• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Private/Closed The Merciless Mirai Region

After running for some minutes Peter felt that he had covered enough distance from the houndooms. He planned to make a small camp at a clearing that seems not far from where he stood. But when he took the next step the ground collapsed, sending Peter and porygon down into an underground tunnel.

Peter groaned in pain. He immediately checked for any injury. Fortunately for him there wasn't any heavy injury, only small scratch. He patted his clothes to clean any dust. Well, looks like he won't be able to clean this until he reached a city.

"Porygon, use flash." porygon's body was now glowing with soft light. Illuminating the area with a good radius. Peter crouched down to examine the tunnel. Nope, he couldn't gather any information, whether this tunnel is new or old, or whether creature or force of nature that create this. But at least this tunnel seems safe. Peter decided to slept here for the night.

"Porygon, you keep guard. Make sure you don't get hypnotized by a random drowzee again!" Being a manmade pokemon, porygon lacks a lot of natural aspect of a pokemon, including biological needs like eating or sleeping, so it could keep guard all night. Although it is not immune to hypnosis and the likes.

"Kukukuk!!"

Jezebel had been about to leave without Felix, since he was so keen on staying near the Houndooms, when she saw a couple of what appeared to be twins. They were making berry salves... Cutting her eyes to her Growlithe, Jezebel took note of how the poor pup was limping behind her.

Kneeling down next to her newest party member, she said gently, "That double edge really took a lot out of you, huh? Come on, let's ask the twins to patch you up." She couldn't deny that she was a bit nervous about presenting Growlithe. She hasn't had the chance to clean up the fire type at all so it still looked it had been neglected for years. But it needed medical attention so what could she do?

Growlithe was more than a bit nervous about getting close to the crowd, even if they were there for medicine. Maybe she could sniff out the healthiest berry salve and run? But that still wouldn't solve her problem of knowing nothing about the forest...

Hearing the girl in the tree call down her question, Jezebel looked her way and responded, "Of course not! That would just be stupid. They're friendly now but who knows how long that will last?"

With a merry fire going and warming her, Val curled further into her sleeping bag, watching stars slowly appear in the night sky. Mal sat grumpily just outside the fire's light, keeping a vigilant watch. He didn't always agree with Val and her soft heart, but it was his duty as her partner pokemon to protect her. He glanced at the bat, still curled in the cloth towel and unmoving. A foe but an hour ago, he found it difficult to accept this new addition to their group, especially when so uninvited and sudden. Malachite didn't do well with company.

Pushing her hair out of her face, Val let her gaze drift from the sky to the trees overhead, wondering if the flits of movement she saw were real or her imagination. A pair of glowing eyes momentarily surveyed her before taking wing - a Noctowl. The Zubat hadn't moved even at the sudden sound - it had actually been worryingly quiet. Val leaned over, keeping her hands to herself, as she scrutinized the pokemon; at the sound of the sleeping bag rustling, the Zubat let out a series of soft chirps - probably to get a better idea of the surroundings via echolocation. Without eyes, how did it sense the light around it? Val wondered. Maybe sensitive skin? Chuckling quietly, she settled back, leaning against the tree, humming a tune she learnt at home. With only the crackle of fire and her quiet voice filling the small clearing, Val could, for the moment, forget her lonesome self in a foreign land.

It all ended well, it seemed. Eleanor didn't seem to mind his little episode, in fact saying he could use such an encounter to put more faith in himself. She also gave him the pleasure of introducing him to her Pokemon...Plural now. Her Petilil had been named Lilith, and the Swablu resting on her head passively hopped into a Pokeball for her. It was named Altair. They were a cute couple of Pokemon, perhaps not the strongest but still serviceable. But he found the most important answer was about getting out of there-

“In that case, let’s find a place to set up camp and then search for Sven, Matt, and Myrna. Safety in numbers, after all. We’re not going to make any headway past a certain point. Trying to traverse the forest at night or set up camp when it gets too dark would be a too risky so it’s better to set up a home base and rest up so we can get up and through the forest as quickly as possible.”

"Sounds good to me. I wouldn't mind meeting up with them again...More people means less chance of being jumped of course."

Kiran was happy to get out of that clearing. It was really unnerving him...and that wasn't entirely unfounded either. As Eleanor, Kiran, and their Pokemon left the site, three red eyes lit up in the darkness.

They had lost their scout...It wasn't exceptionally strong, but a loss was still a loss...It made them quite upset. But there was no getting it back. They'd have to find a new target. Perhaps something weaker...or, weakened.
-----
The sun had just gone down, and they still hadn't found any sign of the trio of Sven, Matt, and Myrna. They weren't supposed to be far, but maybe one of the groups deviated from the path or something. In any case, they weren't going to find them without heading further into the forest.

"Dang it, it's going to be a lot harder finding them in the dark..." The forest was arguably worse in the dark. There was fog lingering in the day too, but at night it made it much harder to traverse. Maybe he should've bought a flashlight in the PokeMart. "You don't think it be a bad idea to set up our own camp here?"

Kiran did have a few necessities. A bed roll, water bottle, and a few granola bars. Not a flashlight or matches, however. "We could take shifts as lookouts, right? I don't think we can find them in this dark...unless you have a good light source."

Seeing that the entirety of his pack were pretty much fully healed, save for a few fractured or broken bones that Shade meticulously and carefully tied the limbs with branches on the ends to straighten the broken appendages, the leader approved of these humans now. The Pokemon growled when Shade put their legs in a position where they could properly heal and when she tied them a little roughly, they howled and roared in pain. She tried her best to make it as painless as possible, but she couldn't find any berries or herbs in that pile that could help numb the Pokemon, except for dangerous herbs around the area. They stayed growling at her, but were a little grateful she did this for them.

The leader could feel like he's trusting them now, which he tried to bat away, but these were the nicest humans he had ever met. It was quite a helpful surprise. He saw that the lady's Growlithe was also hurt from using Double-Edge. Now that his pack was healed, or close to it, he barked at Shade to stop using the salves and start using it on the people's Pokemon. She saw the notion of his head toward the Growlithe and got up, her limbs aching from crouching for so long. She went up to the lady, and asked: "What's your name? I'm Shade and my flaming red-head brother over there is Pyros. I see your Growlithe is injured. I won't be able to make him look less of a matted mess unless you have a brush, but I can heal him."

She then said aloud, so the others can hear: "If you have any injured Pokemon, come to me, and I can use what I have left."

Secretly, she wanted to keep a bit of the paste herself, but she didn't know how many berries she had left, nor if it would be enough.

Pyros heard her introduce him and he waved his hand in the air at the lady. He then stretched and laid back down, the female Houndour resting along beside him. He chuckled and pet her head, confused as to whether this Pokemon was going to be with him. She seemed really docile and that could mean that she'd be easy to train. If that's the case, he should probably capture her, but not without asking the brother and the leader of this female Houndour. There would be no telling what would happen if he took her now... Mainly because he'd die.

"Jezebel Xienstein; and thanks. I'll have to buy a brush at the Pokemart but just some help getting her- I think it's a her," Jezebel said, almost as a question to her Growlithe. She merely snorted and nodded as she sat in front of the boy with healing pastes. "Oh, so you are a girl; I'll call you Jenna then!" Jezebel declared with a smile.

Ignoring Jenna's groan of annoyance, Jezebel turned back to Shade. "Anyway, as long as you can help restore her strength, that's fine. She's in rough shape and it doesn't look like we'll be getting out of here before dawn."

Oh? What perfect timing...

It seems that the twin, who she now knew was called Shade, was taking the initiative to offer help. Reaching into her bag Claire withdrew Sewaddle's Pokeball, whilst mentally reminding herself to buy a waist holster for her Pokeballs. In a flash of white light the Sewaddle, its leafy coat still tainted black, emerged. "I think this little one's been afflicted with Poison, maybe it took a blow from one of the Houndour's Smog attacks." Although she was no medic, Claire still offered her own diagnosis of the situation, flawed as it may be. "If you're able to help it, I'd be grateful."

A short lapse of silence later she quipped out an introduction, "Oh! Where are my manners? I'm Claire de Lune, pleased to make your acquaintance."
------------
Name: Claire Argentia Senica De Lune ( Claire De Lune from henceforth)
Money: 1500 PokeYen
Team:
Chysa (Mareep: Female) | Ability: Static

??? Sewaddle: Female | Ability: Overcoat
Bag: Pokeball x 3, Wide-Brimmed Hat, Steel Baton

Last edited:
As soon as Myrna had thumped to the dirt, Sven had lit an old-fashioned-looking hand lamp and increased the glow until it encompassed the whole of the underground passage. There was actually very little space to light, as the clay overhead made for a six-foot-high roof, and the entire rectangular "room" was roughly 10x30 feet. Matt's Onix took up the entire left side of the den, and Matt himself sat cross-legged by his head. He watched as Myrna stood up somewhat painfully, and Sven gave a thumbs-up.

"Alright! Package is secure."

"Not as much as I hoped." Matt pointed where she had fallen; just to her right sat her backpack. "She missed the cushion. Uh, Myrna?" Matt looked her in the eye. "You okay? Watch your head when you stand up." He waved a hand around the earthen room. "This is Onix's Security Den. It's not the most sanitary place, or the easiest to breathe in, but it'll do in a pinch when camping in a danger zone. Think of it as a Secret Power base."

"Hey, Matt?" warned Sven, looking up. "We're not clear of hostiles yet. One of those things found its way down here!"

Just as he had said, a Phantump drifted down the hole Myrna had fallen through, and Matt gritted his teeth, fingering his pokeball belt. "Crap. All we need is for it to alert all the others to where we are. Onix is weak to Grass-types, and my new Mimikyu is still recovering. Sven, can you handle this one?"

Sven raised a pokeball, but looked doubtfully at it. "Gligar isn't an effective fighter in enclosed spaces," he murmured apologetically. "Myrna, please tell me you have something useful for this!"

Seeing people coming forward, she knelt down and applied the salve and paste to the Growlithe first, treating his open sores from the bite wounds it created on itself to get rid of the fleas and healing its injuries it received from the recoil and living it's life alone in the alleyways. After she was done with her, she then patted the Growlithe on the head and went off to Claire's Sewaddle. She picked up the Pokemon lovingly, cradling it in her arms. She saw the black leaves and instantly thought that Sewaddle was burned, but she also looked quite exhausted. She didn't seem poisoned though. If she were, then she'd be running a fever, or suffering from the chills. She didn't seem to be, although she gave her a Pecha and a Rawst Berry just to be certain, watching the little caterpillar eat the berries slowly and swallowing the juices like a baby.

She then applied the paste to the body of the Sewaddle, and even on the black portions of the leaf. She then handed the Sewaddle back to Claire, smiling.

She then stated: "Well, it's nice to meet both of you. Your Pokemon should be healed within a few minutes, since this is a fast acting healing paste. Sadly, I don't have anymore. Maybe a little bit to help heal our Pokemon, but that's about it. And I don't think we'd be able to leave either. Fiaro, that's Pyros' Fletchling, already flew above the gnarled trees and found nothing but a sea of leaves. This place probably extends miles until the next town. We best be careful."

She watched the flames from the makeshift bonfire from the Houndours twist and flicker in the air, emanating light and warmth, while also destroying the logs underneath to make that sort of light and warmth. It was a destructive, yet creative force, and she knew why her brother loved fire so much. In fact, she could see him staring at the bonfire quite closely, studying how the flames move and bounce about, as if it were an unpredictable dance.

