• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

XY/ORAS Singles Team of Favorites

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
So I've been using this team for a while and I think it's pretty decent. It has many points with me since it uses almost exclusively Pokemon I like, either aesthetically or competitively or even both. Fire types and sun teams intimidate me a lot, though, especially the likes of Talonflame and Heatran and whatnot.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
Cleric of the team and really one of the backbones of the whole shebang, the other being Mega Altaria. I'd considered switching Heal Bell with Ice Beam or something similar and giving the ball of fluff Heal Bell instead, or maybe give Roserade Aromatherapy, but for now this is what I have. I've also went for a Bold nature with 252 EVs in Defense instead of Sp. Def but I think I have enough defensive Pokemon on this team to just leave it as my special wall/cleric.

I'm considering switching out Heal Bell for another move and making Rose another specially defensive 'mon so that it can pull off Aromatherapy and thus not have Vap as a kind of setup/taunt bait.

Roserade @ Black Sludge
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
I don't really know what to say here. I'd originally gone for specially defensive instead of offensive but I felt like I needed HP Fire instead of Toxic or whatever. Eh. I don't think Black Sludge is the best item for Roserade given that it's an offensive player and not a defensive one, though it's... more of a bulky offense I guess? Also, see my note for Vaporeon above.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Brave Bird
After trying like, 10 different items, I finally decided I liked Rocky Helmet the best for Skarm. Probably a pretty standard set for Skarmory, I dunno. I'm not sure about the EVs as I was lazy and just had Showdown assign them for me, so any help there would be nice.

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spe
Impish Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
This fluffball, as I mentioned earlier, is the other part of the backbone of the team. I love Mega Altaria's typing, and the type change means I can do some nice things if I feel like I'm being threatened by oncoming steel or poison type attacks. Originally had Heal Bell until I figured it was kinda silly having two Pokemon with the move, so I switched to Toxic. Not sure how I feel about that, but I don't really use that fourth moveslot much anyways.
Ended up going with Dragon Dance for the final moveslot and changed it up so that Altaria's now my setup sweeper. Has caused many of my friends to tremble in fear.

Beheeyem @ Assault Vest
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 0 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
AMAZING coverage, decent special bulk (especially after Assault Vest), and with Analytic, this thing really packs a punch. I've killed many a Bisharp trying to switch in and man do people really hate it.

Mamoswine @ Expert Belt
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Rock Slide
The other thing with amazing coverage. Well, not as amazing, but it already has ridiculous attacking power anyways and Knock Off is great for removing many a wall. Expert Belt is kinda eh but I don't like choice-locking Mamo, nor do I like the recoil that comes with Life Orb. :x

Last edited:

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Right off the bat, Dragon Dance for Altaria's last slot could work wonders since you don't have a setup sweeper currently and that last moveslot, as you said, is pretty much open to suggestion.

With regards to Expert Belt on Mamo, you can potentially fake having a Choice Band if you play carefully with it and then trick your opponent by suddenly swapping your move to catch them out. Worth considering, but it won't work on the lower-tier players since they're literally too dumb to fool.

Easiest way to stop Sun teams and Heatran, ironically, is with Heatran himself. Air Balloon Heatran with Substitute can leave a lot of enemy Fire-types in a rather nasty spot with no way to damage Heatran while he protects himself and prepares to turn the opponent's sun effect against them with his own Fire STAB. Alternatively, your own weather user can work too, but Heatran tends to be easier to fit onto teams that need him.

Finally, be wary of Vaporeon being used as setup bait once people figure the set out, and swap Skarmory's item to Shed Shell if Magnezones start becoming a thing.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
@KoL regarding Heatran, I'd REALLY like to avoid using it as much as I can since I really don't like the 'mon in general x-x I'm also not sure which 'mon I'd switch out. Roserade would probably be the most likely one, but I generally don't like repeating types on a team (even if they share exactly zero weaknesses)

Is there some other usable Pokemon? I mean, I might consider something like Chandelure or something. :x

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
None of them do the job as well as Heatran does. Chandelure specifically is still beaten down by Talonflame Brave Birds.

A lot of the species I've used in the past have been ones I've been somewhat indifferent to or generally disliked to some extent, but a lot of them I came to like after using them a while. I wouldn't knock him until you've tried him.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
@KoL there are 'mons I were neutral about that I came to like because of competitive play (Mamoswine and Jolteon come to mind) so I do see your point. I guess I could try it out :x

I'd replace Toxic on Altaria with Dragon Dance, as it makes it a very potent sweeper with the near perfect Fairy-Ground coverage. The only Pokemon I can think of that resist both are Skarmory and Shedinja.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I'd replace Toxic on Altaria with Dragon Dance, as it makes it a very potent sweeper with the near perfect Fairy-Ground coverage. The only Pokemon I can think of that resist both are Skarmory and Shedinja.
I've faced problems with a certain Golbat before, and I'm pretty sure Charizard and Talonflame cause me similar problems. But otherwise yeah, almost definitely going to put Dragon Dance on Altaria.

