• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Star Wars The Old Republic

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
home_logo.png

So, I don't really think it takes a lot of liberties to say that this game is one of the best MMOs ever made - if not the best. The inclusion of a proper storyline as an integral part of the game - told through Bioware's own inimitable style - does more for improving the quality of the genre than it's really possible to describe without seeing it in action yourself.

The weak points of the genre still muddle through, of course - specifically in terms of skill trees and combat - but at the very least SWTOR is no better or worse than a certain other MMO in that regard. In fact, if anything, it's improved upon by use of the cover system for specific classes and the fact the other classes get to hit things with lightsabers - which just makes everything better.

Bioware have been running a lot of free weekends lately - so many, in fact, I'd actually thought they were doing them every weekend there were that many in succession - so there are plenty of good opportunities to jump in for a quick play around.

I also have 25 7-day trials I can give out, and hopefully get people to play along with. If you'd like one, let me know - but I'm only going to give them out to people I'd actually want to play with, not just some randomer.

Other than that, the game is becoming more and more affordable, with Amazon offering it for a little over £20, which considering you get a free month of game time included, is pretty good value.

We can use this thread as a discussion of the game and a way to co-ordinate playing together. This first post will contain a list of servers and characters on those servers so people can easily track eachother down, but don't feel obliged to share all your info here if you don't want to.

The Arkanian Legacy (Europe)
  • Doctor Oak's Characters:
    • Gredalax (Jedi Knight)
    • Distrak (Sith Assassin)
    • Oranda (Sniper)
  • Prof. Cinders' Characters:
    • Artonya (Sith Marauder)
    • Xer'thudi (Sniper)
    • Jikari (Gunslinger)

Empress Teta (US)
  • Dwayna's Characters:
    • Dwayna (Sith Juggernaut)

Kaiburr Crystal (US)
  • Dwayna's Characters:
    • Tierezi (Mercenary)

Krath (US)
  • Chadwyck's Characters:
    • Ethesium (Jedi Sentinel)

Sith Meditation Sphere (US)
  • Shocari's Characters:
    • Balberith (Sith Juggernaut)
    • Reyson (Gunslinger)
  • Pheonix's Characters:
    • Chochanga (Mercenary)
    • Taymama (Sith Sorcerer)
    • Pipsqueak (Operative)
    • Aviendha (Sith Juggernaut)
    • Firebird (Jedi Sage)

I play Sith Meditation Sphere(US).
Characters:
-Balberith(Sith Juggernaut)
-Reyson(Gunslinger)

I have a bunch of 7-day trials to give away, as well, but I'm only going to give them to people that show a genuine interest in wanting to play the game.

I will play Any Server but I only have a character on the Krath server.
Character:
Ethesium (Jedi Sentinel)

I used to play this game every day, but funds got a little tight, so I had to cancel my subscription. I'm more than happy to jump on a new server with a new character to play through with one of you guys once I get some money for a time card.

Dwayna DragonFire

2014 Little Cup Champion
I will also play on any server on any side, as long as we have a subscription.

These are the characters I have so far, though:
Kaiburr Crystal (US)
Tierezi (Mercenary)

Empress Teta (US)
Dwayna (Sith Juggernaut)

I play every so often, when Jason isn't playing his characters. I may join one of your servers soon :3

So, I don't really think it takes a lot of liberties to say that this game is one of the best MMOs ever made - if not the best.
I really think it does take a lot of liberties to claim that. Even calling the game a MMO is pushing it.

Voice acting is nice though.

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
I've gotten slightly addicted to this recently, so yeah. I'm still on my free month (barely), but man, this is so much better than WoW. At least, for me it is; the graphics are miles better, and the way lore is incorporated is awesome. Having lore objects scattered around the worlds is a nice way of discovering those extra tidbits. =D

I've only got a couple of characters, but once I've got a legacy going I have a little list of extra characters to make. They're all on the same server as Alex's.

The Arkanian Legacy (EU)
Artonya - Sith Warrior (Marauder, Pureblood Sith)
Xer'thudi - Imperial Agent (Sniper, Chiss)
Jikari - Smuggler (Gunslinger, Mirialan)

I'll probably expand this list as I go :p

Characters:
Chochanga (Mercenary)
Taymama (Sorcerer)
Pipsqueak (Operative)
Aviendha (Juggernaut)
Firebird (Sage)

Dwayna DragonFire

2014 Little Cup Champion
Okay I changed a few things. My character Dwayna on Empress Teta is now a Trooper because apparently my friends on that server were playing Republic and neglected to inform me properly. Also I created a character on Sith Meditation Sphere which I'm probably going to make as a Juggernaut.

So edit:
Empress Teta US
Dwayna (Commando)

Dwayna (Sith Juggernaut)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I saw this game selling for $20 recently and debated whether to pick it up. I ended up passing on it because I'm not sure who around here, if anyone, still plays it (and I don't really need more time sinks if it's something I'd be playing alone). None of my other friends give it the time of day now (they're all playing Guild Wars 2) so yeah.

Who of you still plays this, and is it still worth purchasing when compared to other/upcoming MMOs?

Doctor Oak said:
Not since they announced F2P. I will once that's come around.

This.

The monthly fee was eating too far into my pocket, so I stopped around March. It was inevitable that they'd go f2p eventually, so I've just been waiting XD

I'm definitely going to start playing again as soon as f2p is available.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Got some news about the F2P restrictions for this game. Some of you likely won't care but others will probably find it stupid. Since I've never played the game before I'm not sure how impacting these restrictions will be nor really care to be honest. I'm just interested in playing it at all, for free. :x

While those who opt out of subscribing will get all the game's story content for free, as a rough rule you'll basically be able to do most things three times per week; three PvE Flashpoint runs, three PvP Warzone battles and three Space Missions each week. You'll be able to buy Weekly Passes for each though in order to get unlimited access. There will be restrictions on both Cargo Bay and Inventory storage which can be removed using the new Cartel Coins currency.

There's no right to run Operations under the free package, so you'll need to buy a Weekly Pass if you want to get your hands on the best loot. Having said that, according to the chart you'll be unable to equip "most purple items unless a license is purchased", so it may not appeal that much to you anyway.

Most of the other restrictions are essentially matters of convenience; those who sub will get priority on login queues, a shorter Quick Travel cooldown and the ability to use the Emergency Fleet Pass to instantly return to their faction's space station. You'll also only get one Crew Skill slot with the free-to-play version of the game, and get a limited number of Field Revivals to use when you die in the middle of nowhere.

Did he commit suicide after reading up on the F2P news?

But really now. Game goes F2P for a reason, and basically everybody expected it to tank really hard.
From what I understand, the F2P limitations mostly restrict the endgame, which is kind of usual for failed MMOs that couldnt keep enough active players. LOTRO as an example does it.
Limited bag space is always an issue in every MMO but its something people can live with I guess.
Getting all the good stuff unlocked might end up costing way more than a monthly subscription fee.

The part that most people played this MMO for (funny enough) is the single player story campaign and thats going free.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Well, Free2Play is here and I'm now back in the game.

Apparently they've condensed the fuck out of all the servers and I've not only been thrown onto a new one, but one where my Imperial Agent must now be renamed for...

But, oh well, it does seem to be worth it for the population boost. Even just after launch, the game seemed empty.

You can find me on The Red Eclipse with the usual username of DoctorOak.