The Houndour gave a whine as thanks for Felix's help, as the young man and his Shinx walked to join the others. He quickly saw that the twins were using a paste to help heal the others Pokemon. While Volt had taken some damage, Felix knew that a good night's rest would help him fully recover. He listened as names were exchanged, as Felix got closer to them. The twins were Shade and Pyros and the young woman with the Mareep was Claire. Felix leaned against a nearby tree and Volt sat beside his trainer's heels, as they heard mention of the Fletcling's scouting.

"Felix Waters," the young man said, butting into the conversation to introduce himself and say his opinion. "I'd say we would probably want to get out of the Houndoom's territory, and make a bit of progress away from here before setting up some kind of camp. We can then all take shifts, if we all trust one another." His voice sounded a bit strained as he said the last sentence, as it was true. He could be easily robbed while he was asleep, so this could be a massive risk. However he pushed his paranoia aside as he focused on those around him.

A wave of relief hit Myrna when she heard Matt and Sven's familiar voices. Well, at least she knew that this hole served a purpose, though a little heads up would have been nice. "Thanks! I think..." She yelled back up at them, rubbing her shoulder as she looked at her bag. While her bag was fairly big, it wasn't wide enough to cover the expanse of the trap's floor, or thick enough to serve as a real proper cushion.

Grabbing the bag strap, she began reaching up at a spare plant root trapped in the condensed soil of the pit's wall, in an effort to climb up and out, only to stop when she heard Matt say her name. "What?" She called back up at him, only to freeze when she saw those red eyes in her peripheral vision once more. Crap... that runt Phantump was still here! Didn't the boys have any Pokemon to deal with this? They had more experience, so why weren't they doing anything? They didn't want her to actually try and battle that thing, did they?

Chewing the inside of her cheek, her hand slowly sunk inside her bag, grabbing Sandile's pokeball. If she remembered everything right, then she knew Sandile was a ground and dark type, while the Pokemon floating next to her (its eyes looked fearful, but it knew it couldn't run away), had to be a grass and ghost type, by the look of it. Grass was super effective against ground, and wasn't dark the type that had no effect on ghost-types? Or was it something else? Dark was still resisted by ghost types, right? Well, she had no choice now. Tossing the Pokeball with a "Go... you! Sandile!", Myrna prepared for her first battle by remembering the moves Jen said Sandile might learn.

"Use- um, let's see- Sand Attack?" Myrna's voice wavered, and before Sandile could understand and react, the Phantump was on him with a Leech Seed, wrapping Sandile in a coat of green vines. They tightened and glowed for a moment, and Sandile cried out. "No!" She reacted, but rather than stopping at her concern, Sandile's stubby little tail was at the floor, flicking dirt at his opponent's eyes. Myrna paused for a moment of realization where she recognized that that must have been Sand Attack, and called out for him to do it once more. Sandile complied, and Phantump's next move- Shadow Ball- missed it's target completely. "Keep it up!" She commanded, and just like before, Phantump continued to miss. Its accuracy seemed to go down the toilet, and it was working so well Myrna almost didn't realize that the Stump Pokemon wasn't taking any damage at all. Meanwhile, the vines around Sandile continued to pulsate, slowly draining his stamina. Despite not landing a single attack, Phantump was still doing damage to her partner.

"Um... use Sand Attack just a few more times?" The Sandile moved to comply, but was stopped when two small tied strands of grass caught his foot, causing him to tumble to the ground. While he didn't fall much, and it probably would have hurt more if it were a larger opponent, it still did some damage. The vines drained Sandile once more. "Oh no," she bit her lip. Why was Sand Attack named 'attack' if it wasn't an actual attack? She remembered that there was a move named Sand Tomb, but was Sandile experienced enough to use that yet? Then there was his Bite attack... but if she was right, and ghost-types did resist dark moves? Then again, Sandile didn't have any other moves that could do damage! It was all or nothing, and if she let Sandile's health be drained anymore- no. She didn't want to even think about what might happen. Once the Desert Croc Pokemon got back to his feet, Myrna made her choice. "Use Bite!"

Sharp fangs dug into Phantump's hazy body, and the ghost type screamed. Were dark type attacks actually super effective? "Use that once more!" She commanded, and Sandile did as he was told. The Phantump fell to the ground, and the vines around Sandile's body seemed to give more slack. Myrna instantly broke out into a smile. "I- no, we did it! Oh my- good job! We beat a thing!" That thing began to stir through her preemptive celebration, causing Myrna's smile to shatter. "Crap. Use..." Her smile trailed off as she realized just how much damage Sandile had taken. Not to mention that while those vines were looser, they were still wrapped well around him. Could he take another attack like that?

Wait. She bought a Pokeball. Reaching into her bag once more, she brought out the spare Pokeball bought at the previous town's Pokemart, and sent it spiraling towards the Phantump in question. A quick white light, and it was in. One roll. Two rolls. Three rolls, then click. "I caught it." Myrna said to herself in pure amazement, eyes unmoving from the Pokeball laying still on the ground. Then she said it once more, louder this time. "I caught a thing! I caught my first Pokemon! I'm actually a trainer! I did it! Oh no you're hurt-" Picking up her new Pokemon, and returning the now-vineless Sandile to its ball, she climbed out of the hole to greet Matt and Sven. "I did it! I caught the Pokemon!" What she caught, she wasn't quite sure, but she had a second Pokemon, and that was the important thing.

--

Name: Myrna Wilcox
Money: 900 PokeYen
Team: Sandile (M - Moxie), Phantump (M - Natural Cure)
Bag: MPL Guide, 2 Potions

Last edited:
Shade whirled her head around to see a young boy leaning against a tree, with a Shinx at his heels. She waved, noting that his name was Felix. She was about to say that she agreed on the plan, but Pyros objected, earning a stern stare from Shade.

"Maybe we could stay for a little while. I mean, these guys were mostly from other trainers, and they all began to trust us. It'd be better if we had their protection throughout the night."

"And it would be worse if they found us running away during a fight that we really need to back out of," Shade quickly said, slightly irritated at her own brother.

Her brother stayed silent, unable to say anything as he was quickly noting the fact that they could, in fact, get stuck with the pack.

Shade then continued: "Besides, after stealing these berries from a nearby Pokemon's pile, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it. Especially since it was the same one that attacked us last time."

"What?" Pyros was furious. Surprised, but furious. Why would she steal the Seismitoad's berries? Yes, we needed them, but he needed them, too. "How much did you steal?"

"Not much, just enough for the male Houndour and I could carry. It was enough to heal everyone in the pack, including a couple more people. I'd say we took at least a quarter of the pile. Plus, it wasn't that big to start out with."

"But if that's just the quarter, then that pile must've been huge-"

"I'm not going to argue with you right now," obviously stressed and tired, Shade quickly cut out the argument with a decisive booming voice, that kind of sounded like a mother. Pyros stayed silent, as he didn't want to provoke her anymore. The stress and lack of sleep was getting to her, and she could snap if he wasn't careful with his words. Then again, she was usually quite controlled in her insane demeanor, but he still didn't want to hear her berate about him failing to be a trainer or something of the like, especially since he already goes through that in his own head.

The tension between the two was quite harsh, as she put away her healing paste and was about to leave. Before she left the clearing, she said: "It's nice to meet you, Felix. Jezebel. Claire. Pyros will be staying with them for awhile. He'll know where to find me, if needed."

With that, she left the clearing, tired of fighting with her brother and tired of just about everything in Mirai. She had grown as bitter as the residents. She sighed heavily, her tears brimming. She didn't want to deal with anything right at that moment. She found a nice little area for the rest of them to settle, gathered some sticks, and laid down. Ghast was released from her confines and she snuggled up to her trainer, hugging her with her gaseous body. Shade smiled at the affection she was giving and petted her head, the ethereal energy coating her hand and giving Ghast a more pleasurable feeling.

Meanwhile, Pyros was shaking his head and the female Houndour nuzzled his hand, wanting him to pet her, so he could feel more at ease. Tears brimmed at his eyes before he wiped them away and said: "Man, we haven't been at each other's throats like that since.. Well, since we hit puberty. That was... Oh man... How long ago? Well, if we hit that new stage of living at the age of 10, then 20 years. We haven't fought like that for 20 years. My Arceus does time fly so fast."

His voice was loud enough for the others to hear, if they hadn't left already, and he pet the Houndour, who was wanting to follow him now. The male Houndour saw the affection his sister was giving and growled internally. He went up to the leader and told him of his suspicions about the human taking one of their members. The leader huffed and watched Pyros closely, definitely seeing a bond forming between the two. She always had been too soft.

"Hey, nice catch," Sven said casually as Myrna passed by him up the 45 degree tunnel exit. "We should be able to relax now."

At the mouth of the Security Den, Matt was finishing adjusting the elephant ear leaves so that the exit was utterly disguised. Seeing Myrna's shadow approach behind him, he turned and looked at her curiously. "Yo. I'm just putting the final touches on our cover. Unless you want out-?"

He tilted his head dubiously. "You're obviously free to go as you please, but unless you've got body armor or mad chameleon skills, I don't advise leaving this spot until morning. Sven's Gligar is now the only pokemon left to us who's fighting fit, until the others get a night's rest. No offense, but if I were you, I'd stick around at least long enough to learn the difference between Sand Attack and offensive attack."

Matt shrugged. "Take it or leave it. I'm going to get dinner started."

"You don't think it be a bad idea to set up our own camp here?

Eleanor’s eyes scanned the surroundings as Kiran began to voice his frustrations. The two of them had been walking around with no sign of the others in sight and visibility had dropped to below the critical point. At this point, there was very little chance that the two of them would encounter Myrna and her cohorts before sunrise.

“It’s not the ideal situation, but that’s what we’ll probably have to just live with.” Luckily, the ground felt dry enough that things wouldn’t get too sticky for them. There was plenty of space as it was a clearing a few meters wide in all directions. “I’ve got a zippo sitting in my pocket so for now...” Eleanor dropped some dry twigs on the ground before her and placed some rocks around it in a circle before pulling out her lighter. “Let’s just get settled around the fire.” After clicking the lighter until it lit up, Eleanor tapped the flame to the dried twigs until they finally heated enough to start an active fire.

“Still, I wonder what the other two are up to.”

Or if they’ve forgotten about us entirely.

Levi let out a low sigh, straightening his collar with a relieved look slowly washing over him. Glad to see the Houndoom pack is willing to work with us here, I really didnt expect that. Animal instinct would call for them to just tear us all apart. Unless these pokemon....these pokemon are all abandoned....how sad... He concluded, his head slowly falling forward.

"Shell.....der?" Titus said softly, nudging his trainer on the leg.

Levi was quickly pulled from his thoughts as his eyes locked onto the small shelled pokemon. "Thanks, Titus." He whispered with a grin that disappeared almost as quickly as it had formed, a skeptical frown quickly taking its place as he glanced over to Felix. Levi approached the younger trainer, ushering for Titus to step up to the young man. "Go on, apologize for trying to start trouble with this boy and his Shinx." He firmly while crossing his arms.

Titus was a bit surprised but his but obliged, but not to happily. "Shelldeeeeeer." It grumbled, apologizing to the small electric type before turning back to his trainer and giving him a 'is that good enough for you' look as if he'd just been asked to climb a mountain.

