sense. I.e. they had to add Dark and Steel during the 2nd gen because Psychic as a type was a little broken. In another case, it may not seem fair that grass has so many weaknesses but they all make sense from a logical standpoint. They would really have to do a good job if they wanted to add in another type, but I think we're good for now.

I'd like to see some techy like a move that turns your pokemons arm into a lance something based of real world items perhaps a shield that acts like protect
Something abit like deoxy which is where i got the idea from.
Perhaps a Nano Or Virus Type?

Idk i'm divided. I think it's fine, but also a type that normal is good against. Overall, based on type advantages, Normal is the worst type because it is not super effective against anything.

EDIT: I also think that the Virus type would be extremely similar to the Poison type, but not a bad idea, nonetheless.

I love Stel's Crystal idea, but that's an obvious choice.

I am liking Silent's idea of a Virus type.. However, it makes me think of Digimon all of a sudden, and the way I am imagining this type to be just makes it even more Digimon-ish.

I'm always kinda torn between answers on this particular topic, having thought about it a bit myelf. On one hand, they made new types for Generation 2, and if anything, it almost fully balanced the game. But on the other hand we don't want a type that completly throws off the balance that we have. Not to mention there are quite a few type combos we have yet to see, like flying/fighting, dragon/ fire and dragon/ice, to name a few. Were we to have a new type, I would imagine it to be something like Stel's Crystal Type, although I'm not particularly fond of the fact that it's yet another thing that will wall the poor Poison Types it seems balanced enough and not particularly overpowered..

Overall, I can't decide and I wish you had added a button for "Not Sure".

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
At this point, I'd have to say no. If they were going to do it, it should have been either Gen III or Gen IV, but now I've gotten so used to the way the typing in the game is now that I'd rather not see a new type introduced. That said, there's a few things I wouldn't mind seeing changed with the current types, most notably bringing back Poison's super-effectiveness against Bug-types which was removed for no reason whatsoever. I say stick with what we've got.

I have made my mind up on no new type. The game is too balanced and it pretty much covers everything. They should just make Bug more powerful also. Bug Pokemon, with a few exceptions, are the weakest. Pinsir, Scyther, Heracross, and Scizor are the only ones I can think of that aren't weak. That's not that big of an amount. They shouldn't change types, but they sure could add some beefed up Bugs. And some more power in their moves.

The game is pretty balanced so nothing should be changed.
Also, I agree with Gerudo Ganon. Poison should still be super effective against Bug-type Pokemon. It seems I missed a lot more than I though during my 4 year absence from the Pokemon world...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I have made my mind up on no new type. The game is too balanced and it pretty much covers everything. They should just make Bug more powerful also. Bug Pokemon, with a few exceptions, are the weakest. Pinsir, Scyther, Heracross, and Scizor are the only ones I can think of that aren't weak. That's not that big of an amount. They shouldn't change types, but they sure could add some beefed up Bugs. And some more power in their moves.

Yanma and Yanmega? Shedinja and Ninjask? Vespiquen and Armaldo? Those are also very good Bug-type Pokemon when used right. Naturally they're going to keep adding more and more Bug-types each generation, too, but as of now you need to give 'em more credit. Every type has its pros and cons, and while a majority of buggies are early game catches - there are definitely a number of gems in the mix, too.

Honestly, I must agree with others. Even though it'd be interesting to see and work with, we truly don't need a new type. Everything balances so nicely now... There's just no real mechanics-related advantage to inserting something brand new beyond new dual-type combinations. As for the "making Poison SE on Bug-types again", though... I'm actually pretty content with things staying as they are there, too. Maybe Poison types really can't do much SE, but Bug-types honestly have enough weaknesses already (and maybe that's why they changed things in the first place). Adding one more back again might cause unnecessary unbalances that I'd rather not see. Don't fix it if it ain't broken, I say.

Actually, bug types only have three weaknesses while Grass and Rock have five weaknesses and Ice types, four. Good thing they have a better offensive outlook.

Maybe things are balanced out now, but I just felt that Poison deserved at least one more SE hit. It only hits Grass types for an SE hit but even that's extremely limited a lot of Grass are half something that cancels out the weakness. But meh, I see what Katie means because a lot of bug types either have their stats or dual typing letting them down. But the Bug type itself doesn't seem any weaker or stronger than the other types and I can't see adding back the weakness to Poison (an already uncommon attack move) affecting that. Of course I'm speaking entirely on a defensive standpoint here.

Hmm as far as balanced is concerned i dont think its a necessity. The main use of a new typing at this point is for concepting for future generations/fanmon regions. Things like Light type are great for concepting since it doesnt require the pokemon to be electricity based.

