• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Charming Mafia - Round Eight: Signups, Rules, and Roles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
5732h.jpg

(Banner by Tunduli ♥)​

After a good long break, Mafia is back!

As always, this game works on a day/night system - during the day, the townies act; during the night, the Mafia and other special roles act.

The Basics

*So as one might expect by now, we've got a little bit of a Mafia problem. Namely, that they are attempting to take over the worldour fair city! In order to root them out, we'll need to meet once a day to decide which of our number might be Mafia. Afterwards, that person will be murdered repeatedly until they are dead :'D You can then loot their corpse or something and find out what alignment they were, but until then you have no solid idea as to what alignment they might be! So choose carefully~

*Every night, the Mafia choose someone to kill, whether that be because they suspect someone of being a special, or simply because they want to kill you all. Their discussion is secret - only they and the Game Master know of their discussions. While this is going on, the various active special roles - described later - also choose their actions during the night.

*Your job from here on is to deceive, defame, and mistrust your fellow townspeople. You must strive to keep yourself as well as your allies alive by any means necessary until you are the only ones left. As long as those means are not against the rules~ Remember, though - this is a game! Try to keep it fun :)

~*~

Game Mechanics

Each day lasts three real-time days in total - two for daytime, and one for nighttime. Each game day, I will post a new thread, and everyone can discuss who they suspect to be the Mafia members, and determine whether to kill someone or not. If they do, they vote by posting their chosen target in bold - I'll count up the votes at the end of the day, have the most popular target killed in a unique and amusing way, and then post their allegiance. After that, the thread will be locked. If there is a tie or the vote is otherwise in limbo, I will use my patented method of Choosing Someone At Random™.

*There may or may not be multiple Mafia families, depending on turnout. Neither family knows the identities of the other family's members, and each family is working to take out the rival family or families as well as the townsfolk.

*Each game night the Mafia will secretly discuss who to murder that day - you can use PMs or chat queries for this, as long as the normal members don't see who did it.

*The day and night cycle will continue unfettered until a winner is determined ♥ The game will end if either one group is the last standing, or if the game is guaranteed to end with a specific outcome.

*Each player has an Inventory: this must be kept updated with the Game Master, and can hold a single Gadget.

~*~

Special Roles

*The Detective may use their investigative skills to determine the role of one player each night. The answer will be provided to them in secret, and they may do whatever they wish with the information.

*The Priest/Priestess is allowed to, once per game, either resurrect a deceased townsperson or smite a living one. However, if they use the power to strike someone down then they must confess their awful sin two days later. If this player is killed without having used their power they are allowed a single vengeance killing.
  • *The Zombie is a special role only created if and when the Priest/Priestess decides to resurrect someone. They haven't been dead very long so they don't look too bad. Their wounds are stitched up and they can communicate just fine. They can still vote, and if they had a special role before being killed then they get it back on top of their new undeadness. A good shotgun blast still finishes them off, though... No worries, right? Well, I dunno, they have a strange craving for human flesh that they may decide to indulge in just once.

*The Thief has one chance per game to, during the night, steal something belonging to another player. This has the effect of stealing the player's role, if any - Thieving from the Seer will make the Seer lose their role, and the Thief will gain it. The thief can be of either alignment.

*The Jester is a morbidly depressed townsperson who does their best to be killed - if they succeed then they shall stand among the victorious at the end of the game.

*The *ahem* Lady of the Night uses her womanly (or his manly) wiles to *ahem* entice a player to *ahem* spend the night with them~ By doing so this player can block the special ability of any other player. For example, if she/he *ahem* lures a mafioso into her/his *ahem* countenance, then whoever the family that specific mafioso belongs to will be unable to carry out their kill for that night. Bearing this mind, after a few days of *ahem* going around the block, our lovely night worker might have some interesting suspicions regarding certain townspeople while they themselves remain anonymous. Be careful, though, because making *ahem* friends with a member of the Couple will prove disastrous indeed.

*An Underboss is a member of any Mafia family, who can convert another player to become a Mafioso, at the expense of their own life. If they convert a special role, that special role starts to work for the Mafia instead.