"Very good Titus, now return." Levi said enthusiastically before turning his attention back to Felix. "I should really apologize to. I know that wasnt the time or place to start a battle but, the thing is, me and Titus havent had the many fights together and I just didnt wanna disappoint him so early on." He explained, scratching the back of his head with a little chuckle to cover up the twing a shame he'd felt. "Oh yeah, im Levi by the way, nice to meet you Felix." He added, holding a fist out to the rough looking trainer.

---
Name: Levi Crowell
Money: 700 PokeYen
Team: Titus (Male Shellder)
Bag: Mirai Shop Guide, 2 Pokeballs, 2 Potions

Felix crossed his arms and tightened his lips as the two twins argued. Felix was silently siding with Shade, as her reason was built more upon logic than faith and hope. The ironic part was, is that they were all going off of faith and the hope that they wouldn't get robbed by another member of this shabby group. Felix watched as Shade seemed to lose the argument between the twins and stormed out, with his thoughts fuming of his ideas and plans. In a sense, his plans were a safety net for things around him. It was clear that there was safety in numbers, but with these amounts of wild Pokemon who seemingly hated all humans, the place they would lay their head could cost them their life. Territories throughout this entire forest would be dotted with tribes and packs of wild Pokemon, and so being in the wrong spot could anger wild Pokemon to their breaking points.

"I should really apologize to. I know that wasn't the time or place to start a battle but, the thing is, me and Titus haven't had the many fights together and I just didn't wanna disappoint him so early on. Oh yeah, I'm Levi by the way, nice to meet you Felix." Felix felt himself ripped from his thoughts by the man who had challenged him to a battler earlier, when he made an attempt to talk with him.

"Oh sorry." Felix began feeling himself snap himself back into reality from his daze. "It's fine, but the problem is that even a minor fight can risk your life out here. Injuring a Pokemon out here, this deep in the forest could cost you everything. I mean, all it would take is a stray hit to injure severely." Felix crossed his arms and gave his head a shake. "Anyways, it's a pleasure."

He turned to Pyros before speaking next. "My problem with this area, is that was are a target on this Houndour pack. Groups of less nice trainers or wild Pokemon could find us after hunting for us, and wind up discovering the pack. I don't really wanna risk the safety of this pack, to simply protect our own hide." Felix gave a shrug, uncrossing his arms and sliding his hands into his pockets. "This is were morality comes into play a bit more." Felix felt himself bite his tongue before he brought up his next thought. Stealing did make sense for this region, and he supported Shade's actions. Sure he felt that those actions of stealing caused the attack of the Seismitoad, it was in an attempt to help her and her brother. Staying in this pack's territory only would bring bad luck to the Houndour pack. However their family problems was something he had no power over. It wasn't his fight, and he was glad he was trying to stay out of it.

"Huh?" Myrna turned around as she was climbing out only to see Sven there next to her. She thought she heard the voices coming from outside the hole, but apparently it was spacier down here then she thought. "But I thought you were- I thought this was- wait, what?" Was this actually a shelter?

Now climbing back down, she stopped to really observe her surroundings. It wasn't exactly the nicest place in the world to sleep, but it wasn't bad either. How did she not see this before? She didn't think she hit her head on the fall, but perhaps her worldview was more disoriented than she once thought. A hand now holding her forehead, she moved to sit down for a while. A lot of stuff was happening at once, and it was a little too much to take in. At Matt's snide comment though, she gave a loud groan. "Why do they call it an attack if it isn't an attack? Let me rest for a minute and I'll help you cook." After that, for a few minutes at least, Myrna rested against one of the dirt walls, either rubbing her bruised shoulder or massaging her temples to soothe her oncoming headache.

"Dinner" was little more than a pot of rice, a few strips of bacon that Sven had snatched from the cruise ship's breakfast buffet, and a packet of ketchup that Sven (again) had bummed from the condiments table. While Myrna sat in a corner rubbing her shoulder, Matt and Sven took turns stirring the bubbling rice. Matt frowned down at the meager dinner. It would be the same thing for the next few weeks to come, and while he personally didn't have a problem with that, Sven would. They would need to learn to skin and eat wild pokemon if they intended to have any variety in their protein consumption.

"Hey, Matt." Sven caught his eye. "Lean closer for a minute."

A minute later, Sven signaled at Myrna and beckoned her to join them at the pot. "Could you stir the rice a bit, just so it doesn't get burned inside the pot?" he asked, handing her the spoon. "Also, Matt here has something to tell you."

Matt made a noise in his throat, somewhere between irate and bashful, and looked down at the ground as he stood before Myrna.

"Sorry," he mumbled.

"For . . ." prompted Sven. Matt sighed in resignation.

"For being a dick. Look, I-" He looked up and waved his hands apologetically. "I don't know much about this region, but I know its reputation for chewing trainers up and spitting them out. I don't like the thought of that happening to you or anyone, because it goes against my principle that everyone deserves a sporting chance. So . . ." He scurried to the corner where Onix lay watching, and picked up the staff leaning against it. "I would consider it a favor if you would let me teach you the basic type advantages. Just to give me some peace of mind."

Matt began scraping images of water droplets, flames, and leaves in the dirt with the butt of the staff, then paused halfway through a lightning bolt. He looked up. "Actually, before that . . . I'd like to hear a little more about you, and why you're doing this. We couldn't talk before because of the pokemon above, but it will pass the evening."

*(OOC: We don't have to draw this part out. Just whatever you think is appropriate, and then a jump to morning.)

*Name: Matt McCallister
Money: 500 PokeYen
Team: Onix (Sturdy)
Mimikyu (Disguise)
Bag: TRAINER ITEMS: License, 1 Potion, 2 Pokeballs, 1 Antidote.
SURVIVAL ITEMS: MPL Guide, compass, bedroll, water bottle x2, lighter x2, crank-charging flashlight, phone & charger, titanium knife, rice-pan, rice (19 lbs), 2 spare sets clothes, whistle, whetstone, 30 feet of rope.

Last edited:
Claire was rather amused with the boy's argument. It really was quite persuasive as he poked at the morality of the trainers by implying they could somehow attract trouble for the Houndoom pack. The idea did have its merit but the only entities that would brazenly hunt in the territory of another Pokémon, or in this case a group of Pokémon, would be trainers or apex predators. Nothing weaker that the Houndoom pack would risk itself by hunting on their territory, thus only Pokémon who were originally far stronger than the pack or trainers who where confident enough would dare to trespass. Needless to say any of those enitities could wipe out their entire group, in all likelyhood their group was at least a level or two below a he packs, and if an opponent the pack couldn't handle appeared...

"Well, I second Felix's statement, this location isn't very safe", though she meant it wasn't safe for them rather than the pack, "we should find somewhere more protected, maybe a cave or a large clearing. Caves are easy to defend since there's only one entrance, but likewise if we don't get attacked we'll be hard pressed to escape. Clearing on the other hand can't be defended, but we'll be able to see anything coming at us from a long way off, so escaping problem."

She paused, her fingers finding their way to the locks of her hair, and stared at each member of their group. "Between us we have two ghost types, and a flying type, all of which are rather good Pokémon for scouting. If we occupy a clearing and use 2 person rotations then I'm sure we can have a rather peaceful night. Although entrusting your back to people you've just met isn't exactly prudent, especially in Mirai... but this situation is a bit special don't you think? So let's all get along~ okay? At least for the night."

She flashed a smile, locking eyes with the other trainers, searching them for hints of -hopefully- approval.

Some way away from the other rookie trainers fighting their way through the ghost type ridden forest was Niko, perched high up in the branches of an ancient oak tree, almost invisible nestled amongst the sprawling nest of branches were it not for the bluish glow of an LED torch. Filtered through countless leaves the light cast an eerie web of shadows on the forest floor below, perhaps the only real clue that the young man was there at all. Honestly Niko was feeling pretty good about himself, after a very short stay in Dolvious he had quickly wandered off the beaten path, eager to put some distance between himself and the assholes that occupied the port. He'd felt like a Mareep surrounded by Houndooms there, gazes digging into him like he was nothing more than prey, weak and vulnerable. Certainly a far cry from the likes of Slateport back in Hoenn where the worst thing you might have to deal with is Wingulls stealing your chips. Now he was safe in his wooden abode, backpack behind his head as kind of makeshift pillow and his hip flask in hand, and as safe as safe can be in a haunted forest. Although many ghost types could float he reasoned that they would be more likely to prey on those who were wandering around the heavy traffic footpaths of the forest, and those camping out on the floor. Sure bug types could have posed a risk but he'd spent a good half hour hurling rocks into the canopy of this oak before climbing it, hoping to scare any nasty critters away. By some miracle the tree had been almost unoccupied, just a few petrified Wurmples that were quick to flee the scene. Sure he had felt a little bad for the harmless larvae but at the end of the day they knew this harsh place better than he did.

"Paw.."

The soft cry had come from Ronin, Niko's faithful partner for a few years now, helping him with both his blacksmithing and dream to be a trainer. The Pawniard was currently lodged head first in the thick trunk by the sharp blade that protrudes from it, his limbs dangling lifelessly whilst he sleeps. Sure it was an odd way to get some rest but it prevented the little steel type from falling 15 feet to the ground if he slipped. Despite knowing the practical reason behind it looking at Ronin was enough to tease a smile from Niko, he found the Pawniard ridiculously cute, even more so than more stereotypical cute Pokémon like Pikachu or Jigglypuff.

The scent of the forest, flowers, rotting leaves and wood, pollen, etc, suddenly vanished, washed away by something sickly sweet like..raw sugar? It wasn't a subtle change either, the smell was a full on assault on the senses, enough to bring tears to the eyes. What could possibly be the source? Than he heard it. A faint buzzing, the beating of wings growing steadily closer. Niko was getting twitchy now, getting into a more defensive stance, or the best he could up on his precarious perch. What terrifying beast of the night was coming his way? Some vicious bug type? Maybe even a flying type he'd never seen before? Or maybe even a...Combee.

The little bee Pokémon had fluttered down from above, hovering between Niko and Ronin. Its silvery wings shone beautifully as Niko's torch shone through them, the red block on the bugs head reflecting the light right back at the trainer. Ronin had deluged himself from the bark behind the Combee, on edge after waking up to find a Pokémon he didn't recognise bearing down on his trainer. The Pawniard began tip toeing along the branch towards it, ready to strike if need be. His advance was only halted by Niko raising one hand, signalling to his friend to hold up. Those 3 ditzy little smiles...surely this thing was harmless? Besides its gaze wasn't actually directed at either of them...no the bee seemed fascinated by the hipflask in Niko's hand, nudging closer in an attempt to inspect it.

"Oh your a bit of an alcoholic hey?" Niko smirked, a plan forming behind his hazel eyes. He took the cap from the flask and filled it just a little bit with the strong alcohol inside, placing the now full cap on the branch just in front of him, careful not to spill any of the precious liquid inside. With a delighted chirp the Combee dived straight for it, greedily guzzling the whisky with one of its three mouths. Niko was as still as a statue, desperate to seize this opportunity while he still had the chance. A few seconds went by, the still night air only broken by the sound of the Combee guzzling whisky. Slowly, painfully so, Niko reached behind his head and into the bag he was using as a pillow, pulling out a nest ball that was currently in two parts. It took a few more minutes of tinkering with the device for it to return to working order. With the final satisfying clink Niko knew it was now or never. He hurled the ball with all his strength, catching the feasting bug off guard. The ball bounced off the Combee's red gem, splitting open to absorb the critter in a blast of red light. The ball twitched once as it fell, white sparks bursting out. It was done? As easy as...shit. Niko lunged forward arm outstretched, almost falling from the tree as he caught the ball and stopped it from falling to the forest floor below. Heart fluttering the greenhorn trainer returned to his makeshift bed, net ball grasped firmly in one hand and his hip flask in the other. His eyes caught his partners and for a moment they both just sat, wide eyed at what had just happened. Then surprise gave way to glee and the pair chuckled, both settling back into their previous positions. Yeah, this was way more fun than blacksmithing.