[quote author=Blisk link=topic=6834.msg124275#msg124275 date=1258882849]

Yanma and Yanmega? Shedinja and Ninjask? Vespiquen and Armaldo? Those are also very good Bug-type Pokemon when used right. Naturally they're going to keep adding more and more Bug-types each generation, too, but as of now you need to give 'em more credit. Every type has its pros and cons, and while a majority of buggies are early game catches - there are definitely a number of gems in the mix, too.
[/quote]
My humblest apologies. I underestimated the type. I also honestly forgot Armaldo. He's awesome, but I just spaced it out, I guess. I don't know why, but I just think the type in general is weak. Maybe it's because most teams have its weaknesses and that there are pretty few that have decent stats. Today I was bored and looked up a bug (think it was Mothim) and then I compared it to Butterfree because there was a similarity in the trivia part and Butterfree has way worse stats than Mothim, and I was so suprised at how strong it was. I like bugs, just they seem weak to me and somehow never end up on my team.

I will try training a bug sides the ones I mentioned and Armaldo just for the heck of it. I need someone to beat Lucian anyway. But it's going to be hard because I'm already evenly training 6 Pokemon. Thanks for changing my mind.

Poison shouldn't change because even if it only is super effective against one type and rarely against that type, Poison is good defensively because it repels Fighting types, but also it is devastating because of the poison status. Poison can destroy a Pokemon in a few turns with a good attack with it. Especially Toxic and Poison Fang where the Pokemon is badly poisoned.

Hmm as far as balanced is concerned i dont think its a necessity. The main use of a new typing at this point is for concepting for future generations/fanmon regions. Things like Light type are great for concepting since it doesnt require the pokemon to be electricity based.

Yes, light type should be a type.
I mean look at Cressilia don't you think it should be Light/Psychic ?

I'm not a fan of the concept of a new type. Light comes closest to being practical, but I think we have a pretty good balance struck now. Making transitions from Red and Blue to modern games is pretty disorienting, and I don't think it's really necessary to throw anything new in there.

I dont think they should add a new Type. They should rather do something with the more useless types like Poison and Rock. People might say that rock isnt that bad, but steels types offer way more resistances and arent half bad offensively.
And Poison is offering the most awesome Pokemon and is the worst Type there is right now. Toxic is a cool move but everyone can do that ~
Grass Pokemon work good in lower Tiers of battling, but in the upper ones they arent that useful either.
Fire is one of the most awesome attack types, but theres no good fire pokemon options. you have Infernape or Heatran. The others get hurt by stealth rock too much.

Dragon Types and Steels should somehow get more balanced.
Another Type would just make certain types too strong or others too weak. They should get the actual ones right.

Grass Pokemon work good in lower Tiers of battling, but in the upper ones they arent that useful either.
Fire is one of the most awesome attack types, but theres no good fire pokemon options. you have Infernape or Heatran. The others get hurt by stealth rock too much.

Grass is useful in higher tiers. Heard of Roserade? Sceptile? Venusaur? Torterra? Vileplume? Victreebel? These are all decent Pokemon if used right.

Fire also has a ton of great ones. Magmortar, Blaziken, Houndoom, Flareon,etc. And don't forget the elegant Arcanine. Fire-types are one of the most used types. Saying that they get hurt by stealth rock too much is like saying that Dark is getting hurt by Brick Break too much. It's just a weakness. All Pokemon have them. There are ways to counter weaknesses too.

Dragons and Steels are also fine. Steel can get annihilated with one hit from Earthquake, the most common Ground type move. Dragon also has its weaknesses. Most Dragon types are part flying, making ice more of a threat and rock to be super effective. This also causes Electricity to work normally against them. Dragons are meant to be this powerful because that's the whole point of them. They are hard to train, but they are rewarding. Most Dragons evolve into their final form in the 40s and 50s. Also it helps the Dragons that 3 of em are Pseudo Legendaries.

Point is that most of the current types work. There are a few Pokemon that might need some help, but overall, it's pretty balanced. We don't need to change the current types either.

[quote author=BigOskarStyle link=topic=6834.msg126113#msg126113 date=1260305694]

Grass is useful in higher tiers. Heard of Roserade? Sceptile? Venusaur? Torterra? Vileplume? Victreebel? These are all decent Pokemon if used right.

