• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The In-Game Q&A Thread

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
This thread is for small questions about in-game content, such as how best to tackle specific gym leaders or E4 members, or even where to find certain items and stuff. If it isn't full team advice, it goes here.

Well, good to know this place is here :)

Well, I know that you can get a fire stone at the pier in Castelia City, but that's just one stone. Is there another one in game I can find?

And also, I was trying to find Basculin's blue form in Black, but all I could find was red. Can you find it by just surfing, or do you have to fish it out?

Ummm... Does this thread apply for in-game teams? Because I was wondering, which is better, Zebstrika or Galvantula? Because I can't decide which one I want.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
It is for in-game teams Praure.

Doubled said:
Well, I know that you can get a fire stone at the pier in Castelia City, but that's just one stone. Is there another one in game I can find?

And also, I was trying to find Basculin's blue form in Black, but all I could find was red. Can you find it by just surfing, or do you have to fish it out?

I know you can get Dusk Stones and the like from rumbling patches in caves sometimes Doubled. As for the other stones, they're usually just found laying around in random places - keep going through the game and you should find them.

Basculin's an odd one - the blue form is very common to White while the red form is very common to Black. Sometimes, a ripple will emerge in the water where you'd surf, similar to the rustling grass where Audino shows up. I've found that this will usually reveal a Basculin of the opposite colour that appears usually, so in your case blue Basculin will show up in rippling water spots.

PokeGirlPraure said:
Ummm... Does this thread apply for in-game teams? Because I was wondering, which is better, Zebstrika or Galvantula? Because I can't decide which one I want.

Zebstrika vs Galvantula...I myself would consider Galvantula superior due to CompoundEyes Thunder on top of overall better coverage (Bug Buzz for one thing) than what Zebstrika gets.

Oh, thanks. And since I have (kinda) decided my team for Black, could you judge it?
Samurott
Liligant (the one you get in trade) or Simisage
Unfezant
Scolipede
Galvantula
Chandelure
and might be used:
Haxorus
Vaniluxe
So, um, yeah. That's that.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
From my experience, none of the monkeys are that great. Simipour is probably the best of the three, and even it ended up being little more than dead weight once I'd hit the Elite Four. Unfezant is probably the worst Flying-type in the entire game and easily one of the worst Pokemon in Gen V, so I'd advise against using it for anything besides a possible HM slave for Fly.

Haxorus however is godlike - Dragon Dance and Dragon Claw are all it needs to (literally) tear through the entire game with a vengeance. Get the thing ASAP and your life will become much, much easier.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
King of Lucario said:
... or even where to find certain items and stuff.

Hmm, in that case...

Where can one find an Everstone in B/W? I'm getting annoyed at one of my Pokemon constantly trying to evolve when I refuse to evolve it. :X

According to KoL and Rex, the easiest way to get Everstones is to snag them from wild Roggenrola and wild Boldore. There's also supposed to be someone in a Pokemon Center who gives you one for making ten trades.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Lady Carmen said:
According to KoL and Rex, the easiest way to get Everstones is to snag them from wild Roggenrola and wild Boldore. There's also supposed to be someone in a Pokemon Center who gives you one for making ten trades.

Ahh... You must mean the guy in Castelia City. Sadly I've only made one trade thus far, so I'll go bother those rock-types instead. Thanks Carmen. ^^

Doubled said:
Well, good to know this place is here :)

If you're playing Pokemon Black version, you can purchase nearly every evolutionary stone at Black City.

Or if that's too far for you, I believe you can pick up additional stones in mountains (inside dust clouds)

Now that I have a level 36 Petilil, I was wondering, should I give up Leaf Storm and just evolve it or do I wait?
Also, where do you get TMs for Shadow Ball, Brick Break and Earthquake?

EDIT: Nevermind about Brick Break, where do you get above mentioned + Ice Beam and Toxic?

Ahahah, sorry to shoot you down here, Praure, buuuut~

Ice Beam and Earthquake are both post-game TMs ♥ You won't be finding them for a long while~

Toxic is somewhere on that silly surf route to the right of route one. Somewhere. It's sort of annoying, if I recall. Shadow Ball is in Relic Castle, when you actually have to go in there for plot. It's not hard to miss, if I recall.

Which gender do you have to breed to get a Zen Form Darumaka evolution? (I don't remember its name) I've been breeding a female with a Ditto like mad, and I have always gotten Hustle, not Vital Spirit.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
As far as I'm aware, you need to breed a female. Only lady Pokemon pass on Dream World abilities (which Zen Form is classed as, even though you got them in game). And, breeding with Ditto won't work either. You'll need to breed a female with a male, with the female having the ability you want. It's not 100%, but you should get some offspring with the Dream World ability~

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Females pass the ability on to the offspring, with Ditto counting as the male. It doesn't always work though.

...and Inner Focus is the ability you want, not Vital Spirit.

That's according to Bulbapedia anyway (who have a knack for being wrong quite frequently.)

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
There is also a guy who gives you one on Route 10 (or whatever Route it is right before Victory Road). You need to go into the dark grass and slink around a bit, you will eventually run into a gentlemen who will give you one. ;D

For an in-game team, I was wondering if Garbador is any use to me?
He's been in my team for a bit now, but he's not that great when it comes to battling the Elite 4. Should I keep him on, or will I opt for another Pokemon?

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Technically, anything can work to a reasonable standard in-game. While Garbodor is mediocre at best compared to the other options available, he can definitely succeed with the right moves.

Unfortunately, Garbodor's best moves are only accessible via TMs that can only be gotten after beating the Elite Four. A slight revision of Garbodor's moves or just a bit of level-grinding could improve his performance though potentially.

One thing about garbodor as since stench now gives all contact moves a 10% flinch chance, if I recall, if yours has stench, he can abuse doubleslap fairly well in game, in all possibility.
You can also always trade him to another's game to get the tms he wants to keep up with others.

Hi, guys, I'm doing a Nuzlocke of Ruby, and I was wondering, where would you say is the best place to grind a Trapinch, just after the 4th gym?

Jagged Pass (spoink give a lot of EXP, just watch out for bounce)
Though..might wanna go back to the desert if that's not good. That's what I did, running through Emerald at the moment. Good luck =)