Name: Niko Colaire
Money: 2500
Team: Ronin the Pawniard, male with Defiant. Female Combee ???
Bag: Hipflask, Mira shop guide, 2X sitrus berries, Ronin's blade sheaths.

Last edited:
Kiran was glad to see that Eleanor had a lighter. He sort of messed up not bringing one...Oh well, it was being less productive thinking about what he could've done rather than seeing what he could do in the present. He made himself useful as Eleanor prepared the fire, collecting a pile of sticks to sustain the fire after it was started. It would be convenient to not have to walk around and gather wood while keeping watch later.

And as the fire lit up, he set down his pack. He had returned Gina earlier to keep up her stamina and not wear her out too much- after all, Psychic types aren't known for their physical power. Now Kiran was considering letting the little Gothita out again...but he would also have to feed her if he left her out. In a digital format, Pokemon didn't get hungry. Speaking of Pokemon, there was the issue of his new Duskull buddy. He didn't even know what to name it. He'd...he'd figure something out.

“Still, I wonder what the other two are up to.” Eleanor had asked. Kiran pondered that. The other group had sort of...vanished. Looks like those guys hadn't followed that...Sven? Matt? He didn't really recall their names well. He wouldn't be surprised if one of the groups made it out of the forest before the other.

"Probably getting into trouble...or hiding. Possibly both at once!" He joked. "That...that wasn't very funny was it..." Kiran tried to change the subject off of his questionable joke. "So anyways...I saw you were collecting plants earlier. If you don't mind me asking, why? Are you a botanist or something?" There were a lot of ways he could've worded that better, but it was too late now...

This day has just been one of "those" days, hasn't it?
Kiran thought to himself.

The pain in Myrna's managed to die down a little in her moment of silence, but it still stood as a dull ache in the back of her skull. If she wasn't still hungry, then she would have gone to sleep right there. It took her a moment to realize Matt had said something to her. "Huh? Oh. Wait, what?" Myrna looked up at him, face scrunched in confusion. Why was he apologizing? If a coworker that was just hired at her office didn't meet the requirements for the job, she would get a little annoyed too. "You don't have to apologize for anything, except maybe taking in the forest longer than you said you would. And you know, leaving me to ghost stumps? But really,I know type matchups. Or well, I think I know most anyways. I learned them at some point when I was younger, but after college you kind of shove everything out of your brain to make room for the stuff you think you're gonna need, you know? Like, it's there. It's just... fuzzy. For instance, I know that ghost is immune to two types. One of this is normal. I thought the second was dark, but apparently that's not the case. I don't know. Are you sure you wouldn't mind giving me a quick refresher course?" He was already drawing out a chart in the dirt.

At Matt's other inquiry, about her personal life, Myrna chewed the inside of her cheek. While there was technically nothing wrong with telling other people about her brother's condition, it still felt too personal. It felt as if, by admitting how weak he really was to a person she knew couldn't help him, his state was her fault. Of course every logical bone in her body declared otherwise, but no matter how you look at it, Myrna did abandon her brother, and on a gamble no less. So instead, she decided to avoid the question. "I don't really think there's much to tell about myself. I just have an average life. Though I guess maybe... Well, I'm from Unova, for a start. I lived and worked in Castelia City until a few months ago, and now... I'm here. For someone's else's sake. I mean, I just- I need money, and fast. And people that do well here in Mirai are able to get money and popularity quickly. Unless I win the lottery, this is the second fastest way to get rich. I need to at least try." She looked up at Matt. "Well, what about you two?"

"I'm kind of hungry," Val piped up, with eyes still closed. The night had moved on, and Val had a watch, but it was set to Orre's time. She'd have to find a PokeCentre, preferably in the next town, and align the time. Although, by some rough calculation, it was nearing midnight, give or take 30 minutes. Mal looked around, grumpiness flitting across his face again at the sound. It was silent all around, and oblivious to the large-scale battle that had occurred some ways away, Val was still ignorant of the strength of the local pokemon. Besides fighting off one or two ghosts with ease, all had been still around them - Mal was even chewing on some dirt. Swallowing, he returned to his vigil. Being nocturnal, the Zubat had, as expected, remained awake, but had been little trouble except for the occasional moving to lick its wing.

Evidently still wary of the company - not that Val could blame it - the Zubat had been as inconspicuous as possible, and had actually grown visibly uncomfortable when Val was observing it. How, she wondered, did it sense her watching? She had been slowly inching closer over the past few hours, as sleep eluded her, but it had screeched ear-splittingly when she came within a foot of it. It had since settled down again and she was toying with the idea of starting to pull closer again. Looking around, she could recognise a few bushes from the light of the fire, and knew them to be berry bushes, just not in season. Mal didn't need any plant material, but maybe she could bribe the bat over with some berries. Despite not being a native of either Orre or Sinnoh, the dual type bat was widespread enough that she was familiar with the pokemon.

The novelty of spending the night in a new region had dulled, but Val's eyes continued sweeping over the forest, not watchfully, but wistfully. "Mal, come a little closer," She called, spreading out her arms, as though asking for a hug. The reptile critically eyed her, before deciding it could use the warmth. Waddling over, he climbed onto her lap - with a few sounds of pained protest from her - before leaning against her. It felt rather as though a stone was digging into her stomach, but she draped her arms around the Larvitar anyway. "I feel a little alone," She explained, with a hand resting against the Rock type's head, even as the Zubat shifted slightly in its blanket wrap. Used to cold, damp caves, while cozy, the blanket was getting a little too warm.

Mal paused a moment, coughed up a rock and handed it to her with a knowing smirk. "...thanks. Stupid reptile." She grumbled, trying to hide a smile as she took the rock and pointedly threw it away. Expecting only the usual rustle of the forest, she flinched with surprise when an angry squeal met her ears. Nice. She managed to piss off two 'mons in one night. Mal looked understandably annoyed, as he flexed, warming up for the possible fight. Except...

A tiny insect crawled out. Well, it wasn't actually tiny. It was over two feet large. It was huge. Val gasped and scrambled to her feet, tipping the dual ground dweller off, who glared daggers at the intruder. The fuzzy pokemon looked left and right, appearing a little dazed, before turning towards the Larvitar, squealing. Malachite tensed, prepared for combat, but the newcomer simply turned and crawled sideways, towards the fire. It wasn't approaching Mal, but it wasn't actively avoiding him either. Brave little thing. It wasn't a pokemon familiar to Valeriya, but she was certain she had seen it somewhere. Maybe someone back home had one? Regardless, she couldn't remember anything about it - its name, typing, or strength. Either way, it was crawling towards the fire, and the Zubat shifted restlessly.

Carefully sidestepping the sleeping bag to avoid making any noise, Val scrutinized the interloper from afar - the insect had just walked into their clearing and seemed relatively peaceful, and strangely comfortable. It was also much smaller than the one she remembered seeing long ago. "Mal," She breathed, recalling the Larvitar to her side. The Zubat had grown agitated, and begun making low squeaks and gently flapping. Val pursed her lips, but didn't approach to calm the pokemon; it could still bite, or strike out with whip-sharp wing edges. The bug momentarily turned to gaze at the Zubat, chirped as though to reassure it, before settling closer to the fire.

"Wh- ...why is it sitting so close to the fire? Shouldn't bugs be afraid of it?" Val mumbled, bending to talk closer to Malachite. He didn't respond, and continued to watch, but with less wariness than before. The intruder had actually grown comfortable, and light churring noises could be heard as it closed its eyes. "Eh, maybe I should go see what it wants?" Feeling rather foolish cowering at the edge of the campsite, Val whispered again, eyes never leaving the little fuzzy bug. Mal turned around, eyes wide and clearly judging her. "Vita?" It asked in a flat tone; she knew what it meant and shot him a look in return.

"Shut it. Unless you can do it?" She asked with a sly smile. Malachite frowned, turned and gave the bug a once-over, before taking a deep breath. He'd show her! He wasn't afraid of some bug! Kicking some dust behind him - in Val's face - he walked closer. While his initial steps were full of confidence, it began gradually waning, until he was little more than shuffling closer. He was larger than the bug, and stronger, he'd bet - of course he would - but one never knew, and he wasn't taking any chances. The thing saw him coming, and rather than shying away or hissing and taking an aggressive stance, it actually seemed to welcome him. What could be described as a smile spread across its face, with small eyes crinkled and small sounds of 'la! la!', it wriggled its little legs as though excited to make a friend.

Malachite stopped dead in his tracks, debated if it was worth risking it over this clearly delusional pokemon, and beat a hasty retreat back to Val. "You big baby, it wants to make friends," Val giggled, stepping forward eagerly as soon as she saw the little bug was friendly. So far, pokemon and human alike had been the epitome of mean, so happy face was a breath of fresh air. Deception didn't strike the gullible girl - she had much to learn. Regardless, seeing the human approach, the friendly gestures dulled, but it continued making social overtures. "Aren't you a friendly little thing?" Val asked rhetorically as she stopped, letting the bug come to her. It even allowed her to crouch and scratch its furry little back! It was a little damp, but judging by the flame-coloured horns on its head and its attraction to fire, it actually seemed to be a fire type. Was it?

The insect rolled over, legs still wiggling, and Mal actually humphed behind her, a little jealous. The Zubat had since stilled, eerily facing the girl despite having no sight. The whole thing really disconcerted the Larvitar - it wanted out of this clearing, this forest, this damned region. It walked over to the wrapped up bat pokemon, worrying over the girl's safety - the Zubat didn't so much as flinch. The bug under Val's fingers coughed a few small embers before happily chuckling again. "Aw, you're so small. Why are you here alone?" Val asked, even as she knew the answer.

Malachite whirled around, pupils dilated and a snarl on his face. The Zubat violently flapped free of the blanket, flitting to the closest branch as the Larvitar gave the fiercest, most intimidating roar he could to the depths of the darkness beyond. Not again. Val stood, surprised, as a heartbeat of total silence passed; not even the insect moved, and she could hear her own racing heartbeat and wheezing breath. Then with a magnificent burst of flame, it came into view.

With the scent of smoke, and with hints of fire glinting off of its scales, a draconian figure came into view. With six flapping wings and horns along its face, some sort of hell's angel entered the scene. As Val would learn later, it was a Volcarona. Likely the parent of the Larvesta behind her - but it had shown not out of concern for its progeny, but from agitation from the battle that had taken place some ways away. Disoriented, a normally benevolent figure had appeared in the form of a seraphim of destruction, and Val knew they stood no chance against this pokemon. She had no PokeDex, but there was aura of strength around the pokemon, and being known for evolving late, this pokemon was leagues above them. "Mal! Run!" She called as she grabbed the Larvesta at her feet. Bug pokemon produced progeny by the hundreds, and they were abandoned immediately to fend for themselves; it cared nothing for the smaller counterpart before it, even if it had fathered or birthed it itself.