Fire also has a ton of great ones. Magmortar, Blaziken, Houndoom, Flareon,etc. And don't forget the elegant Arcanine. Fire-types are one of the most used types. Saying that they get hurt by stealth rock too much is like saying that Dark is getting hurt by Brick Break too much. It's just a weakness. All Pokemon have them. There are ways to counter weaknesses too.

Dragons and Steels are also fine. Steel can get annihilated with one hit from Earthquake, the most common Ground type move. Dragon also has its weaknesses. Most Dragon types are part flying, making ice more of a threat and rock to be super effective. This also causes Electricity to work normally against them. Dragons are meant to be this powerful because that's the whole point of them. They are hard to train, but they are rewarding. Most Dragons evolve into their final form in the 40s and 50s. Also it helps the Dragons that 3 of em are Pseudo Legendaries.

Point is that most of the current types work. There are a few Pokemon that might need some help, but overall, it's pretty balanced. We don't need to change the current types either.
[/quote]
The only that is really good usable in higher tiers is Roserade, based on its speed stat.

and you have to outweight pokemon that everyone uses against some that arent used at all. who uses arcanine when he has access to Heatran. Magmortar , Houndoom and Flareon arent that great either ;/

and with Dragons.. have you ever played against a latias? or any other Draco Meteor user? Those things are Dangerous, and you have to build whole teams around those Threats. Same thing for Scizor,Heatran and Lucario. Sure you can Earthquake most Steels, but most Steels like to OHKO Anyways, and you can always play fun switching games.
The thing is, sure they have weaknesses, they all have, but certain type combinations, resistances ,attacks and stats that are given to Dragons and Steel types are Unfair, and that is the thing~

and justifying it by saying "well duh they should be strong" is not a valid point in a competetive game. they did the right thing by making dragon moves being resisted by steels, but Draco Meteor even hurts Steels a lot ;/

Bug was weak too and they added Scizor , Yanmega and Heracross, so it is possible to change types to the better without breaking the game!

[quote author=Blisk link=topic=6834.msg126115#msg126115 date=1260306703]
[quote author=BigOskarStyle link=topic=6834.msg126113#msg126113 date=1260305694]

[/quote]
The only that is really good usable in higher tiers is Roserade, based on its speed stat.

and you have to outweight pokemon that everyone uses against some that arent used at all. who uses arcanine when he has access to Heatran. Magmortar , Houndoom and Flareon arent that great either ;/

and with Dragons.. have you ever played against a latias? or any other Draco Meteor user? Those things are Dangerous, and you have to build whole teams around those Threats. Same thing for Scizor,Heatran and Lucario. Sure you can Earthquake most Steels, but most Steels like to OHKO Anyways, and you can always play fun switching games.
The thing is, sure they have weaknesses, they all have, but certain type combinations, resistances ,attacks and stats that are given to Dragons and Steel types are Unfair, and that is the thing~

and justifying it by saying "well duh they should be strong" is not a valid point in a competetive game. they did the right thing by making dragon moves being resisted by steels, but Draco Meteor even hurts Steels a lot ;/

Bug was weak too and they added Scizor , Yanmega and Heracross, so it is possible to change types to the better without breaking the game!
[/quote]

Bug has never been that weak. First gen, kinda but cuz it was first gen. Look at previous posts regarding me and see what Bugs are made of.

And to your legendaries, only noobs use a lot of legendaries. The legendaries are showing the other people that they aren't good enough to train other Pokemon.

Also have you faced a Torterra? Their defense is amazing. A lot of grass types rock.

Also Fire-types in general aren't meant to take a lot of hits. They are made to hit hard and fast. Magmortar is a beast among Pokemon. Magmar was already a great Pokemon, but then they evolved it into a beast. And to answer who uses Arcanine, most people would prefer to use the Legendary Pokemon to any real legendary. Heatran is a legendary. As said before most people don't use them that much unless they're noobs.

Also Steels are slow, so just Flamethrower or Earthquake their ass before they have a chance to hit you. Also, the steel shouldn't be able to hit you that hard unless your an ice or rock type. But that's just your fault, not the type's.

And I did not simply state that they were strong just because. I said it's because they were created to be hard to capture and train to that strong state. Til Gible in Gen IV, the pseudos were always catchable near the end of the game.

And the strong Dragons you're referring to are either Pseudos or legendary. The terms Pseudo and legendary mean that they are super strong versus normal Pokemon. You don't have to build whole teams around them. Like you said, just have a Steel type. ;)
The dragons that aren't overpowered are not Pseudos. Yes, Flygon is strong, but it is nowhere near Salamence.

well when i battle in tournaments or in a competetive environment I tend to use the Pokemon that are allowed. And most Competitions allow certain Legendarys but ban some non Legendarys, like Garchomp.
So Im not going to choose weaker Pokemon just because it makes me a worse trainer then?

