• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Super Mario Galaxy

What, nobody made a topic about this game yet? Damn! I'm surprised!

Anyway, this is a game that nobody should miss when it comes to owning a Wii. In comparison to the previous 2 Mario platform games (Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine, just incase I messed up somewhere), this game is sorta like the Super Mario Bros. 3 of them- it takes the basic qualities of the two previous games and makes it beyond and better than ever before.

Sure, 64 and Sunshine were tons of fun, but they never before got to the point of excitment, shere joy, and music calibur of Super Mario Galaxy. I just got it yesterday, as I planned, and can barely be pulled away from it! I already have about 40 of the stars and going strong. One of the biggest impressions I'm getting is from the soundtrack! I'm usualy a sucker for game soundtrack... I even tracked it down and downloaded the MP3 of the Good Egg Galaxy BGM! I simply love the performance and quality of the strings in the song. It's peaceful, yet exciting at the same time- it's the perfect song to begin a game with!

Now, the controls are a little weird at points. Though it's as you would normaly expect, buttons doing certain actions you would do, when the camera gets locked at a weird angle sometimes, your controls will be hindered a bit. It's not a dramatic change, but still a little annoying now and then. But the though of wanting to go on and explore these galaxies will keep you going ayway with little to no complaints! And some of the levels... wow. They look sorta intimidating at times! When I got to Bowser at the end of the second level, they layout had me having to think carefuly of my next action. Though I didn't get hit, the experience was still a lot of fun!

The unique layout of each and every level has it's own fun traits! Though there are a few levels made up of large "planets", such as the Honeybee level, I'm more fond of the levels made up of the many smaller planets, like the Good Egg Galaxy. Zooming through space at high speeds with little to no familiar exact destination markers can make me a little lost- for some reason, I like that! It's like exploring unknown lands and I have to find my way! And with the music in the background, it only encourages me to do just that!

The graphics for this game are remarkibly impressive for a Mario game as well! Granted, it's always candy to the eyes, but when I took one good, close-up look at Bowser's ugly mug, I was impressed on the detail- you could almost see every single orange hair on his head and can even see the layered scales all over his face! Deffently something worth seeing!

I've heard people say Mario is an out-dated character and deserves to die out. Now, maybe Sonic deserves that, but not Mario. (And just an FYI; I'm a huge fan of Sonic. I hate saying that his games have only been getting worse since SA2B, but that's the truth of it. When I got Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis, I thought "How cool is it to play the original Sonic game whenever I want?!" When I played it, saw that I can't go as fast, the obvious glitches, and obvious time-lag... I was horribly disappointed. I know the original had that happen in it as well a bit, especialy in the Aqua Ruin Zone, but to think it lagged more in the GBA game than the original? That's just sad...)

Yes. Mario has survived the ongoing test of time and is proving to be as much fun as ever. For those of you who haven't already, I recomend Super Mario Galaxy. If you're not sure of it, go to GameStop or somewhere similar and try out the game for a few minutes- if you're not automaticly pulled in once you start shooting planet to planet, you deserve to be beaten over the head with a stick over and over again.

I really like the game. The sound is good, nice story, controls work as they should. Only, it's too easy. I already managed to collect 20 stars in a few hours of playing. But a good game nonethenless and I would suggest people to buy it.