Malachite was having none of it. He knew that he represented the mountains and the thing before it was fire and fire should fear earth and he wouldn't back down! Small fists clenched, a punch to the earth led to a small avalanche of rubble upon the foe. It needed to know it wasn't welcome here; to turn aside and leave them be - but the doubly effective Rock Slide carried more of a punch than they expected, and it served to anger the dazed Volcarona instead. With an unholy screech, the sun god spread its wings, flared briefly before erupting in a sea of flames. Even a weak move like the unfocused burst of flames posed a great threat to the Larvitar, even if he did doubly resist it; it was just too strong, and the Larvitar was severely regretting not knowing when to back off.

As the waves washed over him, overheating the cold-blooded reptile, Malachite scrambled to escape the lick of deadly flames. As the surrounding vegetation charred to a crisp, Val snatched up her sleeping bag and the blanket that had housed the Zubat, who now flapped in alarm on the tree branch. Larvesta under one arm and bag draped over the other shoulder, it was all she could manage to scoop up her bag to make a hasty getaway. But she couldn't outrun fire. "Mal, cover us." She dug out his pokeball, which she showed to him before turning and trying her best to get away. The mechanism allowed him to be recalled over a certain distance, and he was certain Val would be watching to see he wouldn't get too hurt. The Zubat uncertainly fluttered on the tree, but as it was all but ignored by the fire-type, it decided to stay still and hope to avoid detection.

Malachite stepped behind Val, letting the flames wash over him, and effectively blocking them in a straight path behind. It had been a short burst, but the ignited foliage spread embers quickly, and soon the entire campsite was ablaze. Mal shook his head sideways in an inherited aggressive behavioural trait, wielding his horn threateningly, although the aggressor seemed unimpressed. The circle of fire had quickly spread, and while Val had outrun the initial burst, she soon found herself hemmed out. Alright alright alright, the fire will burn outwards until it stops. It'd be better if I head back. Sweating profusely, the girl whirled this way and that, Larvesta still clutched in an arm, unresisting and trembling; seeing no other option, she clutched Mal's pokeball tightly in her hand before heading back, following the ash trail.

The Volcarona had grown agitated, and Mal, seeing no way out for a quick exit, not that Val was stuck, quickly struck out with a second barrage of rocks. A regular hit hurt bad enough, this one seemed to crit, and the pain jolted to outright aggression. It was evidently back to its senses, but wouldn't leave without one good hit - and that was all it would take, really. Wings outstretched and ghostly wisps playing about it, the Sun pokemon raised itself off the ground, as the air around it superheated. Here was a strike of unquestionable power, and through Mal's type advantage, through his rock skin, not even ashes would remain.

Malachite stood in the face of fear and death, frozen stiff. So this was it for him. There was no way out. Nowhere to run. If this was how he went-- like a slap across his face, a sky-splitting shriek rend the air apart. Starting violently, Mal stared wide-eyed about for the source before reacting quickly and naturally to start digging downward frantically. Small arms pumping, he turned around as he saw Val approach - no! She would die here! Pokemon typically did not target humans, but Mirai, as always, seemed to be the exception. They had angered the pokemon, and for that, they would die. The unfairness of it struck Mal hard, and he felt cold tears form, roaring indignantly at the Volcarona in a last act of defiance. "Shut up, Mal. Get in," Brusquely chiding him, Val whipped out the pokeball and tried to withdraw the Larvitar, only to have him jump aside. Their one hope could be that the inorganic metal of the pokeball would withstand the flames better than organic flesh, if thrown what would hopefully be far enough from the Sun incarnate.

Said sun seemed to be done charging, but was behaving peculiarly again. The heat around it wavered as it turned in different directions, as though having difficulty locating the Larvitar, despite him standing right in front of it. The gathered power shook again; almost all energy was unstable, and a lot of it gathered and unreleased was never a good sign. Surprisingly, the Zubat flapped out from the tree it had huddled in, a little smoky and voice a little harsh but miraculously unscorched; swooping down, it replicated the ear-splitting screech Mal had heard before - this time made him a little woozy. Zubat were known for using different frequencies of sound against their opponent, and this one was no exception - except its timing couldn't have been better. Disoriented, the Volcarona flapped in a desperate bid to ignite it all, but the energy, instead of fanning out as it had intended to, seemingly imploded in a powerful burst of flame. Embers flung far like meteors, and the one that struck Mal left a deep black mark on his skin - if it did that to rock...

It hardly seemed like night - the forest was aglow with the fury of the powerful solar deity. Ash and smoke obscured the air in a terrible aftermath, but the ash remaining would give way to new life. Struck with its own power, the Volcarona staggered, more dazed than hurt - which followed shortly as Mal grabbed the opportunity to pummel it once again with rocks. Taking the beating, the Volcarona staggered back, contemplated for a moment, evidently clear of head, decided it couldn't take another one of those - and majestic wings beating, left. It left. Val watched it turn away with something akin to incomprehension - she felt like she was having an out of body experience. The Larvesta in her arms showed no remorse except a small chirp to acknowledge its peer's strength. Malachite's frigid exterior never cracked; he remained bristling and growling until the air had cooled, long after the heat course had disappeared through the unscathed undergrowth, and Malachite and Valeriya were all that were left in the jagged circle of ash and ruin. Destruction spread out perfectly, immaculately. That was the power Malachite feared, and sought.

"Oh, Arceus. Oh, sweet baby Mew, we lived," Val breathed, as giddiness mixed with delayed shock, and she sank to her knees, staining her pants with ash; Mal glanced around at his trainer, his partner - he was glad to see her. Toddling over, he placed a still-warm hand on her arm, and the Larvesta crawled out, furry body rubbing against her torso. So that's why it was so small and so attracted to the fire - it was freshly hatched and wanted warmth; well, it had had plenty of that now, hadn't it? Stifling a cough from all the ash, she got to her feet - dusting off her pants and bag, she decided sleep would elude her after that adrenaline rush and rolled up her sleeping bag. Casting a wary glance around - you never knew what watched her from the darkness of the forest, she wrapped the Larvesta up in the blanket, murmuring to it. ('What? So fire? And? What else are you? Grass? Bug? Think you'll grow up to be that cool, you cheeky fuzz? Let's see if we can find you your guardian.')

