• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Sun/Moon Singles Team Suggestions

So here is my Sun and Moon team. Any suggestions to changing it would be appreciated.

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Modest
252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
- Taunt
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain

Primarina @ Choice Scarf
Modest
Torrent
- Scald
- Phychic
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind

Tapu Lele @ Assault Vest
Timid
Phychic Terrian
- Phychic
- Moonblast
- Thunder Bolt
- Hidden Power (Fire)

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Jolly
Rough Skin
252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

A-Marowak @ Thick Club
Adamant
Lightning Rod
- Shadow Bone
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Adamant
Stance Change
252 Defense, 252 Special Defense, 4 HP, 0 Speed
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I'm assuming Whimsicott's ability is Prankster. If it is, Encore over Giga Drain (your Taunt is faster than anything else's so with good prediction you can never be Taunted) and drop the Sash for Leftovers or something.

Choice Scarf is wasted on Primarina since it'll still be outsped by a fair few things even with max Speed. Also you're using Calm Mind on a Choice Scarf set.

Tapu is fine, although it may not need a Timid nature if you're running Assault Vest since it doesn't need to be outspeeding stuff as much.

Swords Dance Garchomp with only two moves isn't quite as flexible as he was before, especially with Stealth Rock taking a moveslot, combined with the fact that he'll likely get hit while Stealth Rocking, Swords Dancing and then eating Life Orb recoil after all of that. Aegislash at least can take care of Fairy-types for him.

Marowak is fine.

Swords Dance Aegislash isn't a brilliant sweeper due to how limited it is by its move options; unlike Scizor who can quite happily spam Bullet Punch forever, Shadow Sneak isn't anywhere near as potent and a lot of Pokemon outspeed Aegislash. Aegislash is probably better running a mixed set with Shadow Ball over Swords Dance so that someone else can clean up after.

Your team does have three Pokemon weak to Ghost and nothing resisting it. This is probably worth keeping in mind.

Yes, Whimsicott is Prankster.

Oh wow I forgot to modify Primarina. Originally I had Primarina holding Assault Vest but went for a choiced set because of how terrible its speed actually is. I could ditch Calm Mind entirely and put something like Energy Ball. Do you think I should take out its speed EVs and replace them with Special Defense?

For Garchomp, I was actually thinking about removing Stealth Rock entirely and use Poison Jab instead, but I can't quite decide if I should have any entry hazards at all. Originally I thought about using Dragon Tail on Garchomp with Stealth Rock and something like Toxic instead of a Swords Dance set.

For Tapu Lele, would Modest be a better nature? Should I use Leftovers instead of Assault Vest and keep it Timid? I'm actually not sure.

For Aegis, what would you recommend? Something like;

Aegislash @ Rocky Helmet?
Modest?
Stance Change
252? Special Attack, 252? Attack, 4 HP
- Shadow Ball
- Iron Head
- King's Shield
- Sacred Sword?

And yeah the Ghost Type weakness might be a problem with nothing resisting it. I thought about replacing Primarina with Incineroar, but then it would make it weird to pair with A-Marowak. What would you recommend as a good Ghost Type resister?

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I would have at least one Pokemon carrying Stealth Rock on the team. If Garchomp happens to be the only one that can use it then I'd either keep it on Garchomp or swap someone out for a 'Mon that carries it. I personally liked using a mixed Mega Garchomp in singles for shits and giggles. Three attacks + Stealth Rock can work quite nicely.

Modest is fine with Tapu. The Assault Vest is fine too.

Sacred Sword I find to be a lot more situational in use nowadays due to Ghost hitting Steel for neutral. My Aegislash ran Shadow Sneak over it instead so that each of my moves had a separate and specific purpose (one physical, one special, one priority, dual-STAB.)

Incineroar isn't too bad of a shout since he's also neutral to Fairy, which stops Mimikyu and his Fire-type lets him resist both of Alolan Marowak's STABs as well (watch out for Ground moves though.) Otherwise, a solid Normal-type Pokemon can do the job, or if you want a more situational resist, Bulletproof Kommo-o is immune to Shadow Ball specifically (and Gengar's Sludge Bomb to boot) and can sweep with Dragon Dance as well. Choice is yours really.

What about something like

Kommo-o @ Leftovers
Adamant
Bulletproof
- Poison Jab
- Dragon Claw
- Sky Uppercut
- Dragon Dance

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
What about something like

Kommo-o @ Leftovers/Life Orb/Some Z-Crystal
Jolly
Bulletproof
- Poison Jab
- Dragon Claw
- Sky Uppercut/Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Changes and alternative options in bold.

The only thing that concerns me about Kommo-O is Fairy type. Especially when the Tapu are running around.

I wonder if running both Garchomp and Kommo-O is a good idea.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Aegislash beats the Tapu pretty handily if played right. Tapu Koko's STAB Fairy options are a bit crap (Dazzling Gleam off the weaker stat) and is weak to Garchomp's Earthquake.

A type weakness isn't worth worrying about if something resists it. You could have four Pokemon weak to Ground and two Flying/Levitators and it'd work.