• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Surprising Pokémon Announcement Next Week

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
project.jpg
It has been announced that a special edition of Monthly Famitsu will stream on NicoNico and reveal a surprising Pokémon announcement on the 26th of August.

It's currently unclear what the announcement will be, but we do know that the president of the Pokémon company Tsunekazu Ishlhara will be a guest on the stream. Right now the announcement could be a game, anime, or a range of other things. We can't pin it down to one subject, so we shall have to wait and see what happens!

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Whoaaaa it's a livestream on NicoNico? :o I might be able to watch it... if I get really, REALLY lucky. XD (or I can find someone else who does have a niconico premium and watch them stream)

Either way, everything is so unclear but I'm excite anyways. Hopefully it's not a small announcement if they're telling us ahead of time like this~

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
There's a wide range of guest stars in this, including the Japanese voice actor for Iris, another VA who doesn't seem to have any existing connection to Pokemon, the editor of Famitsu and a fashion model.

I'd be surprised if it was a game, to be honest. It sounds more likely that it could be an entirely new thing for the franchise - possibly very firmly rooted in Japanese culture/media, such as clothes, random merch, etc, or something more related to the anime.

It's probably worth dialling down expectations, really. Whatever you think it is, it probably isn't.

AzureEdge

✧luzrov rulay✧
I'm excited to see what's going to happen.
The fact that it's on Nico Nico is big. I usually see huge JRPG announcements there. So I'm getting excited.

Last edited:

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Maybe it's Pokemon Origins Gold and Silver or something crazy like that. It could also be the long-awaited-but-highly-unlikely Pokemon Special Anime. I doubt it would be Pokemon Z, Gen IV remakes, or Gen VII considering ORAS still isn't out yet but that doesn't rule out a different spinoff Pokemon game. The fact that they're being so vague about this means the possibilities are as endless as the fandom's imagination at this point. It looks like we'll just have to hang tough and wait as patiently as we can the next week.

YueliaBreeze

Formerly Midnight Midna, MoonSnow
Could this be about the little trailer ago from ages back about the game that looked all 3D style ish called Poken fighters or something like that but i hope it could be a 7th gen game but we just had 6th gen at least let that get a prise in the sun first before jumping to 7th gen topic...

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
like if or and as are the last pokemon games
Yeah we're going to stop playing the games long before they ever stop making them. Trust me. This sort of franchise is milked for all its worth, and they don't abandon it until it isn't making money anymore. Pokémon... definitely still is. :p

As for the announcement itself, I agree with Alex - a big announcement would be streamed in the West too these days. So no, dial down the hopes for Gen 7 or Z/X2Y2 or whatever, this ain't gonna be that exciting. :p

I'm confused to how they all the guest tie in with each other I mean if it's anime why does the Famitsu person need to be their or the model. Only way I can think they'd be linked is if there was a voice acted Pokemon fashion game.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Other places are reporting the translation as being a "shocking" announcement, and using that as an indication that it might have something to do with the Detective Pikachu game concept that was highlighted last year in a Japanese documentary.

If it were a game announcement, this is probably the most likely (if not the only real) possibility. Which might be a cool game, but definitely not one of the lofty expectations thrown about by idle fan speculation.