As Valeriya prepared to leave, calling to Malachite and offering him the respite of a pokeball - which he refused - aforementioned Larvitar turned around, as memory served him in time. Red eyes slowly sweeping over the treeline, it settled on what he was looking for. The Zubat. It sat perfectly still, wings folded - one not quite, but almost - and stared dead ahead, at the retreating company. Val paused and looked around, eyes finding what Mal had honed in on. There was a moment of heavy silence between them, much like the one that had settled over them at the campfire, as Val cradled the grudging Malachite against her. And then Val smiled, held out an arm and said, "Come. We feel a little alone." And that was how the Zubat found a perch on her shoulder as they moved through the night.

~~~

Name: Valeriya Mikhailov
Money: 2500 PokeYen
Team: Malachite (Larvitar, M), Zubat (???), Larvesta (???)
Bag: Nada~ Except MPL guide. She needs some pokeballs :v

(I swear that's it for the forest! xD)

Sven got up from the dirt floor, grabbing the lamp as he went. "You cover for me," he murmured to Matt. "I- you built a potty chamber, right?"

"Onix did, yes."

"Good. I'm gonna go take care of a little business. I'm taking this." Sven tightened his throat so that his next words came out in a Gollum-like gurgle. "Don't follow the lights!"

He disappeared down the dirt corridor, leaving Matt and Myrna in the dark.

"Well, uh, I guess I'm kinda like you," Matt said, to fill the silence. "I'm here for the money too. It's nothing noble- just to pay for my college years- but you say you're in need of fast money for someone else's sake?"

He put a hand to his chin, invisible in the pitch black. "You should do what I did, and find yourself a patron. The earlier you can catch a rich person's eye, the sooner they'll be in your corner, funding your success. You just have to be careful not to find someone abusive, or unreasonable in their expectations. Someone who will follow through, like Sven."

Matt proceeded to talk about Sven's wish for recognition, until his "patron" came back down the hall, whistling. He was now dressed in an outfit that resembled a Gligar Halloween costume, down to the webbed flaps under his elbow. Matt stared at him, open-mouthed. Sven placed down the lantern, and looked at him with a raised eyebrow.

"What-? They're my pajamas."

"Your Gligar Man costume? Seriously? I can still see the milk stains from when you spilled your chocolate cereal while watching Saturday morning cartoons in that."

Sven shrugged. "It's got sentimental value. Don't act like you haven't got a security blanket, Mr. Stick."

Matt picked up his staff and resumed his scribbling in the dirt. "Anyway, to continue the whole type advantage chart thing, imagine the Chinese New Year placemats they give you in any restaurant. You know how each animal has two other animals you can marry, and one you should avoid?"

He scratched out a rough dragon, obviously resembling the dragon-type, and started a snake to resemble Poison-types. "Rather than trying to memorize every critter's advantages and weaknesses, I suggest making do with knowing two advantages, one weakness each. It'll help when your mind's racing in the heat of battle. We both have Ghost-types, which are strong against Psychics and other Ghost-types, but are weak to Dark-types, like your Sandile. Now, take my Rock-type Onix . . ."

It wasn't until hours later that Sven declared it was lights-out time, and they had unrolled their sleeping bags to rest for the night. As his last action, Matt called out Mimikyu to stand sentinel for the remainder of the dark hours.

Pyros turned his head from his easing affection given to and from the Houndour to Felix. This kid... He looked quite lanky, being almost as tall as him, but he had a sense of youth about him. That he could respect, but he couldn't exactly believe that this kid, who looked to be about a little older than a senior graduating from high school, could have a sound mind and be as mature or even more so than him, a man in his 30's. Well, his other quadruplet brother was like that, but he hated that he was like that, and they'd get into lots of fights because they'd constantly butt heads. Regardless, he listened to what Felix had to say, and thought about it logically, or how well he could due to he and his sister's fight. He felt a little bad now, and he looked over the pack and thought that maybe it really wasn't safe, for the pack or themselves. When Felix said: "This is where morality comes into play a bit more," he almost lost it. He almost began to see red. If it weren't for the female Houndour cuddling him, he would've walked up to the boy abruptly and socked him a good one. He felt as if he were losing ground in this argument now. He could also tell that Felix agreed with his sister's decision on stealing. He sighed, pushed the Houndour gently off of him, and stood up, becoming his full height. He then responded in a little stressed, but a calm voice:

"Look, I only came here to protect my sister because I know how she can be. She's mentally unstable. These illegal acts would only further her mental instability. She's not safe to herself or to anyone around her. If it weren't for our parents, she'd be in a mental asylum, okay? I do agree with you that we shouldn't use the pack like that, especially since ourselves or the pack could get hurt by anybody wanting to hurt them or us, but morality is all but a figment of one's imagination in this damn region. To get the money you need, you need to do very underhanded things, and even though I don't condone it, I know we need to do it. I just don't like it when Shade does it because she can go a little overboard and she could accidentally kill someone, if she isn't careful. Hell, she's got a more bad rep than me. She knocked out a cop, stole items from the Pokemart and money from the register, and nearly got herself killed or thrown into jail from the pursuing police force, jeopardizing her Gastly's safety and mine, as well as her's. She could've lost her Gastly, and I could've been questioned and also promptly thrown into jail, losing both of our Trainer Licenses. I mean, we're 30 years old. You'd think she'd have a more sensible mind than that!"

He turned back around, pacing in a tiny circle slowly, as he ran his fingers through his red, flaming hair. He was very stressed, one could obviously tell, but it was getting dangerously high. When a lady had begun to pipe up and share her two cents, Shade had already sneaked back to the pack and was watching and listening from the bushes. She had heard the argument between Pyros and Felix, and even though she loved how her brother was protective, he could be a little overprotective. Even then, he had his reasons, but still. Both Pyros and Shade liked the idea of the scouting, but where were they going to find a cave? A clearing was quite easy to find, but a cave? A cave would be better, then they could all force their attacks in one direction. A cave would also have to be thoroughly explored first before they used it, so they can escape through the cave and hide out or find another way out via a tunnel. A clearing would be easy to explore, as there wouldn't be a lot except for a few trees dotting the little expanse of land, and they could escape to the trees if there ever were any problems. Well, Shade and Pyros were more than physically qualified to climb and jump around the treetops. They weren't so sure about the little group here. Pyros decided to voice his opinions on the possibilities of the clearing and the cave, giving out the points he had thought up of (which were explained just a little above this sentence).

The Darastrix siblings both agreed that it was a special occasion, but then Shade stood up and walked out of the brush, her Gastly hovering just above her. She then stated: "We have to trust in each other. Anywhere, even in presumably 'safe' areas, would have their own kind of Sharpedos stalking and encircling us, whether it be to rob us of our money, Pokemon, or even our lives. If we can't trust each other, we might as well be dead. For trust to happen between us, we need to get to know each other, each other's strengths and weaknesses, and then figure out how to cover for each person's weaknesses with our own strengths. It's like making the perfect Pokemon team for battling or performing. Trust goes a long way, and surviving this hellish region wouldn't be possible if we can't band together and trust in each other. If we can't trust, then we might as well respect each other and be responsible for each other's lives and Pokemon. If we can't do that for longer than our stay here in the forest, then I suggest finding a new group of people to band with, since we don't want to cause tension. What Pyros said about me is true, though. I suffer from random bouts of psychosis and a variant of schizophrenia. Because of that, Pyros would have to stay with me. For safety reasons and the fact that if he stresses too much, he could snap in explosive anger and.... Nobody wants to see that," she grinned maniacally at that last part, sending a shiver through Pyros' spine. Even though he knew what she was talking about, he couldn't exactly remember all those times he'd been like that. The only time he remembered was when he brutally beat someone up, and they had to go to the ER... He had to be sent to jail for a time until the family bailed him out and then told the police that he was going to go through intensive labor to remedy his anger issues. Which helped a little, but only served in making him stronger and last longer in a fight.

Regardless, it seemed that she was back and her voice sounded authoritative. She had a clearer head and Pyros smiled, happy to see her back to normal... For now. There's no telling what could happen to her. It seemed that she was already losing it by that grin, but that was just her. She's a little creepy like that.

Last edited:
Niko had drifted off to sleep for maybe 20 minutes before he was rudely awakened by what at first seemed like somebody deciding to start a BBQ beneath him. His eyes flickered open lazily, his brain still severely addled by the brief moment of rest he had managed to obtain. What was going on? Morning already? Soft amber light bathed the surrounding trees, giving the illusion of dawn breaking but there was something off about it, something Niko's tired mind was yet to put together. His eyes focused a little more. The light was dancing..no...flickering? Then it clicked. Fire!

In a sudden and mad scramble Niko sat up, head whipping around in an attempt to find the flames. That part wasn't hard, they were already licking at the base of the tree he had set up residence in, consuming the bark at an alarming rate. Fuck, fuck, fuck. Where had all this come from? Supressing a cough he reached for the pokeball on his belt that Ronin called home, deciding he had no time to explain the situation to his partner. Another cough now, pillars of smoke rising past his head and off into the night sky, shrouding the stars above. With very few options to chose from Niko opted to leap from his perch straight to the forest floor below, it wasn't like he would be able to climb down past those flames. He landed heavily, falling to all fours to stop himself from completely toppling into the leaf-litter. The impact was enough to knock away the last vestiges of sleep from his head, as well as cause a spike of considerable pain to shoot through his right ankle. But he was already up and running, racing away from the ever growing wall of heat.

He didn't get far when his desperate sprint was interrupted by a pitiful cry. Turning he noticed a group of shambling figures emerging from the smoke, all of which were clearly not human. The largest of the Pokémon suddenly collapsed to the ground, the smaller Pokémon it had been carrying spilling to the floor. Niko hesitated. Sure he had put some distance between himself and the flames but they could certainly still be on his tail. But he couldn't just leave these Pokémon here, he would never forgive himself. So slowly, with the utmost caution, he approached them.

The three smaller Pokémon, Bonsly, were all wailing loudly, gathered around their deathly still protector. Niko recognised this Pokémon, Drayden of Unova owned one, Druddigon. This one had a wicked looking scar over one eye and various burns on its flanks, clearly it had seen better days. In fact...was it still alive? Niko swallowed his doubts and took another step closer. The Druddigon's eyes shot open, yellow iris shining angrily in the low light. It let out a low growl, beginning to get to its feet, its gaze burning into Niko. And then just like that it collapsed again. Out for the count this time. Heart doing its best to jump out of his chest Niko reached forward and out a hand on the unconscious dragon's side, fingers brushing against its sandpaper like scales. No reaction from old scar face. This time the young man was a little more forceful, prodding it instead. Still nothing.

So in what could well be the riskiest decision he had ever made Niko grabbed the dragon by the tail, digging his heels into the soil and dragging it a few meters further from the distant glow of fire. The three Bonsly followed them in a neat line, no longer crying. The exit to the forest....Niko hadn't the foggiest how far away it was and this Druddigon was no lightweight. This was going to be hard work. And with that he dug his heels into the dirt once more, starting the arduous task of getting this thing to the nearest Pokémon centre.

Last edited:
Claire nodded her head repeatedly, apparently agreeing entirely with whatever the twins had just said, not that she was paying much attention. The night air had sapped much of her alertness, and apparently, most of her common sense had gone with it. As far as she was concerned they had just described themselves as 'Impulsive and Psychopathic Girl', and 'Impulsive and Abrasive Boy' which merely elicited mental chuckles of glee and amusement. They, for better or worst, reminded her of home, or -at the very least- what used to be the former criminal syndicate, the Auralian Order. She felt significantly more favor towards the pair, and as her eyes softened she let a goofy smile quirk her lips.

"Get to know each other's strengths and weaknesses...and how do you propose we do that?" She voice betrayed her curiosity, not that she was trying to hide it, and her eyes gleamed. "This...isn't exactly the best time to start Pokebattling, if that's what you're hinting at."

Speaking of Pokebattles, if she remembered correctly the first gym resided in the next town and as the first hurdle of the Mirai league and one that had turned away numerous trainers, the first gym battle was almost assuredly one of the hardest. Strategy, teammates, and preparation would all be necessary to pull out a victory. Although she would never doubt her own team, facing the first gym with only two Pokemon would more likely than not result in a loss being added to her trainer card. From what she knew this forest would be one of the most diverse locations on the island, Pokemon of all types and species could be found here, and it would be a pity to leave with only one capture to her name. But...who should be her next teammate?

Shade shrugged, and replied with: "Anything. Doesn't have to be a battle. You could battle with the person against a common foe to figure them out, too. I wouldn't want to risk fighting each other, especially when it costs to heal your Pokemon."

As she said this, she motioned for everyone to follow her. Pyros pet his little Houndour goodbye before leaving the pack, getting up and sauntering over and following his sister. It seemed like she knew a place. The Houndour, however, didn't want to be left behind and whimpered as he left. She made sure nobody was looking, and then crouched low and sneaked out of the pack, using the bushes and trees to hide her escape. She then stalked Pyros until Shade stopped at the area she was in when she stormed off. A bundle of sticks and twigs at her feet. Ghast picked them up with her gas before Shade turned to see who had followed.

“You understand that not only did I know nothing of that crazy event, but also I was refering to the present choice and not what is unchangeable. Morality exists on intension. Stealing of the berries was for the well being of you and her. Not to mention both of your pokemon. Staying here to only benefit yourself is different.” Felix heard himself mutter upon Pyros rant. But he bit his tounge and listened as it continued on, his comment seemingly either ignored or unheard. He had been raised to learn morals different. He had seen people kill to protect others, and people kill to be selfish assholes. Only one of those classifations of people had a good moral standpoint, the former rather than the later.

He listened as it was cleared up upon the mention of his sister’s issues, which seemed like not much of a big deal. He shrugged it off as mentions of training was tossed out. “We should focus on finding someone to lay our heads first. While the cave is a good idea, in theory I can’t imagine us finding one easily. But maybe something with a one way set up. If we find a thick tree line, we can set up there, using the trees for a back wall. Or maybe we can find some kind of cliff face, either at the top or bottom. Either the edge of it or face of it will also work. We need to spread out of this pack’s territory and see what we can find. We could scout in a set pair. Probably one group to explore the area. I can volunteer as I have a Ghost type, who could help with seeing through illusions, and an Electric type, for light. And then Volt an sense danger, which is a plus.”

About 40 muscle aching, lung straining minutes later and Niko had made decent headway with the arduous task of moving the hefty dragon type. Both dragger and dragged were now a great deal dirtier, churned up mud coating Niko's trainers and the Druddigon's scales. A particularly well concealed tree root halted their progress, getting snagged on the trainers foot and sending him sprawling into a patch of shrubs.