And for Steels, have you taken a look at Scizor or Lucario? Both non Legendary and both extremely fast/dangerous. Let a Lucario use Swords Dance and you will see. And Scizor hurts a lot too, unless you tend to bring heavyweights. I only use Gyarados to Block Scizor and Lucario, but still~
Aggron is Strong as hell too, but too slow to be useful.

The thing is that certain types are stronger than others and thats not fair.
Poison be my main argument! I havent seen someone use gunk shot or any other Poison Stab for Ages, why should he anyways? Wheezings are using Flamethrower as their main attack, which is a shame ;/

well when i battle in tournaments or in a competetive environment I tend to use the Pokemon that are allowed. And most Competitions allow certain Legendarys but ban some non Legendarys, like Garchomp.
So Im not going to choose weaker Pokemon just because it makes me a worse trainer then?

And for Steels, have you taken a look at Scizor or Lucario? Both non Legendary and both extremely fast/dangerous. Let a Lucario use Swords Dance and you will see. And Scizor hurts a lot too, unless you tend to bring heavyweights. I only use Gyarados to Block Scizor and Lucario, but still~
Aggron is Strong as hell too, but too slow to be useful.

The thing is that certain types are stronger than others and thats not fair.
Poison be my main argument! I havent seen someone use gunk shot or any other Poison Stab for Ages, why should he anyways? Wheezings are using Flamethrower as their main attack, which is a shame ;/
Poison is mainly defensive. The EVs you get from Tentacool and Tentacruel are Sp. Def.

I wasn't saying choose weaker. Tons and tons of Pokemon that aren't pseudo and legendary rock. Heard of Electivire? How bout Toxicroak? Nidoking? Camerupt? etc.

I want to stop this argument. Instead of bashing certain types, why not just think of ways you can counter it. Each type has its weakness.

no Poison isnt Defensive either.
People make Tentacruel Defensive, cause the main stats are high ,not because of the typing. Defensive gives you no actual resistances that are useful. Sure fighting resistance may be a thing, but that doesnt qualify as a defensive type.

Toxicroak and Nidoking defensive either.

You still havent given any good arguments ;/
And calling me a Noob just because I use certain Pokemon certainly offends me.
I dont want to argue anymore because I dont see any sense in this.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
OK, since you two don't seem capable of behaving here, lets cut to the chase:

Missing out Breloom here is comedy gold given that it's OU and stuff.

And to your legendaries, only noobs use a lot of legendaries. The legendaries are showing the other people that they aren't good enough to train other Pokemon.

Flamebait not tolerated. If people want to use legendaries, they are free to do so. Heatran isn't Uber, nor is Shaymin, and Entei's not even good. Don't try to make your opinions seem like facts - this has earned you a warning, Blisk.

Also Steels are slow, so just Flamethrower or Earthquake their ass before they have a chance to hit you.

Scizor and Metagross have two words for you: Bullet Punch. Lucario getting ExtremeSpeed and Jirachi naturally being quick prove your statement wrong.

Steel can get annihilated with one hit from Earthquake, the most common Ground type move.

Steelix and Registeel would disagree with you there - I can't imagine many Earthquakes annihilating them two in one hit.

Poison isnt Defensive either.

I beg to differ actually. Toxic immunity is a huge bonus to any defender, and Poison-type grants you that. Two weaknesses, one of which (Psychic) is quite uncommon on anything that doesn't get STAB from it is a good bonus as well. Bug resistance is a bit handy too, and Fighting-type resistance is a big help for any Poison-type wishing to play a defensive role. Poison is definitely a more defense-oriented type overall, if only because it's absolutely god-awful offensively. Thank god most Poison-types have very nice move diversity in their favour.

I dont see any sense in this.

Nor do I. Argument ends now unless you both wish to face more severe punishment.

Flamebait not tolerated. If people want to use legendaries, they are free to do so. Heatran isn't Uber, nor is Shaymin, and Entei's not even good. Don't try to make your opinions seem like facts - this has earned you a warning, Blisk.
Nor do I. Argument ends now unless you both wish to face more severe punishment.
I understand. I meant that only using them and not considering other Pokemon was noobish. I understand how this was flaming and I am sorry to you both, BigOskarStyle and KoL. I will accept this punishment.

Mh I understand that I may have been argumenting in a too sharp tone~
But some of my points still stand and those are not pointed against the users, but more against the developers team.

But still let the topic move on.Blisk apologized directly to me so all is good.