Oh. I forgot about the Zubat line. xD Funny, considering that Crobat is one of my favorite Pokemon.
EDIT: Also Gengar resists both Fairy and Ground, but it's so frail, that a +1 252+ Atk Pixilate Return has a slightly over 50% chance to OHKO Gengar. But should the coin flip not be in your favor, Gengar can retaliate with Sludge Wave and OHKO 100% of the time.
But Golbat and Crobat can't touch Skarmory, so if they give you problems, have Skarmory to wall them to hell, then let Altaria set up for a sweep.

However; your Altaria's EV spread is sub-optimal. You may not agree with Smogon, but they do put a lot of research into their sets, and Altaria should either max out its Attack and Speed with Adamant or use this Defensive Dragon Dance spread:
Altaria @ Altarianite
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 96 SpD / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Return
- Earthquake

Here's there explanation of the EV spread (all credit goes to Smogon):
"The given EV spread along with an Impish nature optimizes Altaria's defenses and is ideal for setting up Dragon Dance. 28 Speed EVs are required to outrun Mega Lopunny and Manectric at +2, and to outrun maximum Speed Azumarill when unboosted. 248 HP / 136 Def / 96 SpD narrowly prevents KOs from some commonly feared, powerful attacks; for instance, Mega Altaria can't be 2HKOed by Choice Band Dragonite's Earthquake, Life Orb Thundurus's Hidden Power Ice, Mega Heracross's Rock Blast, and +1 Jolly Mega Charizard X's Flare Blitz, and it cannot be OHKOed by Jolly Mega Beedrill's Poison Jab and Azumarill's Play Rough. A spread of 248 HP / 184 Def / 76 Spe with a Jolly nature gives enough Speed to outrun maximum Speed Thundurus at +1, but it makes Mega Altaria significantly less bulky. A specially defensive spread is also worth consideration, although Mega Altaria is generally more suited for taking common physical attacks."

Also, on Mamoswine, Stone Edge is the better option over Rock Slide 90% of the time. It's got a high chance of critting, which is usually better than flinching, plus it's much stronger.

Last edited:

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
But Golbat and Crobat can't touch Skarmory,

I beg to differ. The Golbat I use runs both Super Fang and Taunt, so it's quite the other way around. While I can't poison Skarmory I can force it out or into suicide with brave bird combining these two.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
OK, this has gone on long enough.

First of all
Right off the bat, Dragon Dance for Altaria's last slot could work wonders since you don't have a setup sweeper currently and that last moveslot, as you said, is pretty much open to suggestion.

I don't need a parrot. If you're going to suggest anything, try to make it something that hasn't already been posted.

Secondly, don't just copypaste stuff from other websites and post it in here. Everyone here knows Smogon exists, if they wanted stuff from Smogon, they'd go to Smogon.

Finally, from the post I just deleted: Don't just toss links to other sites in here either. Again, people don't ask for advice here because they want to check stuff elsewhere.

Unless you have something constructive to post, save yourself the time and effort.

That means no arguing with this too.

Last edited:

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Updated my first post with my updated team; not too much has changed but I'm still open to suggestions. My friend's Hoopa-Unbound wrecked through this team completely and I'm still wary of Heatran and sun teams; fire blast+solarbeam just obliterates 2/3rds of my team if I'm not careful, and the same can be said for Heatran if it's carrying a STAB move for both of its typing. I'll probably run a few field tests with Heatran replacing Rose but I'd honestly prefer if I had other options.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I can see Talonflame being a bit of a pain for any Hoopa-Unbound set due to its rather poor physical defensive bulk, and no matter the set Hoopa runs it'll be at risk of eating a Gale Wings Brave Bird if it decides to stay and fight. Hoopa-Unbound's Speed is pretty crap without Choice Scarf, so any set not packing that at least can be handled by any faster physical attacker. Any Scarf set you'll need priority attacks, your own (physical and faster) Choice Scarfer or prediction to work around its move lock. I can't see much walling Hoopa honestly, at least not for very long.

As mentioned Heatran is the most versatile and effective means of shutting down Fire-types since most lack the coverage to move him, especially if he keeps his Air Balloon open for stopping other Heatran from Earth Powering him off the board. I guess a Flash Fire Arcanine packing Close Combat is a funny alternative.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
@KoL if I do switch to Heatran, is there a particular moveset and EV spread you'd recommend over others? Or is that something I'll have to experiment with myself ^^;

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Heatran is very versatile, so experimenting is definitely the best option. There's far too many ways of running him for me to recommend anything in particular.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Have yet to test Heatran, but I do have one question that's bugging me:

For Assault Vest Beheeyem, would a build of full SpDef/HP investment be better, SpAtt/SpDef, or what I currently have (HP/SpAtt)? I'll likely play with the calculations on that more but a sort of baseline would help me out ^^;

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I'd say HP/Sp.A is best, purely on the grounds that Assault Vest works best on more offense-oriented Pokemon who happen to have decent Sp.Def already, and Beheeyem needs HP training for bulkier sets anyway since its base HP is quite low.