"Damnit!" He growled in frustration, clutching at his ankle in an attempt to soothe the pain. He remained in that position for some time, breathing heavily in an attempt to catch his breath, lungs now free of the smoke that he'd been forced to breathe in earlier. Each gulp of the night air was heavenly and soon he could feel strength returning little by little to his limbs. He glanced over at the still unconscious Druddigon. The creature was still alive, he knew that much, he could see its chest rising up and down as it breathed, scales glistening slightly in the moonlight. The Bonsly had already left at some point during the journey, clearly their loyalty to the one who saved them didn't stretch very far, wandering away the first chance they'd got. He sighed. Now he really couldn't just leave the burnt dragon behind, he would be leaving it all alone.

A glint about 30 meters away caught his eye. Not more fire surely? But it was almost certainly fire, the way the light moved was indicative of flame. But this fire wasn't the out of control raging beast from before, no, this was smaller, more contained. A campfire. The thought of other human beings put a smile on his face, somebody who could help! Hopefully at least, Mirai wasn't known for its friendly population but seeming as this was a popular haunt for new trainers it would more than likely be a few fellow greenhorns. He would simply have to roll the dice, if they were hostile Ronin could probably take care of them. Probably.

Moments later Niko dragged the Druddigon into the small clearing where the campfire sat, promptly falling down face first himself upon arriving. He looked up only briefly, raising a hand in greeting to the pair of what he assumed must be trainers, some guy who looked a little like a run down office worker and a bespectacled, slender young woman who's hair was kept in a pony tail.

"Evening."

Splaying her shoulders rather casually, the night air once again lulling her with promises of bug-bite ridden skin and that nasty crick in your neck you get when you sleep on an uneven surface, which now that she thought about it, weren't all that appealing... Claire sauntered behind Shade, not exactly the spitting image of vigor and alertness but aware enough to avoid fumbling over her own two feet. "Well regardless of what we choose to do, we won't get it done standing around here," she spoke with a yawn and tottered behind Spade.

Now that she thought about it, walking was kind of a pain. The thought of traversing hundreds of square kilometers on foot rapidly instilled her with a sense of pure, unadulterated dread. Walking was an action for only the most robust of trainers, those who wanted to live life to the extreme, feeling the subtle changes of the terrain under their feet and assimilating their senses with the essence of nature itself. Claire was not one such trainer. She imagined herself comfortably perched atop of a Pokemon that exuded a gravitas of grace and nobility, completely detached from the grueling task of placing foot after foot in an effort to reach her next destination. *Scoff* Such a plebeian action. Following this line of thought, there were quite a few Pokemon which could satisfy her requirements but she instantly singled out one above the rest. It was time to acquire a fire type and Ninetails was the crème de la crème.

Immersed as she was in her thoughts, she began to chuckle lightly. Her droopy half-closed eyes, low eerie laughter, and luminous silver hair matched with her unsteady, swaying gait produced rather...'queer' image, which was at best unsettling and at worst ghastly. The person in question, however, was already far too high on her fantasies to have cared.

Eleanor had long since gotten used to Kiran’s general awkwardness. “I’m a pharmacology researcher, actually.” Without showing a single hint of concern for it, she immediately spoke up. There was no point in trying to step around his insecurities, so it was simply best for him that she treated him like an adult.

And so, she continued on.

“It might be time to sleep for the night, though.” Eleanor tapped her fingers to her cheek and rubbed as her brain started to feel more tangibly light. With a quick look at the cheap pocketwatch she had kept in the same pouch as her Pokeballs, it became evident how late it was. It had been a long day, after all. It was only natural for fatigue to eventually set in.

While still sitting in place, she began to stretch her arms out in front of her as far as she could, leaving her to unconsciously close her eyes. With her arms stretched out, she stood straight back up and began arching her back forward and backwards, letting the various muscles in her upper body get a quick and dirty stretch.

But, before her stretch could come to an end, a rustling reached her ears. Said rustling was shortly followed by footsteps. Her eyes shot open as she reached into her pouch for her Pokeballs and got into a defensive stance.

“Get on guard,” she said before directing her focus back towards the source of the sound. There was no reason to expect the incoming entity to be amiable in the slightest. So, all she could do was brace herself.

Seconds passed as the footsteps caused her to tense

...and tense.

...and tense.

And then…

Evening.”

Within an instant, that tension all just completely let go and her muscles relaxed in response to the sight in front of her.

Don’t say it.

It was messy and disheveled.

Don’t say it!

It looked like it had been taken through the ringer.

DON’T say it!

It was--

DON’T SAY IT!

“A hobo and an unconscious Druddigon...”

GODDAMMIT!

“Get on guard,” Eleanor had told him. Kiran instantly thought the worse- it was going to be a giant dragon Pokemon, or a horde of Dusclops that had been following them since he caught the Duskull, or some big thug that was going to shake them down and leave them for dead...Maybe the night was getting to him. In any case he grasped Gina's Pokeball. If he was going down, it wasn't without trying to fight back first. Kiran also grabbed a stick from the dwindling pile of wood. Hit something hard and fast with a stick and it's gonna sting. It could buy them a second- possibly more.

And then the source of the noise unveiled itself- and both trainers lost any sense of tension built up in them.

A disheveled man and the...dragon...thing he was dragging behind him. "Evening." He said, not a hint of malice in the tone. Eleanor put it best.

“A hobo and an unconscious Druddigon...”

The man fit the description to a T. Maybe he was a poor local, and he was dragging his meal- that got grim fast. He didn't seem to be violent from the outset, but looks were deceiving in this region, and Eleanor's quip could be taken as a harsh reminder of the new man's failure. Perhaps he could sweet talk him. Somehow...

"I-I'm sure she didn't mean that personally," Kiran spoke. "It's just she's...um...tired. Yeah, it's been a long day, it's getting late and stuff. My names Kiran! And she's Eleanor." He pointed towards Eleanor with the stick originally planned as a weapon. "We weren't going to jump you or anything, it's just, y'know, dangerous region, thuggish locals and all..." Kiran nervously laughed before continuing. Change the subject change the subject!

"So, uh, what can we do for you? Need some help with your dragon buddy there?"

Shade noticed the odd motion from the lady behind her, but didn't really care, as she also can snap a little like that, too. Pyros just looked at the girl with some confusion as they kept walking past the clearing that Shade was napping in for some while. Shade kept walking through the thicket until they came upon a trail that had three paths branching off of it. Weird. These paths were just worn-down dirt paths, which was strange since they didn't see anyone walking through the forest anyway. That was when Pyros smelled smoke. He turned around to see a glow in the distance. He sent Fiaro from his Poke Ball up to the sky to see what was going on. The Fletchling tweeted as he flew past the treetops and saw the blazing inferno, being put out by the police force.

With a frightened twitter, it flew down and quickly began to say what he had seen, earning a wide-eyed shocked expression from Pyros. Pyros exclaimed: "What? Another fire? And... More police? Oh dear..."

Hearing that dreaded word being called, Shade instantly whirled around to face Pyros, her face ashen. She can't afford to be caught. She sent out her Ghast and then said: "Pyros, go with someone that doesn't have a scouting Pokemon. I'll stay with Claire. We'll have to take two of the three. The other path will just lead back to the cops, and we can't afford to be anywhere near them."

With that out of the way, she signaled for Claire to follow her as she dashed down the second path - the one leading forward. Her Gastly drifted behind her, catching up quite quickly. Pyros checked who needed to be with who, but almost saw the stalking female Houndour from before in the bushes. He thought he was just seeing things and shook his head to get rid of any mirages.

Last edited:
Niko, still practically dead on his feet, found it hard to register what the two said to him as he stood up, half heartedly brushing himself off. His efforts weren't completely in vain, a fairly large amount of dirt fell away and re-joined the earth they stood on. Luckily the "Hobo" comment hadn't really broken through the haze but he had managed to pick out the names Kiran and Eleanor, as well as an offer of help! What a stroke of luck, finding somebody willing to help him in this most unfriendly of places. He would have been content just not being robbed and being allowed to lay near their fire, so this was really surpassing his expectations.

"Niko, a pleasure to meet the somebody who isn't trying to screw me over. Sorry to just show up like this but you wouldn't belive the night I've had. Help would be so, so very appreciated. I dont suppose you have any healing items? This big bastard got caught up in the same forest fire as me and came off a lot worse than I did." He chuckled softly, jerking a thumb behind him towards the slumbering Druddigon.

(Sorry about this, I'm on my phone at work so it was the best I could do.)

Despite the honest, albeit insensitive ‘hobo’ remark, the man calling himself Niko made no verbal nor physical retaliation. Either he was used to it, could not care less, or just failed to hear it at all. Whatever the case, Eleanor simply let it all pass. It was simply best to let sleeping Houndooms lie, after all.

“I do have healing items but from the looks of the injuries, I doubt it would be enough.” Eleanor said before opening Altair’s Pokeball while she made her way to the incapacitated dragon. Given the context clues, it was obviously burned and not in the best shape as a result. Visual inspection would probably yield the same results. “Best to cover for all possibilities, then.”

She was unfortunately not too much of an expert on Pokemon physiology so any further examination than that would likely provide more harm than good. Despite that—

“I could probably synthesize some workable medicine for it. Altair, fetch two Sitrus Berries and a Lum Berry. There were a couple of trees for those nearby.”

With a chirp, the cloudy blue bird flew off in search of those berries.

She would have much rather preferred to pick up some in the morning when the sun peeked over the horizon and before Kiran had woken up, but now was as good a time as any pick some.

“In the meantime, let it rest closer to the fire and give us an explanation on this forest fire.” With that, she reached into her bag to pull out a mortar, pestle, her water canteen, some solvent vials, and some empty vials. “What’s going on over yonder?”

Valeriya trudged along, an hour passing before she noticed the ash on the forest floor finally dying off. Malachite had been having a great time shovelling the stuff - evidently ash, while unpalatable, was very nutritious. He'd even rubbed some over the burn mark from the Volcarona's ember to better blend the scorch mark into his own greenish skin. The trek had been uneventful, and while Val was aware of the dimensions of the forest - oh, helpful booklet - she felt optimistic in that she was making good time. Now to keep up the pace for another ten hours.

Numerous developments had taken place. Evidently the Zubat, blind as it was, was very sensitive to environmental changes; the first time it had detected a pokemon nearby, it had begun frantically flapping and screeching. The problem was, it was perched on Val's shoulder. She almost cut her cheek on the wing-edge, and the buzzing in her ear had taken a while to die down; it wasn't even that big an issue, the Pokemon had only been a Haunter, who was promptly sent packing by Mal. Speaking of the Larvitar, Val had crouched to closer inspect the burn mark and decided that the dual type's anatomy was markedly peculiar. While clearly an organic being, his body seemed to be made completely of rock. Could he grow back a limb or something? What if he ate enough soil? Maybe he moulted like an insect? Oh, yes, speaking of moulting, the Larvesta had begun making a cocoon!

Moulting was something almost all bugs did, some in form of evolution, while others as a show of increase in strength. Bugs grew quickly, and naturally, and while still a baby, hatched but a few hours ago, this Larvesta was strong enough for a chance at survival in the forest; a chance many of his siblings wouldn't have got. Regardless, being unfamiliar with the Larvesta, Val had started when the insect had begun shedding the fine downy layer upon itself. The light fuzz drifted to the ground as Val panicked, Mal looked mildly apprehensive and the Zubat just joined Val in her flailing. Was it evolving already? She knew bugs grew quickly...but this was really quick!

So now she cradled the damp cocoon in her hand, waiting for her brand new evolved pokemon to appear. To think she could get one of those beautiful fire angels so quickly! She'd have to look them up the moment she reached the next town. How long, she wondered, before it would grow as strong as the one she had encountered? Was that a crack in the cocoon? No.

The Zubat seemed to constantly echolocate their way around, which the teen wasn't opposing; if it helped them avoid leviathans like the Volcarona back there, she'd survive a little flapping. Likewise, the Zubat having discovered that the girl was receptive to his warnings, began slowly but surely steering her towards berry bushes - something she noticed well after she was deep in a grove. She had been contemplating the use of Mal's power over soil to douse out some flames; she had nearly done so, when she found her path blocked by the flickering tongues. But she knew a Sandstorm was nothing to sneeze at; summoning an entire storm with her in the centre could cause herself damage, as well as attract attention from about a few kilometers across. And it only took a single stumble to know she mustn't do that; she might not be so lucky again.

"Eyy, look what's up; berries!" Val reached out and wrestled with the branch; the silence of the night air was interrupted by the violent rustling of the branch as Val struggled to pluck the stubborn Oran berry. Notorious for being hardy in every way, as soon as she won, littering the ground with a cascade of leaves, she tossed the hard-won prize to Mal. Orans were far too tough for her; it took a few hours of boiling to get it to the consistency of mashed apple, and only then was it edible - not that it was unpalatable, it was actually mildly sweet. Mal caught the proffered treat and stuffed it in, digging right in with an easy crunch. Orans were juicy, but the dual type didn't grudge the treat, even as juice dribbled down his front. The Zubat stilled for a moment, facing the sound of crunching, before flitting off to the treetops, well within Val's sight. Revealing sharp little fangs, it sunk them into an overripe Oran - they didn't seem to fall off naturally until they rotted - and lay there, sucking.

"Alright. Short break. I want to be out by afternoon." Trekking all night wasn't really her thing, but sleep was no longer an option. She was deep into the forest, alone, and by the looks of the dimming plume of smoke, the fire was being handled by authorities. Maybe she could find said authority and ask for safe passage out- no, that's silly. Why would they do that; go out of their way for-? The girl's attention was diverted as the cocoon wobbled slightly. Musing being immediately replaced by excitement, Val quivered as she set the pupa down, watching its every move. Excrutiatingly slowly, it cracked, and damp anew, the Larvesta crawled out. A little bigger, horns a little darker. But that was it. "...That's it?" That was it.

The little bug experimentally wiggled a foot before turning to the teen with an expectant squeal. It had grown the down it had shed, and its horns were a tad bigger. It could feel its muscles being invigorated, and fire afresh kindled inside its little body. It had crossed one stage on the path to adulthood, but the girl seemed...disappointed almost. "Ah, no, I just thought...you were evolving," She said to no one in particular, trailing off as the bug caught sight of an appealing Oran on a bush, proceeded to burn it off at the stem and then...burn it whole. Not quite burn, but it was charred and crisp nonetheless. But considering how it was contentedly chewing and sipping on the residue, maybe it was just a fire thing. Val looked down at the clear pupal residue in her arms, perfectly formed and as delicate as a spiderweb. What was it made of? It was flexible, but tough, and quite-

The Larvesta snatched it out of her hands, beginning to eat it. "Ew, gross!" Val scrunched her face, discreetly backing away from the happy little bug. "Arceus. Aren't you glad you're not a bug, Mal?" She turned, finding the Larvitar with mouth and arms full of the berry treats. He seemed mildly guilty from binging as he was, but that didn't seem to stop him as he noisily licked off the juice beginning to drip down the sides of his mouth. "Eh- let's...let's just leave..." Dusting off the last of the ash, Val looked around, disgruntled. She was just about tired of the forest, and quite ready to leave.