*The Couple are hopelessly romantic soulmates who cannot survive without the other. Thus, they need to protect each other - if one gets killed, the other dies as well.
  • **If one half of this lovely whole is found to have *ahem* spent some time with a certain Lady of the Night, then the other half of the couple will go into a blind rage and desire nothing less than to kill the Lady of the Night, however, they don't know who the Lady of the Night is and their treacherous soulmate can't remember many details. If they successfully find and kill the Lady of the Night then that member of the couple is now invincible but can no longer vote regardless of affiliation, but they will be listed as a victor at the end of the game.

Not all roles may be used in a single game.

~*~

Rules

*Anyone who is killed by any means is disallowed from continuing to take part in the game (unless they're resurrected by the Priest/Priestess) - this includes speculating in chat or via PM.

*Once you have cast your vote (in bold), you are locked into that vote and may not change it.

*The Graveyard is to be used only by deceased players. If you're deceased and post in it, please don't reveal anything about your respective faction. The Graveyard may or may not be locked depending on how successful it is. Only the Zombie may post in the graveyard, but if they reveal sensitive information then I will return them back to the land of the dead.

*All Mafia discussion in chat will take place in the #pokecharmsmafia IRC room on the same server as the usual chat. The two families are encouraged to make their own hidden chatrooms to discuss their plans.

*If any member is inactive for two in-game days, I will kill them. The exception is if you PM me during this time - I don't want to penalize anyone who genuinely cannot post.

*Please respect the spirit of the game: even if you find a loophole in the rules, refrain from abusing it if it would hurt the game for others. I maintain the right to implement whatever sanctions I feel necessary to enforce this rule, including but by no means limited to public announcements of misdoings, or removing offending members from the game.

*Under no circumstances shall you reveal your identity to anyone outside of the thread via any firm evidence - for example, screenshots. You may, however, reveal your identity in public or in private, as long as it does not contravene the above rule. If in doubt, PM me and ask!

*Anyone who causes issues on the forums or in the chat through drama will be removed from the game. No exceptions.

~ * ~

If you want to sign up for this round, post in bold in this thread.

~ * ~

Obvious Changes in Mafia VIII:
Role Removed: Gadgeteer (It didn't work and was too much effort to maintain.)

Sign-ups are now open, and will close at midnight GMT on Monday June 10th. After that, roles will be assigned and given out over the next few days.

The game will then start at 8PM GMT on Saturday, June 15th, although these dates are negotiable if this is inconvenient.

Remember: Signing up to Mafia commits you to the game - please be sure that you can post at least once every game day before you join!

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Re: The Charming Mafia - Round Eight: Signups, Rules, and Ro

Ladies, gentlemen, and inanimate objects: Mafia VIII is now open for sign-ups.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator

Even though you stole it from me >=| I guess I'm in

>=|, Petey. >=|

I am definitely going to be in this round.

However, I'm worried about the fact that I'm moving in two or three weeks, so I don't know how much Internet access I will have this month. I might not be very active at all during this time period, but I'm willing to at least try.

Edit: See down below

Mr.RMA

Magearna before it was cool

Per usual, sign me up. My laptop should be coming back soon, so I should have no trouble keeping up this time around once the games begin.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football

Oh, it's starting again~ and I was wondering if we were going to do another game or not.

Not playing due to reasons, but I'll have fun watching this game again ♥ Good luck to all the players/teams this time around! XD

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

Yup, can't resist. I'm in. :)

Oh yes, please do count me in this game, I've missed too many.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member

If Katie is playing I may as well do so too, in please. ^^

I am so in!
I've been waiting for this to come back, for a minute now.

After 7 Mafias which I have either forgotten to sign up for or have not been around for, I am in.

I hope I don't forget while it is ongoing.

I must say that, this being my first 'Charms mafia, I'm a little overwhelmed by all the fancy mechanics. It could take a while for me to get to grips with them.

Atma

Formerly Karu

I will be very swiftly saying I am in and trying not to get killed once again! After two suspicion rousing games resulting in my imminent slaughter, hey! Let's see if I can wear the hat this time.

Unfortunately, I can't actually participate this time around, due to issues with Internet access over the next month, so I can't play. I'll be cheering you guys on and watching your progress, though. Good luck, you guys, and hopefully I'll join next time!

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator

Mafia's still happening, just mildly delayed while I bring my computer back up to speed. I'll hopefully assign roles within the next 24 hours and start at 8pm tomorrow (Sunday 16th June).

Status
Not open for further replies.