• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

So Someone Linked Me To This

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Twenty Questions Wont Tell You If Your Son Is Gay.

I read the list of questions and, quite honestly, I'm appalled.

Let's start with the premise of this app. Something to tell you if your child is gay. Who is it marketed at? Parents who would die of shame if their son came out as gay? People who are clueless? Parents who honestly have no idea about homosexuality? Quite frankly, if this is aimed at the parents who are genuinely worried that their children might be gay, those people shouldn't have kids, let alone this app. It's more religious nonsense going viral again. Not to mention, if your child is gay, then let him come out on his own terms, don't look to a ludicrous app that wont tell you squat. It's not his decision, he didn't just one day choose to be gay, so he doesn't need to be punished for it.

Then let's consider the questions themselves.

Before he was born, did you wish for a girl?
Has he ever been in a fight?
Does he read the sports page in the newspaper?
Is his best friend a girl?
Does he like team sports?
Is he modest?
Is he a fan of divas (Madonna, Britney Spears)?
Does he spend a long time in the bathroom?
Does he piercings in his tongue, nose or ears?
Do you wonder about your son's sexual orientation?
Are you divorced?
Does he like musical comedies?
Has he ever introduced you to a girlfriend?
Is his father a very authoritarian person?
Within your family, is the father absent at all?
During his childhood, was he timid or discreet?
Does he have a complicated relationship with his father?
Does he take a long time to do his hair?
Does he like to dress well: is he very careful when choosing his outfits and selecting brands?
Does he like football?

As I'm sure you can tell, this is a very, very stereotypical view on homosexual men. Being a gay man myself, I can tell you that so many of these questions either don't apply to me, or they apply to both myself and many of my straight male friends. My boyfriend is a fan of football, reads the sports pages, has a great relationship with his father and was never timid as a child. He also spends forever doing his hair, chooses his outfits very carefully, likes some musicals and listens to some 'divas'. What would that make him? Half-gay? Bisexual? Straight? Sorry, but he's gay as they come, he just isn't a flamboyant, camp man.

The idea of being a gay man means you have to conform to these stereotypes is absolutely ridiculous. It's more ignorance spread to feed the fires of homophobia, and no real understand of what it is to be a gay man. People, especially young teenagers and even some adults, have a hard time coming to terms with their sexuality as it is without offensive apps like this making their lives more difficult. If a child is gay, he's gay, it has no bearing on his preferences (aside from who he likes to bed). This kind of app enforces these ideas and pollute the minds of who might otherwise be understanding people.

Wooo, go El!!

I support gay people (While I am not gay myself), and I am disgusted that any parent would even THINK of buying that app! If your child is gay, then you should support it, not resent it.

This just further proves the idea that most people are really really stupid, in my eyes.

I'm still somewhat hopeful that the world comes around eventually... but yeah, a lot of the answer's I'd give to these questions I'd think are the ones that would imply I'm stereotypically homosexual - When I'm as straight as they come :<

Now that's just sickening.

First of all, the app assumes homosexuality is bad thing. Honestly, maybe it's just me- But I don't see the problem in being gay. So what if a really old book your parents told you was the only truth doesn't say Adam and Steve? What's wrong with love?

I think people need to start accepting their little world can't be perfect and start behaving like rational beings. It sounds so easy, doesn't it |D

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Dark Soul said:
Now that's just sickening.

First of all, the app assumes homosexuality is bad thing. Honestly, maybe it's just me- But I don't see the problem in being gay. So what if a really old book your parents told you was the only truth doesn't say Adam and Steve? What's wrong with love?

I think people need to start accepting their little world can't be perfect and start behaving like rational beings. It sounds so easy, doesn't it |D

Thing is, it is easy for people who aren't really stupid.

I like to think the younger ones of us are growing up seeing it's alright to be gay and when/if we become parents that's something that'll get passed down and hopefully it all becomes a lot easier. Although the young annoying bullies of us won't so there will always be hate somewhere in it all sadly.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Unfortunately, haters gonna hate, idiots gonna be stupid, and there isn't anything we can do about it. Sadly, the open nature of Android means there isn't /any/ screening, except retroactive flagging by users which alerts apps to Google's notice. I would imagine it's not going to stay there for too long: Google is well known for their equality policies. It's just a case of the corporate machine rolling into action. Still, this app shouldn't have existed in the first place, and it's a sad sign of the state of the world that it does.

Incidentally, the app has "100-500" installs: by Android standards, not many at all. Most of those are probably curious people. So as hateful as the concept is, it doesn't seem to be catching on.

(brb stabbin' bigots)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm still stuck on how much it stereotypes the male gender in general. No wonder so many guys - straight, bi, gay, etc. - feel worthless when ideals like these are being shoved down their throats. =/

But yeah, the app itself and the sheer stupidity of those questions has me facepalming. The garbage people put out never ceases to astound me.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Keep in mind that we're in an era where the word "gay" can apparently be used interchangeably with words like "stupid" or "crap." The fact that stuff like this is still being shat out now shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, despite how utterly stupid (and not gay) it is.

While I am a very much straight male who enjoys vaginas, I have no problem with homosexuals.
Also, of all the gay people I have ever met, none of them are the stereotypical effeminate gay guy. In fact, most of them are built like monster trucks,

I'm straight, with a cute looking girlfriend to boot, but I have no problems with gays. My hyper-active, yet hilarious friend is gay. Unfortunatly, my mother is very religious and believes being gay is wrong. :( I try reasoning with her, but she is stubborn in those beliefs, although the Christian religion tries to welcome gays into the church which is good.