~~~

Name: Valeriya Mikhailov
Money: 2500 PokeYen
Team: Malachite (Larvitar, M), Zubat (???), Larvesta (???)
Bag: MPL guide and 5 Orans to prevent Mal from overeating

"Niko, a pleasure to meet the somebody who isn't trying to screw me over. Sorry to just show up like this but you wouldn't relive the night I've had. Help would be so, so very appreciated. I don't suppose you have any healing items? This big bastard got caught up in the same forest fire as me and came off a lot worse than I did."

Niko...not a hard name to remember. Better yet, he seemed to have glossed over the stick and hobo comment. Which made things significantly easier.

And it also seemed the dragon was not for eating, but rather to be saved. From a forest fire?! Kiran thought there was a vaguely smoky scent in the air. It had to be far off though- he hadn't seen the flames on the horizon or anything. That being said, Kiran also didn't see much reason for the man to lie either, so it obviously had to happen...Hmm. He had potions, but those were expensive. If he didn't have any options though...Wait.

Heal Pulse...A move that healed those it hits. While useless in battle, he did think he could use it to heal his injured Pokemon on the go...And maybe stretch out a hand to help some others too.

"I do have healing items but from the looks of the injuries, I doubt it would be enough. Best to cover for all possibilities, then.” Eleanor spoke, letting out her Swablu she had caught earlier that day. She gave it orders, and off the little bird went. For a new catch, it took orders well- but as he noted earlier, they were predisposed as friendly. Still, impressive...Perhaps he could bring up the Heal Pulse later now that Eleanor had things covered.

“In the meantime, let it rest closer to the fire and give us an explanation on this forest fire." Eleanor continued after her bird friend had left, setting up a little lab of sorts- likely about to use her skills as pharmacology researcher. Was she going to make a paste of the berries or something?...Not that it mattered in the end. Results were all that truly mattered in the grand scheme of things.

He poked at the fire with the stick he still grasped. He wasn't worried about the man anymore, but the fire did need to be poked to keep it going. "I guess it says something about how big this forest is, given the fact we haven't seen this forest fire yet. If it's still going. I'd imagine some authorities would have to notice it sooner or later..."

“It only makes sense that there is chaos.” Felix said as words were mentioned about there being a fire. “Things happen here and we shouldn’t get involved. We are connected to that Houndour Pack, which isn’t the best option with a fire. They are fire devils. I say we all go the opposite way, find somewhere to rest, and sleep.” The boy’s voice was stern as he spoke. It was getting late, and he hadn’t had much sleep. While he was acting tough, which was needed in this place, he was still a child. He was a boy, being a man. Not really good for ones sanity.

The sound of the young man's voice abruptly snapped Claire from her daydreaming. 'Though since it's already night would it still be considered daydreaming?' While pondering questions that had absolutely no relevance to their current situation, she continued trotting on sticking to Shade like her shadow...which...wasn't visible at night... Okay, maybe not like her shadow... bad analogy. She stuck to Shade like Vespiqueen stuck to honey or would Combee make more sense? Maybe Beedrill? Well, what she stuck to Shade like wasn't the issue! All that mattered was that she was following the girl who was a mere few steps...in...front of her?

Legs rooting to the ground Claire blinked, she took a good hard stare ahead of her and saw only trees. Swiveling her head left? More trees! to the right? yet still a sea of greenery and branches. Behind her? Surprisingly there weren't any trees there, just an endless swathe of knee-high grass.

Chewing her lip in frustration Claire tried to recall where she could've possibly strayed from the group, but of course, it could've been anywhere. She had been so immersed in her fantasies that she hadn't paid even the slightest smidgeon attention to her surroundings. Slapping her hands against her cheeks with a resounding
'Pa!' She dispelled her grogginess. Her mind worked a thousand thoughts per minute, calculating her next action. After a solid 5 minutes of thought, she simply shrugged. Eyes gleaming she picked up a stick and gave it a toss. Pupils locked onto the wooden line as it twirled, whistling through the chilled night air. With a soft thud, it landed, her gaze following the tip as is pointed towards a grove of trees to her right which rustled with movement.

Claire watched as auburn fur adorned soft brown eyes that peeked through the shrubbery. Eyes as red as blood ruby met eyes as brown as the sunkissed skin of an Alolan beauty, for a few silent moments they stared. With a startled "Pix?!" those brown eyes disappeared, replaced by tuffs of fur, something Claire recognized as tails- A total of 6. The fleeting image of 6 flared tails remained in Claire's mind even after the Pokemon itself had fled. Releasing a startled 'uwa!?' of her own the female trainer recognized the Pokemon as Vupix. Legs blurring into motion she gave chase, paying no heed to the thistles and jagged branches that whipped past her skin as she ran. Although it usually would've been hard to track such a small Pokemon, and in the dead of night no less, the ephemeral sway of 6 Auburn tails was unmistakable against the dark green of the forest shrubbery. Adrenaline rushing through her veins Claire was the most awake she'd been all night, her hands fumbled over the straps of her bag, fiddling with them to no avail. Her nerves had completely snuffed out any former notions of deftness and dexterity she might've had.

Finally, the bag unlocked and her hasty fingers snaked their way into its contents. She wormed around desperately passing her fingers over anything remotely round, berries and accessories were tossed aside one by one until finally, she felt the chill of a metal ball. She yanked the Pokeball from her bag- along with half the bag's contents- and threw it at the fleeing Pokemon. The Pokeball hit it square on the back and bounced into the air the Vulpix disappearing in a flash of light. Without wasting a second Claire plunged her hands back into her, now much emptier, bag. She groped around finding her two remaining Pokeballs, Chysa's and the nameless Sewaddle's, it would appear she'd dropped her 4th Pokeball, but she didn't care. She released both of her Pokemon, the static sheep and leaf-clothed caterpillar making their appearance just in time for the Vulpix to break free from its confines. She hadn't expected to catch a perfectly healthy Pokemon with the casual toss of a Pokeball, but at least its struggle to break free had bought her enough time to whip out her two companions.

"Chysa, [Thunder Wave]! Umm.... you.... errrr...Athena! [String Shot]!"

With that, the Sewaddle's name was decided, named after the goddess of weaving and strategic warfare. Both attacks landed on the completely unprepared Vulpix, and it stagged backward, its muscles contracting due to the pulse of electricity. Copious amounts of sticky string were strewn about haphazardly tying the Vulpix the surrounding forest. The Sewaddle, now named Athena, seemed utterly confused. It had reacted to the trainer's voice, but that was all, it was merely a reaction. It had no recollection of the silver-haired girl, so why would it listen to her? In fact, as soon as Athena had gathered her bearings... she fled! Inching her way up a tree at a speed that was remarkable for such a small creature.

"Ughhh..." Claire groaned but kept her eye on the prize. She could deal with Athena later seeing as it had run into a tree instead of off into the forest. Meanwhile, the paralyzed and ensnared Vulpix cried out in distress, a volley of [Ember]s spewed from its muzzle splashing onto its bindings which then, unsurprisingly, ignited. The flames greedily devoured the silky threads spreading until they hit the forest, which in a display of inflammability, caught fire as well. Claire clenched her teeth, shielded her face from the flames with an arm, and persevered. Chysa crackled with arcs of electricity as she fired off a [Thunder Shock]. It was a great assist to Claire's attempts to capture the Vulpix, and similarly, a great assist to the flames as more sections of the forest caught fire from wayward bolts of thunder. The Vulpix was pushed backward, falling onto the Pokeball which had previously held it captive. The technological device triggered, sucking the Vulpix inward with a flash. Claire stared with baited breath as the ball rolled once...twice and then thrice, letting out a satisfying 'click' as the Vulpix was caught.

"Chysa, Pokeball! I'll get Athena!"

With haste Claire scaled the tree, surprising even herself with the feat of agility. Finding Athena settled onto a branch Claire wrapped her legs around the closest branch she could find, one that could also support her weight of course. Soon, she was face to face with the bug type staring into its beady little eyes. She stretched out an arm, almost losing her balance, and assuring the Pokemon she meant no harm. She urged it to remember the fire caused by the Houndoom pack and watched with relief as a light of realization passed through its pupils. "I barely managed to save you once and I'm not too eager to test my luck again." Her eyes scanned the ever-growing forest fire and she bit her lip in anxiety. Maybe it was Claire's sincerity, or Athena's realization that it couldn't escape this fire on its own, or maybe even a combination of the two, but with hints of reluctance, the bug-type crawled onto Claire's outstretched hand. Bellow the trainer Chysa stood waiting, dancing on her hooves restlessly, the Pokeball stuck to her wool like a refrigerator magnet. Claire slid down the tree's trunk, wincing at the few splinters she'd gotten for her trouble, and swept Chysa into her arms. With her two Pokemon cradled in her arms, and a Pokeball fixed to the Mareep's wool, she high-tailed her way outta there.

Bolting through the forest, her breathing ragged and her legs pumping as fast as they would take her, Claire suddenly faltered, the sensation of earth beneath her feet strangely absent. Her already racing heart almost burst as she panicked, her body writhed as she tried to regain balance ultimately failing. She toppled head over keister into a sizable hole, falling for what seemed like an eternity. Sharp streaks of pain ripped through her body as she landed. Drawing in a cold breath she hissed, suppressing her urge to scream. The passenger Pokemon spilled from her arms, and the Pokeball hanging from Chysa's wool slipped off, bounced twice and released a very upset Vulpix. The three Pokemon exchanged glances, then turned to their trainer, who was at this point too wiped to move even a muscle. If she could have, Claire would've shrugged. "A hole is as good a place as any to take a breather..." Her words, which were aimed more towards herself than anything, echoed slightly as if in response to her, "as good a place as any...". That confirmed it. Too floored to even twitch, Claire sighed, staring up into the night sky.